Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Wilkerson explains the New Covenant and its secret

Re: David Wilkerson explains the New Covenant and its secret

Quote Originally Posted by BCsenior View Post
    All of the following is from David Wilkerson’s book, “The New Covenant Unveiled” (2000).
    This brief summary of the 11 chapters is presented in the exact sequence of the book.

1 -- Understanding the New Covenant
    Like any contract, a covenant contains terms or duties that each party has to
    perform in order to fulfill the agreement. Such covenants are legally binding.
    … the parties can be penalized for not fulfilling their respective terms.
    This summary in Hebrews details the eternal promises of God’s incredible New Covenant.
    “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant
    with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah … For this is the covenant
    that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord:
    ‘I will put My laws in their minds and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God,
    … For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds
    I will remember no more.’ ” (Hebrews 8:8-12)
    It is clear from the context that the house of Israel refers to spiritual Israel, meaning all who are in
    Jesus Christ … Throughout the New Testament, Paul distinguished between two kinds of Israel,
    one natural and one spiritual …
    I just care, at this point, to deal with this one single misnomer, which I see everywhere these days. It is the idea that God made Israel a *natural people,* while making the Church a *spiritual people.*

In reality, there is no true dichotomy here. In fact, every nation, like Israel, is a *natural people.* What does that mean? It means they live on earth, in a real land, and represent real fulfillment of promises. It also means we can be assured that our real families can have real spiritual fruitfulness. Can you imagine a world where God assures you that your children and descendants will *never* become Christians, and that the only children you ever have in the Lord will belong to other families?

This is the absurdity we have in this proposed dichotomy between "natural children" and "spiritual children." It is thought that because Israel represented Abraham's natural posterity that he can never have an actual spiritual nation. Instead, he would have spiritual children among his natural descendants, but they could never become a godly nation. He could never see Israel become a Christian nation.

Well, I can see why Replacement Theology gained traction early in the Church Age. And I can see why Christians have given up all hope that Israel would ever be converted, as a nation, to Christ. It's just never happened!

But I believe the disciples of Jesus firmly believe that, based on the OT prophecies, and based on the Abrahamic Promise, Israel would one day be converted to Christianity.

Acts 1.6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”

One more point. I believe that the reason so much is made of the difference between Israel and the Church is because before the Church existed there was only one nation, Israel, and that after Israel lapsed the nations that became Christian were all Gentile nations.

This has caused people to think there is something suspiciously bad about Israel that their nation, the 1st to be called to godliness, was somehow incapable of achieving what later Gentile nations were able to accomplish. Thus, many have proposed a dichotomy between the Jew and the Gentile.

But Paul went out of his way to establish that there is no essential difference between Jew and Gentile, with the exception that the Jew was called to godliness 1st. The failure of Israel to maintain godliness over the entire course of this age does not mitigate against their ability to achieve it in the age to come. It *will* happen, according to the biblical Prophets.

In fact Paul indicates that Israel's failure is also the failure of all nations. If Gentile nations have achieved Christianity they have also achieved the same failures and the same apostasy that Israel did. Sin is common to all. Israel was simply the prototype.

I think, in sum, we need to realize that God makes no dichotomy between *natural* and *spiritual* children. He doesn't want us to focus exclusively on our own natural children, but neither does He want us to neglect the children of others--our spiritual children.

When God promised Abraham an *Israel,* and when He promised Abraham *many nations,* He was putting them all in the same boat. It's just that Israel's national experience as a godly nation came 1st. The Christian nations are no different. If we don't pray for Israel's recovery, that's like not caring for your own nation's recovery from sin. Let's not discriminate. Let's pray for all nations!

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    The Church is only under the Covenant of Promise (Gal.3:29). It never was under the Old Covenant nor under the New. It is under the "Law of Life in Christ Jesus" (Rom.8:1-2).
    This is completely incorrect and false doctrine to boot

The promise of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost, and that is also when the gift of the Holy Spirit was given to believers. The gift of the Holy Spirit is part and parcel of the New Covenant, as is the blood of Christ, which is applicable to the Church of God. When Christ took the cup in His hands while instituting the Lord's Supper He called that cup the New Covenant in His blood. So there is no need to start another false doctrine.

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28).

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament [OR COVENANT], that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament [OR COVENANT], they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
    (Hebrews 9:14-16),

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel567 View Post
    This is completely incorrect and false doctrine to boot

The promise of the outpouring of the Holy Spirit was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost, and that is also when the gift of the Holy Spirit was given to believers. The gift of the Holy Spirit is part and parcel of the New Covenant, as is the blood of Christ, which is applicable to the Church of God. When Christ took the cup in His hands while instituting the Lord's Supper He called that cup the New Covenant in His blood. So there is no need to start another false doctrine.

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28).

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament [OR COVENANT], that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament [OR COVENANT], they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
    (Hebrews 9:14-16),
    Not one of the verses you offer declare the Church to be under the Covenant of Law (which the Old AND New Covenants are). Jeremiah, a prophet to Israel says in 31:31-33;

31 "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people."

The words and grammar cannot be clearer. The New Covenant is replace the OLD made with the FATHERS of present Israel. It is at a future day when Israel (the 10 northern Tribes carried away by Assyria), and Judah (Judah and Benjamin who were carried away by Babylon) are united in their Land. That the Church is even intimated is patently false since (1) the plain wording does not say this, and (2) to the Prophets of Old the Church was NOT revealed (Eph.3:5, 9).

The blood of Christ achieves many things as I have already pointed out (posting #4). One of them was the RATIFICATION of this New Covenant WITH REUNITED ISRAEL. The blood of Christ does not ONLY apply to the Church. It applies to the creation being released as well for instance. In Romans 8:19-23 we find the CREATURE RESTORED including our bodies. The creature is under corruption because of Abel's blood (Gen.4:11-12, 5:29). Notice the TWO things of Hebrews 12:24 joined by an "AND" - a conjunction; "And to Jesus (1) the mediator of the new covenant, AND (2) to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel."

Our Lord's blood accomplished many things, ONE OF WHICH was the ratification of the New Covenant OF LAW with Israel reunited. The Covenant INAUGURATED is still future, but the RATIFICATION is accomplished on Golgotha.

Thread Information