Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: What should I change my major to?

  1. #1

    What should I change my major to?

    I haven't even started college yet and I regret picking English and Spanish as a double major (I am aware that I can change). Over the summer, I will take tutoring to improve my mathematics skills before I begin college, because at the moment all I have going for me is English. I want to be an English professor, because I have potential there, but at the same time I realize how suicidal it is to pick liberal arts as a conservative Christian. I don't know what sort of degree I should pursue. I don't know otherwise what sort of career I should pursue. I don't know if I could train myself that well in mathematics in time for something useful like programming. If I can't get myself up to the math skill level of being able to realistically pursue computer science, what should I do?

    My dad requires me to do college, and I must obey him. There's no backing out of that. I suggested trade school and he said, "no one with an ACT of 29 should be a welder."

  2. #2

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    I think if I answer you with my story rather than telling you what to do, I'll be able to assist you better.

    My dad required me to work with him as a renovator for a while. So I did, and it was disastrous; people were staring at me, I had no idea what I was doing, I was sweating, and I had a nervous breakdown. So I had to tell him assertively that I was not meant to do construction work, and that I simply cannot do it. At first he was mad, now he is just disappointed. And I do feel somewhat bad about it, but I had to take care of my mental health first and foremost.

  3. #3

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    So the moral of the story is don't obey dad?
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

  4. #4

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    So the moral of the story is don't obey dad?
    Not if your dad is taking you by the hand and leading you down towards hell. Also,
    Matthew 10:36: "A man's enemies will be members of his own household. Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me."

  5. #5

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Translucent1 View Post
    Not if your dad is taking you by the hand and leading you down towards hell. Also,
    Matthew 10:36: "A man's enemies will be members of his own household. Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me."
    I work in construction and wouldn't describe that as hell. So leading someone to hard work is hardly hell.
    And your using that scripture out of context. The enemies of your household are based on you being a believer, and them not. Not that they require you to work hard.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

  6. #6

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    I work in construction and wouldn't describe that as hell. So leading someone to hard work is hardly hell.
    And your using that scripture out of context. The enemies of your household are based on you being a believer, and them not. Not that they require you to work hard.
    If your dad answers to the LORD, then obey him. If he doesn't know God and refuses to learn about Him, then beware for he could become a stumbling block. That's what I meant with the quote.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northwest United States (usually)
    Posts
    643
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Your dad requires you to go to college, but expects you to pay for it with student loans, I assume? That could be disastrous for most liberal arts degrees. The U.S., Canada, Western Europe--most of the world, really--is late in the macroeconomic debt cycle, which means lower growth, stagnant wages, less family formation, and not much room for art and literature. You would be wise to be practical in your choice of education, but I can't say what field without knowing more about your aptitudes. For example, an aptitude for music and especially composition is a better indicator for front-end web development than mathematics, and that field rewards autodidacts who don't pursue degrees. Even in engineering the math generally isn't so difficult, but it often helps to have spatially realistic daydreaming skills, to run simulations in your head in order to determine which simplified mathematical models are most appropriate. You should know whether you have a knack for building or fixing things so they work. And then there is a lot of growth in the medical field with aging Baby-Boomers, though again I would avoid debt where possible. Hard to say what you should do--keep it in prayer--but the times, they are a-changing.

  8. #8

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by little watchman View Post
    Your dad requires you to go to college, but expects you to pay for it with student loans, I assume? That could be disastrous for most liberal arts degrees. The U.S., Canada, Western Europe--most of the world, really--is late in the macroeconomic debt cycle, which means lower growth, stagnant wages, less family formation, and not much room for art and literature. You would be wise to be practical in your choice of education, but I can't say what field without knowing more about your aptitudes. For example, an aptitude for music and especially composition is a better indicator for front-end web development than mathematics, and that field rewards autodidacts who don't pursue degrees. Even in engineering the math generally isn't so difficult, but it often helps to have spatially realistic daydreaming skills, to run simulations in your head in order to determine which simplified mathematical models are most appropriate. You should know whether you have a knack for building or fixing things so they work. And then there is a lot of growth in the medical field with aging Baby-Boomers, though again I would avoid debt where possible. Hard to say what you should do--keep it in prayer--but the times, they are a-changing.
    No, no loans. Presidential scholarship I was awarded plus his money. What's a good way to find what I'm good with?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    13,446

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
    No, no loans. Presidential scholarship I was awarded plus his money. What's a good way to find what I'm good with?
    Welding can wait till after college. The degree could very well prove useful down the road. What are your long term goals, and what kind of work do you really enjoy?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  10. #10

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    I would say take the issue to the Father and let Him lead you above a bunch of random people on a forum.

    That said, Id suggest getting the basics for most degrees out of the way first that way IF you change your degree halfway through you didn't waste much, if any time and effort as they are the basics for a reason. Spend that time in prayer and in reflection during this time waiting and seeking a path. This was the advice given to me before I decided on a major.

    As for anyone saying ones ability to work with their hands is a sign of their I.Q. Jesus was a carpenter. If you believe yourself to possess more wisdom and intellect than that of the Son of God. Then I must ask who is the fool?

    The man working with his hands...... or the one .. putting the salvation of his soul into the hands of one that does the very thing they declare makes one intellectually inferior.

    Brains without the willingness to roll up ones sleeves is worthless. Anyone can be a dreamer, the world needs doers.

    Whatever it is you end up doing, do it to the best of your ability. NOT because you love the company, but because you represent your Father and are called to be different. Even if the world fails to see your works, God doesn't.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    The first and most important thing to realize in your life is, What do you love to do? The love of your job is number one. Now I'm terrible in English and probably my typing tells on me.
    Chase what you love or work will drag you down. That "piece of paper" from college is your ticket to opening doors. Choose your key (major) wisely.

    English experts could be speech writers or Pastors or lawyers. What is your gifts given to you by God? Find who you are and you should find what you love to do.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

    Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. John 20:29

    Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Rom 13:2

    Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life. James 1:12

  12. #12

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zack7 View Post
    I would say take the issue to the Father and let Him lead you above a bunch of random people on a forum.
    What does this first part mean ("take it to the Father"). What does that mean? I pray... and then what? I've been healed from being barely able to walk due to a knee injury and my dad has been healed from neck pain. I told my grandfather in broken Spanish (and several shouts to my mother of "how do you say") the Gospel message and nothing else and just on that he accepted Jesus. I've just never heard God talk. I know what a response to a prayer for healing is like: if it goes from extreme pain to no pain, then that was God answering. What would an answer to a prayer that is a question be like?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,352

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
    I haven't even started college yet and I regret picking English and Spanish as a double major (I am aware that I can change). Over the summer, I will take tutoring to improve my mathematics skills before I begin college, because at the moment all I have going for me is English. I want to be an English professor, because I have potential there, but at the same time I realize how suicidal it is to pick liberal arts as a conservative Christian. I don't know what sort of degree I should pursue. I don't know otherwise what sort of career I should pursue. I don't know if I could train myself that well in mathematics in time for something useful like programming. If I can't get myself up to the math skill level of being able to realistically pursue computer science, what should I do?

    My dad requires me to do college, and I must obey him. There's no backing out of that. I suggested trade school and he said, "no one with an ACT of 29 should be a welder."
    Stick with what you want to do, because you're not going to be anyone else anytime soon, and this decision will have significant consequences for your future. If you want to be an English professor, go for it (as a 'conservative Christian' you'll survive, if you survive).

    I work in 'IT': a computer science degree will give you a background in the theory of, e.g., programming languages, but that's it. When it comes to IT, the vast majority of companies don't care if you have a degree or not: if you can program, you can program, and they'll hire you (by contrast, if you have a degree and can't program, then they won't). I don't have a computer science degree, and you'd probably be wasting your time and money getting one. Teach yourself, or don't bother.

    You've got an ACT score of 29 - congrats. Plenty of extremely intelligent people work in the trades, and they do because the trades aren't easy.

    Sounds like it's time to take your dad's advice to heart, consider it, and then be an adult and make the decisions that are best for you, and not the decisions that are purely out of guilt or a misguided sense of duty and obedience. But we're just random people on the internet -- it's up to you. Have a nice life.

    \_(ツ)_/

  14. #14

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
    What does this first part mean ("take it to the Father"). What does that mean? I pray... and then what? I've been healed from being barely able to walk due to a knee injury and my dad has been healed from neck pain. I told my grandfather in broken Spanish (and several shouts to my mother of "how do you say") the Gospel message and nothing else and just on that he accepted Jesus. I've just never heard God talk. I know what a response to a prayer for healing is like: if it goes from extreme pain to no pain, then that was God answering. What would an answer to a prayer that is a question be like?
    Well, His response would depend on how He speaks to you. You say you have never heard Him talk, but you likely aren't going to hear Him speak to you through the clouds in a big booming voice, but He DOES have ways of speaking. Such as coming across something in His word that you needed to see at the moment, or the moment that something you read 100 times yet never understood suddenly makes sense and you just instantly "get it".

    We all have our "burning bush" of sorts moments in a means that God gets our attention and speaks to us through. I sadly can not give you answer as to what it will look like when He answers you, through those around you, through your heart, through events, through your passion etc...... He knows you perfectly, how to get your attention and how to speak to you. I do not. All I can say truthfully of any value to answer that question is to keep your heart open to the answer, whenever and however He chooses to speak to you.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    13,446

    Re: What should I change my major to?

    I would encourage you to keep in mind the robots that are coming. Lots of things that people do now, will be automated in the near future. You could think about getting a business degree, then focusing on something you do with your hands. Just be prepared to shift if and when automation comes into the field you choose to study.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 373
    Last Post: Jul 28th 2012, 02:24 AM
  2. The First Major Book You Read
    By BrckBrln in forum Christian Fellowship
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Sep 21st 2010, 10:49 PM
  3. Three Major Religions
    By Ekeak in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Jul 30th 2010, 08:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •