Thread: Why did Jesus say he came to uphold the Law and say that nothing that enters defiles?

Why did Jesus say he came to uphold the Law and say that nothing that enters defiles?

This can't be a hard one. People have been reading the bible for two thousand years and noticing those two in proximity, so it can't be that hard to figure out. What is the resolution to what appears to be a contradiction?

Re: Why did Jesus say he came to uphold the Law and say that nothing that enters defi

Quote Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
    This can't be a hard one. People have been reading the bible for two thousand years and noticing those two in proximity, so it can't be that hard to figure out.
    Yet 95% never understand this.

"Why did Jesus say he came to uphold the Law and say that nothing that enters defiles?"

JESUS said that everything the FATHER gave HIM to say, HE said.

Re: Why did Jesus say he came to uphold the Law and say that nothing that enters defi

I found something: http://defendinginerrancy.com/bible-...ew_5.17-18.php

And as for the "all foods clean" question in particular: http://messianicpublications.com/rob...l-foods-clean/

Basically, the second one says that Jesus wasn't getting rid of the food laws. Rather, Jesus said that bread (which is never "unkosher") is not "unclean" just because the disciples didn't do the ritual.

I found something: http://defendinginerrancy.com/bible-...ew_5.17-18.php

And as for the "all foods clean" question in particular: http://messianicpublications.com/rob...l-foods-clean/

Basically, the second one says that Jesus wasn't getting rid of the food laws. Rather, Jesus said that bread (which is never "unkosher") is not "unclean" just because the disciples didn't do the ritual.
    Exactly! What was it that Jesus was saying here?

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Now, where did the Law come from?

Neh 9:7 Thou art the LORD the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham;
    Neh 9:8 And foundest his heart faithful before thee, and madest a covenant with him to give the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Jebusites, and the Girga****es, to give it, I say, to his seed, and hast performed thy words; for thou art righteous:
    Neh 9:9 And didst see the affliction of our fathers in Egypt, and heardest their cry by the Red sea;
    Neh 9:10 And shewedst signs and wonders upon Pharaoh, and on all his servants, and on all the people of his land: for thou knewest that they dealt proudly against them. So didst thou get thee a name, as it is this day.
    Neh 9:11 And thou didst divide the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land; and their persecutors thou threwest into the deeps, as a stone into the mighty waters.
    Neh 9:12 Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar; and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way wherein they should go.
    Neh 9:13 Thou camest down also upon mount Sinai, and spakest with them from heaven, and gavest them right judgments, and true laws, good statutes and commandments:
    Neh 9:14 And madest known unto them thy holy sabbath, and commandedst them precepts, statutes, and laws, by the hand of Moses thy servant:

These are God's Laws that were given to Moses and Moses was simply the one who passed them on.
    I've been throwed outta better places than this.

Blog Entries

[1] Where did Jesus say that he came to "uphold" the law?

[2] The disciples were not breaking God's Law by not washing their hands before eating. God had no law about that. They were ignoring a tradition that the elders made up - which had nothing to do with hygiene, but "looking" religious.

Mark 7:5 - "Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, "Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?"
    ".....it's your nickel"

This can't be a hard one. People have been reading the bible for two thousand years and noticing those two in proximity, so it can't be that hard to figure out. What is the resolution to what appears to be a contradiction?
    Jesus came to fulfill, not to uphold the law. The law just means scripture in this case. Still today it is not uncommon for the Hebrew scriptures and prophets to be called "the law." Jesus Himself did so as well in John 10 when quoting Psalms.

Much of the scripture has already been fulfilled by Christ, with much more to go. Thus proving the reality of a second coming.

My initial problem came from initially understanding "nothing" as being unqualified and referring to any food, even pork. Of course, those links refute that.

My initial problem came from initially understanding "nothing" as being unqualified and referring to any food, even pork. Of course, those links refute that.
    What if someone destroyed another man's (or childs) faith ?

What does GOD'S WORD say happens to that one who destroyed another persons faith ?

What do you mean? I do not understand.

Jesus lived under the Mosaic law. Imo, Jesus upheld the law, meaning to he obey the law of Moses himself. If Jesus sinned he would not have been able to die for our sins, since he would not be sinless.

Instead he fulfilled the law and established a new covenant and law (the law of the spirit).

I understand that in order to be a good minister of Jesus Christ (1 Timothy 4:4-6) I must be lesser in the kingdom (Matthew 5:19 + Leviticus 11), but I really feel that these contradictions need to be reconciled, so I set forth to you Hebrews 7:12.

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

I feel that this change of law is defined as a change from outward observance of a requirement to a state of being--wherein one walks according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh. If a person bears the fruit of the Spirit, there is no law that will condemn him for doing things that stem from the fruit of the Spirit.

If I have self-control for example, then I am able to abstain from certain meats forbidden by the Old Testament.

Nevertheless according to 1 Timothy 4:4-6, every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving; for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Romans 8:7 tells me that if I am spiritually-minded, I am subject in my mind to the law of God. Therefore I wil choose to obey the dietary laws of the Old Testament.

Nevertheless Romans 6:14, 7:4, 7:6, Galatians 2:19, 3:21-25, and many other verses tell me that I am not under the law as a believer; and what this means is that I am not condemned if I do happen to eat a sausage McMuffin at some point in the future.

Jesus is the True Israel.

He is the Servant of The Lord that was to come.

Ot. Israel failed as God's Covenant Son

Jesus succeeds where they failed....
    Isa42
    21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Gal4;
    4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.
    28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.

30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Thread Information