Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

  1. #1

    How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Here are some possibilities:

    1. He asked the Father, and the Father did them.

    2. He was God in the flesh, so He did them as God.

    3. He was filled with the Spirit and the power of the Spirit was on Him as He did them, much as the Apostles later did them.

    4. All or a combination of one or more of the three options above.

    Here's one argument:

    First
    ,we know that, “although [Jesus] existed in the form of God, … [He] emptied Himself,taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.”Philippians 2:6-7.Indeed, He “did notregard equality with God a thing to be grasped.” Philippians 2:6.


    Second
    , there is virtually no evidencethat the Father did anything directly and not by the Holy Spirit at the requestof Jesus.
    The closest text says:“But if I cast out demonsby the finger of God,then the kingdom of God has comeupon you.”Luke 11:20.However, Matthew 12:28says it even more specifically:“Butif I cast out demonsby the Spirit of God, then the kingdom ofGod has come upon you.”

    He also says:


    The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me
    , Because Heanointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, Andrecovery of sight to the blind, Toset free those who are oppressed,Luke 4:18.
    Not only do Matthew12:28 and Luke 4:18 settle the matter as to exorcisms (freeing the oppressed)and healings (sight to the blind), but they help explain that God did certainthings in the Old Testament through the Holy Spirit, though they were said tobe done by the “finger of God.” (Cf., Plagueof gnats, Exodus 8:19; and the Ten Commandments written in stone, Exodus 31:18;Deuteronomy 9:10).

    Virtuallyall of Jesus’ healings, raisings from the dead and exorcisms were performed bythe power of the Holy Spirit:
    You know ofJesus of Nazareth, how God anointedHim with the Holy Spiritand with power, and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil,for God was with Him.Acts 10:38.So far as His miraclesof changing water to wine, walking on water and changing the weather,multiplying loaves and fish, catching many fish, putting coins in their mouths and beingtransfigured, there is no definitive proof.However, between the definition of “the finger of God” and the workingof the Spirit in healings and exorcisms, there is no real reason to suspectanother agent besides the Holy Spirit.

    Theclosest thing to an ambiguity is where Jesus tells the disciples the reason whythey could not cast out the more difficult demon.He says, “This kind cannot come out byanything but prayer.”Mark 9:29.So, does that mean the Father must directlyintervene because the Spirit is unable?Or, far more likely, is it that the authority and/or power necessarywith such demons must be increased via an answer to prayer?
    Sofar as the authoritative sermons of Jesus, He Himself testifies:“He whom God has sent speaks the words ofGod; for He gives the Spirit without measure.”John 3:34.

    So far as knowing the thoughts of a person,Jesus seems to directly apprehend these without any intervening petition to theFather, indicating that, if this was miraculous, it was through the power ofthe Spirit rather than through petition to the Father:

    Immediately Jesus, aware in His spiritthat they were reasoning that way within themselves, said to them, “Why are youreasoning about these things in your hearts?Mark 2:8

    Finally
    , the fact that Jesus was ableto give the disciples authority and power to heal and cast out demons (Matthew10:1) is consistent with how the Spirit has functioned in the past.Elijah gave a double portion of the Spiritwhich was on Him to Elisha.2 Kings2:9-25.Indeed, if we examine the typesof miracles performed by Elijah and Elisha in 1st & 2ndKings, we see that by the power of the Spirit upon them they performed manymiracles with water, weather, multiplying of food and many others, not tomention healings and even raising from the dead.

    Edited point: I made this same argument here, in a thread with a similar title, but it was never addressed by anyone.
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

  2. #2

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    He did them through the power of The Holy Spirit.

  3. #3

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    He did them through the power of The Holy Spirit.
    Did He obey the Father by the power of the HS?
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

  4. #4

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    YHWH never says how Y'SHUA performed miracles.

    IF HE wants you to know (which is very very unlikely) , seek the answer from HIM. (It's not required nor expected to know how, and most often the ones all around the world explaining how (as if they know) are heretics/ false prophets, antichrists, false teachers/ deceiving the congregations/ audiences)

  5. #5

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcraig View Post
    It's not required nor expected to know how
    Apparently the Apostles were supposed to know, and did. In fact, all believers should know.

    John 14:12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

  6. #6

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Apparently the Apostles were supposed to know, and did. In fact, all believers should know.

    John 14:12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
    You appear to be mixed up between knowing "how" to do something, and just doing it.

    Remember the disciples came back AMAZED and DELIGHTED that EVERYONE they met had been healed, and the demons cast out EASILY.

    THIS IS STILL TRUE TODAY.

    Yet no one claims nor tries to tell "how".

    And JESUS says plainly , do not be rejoicing that the sick are healed, and the demons flee,
    rather (IF IT IS TRUE) , rejoice that your names are written in the LAMBS BOOK OF LIFE.

    They didn't know how, they just rejoiced that it was so !

  7. #7

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcraig View Post
    You appear to be mixed up between knowing "how" to do something, and just doing it.

    Remember the disciples came back AMAZED and DELIGHTED that EVERYONE they met had been healed, and the demons cast out EASILY.

    THIS IS STILL TRUE TODAY.

    Yet no one claims nor tries to tell "how".

    And JESUS says plainly , do not be rejoicing that the sick are healed, and the demons flee,
    rather (IF IT IS TRUE) , rejoice that your names are written in the LAMBS BOOK OF LIFE.

    They didn't know how, they just rejoiced that it was so !
    Luke 10: 17 The [i]seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” Amazed? Maybe.

    Jeffcraig, you say I need to study the Scriptures and maybe God will let me know. yet the OP contains Scriptures. Do you disagree with how I have applied them?
    “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever,
    that we may observe all the words of this law."
    Deuteronomy 29:29

  8. #8

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Did He obey the Father by the power of the HS?
    No power involved there.

  9. #9

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Luke 10: 17 The [i]seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” Amazed? Maybe. Jeffcraig, you say I need to study the Scriptures and maybe God will let me know. yet the OP contains Scriptures. Do you disagree with how I have applied them?
    You haven't quoted me anywhere I said you need to study Scriptures. I looked thru this thread and it's not here. So where ? I don't know if nor how you have applied Scriptures so far in your life. Are you healing , casting out demons, and doing miracles ? (most churches forbid healing even. Do you know of one that does not forbid healing ? )

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,115

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcraig View Post
    YHWH never says how Y'SHUA performed miracles.
    This statement seems conflicted and confused.

    Y'SHUA is YHWH, according to dozens of scriptures.

    If Y'SHUA is not YHWH, then the NT can be discarded as fraudulent.

  11. #11

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Here are some possibilities:

    1. He asked the Father, and the Father did them.

    2. He was God in the flesh, so He did them as God.

    3. He was filled with the Spirit and the power of the Spirit was on Him as He did them, much as the Apostles later did them.

    4. All or a combination of one or more of the three options above.
    Interesting.

    Jesus performed miracles due to the power bestowed on Him by the Father, as He was basically ASSIGNED the role of God by the Father, IMO.

    Which is possibly due to the fact that we are all too unclean for the Father to associate with, EXCEPT, PERHAPS, in conversation.
    PROV 25:26 Like a muddied spring, and a polluted well, so is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked. -World English Bible

    MT 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.


    As opposed to the bad man that does nothing?

    MT 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

    Righteousness comes from the Bible, but our ability to possess the Bible comes from the possession of the sword.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    4,641

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelog View Post
    Here are some possibilities:

    1. He asked the Father, and the Father did them.

    2. He was God in the flesh, so He did them as God.

    3. He was filled with the Spirit and the power of the Spirit was on Him as He did them, much as the Apostles later did them.

    4. All or a combination of one or more of the three options above.
    He did it according to the will of the Father and by faith.

    Mat_13:58 Because they did not have faith, he did not perform many miracles there.

  13. #13

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    This statement seems conflicted and confused. Y'SHUA is YHWH, according to dozens of scriptures. If Y'SHUA is not YHWH, then the NT can be discarded as fraudulent.
    ??? If you get the SCRIPTURES with YHWH and Y'SHUA (or YESHUA) properly in the WORD, instead of 'God' , you might see, YHWH willing, that YHWH and Y'SHUA are ECHAD. See also JOHN 17, Y'SHUA'S PRAYER, for the disciples to be ECHAD. i.e. there is no SCRIPTURE that says YHWH is Y'SHUA. Only that they are ECHAD.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,115

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcraig View Post
    ??? If you get the SCRIPTURES with YHWH and Y'SHUA (or YESHUA) properly in the WORD, instead of 'God' , you might see, YHWH willing, that YHWH and Y'SHUA are ECHAD. See also JOHN 17, Y'SHUA'S PRAYER, for the disciples to be ECHAD. i.e. there is no SCRIPTURE that says YHWH is Y'SHUA. Only that they are ECHAD.
    I'm not arguing on them being echad/one like yshua and the disciples are echad/one.

    I agree there may be no verses that say yhwh is yshua.
    However, there are dozens of verses that show yshua is yhwh.

    Are you open to hear and receive them, or are you closed to considering the idea that the scriptures teach yshua is yhwh?

    I'll be happy to share verses, if you are open and willing to consider if shown.
    In the scriptures the Holy Spirit will teach and lead in all understanding.

  15. #15

    Re: How Did Jesus Perform Miracles?

    Why do you 'choose'?* to leave out the many many verses (I'll let you find them yourself)

    that clearly show YHWH is not Y'SHUA ?

    *? perhaps you don't choose - the decision was made for you by someone else (this happens) - and so you cannot choose, unless YHWH changes things.

    Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    I'm not arguing on them being echad/one like yshua and the disciples are echad/one.

    I agree there may be no verses that say yhwh is yshua.
    However, there are dozens of verses that show yshua is yhwh.

    Are you open to hear and receive them, or are you closed to considering the idea that the scriptures teach yshua is yhwh?

    I'll be happy to share verses, if you are open and willing to consider if shown.
    In the scriptures the Holy Spirit will teach and lead in all understanding.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How did Jesus do His miracles?
    By ChangedByHim in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 184
    Last Post: Apr 15th 2015, 10:09 PM
  2. Replies: 50
    Last Post: Nov 17th 2014, 11:39 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Dec 12th 2013, 12:39 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 3rd 2009, 06:04 AM
  5. Do you perform in your church band?
    By groovemongrel in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Dec 18th 2008, 09:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •