Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought provoking article...

Thought provoking article...

... well at least it was to me.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729

Re: Thought provoking article...

Interesting article. That chart was very disturbing about number of gun related deaths in 2014 in the US!
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Well in Chicago if the thugs don't shoot you, **edited by admin**
    It's not a gun issue, its a cultural issue.
    Why do you think that gun violence is so much worse in the US than in these other countries listed in that article?
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Interesting article. That chart was very disturbing about number of gun related deaths in 2014 in the US!
    Yeah, but the only thing that is shocking about it is it's not quite true.

About 2500 of those deaths are self-defense, and, without them, the victims would, perhaps been killed and ended up as murders.

Almost 5000 were criminal homicides, murders, which are the only ones, besides accidents, IMO, that are worth elimination.

Accidents, with guns, account for about 100 deaths per year, although it can vary widely.

Suicides, with guns, account for only 25% of all suicides in the US, and 60% of all murders, about 12,500 per year.

That's about 20,000 deaths by guns where did they get the other 13,000?

It seems a bit incongruous to me that suicides that are doctor assisted only count as a suicide but without doctor assistance it's a murder.

Unfortunately, doctors who misapply medications account for over 100,000 deaths per year.

I find the doctor's numbers much more shocking, personally.

That England has less violence than America is a myth.

England has 4X the rate of armed robberies as the US, just not with guns.

Knives, baseball bats, sure.

So, their gun violence IS less, but their violence level is way past us!
    PROV 25:26 Like a muddied spring, and a polluted well, so is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked. -World English Bible

MT 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

As opposed to the bad man that does nothing?

MT 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Righteousness comes from the Bible, but our ability to possess the Bible comes from the possession of the sword.

Blog Entries

Why do you think that gun violence is so much worse in the US than in these other countries listed in that article?
    There is no such thing as "gun violence." Gun's are inanimate objects.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewhenry View Post
    ... well at least it was to me.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729
    I do not care what the rest of the world does. The problem in the USA is not guns, it is meth, Coke, heroin, and the system that lets people who are crazier than a bed bug freely walk our streets.

Paul explained the world in Galatians 3-4. Only those in Christ can be free, because we have the Holy Spirit. Non-believers in a Christian society of freedom cannot function. Non-Christians can only function under oppression. Therefore the Non-Christian in America has no control over himself and he kills, steals, and destroys, just like his father. Paul told us a long time ago how the world after Christ would work. He was right. Btw, this is why the Iraq project didn't work. Anti-Christians cannot function in freedom. They must be oppressed. This is also why most Democrats are atheists. They need oppression as well.

There is no such thing as "gun violence." Gun's are inanimate objects.
    I wonder if people from other countries who plan on visiting the US and have read the statistics on how countries compare on gun deaths think they will be visiting the wild, wild West.

Blog Entries

I wonder if people from other countries who plan on visiting the US and have read the statistics on how countries compare on gun deaths think they will be visiting the wild, wild West.
    The "wild wild west" is an urban myth. It was far less violent than Britain is today.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

The "wild wild west" is an urban myth. It was far less violent than Britain is today.
    Figure of speech. How much of the violence in Britian today has to do with the rise in population of Muslims there?

[QUOTE=mailmandan;3360082]I wonder if people from other countries who plan on visiting the US and have read the statistics on how countries compare on gun deaths think they will be visiting the wild,

Compare to South Africa .......... do not think the US can be that bad........

Quote Originally Posted by BCV View Post
    Compare to South Africa .......... do not think the US can be that bad........
    I've heard horror stories about the violence in South Africa.

According to the following Wikipedia page the USA murder rate is 3.9, compared to 0.9 for the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...te?wprov=sfla1

I think it's a lower murder rate, but higher violent crime rate.

'violent crime' rate is probably not that easy to compare between countries seeing different countries and jurisdictions have differing reporting mechanisms and different definitions of violent crime.

Thread Information