Page 1 of 41 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinners' Prayer References

Banghead Sinners' Prayer References

Hi! I have silly question. Where in the New Testament is the Sinners' Prayer located? I was asked for scripture references and have come up short.

Thanks in advance!!

Blog Entries

Re: Sinners' Prayer References

Its not in the Bible. Little Primer >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinner's_prayer

Lots of controversy around this too.
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

Thanks for the link. I will go there now.....

In regards to the sinner's prayer, saying a sinner's prayer will not accomplish anything on its own. I must have prayed the sinner's prayer 20 different times with Pat Robertson while watching the 700 Club when I was a teenager, yet nothing happened. Why? Because there was no genuine repentance and faith. Such a prayer needs to include what a person knows, understands, and believes about their sinfulness and need for salvation, followed by repentance/faith. For a person who comes to the realization that he is lost and in need of Jesus Christ to save him, he may only obtain salvation by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. He needs to understand that Jesus Christ, God in human form, took his sins and paid the penalty for his sins by His sacrifice on the cross of Calvary, was buried, and rose again the third day, and he need only make a genuine and willful decision to totally trust in Jesus and His payment for his sin in order to be instantly saved (granted eternal life). In doing this he is calling on the name of the Lord to save him. Now if subsequent to such a decision, the person would like to pray what some call a "sinner’s prayer," (calling on the name of the Lord to save him in prayer) he may do so, as long as he understands that it was his decision to trust in Christ for salvation that apprehends his salvation and not simply reciting a prayer in of itself. Prayer, in of itself does not save, as if it's a magical formula to recite a set of words, but prayer may be used to call upon the name of the Lord in faith to become saved.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Romans ch. 10 vs. 9-10 is a base scripture for the sinners prayer. " If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead , you will be saved". We come to Christ through repentance, belief, and confession. So, how is that done ? One makes peace with God through communication with God. If one repents, then who do they repent to ? God...How ? Through prayer. One believes with the heart, but proof of a heart change is confession of Christ. Not as to a priest , but to God. You will not find "the sinners prayer" in scripture. What you will find is a call to repentance ( Acts ) and a profession of faith. The sinners prayer is not what saves a person, but the heart of the person praying it is.

There are some who hate the sinners prayer, then there are those who understand how to let God deal with hearts , and to guide someone into a relationship with God ( see the Etheopian munich ). I've prayed with many people to repent and believe. I've also just stepped back and watched people cry out to God on their own. It depends on the person , and how God is dealing with them. One thing is for sure, the parable of the soils always comes into reality , regardless of how someone professes Jesus as Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Romans ch. 10 vs. 9-10 is a base scripture for the sinners prayer. " If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead , you will be saved". We come to Christ through repentance, belief, and confession. So, how is that done ? One makes peace with God through communication with God. If one repents, then who do the repent to ? God...How ? Through prayer. One believes with the heart, but proof of a heart change is confession of Christ. Not as to a priest , but to God. You will not find "the sinners prayer" in scripture. What you will find is a call to repentance ( Acts ) and a profession of faith. The sinners prayer is not what saves a person, but the heart of the person praying it is.

There are some who hate the sinners prayer, then there are those who understand how to let God deal with hearts , and to guide someone into a relationship with God ( see the Etheopian munich ). I've prayed with many people to repent and believe. I've also just stepped back and watched people cry out to God on their own. It depends on the person , and how God is dealing with them. One thing is for sure, the parable of the soils always comes into reality , regardless of how someone professes Jesus as Lord.
    Very good.

Romans ch. 10 vs. 9-10 is a base scripture for the sinners prayer. " If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead , you will be saved". We come to Christ through repentance, belief, and confession. So, how is that done ? One makes peace with God through communication with God. If one repents, then who do the repent to ? God...How ? Through prayer. One believes with the heart, but proof of a heart change is confession of Christ. Not as to a priest , but to God. You will not find "the sinners prayer" in scripture. What you will find is a call to repentance ( Acts ) and a profession of faith. The sinners prayer is not what saves a person, but the heart of the person praying it is.

Excellent! The problem with the sinners prayer is how it is used rather than what it is. When it is used as a formula, it's not used correctly. The publican woudn't lift his eyes towards heaven and just asked God for mercy. That was enough. We don't even know if the Ethiopian you referred to uttered a prayer at all. Zacheus didn't seem to pray. Some people just believe and pray later.

One thing I am not fond of is how people say "now, if you were sincere in your heart, and believed with your whole heart you are saved". I have come to realize that I never know if my heart is sincere or not. Its wicked and deceitful so I don't trust my ability to even know if I am sincere or mean something with all of my heart. My only hope, is not my sincerity, or faith, but Jesus Himself. It took me a while to realize the Object of my faith was more important than the purity or size of my faith.

Grace to you!

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Amen! Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. I understand confessing with our mouth that Jesus is Lord and believing in our heart that God raised Him from the dead not as two separate steps to salvation but chronologically together. Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, in your mouth and in your heart" (together) that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, (notice the reverse order from verse 9 to verse 10) - that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

I have come across many people (who teach salvation by works) that hate the sinner's prayer because they believe that faith in Christ is insufficient to save. Yet repent and believe is the successful end result of calling on the name of the Lord in prayer to save you.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
    Acts 2:37-39

The sinners prayer establishes the relationship and brings in a spiritual reality into the heart
    of the sinner, turning a sinner into a saint.

I have no issue with the sinner's prayer itself. My only problem is with the idea that as long as someone prayed that prayer years ago, it doesn't matter how they live.

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    I have no issue with the sinner's prayer itself. My only problem is with the idea that as long as someone prayed that prayer years ago, it doesn't matter how they live.
    Or that praying the prayer is what saves them. It is a tool that can be useful or misused.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by LightofLife View Post
    When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?”

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
    Acts 2:37-39

The sinners prayer establishes the relationship and brings in a spiritual reality into the heart
    of the sinner, turning a sinner into a saint.
    You are suggesting something a person does;
    1)brings in a spiritual reality to the heart?
    2) establishes a relationship?
    3)and turns the sinner into a saint?

Ezk 36:25-27 indicates that this is the supernatural work of God, not something a man does.
    Believers baptism is the proper confession of the mouth as you give testimony to His grace.
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

The sinners prayer as i see it is in...

Luke 18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Jude
    Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Blog Entries

Sinners prayer is not in the Bible. Repent and be baptized (Acts 2: 37-39) is in the Bible. That's what Peter commanded on Pentecost. Why some Protestants changed that 500 years ago to something not in Bible I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    Sinners prayer is not in the Bible. Repent and be baptized (Acts 2: 37-39) is in the Bible. That's what Peter commanded on Pentecost. Why some Protestants changed that 500 years ago to something not in Bible I don't know.
    Repent and be baptized (Acts 2:38) is in the Bible, yet in Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis. Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

*In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Once again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47 - this is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing Scripture with Scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31: 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*

Thread Information