Thread: Should a person ever truly be perfect?

Should a person ever truly be perfect?

To start off, I would like to confess my daily sins: Smoking cigarettes, masturbation, sloth, faithlessness, and the occasional beer or two, probably among others.

In the past, I cut off all these sins. But then people were saying I was becoming psychotic and losing touch with reality. I was speaking truth too harshly, and my doctor said I need to go to the hospital to avoid hurting others or others hurting me.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and I fear that if I were to cut off my sins, I would go mad again.

Another thing that I felt was a self-righteousness that I was too "perfect" for this world.

So how can one become truly strong without compromising their well-being, and perhaps making people around resentful? Should a person go all out and disregard others' advice, or should one try to find their place in this world and just wait for Jesus?

Blog Entries

Re: Should a person ever truly be perfect?

I won't pretend to know your situation to the full, but if I may, give you some Biblical references to help you on your journey with Christ.

I can relate a little bit with what others have been saying to you. I grew up spiritually knowing that this earth was only a temporary home and that my true home was somewhere else. I just didn't know where at the time. The very vew friends I had confided in about it thought I was insane or "too good" for this world. They thought I was self-righteous when I wasn't at all trying to come across that way. So, I kept that to myself the rest of my life, really. No one understood that I believed in God, but I didn't know Him then. I was searching, but did not find until much later in my life. Even now, I am still searching to know Jesus better.

People of the world won't understand (Jude 1:10) if they don't have ears to hear or eyes to see with a genuine, seeking heart (Matthew 13:16).

Christians become strong when we ever lean on God rather than our own understanding: (Proverbs 3:5-10) And in everything we do, remember and give thanks to God (Proverbs 10:31). God's power is made perfect through our weaknesses: Sufficient Grace (2 Corinthians 12:1-10) Now this we can certainly rest in His strength!

I pray this helps you with your walk with Christ!

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith View Post
    I won't pretend to know your situation to the full, but if I may, give you some Biblical references to help you on your journey with Christ.

I can relate a little bit with what others have been saying to you. I grew up spiritually knowing that this earth was only a temporary home and that my true home was somewhere else. I just didn't know where at the time. The very vew friends I had confided in about it thought I was insane or "too good" for this world. They thought I was self-righteous when I wasn't at all trying to come across that way. So, I kept that to myself the rest of my life, really. No one understood that I believed in God, but I didn't know Him then. I was searching, but did not find until much later in my life. Even now, I am still searching to know Jesus better.

People of the world won't understand (Jude 1:10) if they don't have ears to hear or eyes to see with a genuine, seeking heart (Matthew 13:16).

Christians become strong when we ever lean on God rather than our own understanding: (Proverbs 3:5-10) And in everything we do, remember and give thanks to God (Proverbs 10:31). God's power is made perfect through our weaknesses: Sufficient Grace (2 Corinthians 12:1-10) Now this we can certainly rest in His strength!

Your post has inspired me to kneel down and pray, so I did. I tried to pray for the well-being of those around me, even the girl I saw at the convenience store the other day, and my sister and her boyfriend. And as I type this I'm still praying for my parents, and my relatives and everyone else I know or have come across. But there's a problem, and I feel the LORD is denying my prayer at this time, saying: "Why do you bother me with this prayer when you do not have the courage to face these people and speak truth to them? For many of these people are perishing, and you are so caught-up in self-indulgence and pity that you do not help them, instead you fear them instead of me."

I have been denying truth for so long that I have found myself in a very dark place, and my body is beginning to get uncomfortable form all the cigarettes. Please pray that I can somehow overcome my past demons through confession, so that I can find some friends who will help me on my path towards Christ's love. Thank you for inspiring me to pray in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Each time I do, I seem to get an answer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Translucent1 View Post
    Your post has inspired me to kneel down and pray, so I did. I tried to pray for the well-being of those around me, even the girl I saw at the convenience store the other day, and my sister and her boyfriend. And as I type this I'm still praying for my parents, and my relatives and everyone else I know or have come across. But there's a problem, and I feel the LORD is denying my prayer at this time, saying: "Why do you bother me with this prayer when you do not have the courage to face these people and speak truth to them? For many of these people are perishing, and you are so caught-up in self-indulgence and pity that you do not help them, instead you fear them instead of me."

I have been denying truth for so long that I have found myself in a very dark place, and my body is beginning to get uncomfortable form all the cigarettes. Please pray that I can somehow overcome my past demons through confession, so that I can find some friends who will help me on my path towards Christ's love. Thank you for inspiring me to pray in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Each time I do, I seem to get an answer.

Wow! I just had to thank God for your seeking heart, a desire to understand Him!

Translucent, I think you should ask God if He is testing your faith. As Christians we are tested through the fire to be refined, this is how we grow in relationship with God. 1 Corinthians 3:13 and Zechariah 13:9. Rejoice! God has heard you otherwise He would have not answered you.

You have nothing to fear when God is with you: Psalm 46

Please don't get discouraged from being imperfect and stumbling into sin. If you truly desire to overcome these old habits and put them to rest, just humble yourself and ask God for forgiveness and to help you. There's nothing we can do apart from Him: John 15:5. In fact, take heed to what Jesus said there. Our job as Christians are to remain in Him, not out of being "perfect" but being humble in our weakness and relying solely upon God with our every need for He knows our needs.

Oh, and with Christ, the battle is already won with any situation we are in. We just have to stick it out until that season has past because in struggle, we grow in our faith. That is how He strengthens us.

Please know that you are never alone, God is ALWAYS with you. In my experience and my own testimony, God has been silent with me for a very long time. I thought He had left me when I was making all these bad decisions in life, but He actually never left! I just stopped feeling His presence and in that long season of silence He was still speaking to me in His own way with me.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith View Post

I am going to agree with Aerith here. I don't think they could have said it any better, to be honest. I don't even believe perfection exists, save for our Creator Himself. We become strong as we continue to seek the Lord and rely on Him, rather than ourselves and anything of this world.

Thread Information