Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 136 to 142 of 142

Thread: The golden chain of redemption

  1. #136

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    So the conclusion of your reply here is that everyone exercised their free-will... except for Dan567, who did as the OPer ordained
    That would not be my reply as I know free will does not exist.
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

  2. #137

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    To go to humanistic philosophy for your view and definitions is to be rejected. the unsaved so called "genius" intellectuals ,and philosophers do not know God, or his word...so what do they have to offer, but a maze of carnal philosophy which is anti-Christ...as in your first paragraph;
    Foreknowledge and Free Will
    First published Tue Jul 6, 2004; substantive revision Thu Aug 25, 2011
    Fatalism is the thesis that human acts occur by necessity and hence are unfree. Theological fatalism is the thesis that infallible foreknowledge of a human act makes the act necessary and hence unfree. If there is a being who knows the entire future infallibly, then no human act is free.

    Fatalism seems to be entailed by infallible foreknowledge by the following informal line of reasoning:

    For any future act you will perform, if some being infallibly believed in the past that the act would occur, there is nothing you can do now about the fact that he believed what he believed since nobody has any control over past events; nor can you make him mistaken in his belief, given that he is infallible. Therefore, there is nothing you can do now about the fact that he believed in a way that cannot be mistaken that you would do what you will do. But if so, you cannot do otherwise than what he believed you would do. And if you cannot do otherwise, you will not perform the act freely.

    The same argument can be applied to any infallibly foreknown act of any human being. If there is a being who infallibly knows everything that will happen in the future, no human being has any control over the future.
    IF THERE IS A BEINGeek: Seriously....


    you are wrong because of this; From calvinism,Arminianism Pg 41...by W.R.Downing..used by permission
    CALVINISM AND DETERMINISM OR FATALISM
    It is at times alleged that Calvinism is synonymous with determinism or fatalism.

    Actually, these two perspectives are diametrically opposed.


    The former is nothing more or less than the biblical teaching expounded and systematized; the latter is pagan or secular and humanistic.

    Calvinism views all things as in the purpose and personal control of the sovereign, just, gracious and loving, triune God of Scripture;

    determinism is the alleged working of an impersonal, amoral force without purpose or ultimate meaning.

    Only a gross biblical ignorance, an extreme religious prejudice, or a mental ineptness could confuse the two.



    It is the Arminian or Pelagian—the one who believes in “free will”—who is the fatalist.


    If God only foresaw what would be and then laid his plans accordingly, then three things might logically follow:

    First, God himself is necessarily relative to [contained within] his own creation and is not the first or final cause and determiner. He is necessarily limited.


    Second, the ultimate cause or determination must be chance, fate or luck—some impersonal, amoral force that ultimately determines the issues in the moral and spiritual spheres.


    Third, there exists some mysterious dualism and so, an equal power opposed to God within the universe. Such dualism or fatalism—an idea of a limited “god” and ultimate chance—does not square with Scripture, which reveals and declares God to be God and not less than God in the physical, moral and spiritual spheres.61

    pg424;COUNSEL–DECISION–DETERMINATION–PURPOSESecond , there are a variety of biblical words used to connote the idea of counsel, decision, determination, or purpose.
    • Ji5y6 (Ya'ats), purpose, deliberate, resolve, counsel.
    The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand...For the LORD of hosts


    1185 See footnote 2. The source of definition for the Greek terms are: G. Kittel, Thelogical Dictionary of the New Testament; J. H. Thayer, Greek–English Lexicon of the New Testament; Arndt–Gingrich, Greek–English Lexicon of the New Testament; Colin Brown, Ed., The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology. 1186...proevgnw...prowvrisen...prowvrisen...ejkavl esen...ejkavlesen...ejdikaivwsen... ejdikaivwsen...ejdovxasen. Every act of God from eternity past to eternity future—foreknowing, predestinating, calling, justifying and glorifying—occur in the aor. tense, connoting and emphasizing the immutability and infallibility of the eternal purpose or redemptive decree. 430




    hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back? (Isa. 14:24, 27)
    Where are they? where are thy wise men? and let them tell thee now, and let them know what the LORD of hosts hath purposed upon Egypt. (Isa. 19:12)
    And it came to pass, as he talked with him, that the king said unto him, Art thou made of the king's counsel? forbear; why shouldest thou be smitten? Then the prophet forbare, and said, I know that God hath determined to destroy thee, because thou hast done this, and hast not hearkened unto my counsel. (2 Chron. 25:16)
    • hx6i2 ('Etsah), counsel, plan, purpose.
    There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand. (Prov. 19:21)
    The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. (Psa. 33:11)
    Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it. (Isa. 46:10–11)
    Therefore hear the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Edom; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitations desolate with them. (Jer. 49:20)1187
    Therefore hear ye the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Babylon; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the land of the Chaldeans: surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitation desolate with them. (Jer. 50:45)
    • bv5j6 (Chashab), purpose, plan, devise, make a judgment.
    But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. (Gen. 50:20)
    Therefore hear the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Edom; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitations desolate with them. (Jer. 49:20)
    The LORD hath purposed to destroy the wall of the daughter of Zion: he hath stretched out a line, he hath not withdrawn his hand from destroying: therefore he made the rampart and the wall to lament; they languished together. (Lam. 2:8)
    • ,m5z6 (Zamam), purpose, plan, devise. “It is used mainly of the Lord carrying out his purposes in judgment...”1188
    The LORD hath done that which he had devised; he hath fulfilled his word that he had commanded in the days of old: he hath thrown down, and hath not


    1187 The terms “purpose” in Jer. 49:20 and 50:45 are from the root Ji5y6 (Ya'ats), purpose, deliberate, resolve, counsel. 1188 Harris, Archer and Waltke, op. cit., I, p. 244. 431




    pitied: and he hath caused thine enemy to rejoice over thee, he hath set up the horn of thine adversaries. (Lam. 2:17)
    For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it. (Jer. 4:28)
    Set up the standard upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen, prepare the ambushes: for the LORD hath both devised and done that which he spake against the inhabitants of Babylon. (Jer. 51:12)
    • hM6z1m4 (Mezimmah), plan or intent. A derivative of ,m5z6 (Zamam), above.
    The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have done it, and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it. (Jer. 30:24)
    The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly. (Jer. 23:20)
    • jk5y6 (Yakach), decide, judge, appoint.
    And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master....let the same be the woman whom the LORD hath appointed out for my master's son. (Gen. 24:14, 24)
    • prota?ssw (Protasso), to place before, to appoint, define beforehand.
    And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation. (Acts 17:26)
    • proti?qhmi (Protithemi), to place before, set forth, purpose with one’s self, determine.
    Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself. (Eph. 1:9)
    Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. (Rom. 3:25)
    • pro?qesiv (Prothesis), a purpose (noun form of proti?qhmi, above).
    And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Rom. 8:28)
    In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will. (Eph. 1:11)
    According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord… (Eph. 3:11)
    Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began. (2 Tim. 1:9)
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

  3. #138
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    26,596
    Blog Entries
    90

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    That would not be my reply as I know free will does not exist.
    So in conclusion... Adam's will was not the reason he ate of the fruit, God's will is the reason he ate of the fruit.
    Slug1--out

    ~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

    ~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~



  4. #139

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    Doug Brents

    Hello DB,

    He made the statment, "no where in the bible is the suggestion found that God looked for believers...then chose them,".

    I was pointing out that that is false.
    God made the decision that because man's thoughts were always evil constantly, God would destroy man completely (Gen 6:6-7). v8 "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord." Does it say when or why? Not here, but in Heb 11 it says that he was moved with Godly fear and prepared the Ark, and so through his faith he was given grace. So God changed His mind and decided to save mankind. He chose Noah, and his family as the instrument of that salvation because of their faith (obedience).
    DB...I like that you have made a biblical case using relevant portions of scripture, both Genesis and Hebrews.....

    That being said I would like to let you know that in scripture man is never said to be saved ...because of faith.....it is always by, or through faith...no exceptions.

    God had already set His Covenant love on Noah, before the world was; Noah having been graced by God, moved with fear and prepared an ark....as we do today with what God has set out for us to do eph2:10

    9 who did save us, and did call with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, that was given to us in Christ Jesus, before the times of the ages,


    If you are following this thread here is some things I have posted to others from a book on Arminianism and Calvinism
    concerning the biblical usage of foreknowledge;
    FOREKNOWLEDGE
    Fifth, terms which denote foreknowledge, emphasizing a prior acquaintance with and relationship to those foreknown.1196
    • id5y6 (Yada'), to know, especially in an intimate or personal sense (This term connotes the idea of caring for, to know intimately [in a sexual or other intimate sense] ).
    You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities. (Amos 3:2)
    • proble?pw, proei^don (Problepo, Proeidon), to foresee [something rendered certain], not used of contingent foresight.
    He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. (Acts 2:31)
    And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. (Gal. 3:8)
    God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect. (Heb. 11:40)
    • proginw?skw, prognw?siv (Proginosko, Prognosis), to foreknow, foreknowledge [certain knowledge of a thing or person].
    For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Rom 8:29)
    Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you. (1 Pet. 1:20)

    1195 The word “elect” in the Gk. text occurs in v. 1, and is construed with “strangers,” not “foreknowledge.” Pevtro" ajpovstolo" jIhsou' Cristou' ejklektoi'" parepidhvmoi" diaspora'", Lit: “Peter, an apostle to the elect strangers scattered abroad...” 1196 Divine foreknowledge is not mere prescience [to simply know beforehand], but necessarily involves the reality of decree or predestination. It is not merely contingent knowledge, but refers to who and what God has rendered certain and therefore foreknows in a certain and intimate sense. Note must be taken that it is not merely what God knows, but also whom he knows. Foreknowledge then necessarily implies a personal or intimate relationship when used of persons.
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

  5. #140

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    Daniel567

    Hello D567

    Hello and thank you for taking the time to follow the simple request in the OP.
    This is one of the most important passages in Scripture which reveals God's plan of redemption. It is also one that is frequently misunderstood (or misinterpreted).
    exactly, that is why we should look into it.


    Salvation began with God's foreknowledge, therefore Peter says that we are elect "according to the foreknowledge of God", and Paul says that Christians were "predestined from before the foundation of the world". In plain English, God knew -- even before He created the world -- as to who would believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.
    the reason God "knew" was because he elected and purposed to save each of the sheep....he did not just know something about what they would do, or not do in the future, but he knew them intimately;
    see the following;
    FOREKNOWLEDGE
    Fifth, terms which denote foreknowledge, emphasizing a prior acquaintance with and relationship to those foreknown.1196
    • id5y6 (Yada'), to know, especially in an intimate or personal sense (This term connotes the idea of caring for, to know intimately [in a sexual or other intimate sense] ).
    You only have I known of all the families of the earth: therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities. (Amos 3:2)
    • proble?pw, proei^don (Problepo, Proeidon), to foresee [something rendered certain], not used of contingent foresight.
    He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. (Acts 2:31)
    And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. (Gal. 3:8)
    God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect. (Heb. 11:40)
    • proginw?skw, prognw?siv (Proginosko, Prognosis), to foreknow, foreknowledge [certain knowledge of a thing or person].
    For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Rom 8:29)
    Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you. (1 Pet. 1:20)

    1195 The word “elect” in the Gk. text occurs in v. 1, and is construed with “strangers,” not “foreknowledge.” Pevtro" ajpovstolo" jIhsou' Cristou' ejklektoi'" parepidhvmoi" diaspora'", Lit: “Peter, an apostle to the elect strangers scattered abroad...” 1196 Divine foreknowledge is not mere prescience [to simply know beforehand], but necessarily involves the reality of decree or predestination. It is not merely contingent knowledge, but refers to who and what God has rendered certain and therefore foreknows in a certain and intimate sense. Note must be taken that it is not merely what God knows, but also whom he knows. Foreknowledge then necessarily implies a personal or intimate relationship when used of persons. In this appendix, see the section under

    you then said this...
    This phrase should make it abundantly clear that predestination is not about who will be chosen to be saved (since God would have all men to saved),
    THE CORRECT WORD, SHOWS GOD HAS CHOSEN ALL KINDS OF MEN, KINGS, THOSE IN AUTHORITY, RICH, POOR,OLD YOUNG...
    but rather about those who will be ultimately perfected -- "conformed to the image of His Son"
    .
    This happens to thoise ...WHOM...God has chosen, no more, no less...

    God's plan of salvation is not simply about deliverance from Hell, but the transformation of every believer into the likeness of Christ (glorification).





    Sinners are justified by grace through faith in Christ and His finished work of redemption. When a sinner is justified (declared righteous) it is the absolute righteousness of Christ which is imputed to him, just as Abraham believed God, and it was imputed to him for righteousness.



    Thanks again for your input.
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

  6. #141

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    So in conclusion... Adam's will was not the reason he ate of the fruit, God's will is the reason he ate of the fruit.
    I would like to be able to help remove some obstacles for you...maybe I am not the best person for the job, but i am trying Slug...

    Scripture says Adam sinned.....he had original righteousness that was untested.....He did not pass the test.....neither do we. He was not forced to sin....he willingly sinned.
    The last Adam does pass the test.....he always did the WILL of the Father...he did not come to ...do His own will, but the will of Him that sent Him.

    Even the wicked acts of wicked men that come to pass are ordained to come to pass as they do. They are also ordained to be punished by God at the judgment of the great White throne....the elect will not undergo that ....1thess 5:9
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

  7. #142

    Re: The golden chain of redemption

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    To go to humanistic philosophy for your view and definitions is to be rejected. the unsaved so called "genius" intellectuals, and philosophers do not know God, or his word...so what do they have to offer, but a maze of carnal philosophy which is anti-Christ...as in your first paragraph;
    The author of the Stanford article (Linda Zagzebski) is a Christian by all accounts, so I've no idea why you're harping on about 'humanistic philosophy', '[so-called] genius intellectuals', 'philosophers [who] do not know God, or his [W]ord', 'carnal philosophy', etc. Boethius was also Christian, so was Ockham, Molinas, Augustine, and most of the others named in the article.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    IF THERE IS A BEINGeek: Seriously....
    What do you find confusing? This is no different than a common apologetics argument that claims, 'morality is only meaningful if God exists'. The phrasing isn't a stating of her beliefs, but an informal stating of the problem the article examines.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    you are wrong because of this
    You really think so? You assumed the author of the article wasn't Christian herself, then assumed you were reading 'humanistic philosophy... a maze of carnal philosophy which is anti-Christ', when in fact you were reading - with the exception of Aristotle - arguments presented by Christian theologians, and philosophers. You then freaked out at the phrasing of a problem at the first opportunity, and, I presume, stopped reading. You have done nothing (yet) to demonstrate that I am wrong in my claim.

    This is what theology looks like 'at the top', by the way. It's complicated, and difficult, and requires some flexibility to interact with. If you don't have that flexibility, then it's worth considering if you're being spoon-fed your beliefs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    Lectures on Calvinism and Arminianism, W.R. Downing
    Page 41

    CALVINISM AND DETERMINISM OR FATALISM
    It is at times alleged that Calvinism is synonymous with determinism or fatalism.

    Actually, these two perspectives are diametrically opposed.

    The former is nothing more or less than the biblical teaching expounded and systematized; the latter is pagan or secular and humanistic.

    Calvinism views all things as in the purpose and personal control of the sovereign, just, gracious and loving, triune God of Scripture;

    determinism is the alleged working of an impersonal, amoral force without purpose or ultimate meaning.

    Only a gross biblical ignorance, an extreme religious prejudice, or a mental ineptness could confuse the two.

    It is the Arminian or Pelagian—the one who believes in “free will”—who is the fatalist.

    If God only foresaw what would be and then laid his plans accordingly, then three things might logically follow:

    First, God himself is necessarily relative to [contained within] his own creation and is not the first or final cause and determiner. He is necessarily limited.
    Second, the ultimate cause or determination must be chance, fate or luck—some impersonal, amoral force that ultimately determines the issues in the moral and spiritual spheres.
    Third, there exists some mysterious dualism and so, an equal power opposed to God within the universe. Such dualism or fatalism—an idea of a limited “god” and ultimate chance—does not square with Scripture, which reveals and declares God to be God and not less than God in the physical, moral and spiritual spheres.
    With respect to Dr. Downing, we're talking about definitions that explicitly take God into account. We're not talking about mere determinism, but a divinely ordered determinism; we're not talking about impersonal fatalism, but fating performed by a personal God with respect to His creation. Also, no one here is claiming that Calvinism is synonymous with determinism or fatalism, but rather, that it requires it. The claim is that if you believe in 'X', 'Y', and 'Z', then determinism or fatalism follows necessarily. Is this claim rooted in 'gross biblical ignorance', extreme religious prejudice, or mental ineptness'? No, and it is uncharitable for Downing to write as much.

    The three things that 'might' follow, also 'might not' follow, so the claim here is responsibly weak. Might it follow that because God foresaw and planned accordingly, He Himself is contained within creation? I don't see how. God foreseeing seems to assume (axiomatically) that He isn't contained within His own creation. I have no idea how he logically arrived at the second point, and the same for the third. Since you've dismissed my article, and resorted again to quoting others, perhaps you could expand on Downing's thought process here (in your own words)? This is the problem with constantly quoting others, by the way: what you've provided here doesn't address the particular claim I am making.


    Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    Page 424
    COUNSEL–DECISION–DETERMINATION–PURPOSE

    Second, there are a variety of biblical words used to connote the idea of counsel, decision, determination, or purpose.
    • Ji5y6 (Ya'ats), purpose, deliberate, resolve, counsel.
    The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand...For the LORD of hosts

    1185 See footnote 2. The source of definition for the Greek terms are: G. Kittel, Thelogical Dictionary of the New Testament; J. H. Thayer, Greek–English Lexicon of the New Testament; Arndt–Gingrich, Greek–English Lexicon of the New Testament; Colin Brown, Ed., The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology. 1186...proevgnw...prowvrisen...prowvrisen...ejkavl esen...ejkavlesen...ejdikaivwsen... ejdikaivwsen...ejdovxasen. Every act of God from eternity past to eternity future—foreknowing, predestinating, calling, justifying and glorifying—occur in the aor. tense, connoting and emphasizing the immutability and infallibility of the eternal purpose or redemptive decree. 430

    hath purposed, and who shall disannul it? and his hand is stretched out, and who shall turn it back? (Isa. 14:24, 27)
    Where are they? where are thy wise men? and let them tell thee now, and let them know what the LORD of hosts hath purposed upon Egypt. (Isa. 19:12)
    And it came to pass, as he talked with him, that the king said unto him, Art thou made of the king's counsel? forbear; why shouldest thou be smitten? Then the prophet forbare, and said, I know that God hath determined to destroy thee, because thou hast done this, and hast not hearkened unto my counsel. (2 Chron. 25:16)
    • hx6i2 ('Etsah), counsel, plan, purpose.
    There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand. (Prov. 19:21)
    The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. (Psa. 33:11)
    Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure: calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executeth my counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it. (Isa. 46:10–11)
    Therefore hear the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Edom; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitations desolate with them. (Jer. 49:20)1187
    Therefore hear ye the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Babylon; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the land of the Chaldeans: surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitation desolate with them. (Jer. 50:45)
    • bv5j6 (Chashab), purpose, plan, devise, make a judgment.
    But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive. (Gen. 50:20)
    Therefore hear the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Edom; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitations desolate with them. (Jer. 49:20)
    The LORD hath purposed to destroy the wall of the daughter of Zion: he hath stretched out a line, he hath not withdrawn his hand from destroying: therefore he made the rampart and the wall to lament; they languished together. (Lam. 2:8)
    • ,m5z6 (Zamam), purpose, plan, devise. “It is used mainly of the Lord carrying out his purposes in judgment...”1188
    The LORD hath done that which he had devised; he hath fulfilled his word that he had commanded in the days of old: he hath thrown down, and hath not

    1187 The terms “purpose” in Jer. 49:20 and 50:45 are from the root Ji5y6 (Ya'ats), purpose, deliberate, resolve, counsel. 1188 Harris, Archer and Waltke, op. cit., I, p. 244. 431

    pitied: and he hath caused thine enemy to rejoice over thee, he hath set up the horn of thine adversaries. (Lam. 2:17)
    For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it. (Jer. 4:28)
    Set up the standard upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen, prepare the ambushes: for the LORD hath both devised and done that which he spake against the inhabitants of Babylon. (Jer. 51:12)
    • hM6z1m4 (Mezimmah), plan or intent. A derivative of ,m5z6 (Zamam), above.
    The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have done it, and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it. (Jer. 30:24)
    The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly. (Jer. 23:20)
    • jk5y6 (Yakach), decide, judge, appoint.
    And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master....let the same be the woman whom the LORD hath appointed out for my master's son. (Gen. 24:14, 24)
    • prota?ssw (Protasso), to place before, to appoint, define beforehand.
    And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation. (Acts 17:26)
    • proti?qhmi (Protithemi), to place before, set forth, purpose with one’s self, determine.
    Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself. (Eph. 1:9)
    Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God. (Rom. 3:25)
    • pro?qesiv (Prothesis), a purpose (noun form of proti?qhmi, above).
    And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Rom. 8:28)
    In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will. (Eph. 1:11)
    According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord… (Eph. 3:11)
    Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began. (2 Tim. 1:9)
    Yes, and?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Redemption of the Nazarenes
    By keras in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 19th 2014, 10:20 PM
  2. Colors of Redemption
    By LookingUp in forum Poetry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 17th 2014, 07:04 PM
  3. Define Redemption
    By Slug1 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Dec 8th 2009, 04:12 AM
  4. Chain poem
    By matthew7and1 in forum Poetry
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr 3rd 2009, 05:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •