Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to become a Christian

I want to become a Christian

I am a 49 years old Japanese woman living in Switzerland. My husband is a Swiss.
    I am not Buddhist but I am now very interested in becoming a Christian. For that I am getting a bible which is written in Japanese. I have no idea how long it takes and does it depend on how well one understands the content of the bible?I would like to know all this....Please give me advices as much as possible.Thank you and kind regards,
    Junko

Re: I want to become a Christian

Hello Junko and welcome to BibleForums!

I'm happy to hear that you want to become a Christian. The Roman Road to salvation is a helpful tract:

Roman Road to Salvation
    The Gospel of Grace (revealed by our Lord Jesus Christ to our Apostle Paul)

Many people think they will go to heaven because they have lived a good life. Perhaps, they treat all of their neighbors fairly. Maybe they volunteer for charity work and have never broken the law. Maybe they were even baptized or go to church regularly. But the Bible, God's Word, says that no one can live up to God's standard of righteousness.

Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one ...."

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God ...."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Salvation cannot be earned. Everyone is a sinner and deserves death, but God gives eternal life. So how can we receive God's gift of eternal life?

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes.."

To be saved, we must believe the gospel. The word "gospel" means "good news". But before we can believe the good news, we have to know what it is.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel ... that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures .."

This is the gospel which we must believe in order to be saved. Now, how does believing this gospel save us?

Romans 5:8-9 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Romans 3:22-26 "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation (appeasing sacrifice) through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus."

We can be saved from the wrath of God, because Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins and rose from the dead. He paid the price for us, and we are justified in God's eyes through our faith in the blood of Jesus Christ

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works lest any man should boast."

There will be no boasting in heaven. We cannot be saved by our own righteousness, but only by God's grace, through faith.

Ephesians 1:13-14 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

Once we believe the gospel, we are sealed with God's Holy Spirit. This is God's deposit, that guarantees he will redeem us, whom our Lord Jesus Christ "purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20:28).

Studying the Bible is an essential part of the growth of every believer.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Junko View Post
    I am a 49 years old Japanese woman living in Switzerland. My husband is a Swiss.
    I am not Buddhist but I am now very interested in becoming a Christian. For that I am getting a bible which is written in Japanese. I have no idea how long it takes and does it depend on how well one understands the content of the bible?I would like to know all this....Please give me advices as much as possible.Thank you and kind regards,
    Junko

This a great little video... in case your a visual learner...

https://youtu.be/0maL4cQ8zuU

11 min
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

Thank you very much for your reply. I haven't got the bible yet. But I still have no idea about becoming a Christian.You see when you go to outside, you see people we can't know if these people are Christians.I can't meet God for that either...it's not clear either that I get a book of bible and study each sentences to understand to become a Christian? You mean there would be some sort of paper test like in the school that I have to pass��!? What is it like?

Thank you very much for your reply. I haven't got the bible yet. But I still have no idea about becoming a Christian.You see when you go to outside, you see people we can't know if these people are Christians.I can't meet God for that either...it's not clear either that I get a book of bible and study each sentences to understand to become a Christian? You mean there would be some sort of paper test like in the school that I have to pass��!? What is it like?
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...12&version=KJV
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast85 View Post
    But I still have no idea about becoming a Christian.
    God saves sinners...we all qualify...we are all sinners.....
    You do not "become a Christian"....God changes a sinner into a saint by a supernatural work, that enables you to believe the good news of the gospel. Jesus blood can save to the uttermost, those who will come to God by Him.
    Nothing you can do can make you acceptable before our holy God. God himself came to earth to die for sinners.
    Every sinner who believes in what He did, in living a perfect and sinless life, and dying a death as a substitute for everyone believing sinner will find mercy instead of judgment .
    Prayer is when you speak to God. God already knows who and what we are. Ask Him to have mercy on you . repent of your sin and ask Him for mercy.
    http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...ID=31917521240

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...SID=1311780266

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...ID=12616058221

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...D=116161937406

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...SID=7316204544
    4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Blog Entries

God will bring people to you to teach you of Him. (other than us, I mean where you live)
    All you have to do is ask Him. I have the faith He will answer you.
    Peace to you!

If anyone makes the assistance of grace to believe the gospel depend on the humility or obedience of man and does not agree that it is a gift of grace itself that we are obedient and humble, he contradicts the Apostle who says, "What have you that you did not receive?" and, "But by the grace of God I am what I am" - Council of Orange

I thank you all for your answers.Ok I have a guestion if you could answer. Is God like a human being?

Hi Junko,
    I'm not sure which version of the Bible you are going to get, but probably all of them will show that God is not like human beings in terms appearance and form. For example the King James version in the Gospel of John 4 vs 24 says; "God is a Spirit; and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and truth". So God is a Spirit being, we are human beings.

God, Jesus and Angels, are Spirit creatures. Incidentally rebellious Angels namely Satan and his accomplices known as demons are spirit creatures too.
    As God's creation we as human beings (physical, fleshly), we have the potential to reflect God’s personality traits, such as his love, justice, and wisdom. In fact, the Bible says: “Become imitators of God, as beloved children, and go on walking in love.”—Ephesians 5:1, 2.
    God also made us free moral agents, which enables us to choose right over wrong and to express love for others in a variety of ways. (1 Corinthians 13:4-7) We also have the ability to be creative, to enjoy beauty, and to stand in awe at the amazing world around us. Above all, we have received a spiritual capacity, a natural desire to learn about God and his will for us.—Matthew 5:3.

Blog Entries

Pray to God in the name of Jesus. Ask Him to reveal himself to you. Ask Him to change your heart and that you be born again. Keep doing this in a steadfast manner. When your prayer is answered you will know it. You will be filled with joy and love for God and all those around you. You can get this before your bible arrives. If you are born again before you get your bible your eyes will be opened to what it means. I suggest reading the gospel of John first(especially chapter 3) and then reading Romans. Stay in those two books until they become clear...then the rest of the scriptures will be open to you.

A heartfelt prayer for forgiveness for past deeds will always be heard. Ask that you be cleansed by the Blood of Jesus. The time is now....do not wait for your bible to arrive.
    2 Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

You can read a bible on line ... I recommend the 4 gospels ... starting with Luke, Matthew, Mark and John. Here is a link to Luke chapter 1 ... just hit the arrow to go to chapter 2 ... and then further ...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+1
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

I thank you all for your answers.Ok I have a guestion if you could answer. Is God like a human being?
    Hi, Junko. Here's a video that may help you to understand why Christians believe Man is lost without God and His great love in reaching out to us through His Son, Jesus. Although it focuses on atheists it touches on some important points for all peoples.

Thank you again for your advices.Ok let me put it this way,what if for you,for Christian Christianity is only one thing we have on this planet,would you be happy about that?

Ok let me put it this way,what if for you,for Christian Christianity is only one thing we have on this planet,would you be happy about that?
    I am not understanding what you are asking here.
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

I am sorry for if my question had made you confused. What I mean is to imagine the world would be only Christianity on this planet, how would you feel about it?
    Off course, in reality I know it's not like that.There are many different kind of religions on this planet as you know.

Thread Information