View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Bible Translation?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • KJV

4 22.22%
  • NKJV

3 16.67%
  • NIV

4 22.22%
  • NASB

4 22.22%
  • CSB (HCSB)

1 5.56%
  • NLT

0 0%
  • The Message

0 0%
  • CEV

0 0%
  • NCV

0 0%
  • RSV

0 0%
  • ESV

1 5.56%
  • NRSV

0 0%
  • GW (God's Word Translation)

0 0%
  • WEB

0 0%
  • Amplified

0 0%
  • NET

0 0%
  • Good News

0 0%
  • Other

1 5.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: My Favorite Bible Translation

Re: Poll: My Favorite Bible Translation

Quote Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
    The other thing that knowing that the Spirit used the LXX, a human translation of the Hebrew OT, is that I accept more free translations much more readily now. Why? Because, in general, the LXX is a rather free translation, emphasizing meaning and impact over word-for-word accuracy. The LXX would be classified as a DE vs. FE type translation. That convinces me that a more wooden translation in English is not necessarily more useful or better.

BD
    I agree. I read and study the OT a lot more than the NT, and I very often compare to the LXX. I have noticed quite a few verses that are overtly about Jesus in the LXX, which are "muddied" a bit in the modern Hebrew. Paul's quote of Psalm 40:6-8 in Hebrews 10:5-7 comes to mind.

Re: Poll: My Favorite Bible Translation

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    I've never done an analytical breakdown of every verse for each version, so I cannot really say which is the most accurate. Even that can be a matter of opinion.

One verse that really bugs me is Genesis 22:14. The KJV is the only one, that I know of, that actually translates the Hebrew. All other versions, including the NKJV, totally "create" a new and ridiculous definition for the Hebrew. What gives them the right to just make things up? It is this verse that caused me to distrust all English versions really. The same applies to the "I AM" verses in the NT. How can translators cover this up? Any study of a topic, for me, includes going to the Greek or Hebrew.
    14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovah-jireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen. - (AKJV)

I don't see where they translated the name at all. They actually used the Hebrew words Jehovah-jireh, which when it's translated means "the Lord provides". I don't believe they created any word here at all. They simply translated the words the KJV never did.

From the NET Bible notes:

Notes for Verse 14: tn Heb “the Lord sees” (יְהוָה יִרְאֶה, y˙hvah yir’eh, traditionally transliterated “Jehovah Jireh”; see the note on the word “provide” in v. 8). By so naming the place Abraham preserved in the memory of God’s people the amazing event that took place there.

Notes for Verse 8: tn Heb “will see for himself.” The construction means “to look out for; to see to it; to provide.”

sn God will provide is the central theme of the passage and the turning point in the story. Note Paul’s allusion to the story in Rom 8:32 (“how shall he not freely give us all things?”) as well as H. J. Schoeps, “The Sacrifice of Isaac in Paul’s Theology,” JBL 65 (1946): 385-92.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Thread Information