Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Author of "the Message" does an about face

Blog Entries

Author of "the Message" does an about face

Eugene Peterson, Biblical scholar, author of "The Message" and more than 100 other books, and former Presbyterian pastor, has retracted comments he made in support of gay marriage to a prominent journalist. He stated that interactions with LGBT Christians altered his perspective to the point that he no longer opposed gay marriage. When asked about his views on same-sex marriage and homosexuality, Peterson said, in part:

"I wouldn’t have said this 20 years ago, but now I know a lot of people who are gay and lesbian and they seem to have as good a spiritual life as I do. I think that kind of debate about lesbians and gays might be over. People who disapprove of it, they’ll probably just go to another church. So we’re in a transition and I think it’s a transition for the best, for the good. I don’t think it’s something that you can parade, but it’s not a right or wrong thing as far as I’m concerned."

Upon hearing this news, LifeWay, America's largest Christian retailer chain, announced that if Peterson indeed supported same sex marriage, it could no longer carry his resources and publications. The 84 year-old Peterson retracted his statements the very next day.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/new...ne-peters.html

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Author of "the Message" does an about face

All I can say is something I said back in July 2013

77. Retraction
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Blog Entries

Peterson's particular retraction would have seemed more sincere had it come before the statement issued by LifeWay....

When we stand before the Judgment Seat, we will have retained only two things from our earthly life: what God gave us, and what we did with what He gave us.

Blog Entries

Seems he was sincere earlier in the week when he declared his repositioning against the Word but when this resulted in loss of revenue, it's just another jump to another wave to reveal more bad fruit.

Here is a comment I made on social media in reply to a comment to that 2013 Blog entree that I just reposted:

We all make "mistakes." It's when someone repositions themself and call sin = OK!! Then after the repercussions and loss of revenue is experienced due to their repositioning AGAINST the Word, they then retract that position so they don't suffer in a worldly way.

Well, eternally the suffering is only beginning... much prayer is needed as the enemy continues to devour from the top on down through the whole Body. We will see more and more fall from faith as they begin to surf from wave to wave as the world overtakes them.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Blog Entries

This is the part of the interview that got him in trouble, which I neglected to add in earlier:

MERRITT: "A follow up: if you were pastoring today and a gay couple in your church who were Christians of good faith asked you to perform their same-sex wedding ceremony, is that something you would do?"

PETERSON: "Yes."

In his retraction, the 84-year-old said that in nearly three decades as a pastor and in the years since, “I’ve never performed a same-sex wedding. I’ve never been asked and, frankly, I hope I never am asked. “This reporter, however, asked a hypothetical question: if I were pastoring today and if a gay couple were Christians of good faith and if they asked me to perform their wedding ceremony—if, if, if. Pastors don’t have the luxury of indulging in hypotheticals,” said Peterson. “And to be honest, no is not a word I typically use.” Peterson went on to state that because of the biblical view of marriage, he would not marry a same-sex couple.

"When put on the spot by this particular interviewer, I said yes in the moment. But on further reflection and prayer, I would like to retract that. That’s not something I would do out of respect to the congregation, the larger church body, and the historic biblical Christian view and teaching on marriage. That said, I would still love such a couple as their pastor. They’d be welcome at my table, along with everybody else."

In a post about the retraction, Merritt explained that he asked Peterson about homosexuality after hearing privately that he affirmed same-sex relationships. Their conversation took place last week by phone and lasted about 30 minutes. “It is possible that Peterson felt he had been placed on the spot and offered an answer that doesn’t reflect his true conviction,” Merritt wrote. “But it is also important to note that in the week prior to the publication of his answers, there was no attempt to clarify or change his answer to these questions.”

http://www.christianitytoday.com/new...-marriage.html

Blog Entries

Oh boy. Remember World Vision a couple years ago and their policy change and quick flip-flop?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

Peterson has put himself in an awkward position. His integrity is now in question because he clearly stated he would officiate at a gay marriage ceremony, and then flip-flopped after LifeWay issued its ominous statement regarding the sales of his products. Now he has no credibility with the "gay Christians" he took a stand for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Peterson has put himself in an awkward position. His integrity is now in question because he clearly stated he would officiate at a gay marriage ceremony, and then flip-flopped after LifeWay issued its ominous statement regarding the sales of his products. Now he has no credibility with the "gay Christians" he took a stand for.
    Lets all heed to the warning that light and darkness have nothing to do with each other. If you want to appease darkness it will devour you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Lets all heed to the warning that light and darkness have nothing to do with each other. If you want to appease darkness it will devour you.
    Can Christians be devoured by the devil when they succumb to the world's pressures?
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Yes. And children of light should be exposing the works of darkness for what they are--not attempting to be "modern" or progressive", as so many Christians and churches are doing today, as the Apostle Paul foretold when he spoke of believers in the last days giving heed to seducing spirits and demon-inspired beliefs (1Tim 4:1)

And he also reminded us:

For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. Therefore do not become partners with them; 8for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. (Eph 5:5-11)

Standards of morality within societies of the world may change over time, and the leadership within the ranks of denominationalism may compromise to keep up with them, but God does not. His word is forever settled in heaven. One day, every steward will stand before the Lord to give a personal account. At that time, it won't be about those denominations, corporate decisions, or anyone else but that individual. And no one will be able to deny the truth of what they did or said. I think it would behove us all to stop thinking in terms of "the moment", and start thinking in terms of eternity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Can Christians be devoured by the devil when they succumb to the world's pressures?

Kalahari can answer for himself, but he actually said that darkness--not the Devil, would do the consuming.

We cannot win people to the Lord by being harsh and judgmental, but must love them as they are--just as the Lord did us. Yet, we do a great disservice both to our holy God and to those we witness to, if we dismiss the truth that a deviant lifestyle He calls an abomination is perfectly acceptable. Repentance is required of us when we come to the Lord. There is a vast difference between a professing Christian who is struggling with same sex attraction and seeking deliverance from it, and one who is openly gay and happily in a same sex relationship.

Peterson stated that homosexuals he personally knew seem to have as good a spiritual life as him. Considering the fact homosexuality is condemned as an abomination by God, that's a strange thing for a spiritual elder to say. How can a child of God bear the light of the Gospel to those in darkness if there truly is no difference between their darkness and his light? Light and darkness are mutually exclusive. Either the light will drive the darkness away, or you must abandon your light and enter the darkness. I think something along those lines is what Kalahari was getting at when he spoke of being consumed by the darkness when you try to appease it. If so, I totally agree.

You can't unring a bell. He spoke his true views and never indicated that there was a misquote. He retracted his statement because of the backlash and financial implications. I have zero respect for that. Sadly, this is the voice of the apostate church and will continue to expand.

Blog Entries

And it's the reason I stopped attending/visiting churches of a certain denomination. That bell has been rung by many others and it calls people away from the true word and light of God and into the darkness and deception of the evil one.
    “For it has never yet been known to fail that one fool, when he goes astray, takes several others with him.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    Kalahari can answer for himself, but he actually said that darkness--not the Devil, would do the consuming.

We cannot win people to the Lord by being harsh and judgmental, but must love them as they are--just as the Lord did us. Yet, we do a great disservice both to our holy God and to those we witness to, if we dismiss the truth that a deviant lifestyle He calls an abomination is perfectly acceptable. Repentance is required of us when we come to the Lord. There is a vast difference between a professing Christian who is struggling with same sex attraction and seeking deliverance from it, and one who is openly gay and happily in a same sex relationship.

Peterson stated that homosexuals he personally knew seem to have as good a spiritual life as him. Considering the fact homosexuality is condemned as an abomination by God, that's a strange thing for a spiritual elder to say. How can a child of God bear the light of the Gospel to those in darkness if there truly is no difference between their darkness and his light? Light and darkness are mutually exclusive. Either the light will drive the darkness away, or you must abandon your light and enter the darkness. I think something along those lines is what Kalahari was getting at when he spoke of being consumed by the darkness when you try to appease it. If so, I totally agree.
    Thanks Sojourner. I could not have said it better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner

I concur, nicely stated!
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

Thread Information