Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Paul and sinlessness

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    13,475

    Paul and sinlessness

    Every now and then, a thread starts up on being sinless. I like what Paul had to say about himself in 1 Cor. 4

    1 Cor 4:1-5


    4 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3 But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.
    NASB

    Paul is writing here that he is not aware of any sin in his life. However, he is not acquitted by such a thing because God has not yet examined him. The lesson (IMO)? We can overcome any sin we are aware of, but we should not be so bold as to think that means we are sinless before the Lord. There may be things in our life that God has not yet revealed.

    Grace to you,

    Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Every now and then, a thread starts up on being sinless. I like what Paul had to say about himself in 1 Cor. 4

    1 Cor 4:1-5


    4 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3 But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.
    NASB

    Paul is writing here that he is not aware of any sin in his life. However, he is not acquitted by such a thing because God has not yet examined him. The lesson (IMO)? We can overcome any sin we are aware of, but we should not be so bold as to think that means we are sinless before the Lord. There may be things in our life that God has not yet revealed.

    Grace to you,

    Mark
    Was the examination regarding his servant hood or his sinfulness?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    13,475

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Was the examination regarding his servant hood or his sinfulness?
    Well, his servanthood required faithfulness.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Well, his servanthood required faithfulness.
    Agreed, but I can say I do not know of anything lacking regarding my servanthood, but I know I am still a sinner.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    13,475

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Agreed, but I can say I do not know of anything lacking regarding my servanthood, but I know I am still a sinner.
    A forgiven sinner! But is the power of Christ greater in you or sin? Shouldn't we be overcoming the sin in us?

    Lacking and faithfulness are different aren't they? How many times in scripture did Paul say "Do like I do"? Wouldn't that suggest Paul had come a long way in dealing with his sin?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    A forgiven sinner! But is the power of Christ greater in you or sin? Shouldn't we be overcoming the sin in us?

    Lacking and faithfulness are different aren't they? How many times in scripture did Paul say "Do like I do"? Wouldn't that suggest Paul had come a long way in dealing with his sin?
    Yes, a forgiven sinner.

    We should be overcoming sin, to glorify our Lord. I believe that Paul did overcome many sins, but I do not see him declaring that he was sinless.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    13,475

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Yes, a forgiven sinner.

    We should be overcoming sin, to glorify our Lord. I believe that Paul did overcome many sins, but I do not see him declaring that he was sinless.
    Me either. Even in the passage above, I think he made that point. If we consider it just about ministry, he said that he knew nothing that was against him. But he wasn't so confident that he would say he was without fault but rather that he would wait till the Lord judged him. That was the point. So many people come in here with sinless thread stuff, and even Paul was not so bold to say he was sinless. But he was bold enough to say "I don't know of anything I am doing wrong". But he left room for the judgment of the Lord.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalahari
    Posts
    4,577

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Me either. Even in the passage above, I think he made that point. If we consider it just about ministry, he said that he knew nothing that was against him. But he wasn't so confident that he would say he was without fault but rather that he would wait till the Lord judged him. That was the point. So many people come in here with sinless thread stuff, and even Paul was not so bold to say he was sinless. But he was bold enough to say "I don't know of anything I am doing wrong". But he left room for the judgment of the Lord.
    Got it. Agree.

    Thanks Brother.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6,497

    Re: Paul and sinlessness

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Every now and then, a thread starts up on being sinless. I like what Paul had to say about himself in 1 Cor. 4

    1 Cor 4:1-5


    4 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3 But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.
    NASB

    Paul is writing here that he is not aware of any sin in his life. However, he is not acquitted by such a thing because God has not yet examined him. The lesson (IMO)? We can overcome any sin we are aware of, but we should not be so bold as to think that means we are sinless before the Lord. There may be things in our life that God has not yet revealed.

    Grace to you,

    Mark
    I don't think that Paul was implying that he had no sin, to his knowledge, but rather (in context), that he was clear in his conscious as a steward of the mysteries of God. There was no wrong-doing in his ministry, to his own knowledge.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion DID PAUL SAY THAT? JUST ASKING
    By always in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jan 21st 2015, 10:28 AM
  2. Paul and the Law
    By episkopos in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Dec 7th 2011, 07:44 PM
  3. What is Paul saying......
    By BCF in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Nov 27th 2008, 07:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •