View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Bible Translation?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • KJV

11 32.35%
  • NKJV

8 23.53%
  • NIV

4 11.76%
  • NASB

4 11.76%
  • CSB (HCSB)

1 2.94%
  • NLT

0 0%
  • The Message

0 0%
  • CEV

0 0%
  • NCV

0 0%
  • RSV

0 0%
  • ESV

3 8.82%
  • NRSV

1 2.94%
  • GW (God's Word Translation)

0 0%
  • WEB

0 0%
  • Amplified

0 0%
  • NET

1 2.94%
  • Good News

0 0%
  • Other

1 2.94%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Poll: My Favorite Bible Translation

Poll: My Favorite Bible Translation

This thread is simply a poll to see what translations people are using, and why. Take the poll, then please share why you prefer that particular Bible translation.

I realize that some people have a different study Bible than perhaps a reading Bible, or perhaps a different one for other purposes. I am asking you to just pick your favorite Bible, for whatever reason you may have.

I listed 17 translations. I didn't list a few, such as the ASV, which has modern revisions (NASB and WEB), the Darby, etc.. Just choose "other," and you can tell us your favorite translation.

Also, this is just for discussion. Please do not belittle other translations. You may wax eloquent over your fav transltion, but do not be critical of others. If you would like to,tell us your favorite reading or free translation or your favorite Study Bible, go for it.

Thx,

BD
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Re: Poll: My Favorite Bible Translation

I do not have a single favorite translation. I typically use Biblegateway.com or Biblehub.com, because these give me multiple translations which I can compare side by side. This allows me to transcend the errors or omissions in any one version, and get a better understanding of the meaning of the original.

I like Biblehub.com because if you enter a single verse, it will give you numerous translations on one page of that one verse so you can see the differences and similarities.

I use a NASB to read and study when not on my computer. When I'm using my computer I jump between translations (NASB, NJKV, ESV, Young's Lit, Etc). When on the computer I use esword so I have access to many translations at one time. Even Greek and Hebrew studies.

But there's just something about sitting down and reading a hardbound Bible and flipping the pages that I just don't seem to get on the computer. So if the Bible I'm reading has good cross references and good Greek and Hebrew Lexicons in the back so much the better. Mine has all that but I find that the concordance in my Bible is rather lacking.
    "He's wild, you know. Not like a tame lion."
    C.S. Lewis, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Oh, but sometimes the sun stays hidden for years"
    "Sometimes the sky rains night after night, When will it clear?"

"But our Hope endures the worst of conditions"
    "It's more than our optimism, Let the earth quake"
    "Our Hope is unchanged"
    "Our Hope Endures" Natalie Grant

Ok, I chose the HCSB... not many people are that familiar with it. This was hard, for I memorized scriptures in the RSV when I was with the Navigators, really like the NET (also, not a well-known translation), which IMO is the most accurate translation, and really like The Message when reading, and feel that the ESV is a fairly food revision of the RSV, though IMO it has gone more politically correct in places.

I like the HCSB because I like how they, for example, will translate the nouns as they are commonly done (say "justification," for example) while translating the verbal form more clearly (as "declare to be righteous"). They also were willing to translate John 3:3 as "born from above" instead of "born again."

It has good balance of striving for accuracy as well as readability.

I think I prefer the RSV or the NRSV above the ESV, which is also a good translation, IMO.

I like The Message in that it often really captures the original intended impact. But it is paraphrastic.

BD
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brents View Post
    I do not have a single favorite translation. I typically use Biblegateway.com or Biblehub.com, because these give me multiple translations which I can compare side by side. This allows me to transcend the errors or omissions in any one version, and get a better understanding of the meaning of the original.

I like Biblehub.com because if you enter a single verse, it will give you numerous translations on one page of that one verse so you can see the differences and similarities.
    Doug,

Yes" i really like BibleHub.com. And I like so many translations.

BD

BadDog!

Quote Originally Posted by Old man View Post
    I use a NASB to read and study when not on my computer. When I'm using my computer I jump between translations (NASB, NJKV, ESV, Young's Lit, Etc). When on the computer I use esword so I have access to many translations at one time. Even Greek and Hebrew studies.

But there's just something about sitting down and reading a hardbound Bible and flipping the pages that I just don't seem to get on the computer. So if the Bible I'm reading has good cross references and good Greek and Hebrew Lexicons in the back so much the better. Mine has all that but I. find that the concordance in my Bible is rather lacking.
    I used to use the NASB all the time. I like it. But I must confess that my iPad has become my Bible... for Bible Study (my wife and I do Bible stifdy through CBS, Community Bible Study), reading and following along Sunday mornings. Never bring a real Bible with me anywhere anymore.

BD

BadDog!

I wanted to pick more than one. I like the NASB and is my go to reading bible. But I also like Holman's bible. I recently bought a NET bible and am reading it now. Sometimes I read the NIV, the KJV, the NKJV and I refer to several more.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

ESV is my favorite and I'll compare it to NASB, NRSV and GNV if a single verse needs to be analyzed. But that doesn't happen often because ESV is very clear to me.
    Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.
    The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Ph 4

I have so many translations that I use now, adding the NET to my collection recently. But at the end of the day, when I just want to read the Bible, I'd say more often than not, I'll reach for my NIV. Maybe it's because it was my first Bible, or just because I'm so used to it, but I'd have to say that one is my favorite.
    Even when I'm studying, typically using the NASB, I'll still go to my NIV for comparison.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Similar thoughts to Jesusinmylife.

I voted NIV. I could have almost as easily voted CSB. The CSB/HCSB have the best English John 3:16. BD made great extra points about it.

I think the NIV keeps getting better with each revision (TNIV then 2011).

A lot of time when I'm digging, not being fluent enough in the languages, I dig with the NASB.

I memorize ESV.

BD makes a true point about The Message. I love its rendition of 1 Corinthians 12 when Paul talks about the church as a body. But other verses it mutilates while trying to be hip.

Here's John 1:1-2...

The Word was first,
    the Word present to God,
    God present to the Word.
    The Word was God,
    in readiness for God from day one.

What?!?!?!

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brents View Post

Doug,

BD

BadDog!

Yes, The Message does mess up, fairly often. Still like it. I exp ctd the NLT to be a good translation. The Living Bible was a paraphrase, but the NLT is a translation... not very dynamic in my opinion, though.

BD

BadDog!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
    Doug,

BD
    I agree BD. I read different translations every few days it seems because I admire traits or certain passages in each.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

NKJV, because having grown up reading the KJV, it allows me to quickly find verses and phrases from mental muscle memory. I really struggle finding passages in the newer translations because the wording is often so different, but ESV isn't too bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BadDog View Post
    I like the HCSB because I like how they, for example, will translate the nouns as they are commonly done (say "justification," for example) while translating the verbal form more clearly (as "declare to be righteous"). They also were willing to translate John 3:3 as "born from above" instead of "born again."
    BD, I'm a bit baffled by this paragraph. My CSB & HCSB both have again with from above as an alternative in the margin. This is no different than say the ESV. That being said, I'm looking at the 2009 revision of the HCSB. Perhaps in the original release they had it as you describe? I don't have the original handy.

Thread Information