Thread: Paul and sinlessness

Paul and sinlessness

Every now and then, a thread starts up on being sinless. I like what Paul had to say about himself in 1 Cor. 4

1 Cor 4:1-5

4 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3 But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.
    NASB

Paul is writing here that he is not aware of any sin in his life. However, he is not acquitted by such a thing because God has not yet examined him. The lesson (IMO)? We can overcome any sin we are aware of, but we should not be so bold as to think that means we are sinless before the Lord. There may be things in our life that God has not yet revealed.

Grace to you,

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Re: Paul and sinlessness

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Every now and then, a thread starts up on being sinless. I like what Paul had to say about himself in 1 Cor. 4

4 Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2 In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3 But to me it is a very small thing that I should be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4 For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5 Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.
    NASB

Paul is writing here that he is not aware of any sin in his life. However, he is not acquitted by such a thing because God has not yet examined him. The lesson (IMO)? We can overcome any sin we are aware of, but we should not be so bold as to think that means we are sinless before the Lord. There may be things in our life that God has not yet revealed.

Grace to you,

Mark
    Was the examination regarding his servant hood or his sinfulness?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Was the examination regarding his servant hood or his sinfulness?
    Well, his servanthood required faithfulness.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Well, his servanthood required faithfulness.
    Agreed, but I can say I do not know of anything lacking regarding my servanthood, but I know I am still a sinner.

Agreed, but I can say I do not know of anything lacking regarding my servanthood, but I know I am still a sinner.
    A forgiven sinner! But is the power of Christ greater in you or sin? Shouldn't we be overcoming the sin in us?

Lacking and faithfulness are different aren't they? How many times in scripture did Paul say "Do like I do"? Wouldn't that suggest Paul had come a long way in dealing with his sin?
    NASU

A forgiven sinner! But is the power of Christ greater in you or sin? Shouldn't we be overcoming the sin in us?

Lacking and faithfulness are different aren't they? How many times in scripture did Paul say "Do like I do"? Wouldn't that suggest Paul had come a long way in dealing with his sin?
    Yes, a forgiven sinner.

We should be overcoming sin, to glorify our Lord. I believe that Paul did overcome many sins, but I do not see him declaring that he was sinless.

Yes, a forgiven sinner.

We should be overcoming sin, to glorify our Lord. I believe that Paul did overcome many sins, but I do not see him declaring that he was sinless.
    Me either. Even in the passage above, I think he made that point. If we consider it just about ministry, he said that he knew nothing that was against him. But he wasn't so confident that he would say he was without fault but rather that he would wait till the Lord judged him. That was the point. So many people come in here with sinless thread stuff, and even Paul was not so bold to say he was sinless. But he was bold enough to say "I don't know of anything I am doing wrong". But he left room for the judgment of the Lord.
    NASU

Me either. Even in the passage above, I think he made that point. If we consider it just about ministry, he said that he knew nothing that was against him. But he wasn't so confident that he would say he was without fault but rather that he would wait till the Lord judged him. That was the point. So many people come in here with sinless thread stuff, and even Paul was not so bold to say he was sinless. But he was bold enough to say "I don't know of anything I am doing wrong". But he left room for the judgment of the Lord.
    Got it. Agree.

Thanks Brother.

NASB

Grace to you,

Mark
    I don't think that Paul was implying that he had no sin, to his knowledge, but rather (in context), that he was clear in his conscious as a steward of the mysteries of God. There was no wrong-doing in his ministry, to his own knowledge.

Thread Information