Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Work of God

The Work of God

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent (John 6:29).

Among the many points of controversy swirling among professing Christians is this one.

Does a Christianís faith/belief in Christ originate with himself, (man being the cause), or is a Christianís faith/belief in Christ the effect of a miraculous work of God in the hearts and minds of His Elect, (God being the cause)?

Many, many sincere, sober and serious Christians hold to the theory which has man the cause of his faith.

This ability to believe they attribute to the power of manís free will which can either believe or not believe. Man makes the ultimate determination as to his final destiny.

But what saith the Scriptures?

For if faith is the alone powerful work of God in His people then one would expect the Scriptures to state such a fundamental and critical truth unambiguously.

And this is exactly what Jesus does when He unequivocally states that believing on Him is the result of Godís working in you.

And that working is efficacious in all those He loves. (John 3:16)

They are the same ones the Father gave to the Son to redeem (John 3:17; John 17).

For not only does faith work through love (Galatians 5:6), the love of God works faith in those He loves.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10).

We Christians owe our every blessing to God, who decreed in eternity that we should become new creations in His Son, thanks to His omnipotent power working all things necessary for us to successfully accomplish the work He called us to do.

The initial blessing all Christians receive is the gift of faith which God works in us (Ephesians 2:8-9).

As Christians we have nothing of which to boast, including faith, which is not of ourselves.

Furthermore, the work of faith God began in us is only the beginning of the work He has purposed to successfully undertake on our behalf.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).

The strength, spirit and determination of the Christianís will is derived from God, as is the Christianís ability to perform those works that are pleasing to Him.

For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure (Philippians 2:13).

The will to believe in Christ is the work of God, not the work of man.

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power (2 Thess. 1:11).

Faith is the powerful work of God.

We Christians were not accepted by God because of anything good in us, including faith.

It is God who made us accepted in His beloved Son, to the praise of the glory of His grace (Ephesians 1:11).

Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture (Psalm 100:3).

We are His workmanship, remember?

He made those -- who once hated Him -- His people, His sheep.

In fact, Paul equates the same power which raised Christ from the dead as the same power which worked in us, raising us, who were spiritually dead, to a living faith in Christ (Ephesians 1:19-20).

Scripture is unanimous in attributing our faith to the gracious, omnipotent power of God efficaciously working in us.

NEXT: Christ finished the work of God He was sent to do on Earth.
    A dot org ministry called to awaken the sleeping Elect

Re: The Work of God

"it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

What is the "it" that is "not of works" (or "not out from works, so that no one may boast")?

"____..., not out of works..."

Elsewhere, "the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord," so might the "it" (which is really the "that" in "that not of yourselves") be referring to salvation as the gift? It seems to make sense in the context of both verses together, aside from the issue of the gender-agreement thing (between the word "that/this [neuter]" and "faith [feminine]"), in verse 8.

IOW, salvation [eternal life ('the gift of God'-Rom6:23)] is not of works lest anyone should boast.

Romans 3:27 seems to distinguish "works" from "faith" (by that, I mean, faith is not a "work" as some Calvinists claim): "Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith."

And Romans 4:4-5 also, "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

["He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."]

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    "it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

What is the "it" that is "not of works" (or "not out from works, so that no one may boast")?

"____..., not out of works..."

Elsewhere, "the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord," so might the "it" (which is really the "that" in "that not of yourselves") be referring to salvation as the gift? It seems to make sense in the context of both verses together, aside from the issue of the gender-agreement thing (between the word "that/this [neuter]" and "faith [feminine]"), in verse 8.

IOW, salvation [eternal life ('the gift of God'-Rom6:23)] is not of works lest anyone should boast.
    Please name one Christian organization throughout history who has ever taught salvation is all of works.

It doesn't exist.

So to claim Paul is referring to the gift of salvation is a false hypothesis.

Faith is not the meritorious cause of your election unto salvation, of which many 'boast.'

Faith is the gift of God which He wrought in Christ.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; (Phil. 1:29).

Romans 3:27 seems to distinguish "works" from "faith" (by that, I mean, faith is not a "work" as some Calvinists claim): "Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith."

And Romans 4:4-5 also, "Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness."

["He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."]
    In the context of the Scriptures you cite, Paul is using the 'works' of men as examples of meritorious reasons which cannot 'earn' them salvation.

Many Christians are very confused regarding the difference between grace and merit.

Many believe their faith merited eternal life, when in fact eternal life merited and given by Christ is the cause of faith.

I explain this in my following post.

Quote Originally Posted by ICONBUSTERS View Post
    Please name one Christian organization throughout history who has ever taught salvation is all of works.

It doesn't exist.
    Are you trying to suggest that the Scriptures were written after the time of "[any] Christian organization throughout history"? ["the Church which is His body" began here: Eph 1:20-23 "when"]

"Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone"

"Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law."

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...15#post3384315

[quoting that post, minus the highlighting that didn't transfer]

ICONBUS: This He does by His Spirit, who quickens and raises His Elect to spiritual life, making them able and willing to seek and believe the truth in His Son.

Life before belief?

"But these are written, [in order] that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and [to-the-end-] that believing ye might have life through his name." John 20:31

"He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. [...] He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:10,12

"1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By [means of] which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. ['believed in vain' means to leave off the truth of His 'resurrection'--vv.14,17,18--a vital component of "the faith" we are to believe (and what we must believe on/trust, His finished work, for salvation--without that aspect [belief in His resurrection also], our faith is vain/futile... "your faith")] 1Cor15:1-4

"For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it." Heb4:2

"29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
    30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel [G1012 - boulēn] of God against themselves, being not baptized of him." Luk7:29-30

[apparently it is not impossible to "reject the boule/boulēn of God"... despite what some say of its usage in Ephesians 1... and where verse 12 goes on to say, "that we should be to the praise of His glory, who fore-hoped in Christ"--I wonder how 'fore' that was... Perhaps before any person was ever created?? (some think our union with Him was back then [before any person was created]... so it's not far-fetched to say that of their view I guess )]

(John 6:29 KJV) Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

(John 6:29 NIV) Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

That sounds like a free-will decision to me. A person has to believe in the one he has sent? Yes.

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent (John 6:29).

Among the many points of controversy swirling among professing Christians is this one.

Does a Christianís faith/belief in Christ originate with himself, (man being the cause), or is a Christianís faith/belief in Christ the effect of a miraculous work of God in the hearts and minds of His Elect, (God being the cause)?

Many, many sincere, sober and serious Christians hold to the theory which has man the cause of his faith.

This ability to believe they attribute to the power of manís free will which can either believe or not believe. Man makes the ultimate determination as to his final destiny.

But what saith the Scriptures?

For if faith is the alone powerful work of God in His people then one would expect the Scriptures to state such a fundamental and critical truth unambiguously.

And this is exactly what Jesus does when He unequivocally states that believing on Him is the result of Godís working in you.

And that working is efficacious in all those He loves. (John 3:16)

They are the same ones the Father gave to the Son to redeem (John 3:17; John 17).

For not only does faith work through love (Galatians 5:6), the love of God works faith in those He loves.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10).

We Christians owe our every blessing to God, who decreed in eternity that we should become new creations in His Son, thanks to His omnipotent power working all things necessary for us to successfully accomplish the work He called us to do.

The initial blessing all Christians receive is the gift of faith which God works in us (Ephesians 2:8-9).

As Christians we have nothing of which to boast, including faith, which is not of ourselves.

Furthermore, the work of faith God began in us is only the beginning of the work He has purposed to successfully undertake on our behalf.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).

The strength, spirit and determination of the Christianís will is derived from God, as is the Christianís ability to perform those works that are pleasing to Him.

For it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure (Philippians 2:13).

The will to believe in Christ is the work of God, not the work of man.

To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power (2 Thess. 1:11).

Faith is the powerful work of God.

We Christians were not accepted by God because of anything good in us, including faith.

It is God who made us accepted in His beloved Son, to the praise of the glory of His grace (Ephesians 1:11).

Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture (Psalm 100:3).

We are His workmanship, remember?

He made those -- who once hated Him -- His people, His sheep.

In fact, Paul equates the same power which raised Christ from the dead as the same power which worked in us, raising us, who were spiritually dead, to a living faith in Christ (Ephesians 1:19-20).

Scripture is unanimous in attributing our faith to the gracious, omnipotent power of God efficaciously working in us.

NEXT: Christ finished the work of God He was sent to do on Earth.

Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work (John 4:24).

In my previous post I used scriptural arguments which concluded that our Christian faith is the work of God.

We are His workmanship, a new creation, which He made, not we ourselves.

In order to make us, (who were spiritually dead sinners), fit for adoption, He sent His Son to acquire all spiritual blessings/gifts necessary for such an endeavor.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ (Ephesians 1:6).

It was the Father whose wisdom and grace found a way, through Christ, to qualify us for Heaven:

Ögiving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light (Colossians 1:12).

Please note there is no mention of manís self-generated faith as a qualifier.

Had that been the case, Paul should have stated, ígiving thanks to you Colossians, whose faith qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.í

Rather it is the spiritual blessings/gifts, including the gift of faith, which Christ merited on our behalf. These are what qualify us.

Christís perfect obedience to the will of the Father was essential to acquiring all blessings/gifts which comprise eternal life.

Just prior to His crucifixion Christ declared:

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do (John 17:4).

Christ accomplished, with perfection, all that the Father sent Him to do while on Earth.

Jesus reiterates this truth while on the cross: It is finished (John 19:30).

But what, exactly did Jesus accomplish; what work did He finish?

Jesus Himself gives us the answer:

Öfor I came not to judge the world, but to save the world (John 12:47b).

Jesus designates those He is sent to save:

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him (John 17:2).

Those given to Christ are those who were chosen in Christ by the Father before the foundation of the world, before they were born (Ephesians 1:4).

And on what basis were they chosen? Was it due to their foreseen faith?

No. It was due to the good pleasure of His will which He eternally purposed in Himself without any outside influence whatsoever.

Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his willÖ..which he hath purposed in himself (Ephesians 1:5, 9).

Remember, there is no higher reason or greater cause why it is God does what He does.

His will is the sole rule in determining what is right, good and holy.

Jesus states as much:

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
    Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight
    (Matthew 11:25-26).

It is good when God hides the truth of Christ from many.

Why? Because He willed it.

Why did God choose some for salvation and not all? Because God willed it.

Why did God choose this one rather than that one? Because God willed it.

Why am I a Christian while other family members are not? Because God willed it.

Why do I have faith while others do not? Because God willed it.

We are Christians because God willed to have mercy upon us, not because of foreseen faith we might have (Romans 9: 15-16).

As Creator, Savior and Governor, God has the right to do with His own as He pleases:

Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good? (Matthew 20:15).

God has the lawful right to give saving grace or withhold it as He deems good.

Who Did Christ Come to Save?

He came to save as many as the Father had given Him (John 17:2 cited above).

Itís not as if Christ hadnít the power to save all mankind, for He states He has power over all flesh (John 17:2).

Rather, He gives eternal life to those given Him, who were chosen by the Father before the foundation of the world.

Christ, the good Shepherd, calls them Ďmy sheep.í

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand
    (John 10:27-29).

Those who are ordained/elected/chosen by the Father for salvation will be the recipients of eternal life given them by Christ.

And all those ordained to eternal life will believe:

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed (Acts 13:48).

Luke does not say Ďas many as believed were ordained to eternal life.í

Faith is the result of Godís election.

God's election is the cause of faith.

Christ accomplished all things necessary to insure/guarantee eternal life for Godís chosen ones.

His perfect obedience merited the acquisition of eternal life, which must include all spiritual gifts necessary to effect that acquisition.

And first on that list is a living, holy faith which justifies.

NEXT: What is Proof One Has Eternal Life?

Faith is the gift of God which He wrought in Christ.

For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake; (Phil. 1:29).
    Phil1:29 is in the context of what is also stated in Phil1:30, "the same conflict having, such as ye saw in me, and now hear of in me." [referring to the reason he was now experiencing imprisonment. There was a reason.]

Don't take these so far out of context that they begin to say something entirely other than was meant. (Calvinism has a bad habit of doing that... but Arminianism does this as well to come to its faulty conclusions.)

Hi Chad:

Please cite Scripture which declares men have 'free will' to obey God.

Men have the 'freedom' to disobey God, which they do every day.

In fact, Scripture states men are the natural enemies of God who cannot comply with God's commands because it is impossible for them to do so (Romans 8:7).

The Pharisees typify unregenerate, though religious, men.

Christ castigates them for their unwillingness to come to him (John 5:40).

"They will not."

No man comes to Christ unless the Father efficaciously draws him (John 6:44).

Christ refutes the notion of man coming to Him by the power of his own will.

Are you trying to suggest that the Scriptures were written after the time of "[any] Christian organization throughout history"? ["the Church which is His body" began here: Eph 1:20-23 "when"
    No, I am not. I am simply pointing to the fact that many Christians attempt to justify their interpretation because salvation is not of works, but the gift of God.

No Christian disputes this. However, the point Paul is making references faith as the gift of God, which Christians DO dispute.

Paul states there is boasting when one presumes to be the originator of one's faith.

Phil1:29 is in the context of what is also stated in Phil1:30, "the same conflict having, such as ye saw in me, and now hear of in me." [referring to the reason he was now experiencing imprisonment. There was a reason.]

Don't take these so far out of context that they begin to say something entirely other than was meant. (Calvinism has a bad habit of doing that... but Arminianism does this as well to come to its faulty conclusions.)
    Suffering is ordained of not only Paul but millions of Christians since the days of Paul.

That is not in dispute. What is in dispute is the clear statement preceding this which states our faith was also ordained by God, and given as a gift.

Absolutely. One must be regenerated and raised to spiritual life in order to receive the things of the Spirit of God.

Except a man be born again (made spiritually alive in Christ) he cannot see the Kingdom of God.

He cannot see/discern/understand that Kingdom because it is a spiritual Kingdom, as is its God.

Cf. 1 Cor. 2:14

Suffering is ordained of not only Paul but millions of Christians since the days of Paul.

That is not in dispute. What is in dispute is the clear statement preceding this which states our faith was also ordained by God, and given as a gift.
    The text says, "you [plural]" ['to you [plural]']... but what the text of Phil1:29-30 does not say is [the types of things Calvinists say it is saying], "He poured 'faith' into your individual person"

(Rom 3:21 KJV) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

(Rom 3:22 KJV) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

A person must have faith and put thier trust in Christ Jesus. It is a decision, done through free-will

Believe G4100. pisteuo, pist-yoo'-o; from G4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by impl. to entrust (espec. one's spiritual well-being to Christ):--believe (-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

If we have no freewill and all is ordained before time, then free will does not exist. It is an illusion. Everything since the beginning of time, all events, all the people who are to be saved and lost has already been decided before the creation of the world. God really is only the one who has freewill to pre-destined all events before creation according to the will of God.

The fall of angels, the fall of man, heaven and hell - they are all pre-destined by the will of God. Man or anything else God has created really has no free will, it has already been pre-destined and decided by God.

(Rom 3:23 KJV) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

(Rom 3:24 KJV) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Freely G1432. dorean, do-reh-an'; acc. of G1431 as adv.; gratuitously (lit. or fig.):--without a cause, freely, for naught, in vain.

Hi Chad:

Please cite Scripture which declares men have 'free will' to obey God.

Men have the 'freedom' to disobey God, which they do every day.

In fact, Scripture states men are the natural enemies of God who cannot comply with God's commands because it is impossible for them to do so (Romans 8:7).

The Pharisees typify unregenerate, though religious, men.

Christ castigates them for their unwillingness to come to him (John 5:40).

"They will not."

No man comes to Christ unless the Father efficaciously draws him (John 6:44).

Christ refutes the notion of man coming to Him by the power of his own will.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    (Rom 3:21 KJV) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

(Rom 3:22 KJV) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

A person must have faith and put thier trust in Christ Jesus. It is a decision, done through free-will.
    But as I have shown via Scripture men are not 'free' to obey that which they hate.

The murder of Christ is the paramount proof.

The depravity of hate-filled man is the reason why God graciously gives His chosen hearts of flesh to replace hearts of stone (Ezek. 36:26-27).

This is also the reason why we must be 'born again.' Our old sin nature will not obey God.

If we have no freewill and all is ordained before time, then free will does not exist. It is an illusion. Everything since the beginning of time, all events, all the people who are to be saved and lost has already been decided before the creation of the world. God really is only the one who has freewill to pre-destined all events before creation according to the will of God.

The fall of angels, the fall of man, heaven and hell - they are all pre-destined by the will of God. Man or anything else God has created really has no free will, it has already been pre-destined and decided by God.
    Free will to obey God does not exist. Free will to sin does exist.

Yes, it is true, God has ordained all things which come to pass (Ephesians 1:11), including those who He will save.

Yes, God is the only One truly free.

Your birth and death were preordained from eternity (Eccles. 3:2).

Do you doubt that all things in between were left up to 'chance'?

(Rom 3:23 KJV) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

(Rom 3:24 KJV) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Freely G1432. dorean, do-reh-an'; acc. of G1431 as adv.; gratuitously (lit. or fig.):--without a cause, freely, for naught, in vain.
    Yes, we are justified by grace, which was gratuitous since God gives us faith as His free gift to His chosen.

Thread Information