Thread: How should I or we pray?

How should I or we pray?

What is the correct way to pray? I am learning. I do know Mathew and Luke mention the Lord's Prayer. Is that the correct way to pray?

Is it okay to ask for anything? I mean non materialistic things. Can I pray for God to help me with my Faith? Pray for him to show me how to love him or open my heart to it? These are things I struggle with. I lack Faith. Maybe because I have not truly surrendered myself. Can I pray for him to help me with that ?

Re: How should I or we pray?

Mark 9:23-24 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

I believe Jesus helped his unbelief with the asking. So I would say yes ask. Jesus says to ask and it shall be given you. I pray for lots of those things you are talking about over the years. If I see something in scripture that I can apply to me I stop and pray about it and so I have done a lot of asking over the years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MSC71 View Post
    What is the correct way to pray? I am learning. I do know Mathew and Luke mention the Lord's Prayer. Is that the correct way to pray?

Is it okay to ask for anything? I mean non materialistic things. Can I pray for God to help me with my Faith? Pray for him to show me how to love him or open my heart to it? These are things I struggle with. I lack Faith. Maybe because I have not truly surrendered myself. Can I pray for him to help me with that ?
    You can pray for whatever is on your heart and mind. There is no set pattern for prayer, though it would appear that Jesus gave us a pattern to follow. But rather, the point of the Lord's prayer is to remind us about the kinds of things that should be on our hearts and minds: God's holiness, his kingdom, and his will. We should also remember that God intends to give us enough bread to make it from day to day, and we should feel confident that he will keep us from temptation if we ask. If we are struggling with surrender, we can pray about that. If we are having a hard time with a particular sin, we can pray about that. If our hearts turn toward our children we can pray for their salvation, and if someone in our church is in jail we can pray for them. Pray for whatever is on your heart; and set your heart on things above.

Types of prayer to be used independently or together:
    A doration
    C confession
    T thanksgiving
    S upplication

ACTS helped me as I learned to pray.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I am embarrassed to say this but I don't feel thankful for things I should. I lack Faith. I struggle with loving God. I am truly thankful for one thing and that is my son. I guess God knows this and I should confess this and pray about it. I have always had a good job, a roof over my head, food to eat etc. I need to figure out how to totally surrender and let go. It is hard for me. Letting go of control.

Blog Entries

The things you suggest to pray for here are exactly the right things, imo. I have and do ask for very same things. Materialistic things, rot and rust will destroy. Set up for thy self treasures in Heaven.

These things will never disappear.

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.…Matt 6
    Last edited by bluesky22; Jul 17th 2017 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Clarity
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

I've found that one of the best things you can do, when praying, is to ask for unselfish things for others. In this way I've found that I'm showing concern, together with the Lord, for the salvation and well-being of others.

We do not often know how we should pray, or what we should ask for. Therefore, we should ask for guidance as we go about our daily life, and for wisdom to know which path is the wisest path. And yes, we should pray for spiritual growth, to guard against complacency, double-mindedness, distractions, etc. We should pray for a hunger to seek God and His righteousness. Neither should we be afraid to pray for things we want, assuming the things we want can serve a good purpose. And it's important that when we pray for things we want we allow the Lord to put obstacles in our way if He wants to.

Prayer is a communion with God, a sense of His abiding presence. You can just *think* prayers to Him, and sometimes it's good to speak out our prayers, perhaps even in the witness of others. That way, when the answers come you can prove you asked first, before the answer came. You can prove that it was really God who answered the prayers, and not some kind of machination or manipulation of events.

What we're doing with prayer is letting God basically take over our mind and heart. We feel what God feels. It's a good thing to want to pray and even seek to know how to pray. Nobody but Christ has it down. We'll all keep learning until we achieve immortality.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips and advice. I am embarrassed to say this but I don't feel thankful for things I should. I lack Faith. I struggle with loving God. I am truly thankful for one thing and that is my son. I guess God knows this and I should confess this and pray about it. I have always had a good job, a roof over my head, food to eat etc. I need to figure out how to totally surrender and let go. It is hard for me. Letting go of control.
    Don't focus on letting go. Rather, focus on the source of the good things in your life. Have a son to love is a good thing. Have a job and a roof over your head is a good thing. What's important to remember is that God is the source of all good things, and this is the basis for our giving thanks. Loving someone who has provided for and cared for you is no struggle. What IS a struggle at times is being able to see and understand that it was God who provided all these things. Once you get a vision for this truth, you will no longer struggle with loving God.

If you don't see it, pray that God will show it to you. I think he might.

Quote Originally Posted by CadyandZoe View Post
    Don't focus on letting go. Rather, focus on the source of the good things in your life. Have a son to love is a good thing. Have a job and a roof over your head is a good thing. What's important to remember is that God is the source of all good things, and this is the basis for our giving thanks. Loving someone who has provided for and cared for you is no struggle. What IS a struggle at times is being able to see and understand that it was God who provided all these things. Once you get a vision for this truth, you will no longer struggle with loving God.

If you don't see it, pray that God will show it to you. I think he might.
    Thanks. I will pray for God to show it to me. I agree, the struggle is not being able to see and understand it was God who provided these things.

The penny doesn't drop overnight. Good things may take a long time. It takes awhile for your head to catch up with your heart. In your heart you know it's right to serve your God and Creator. But your heart doesn't want to pretend. It is what it is. God will change your heart to catch up with what you know is right. As you go through experience together with God you will become grateful. For one thing, pain and the removal of such does make you grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    The penny doesn't drop overnight. Good things may take a long time. It takes awhile for your head to catch up with your heart. In your heart you know it's right to serve your God and Creator. But your heart doesn't want to pretend. It is what it is. God will change your heart to catch up with what you know is right. As you go through experience together with God you will become grateful. For one thing, pain and the removal of such does make you grateful!
    I like that. The penny does not drop overnight. I see people talk about being saved and how their life changed instantly. Maybe that happens for some, but for me it has been a slow process.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
    Praying never works for me. I never get God to do anything for me, or for the people I pray for. He never answers and he never fulfills my wishes. It's almost, as if he doesn't exist.

But why would one want to pray anyway? I mean, God has a plan, right? Why would anyone think God would change his plan, just because you ask him to?
    Again, your insights are spot on. But it isn't as if God doesn't answer prayer. He does. I know this from experience. One of the first things I learned as a young believer was that God was not a genie in a bottle, that would give me exactly what I wanted. Rather, today, I consider myself his "student" in the sense that whatever he gives me, works toward his giving me wisdom. And so, it's possible that God has been answering some of your prayers all along. God has a way of getting to the question behind the request, giving you want you really and actually need, rather than what you thought would satisfy your need.

And what do we really want? If we are wise, we want to be significant and then it's only a matter of learning what makes a person truly significant. For me, I would like to be significant because I am righteous, good, kind, patient, strong, courageous, trustworthy, reliable, and things such as these.

And so the subject of my prayers has changed and evolved over time as I learn to ask for what I really want, or what I really need, rather than other things that aren't as important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
    Praying never works for me. I never get God to do anything for me, or for the people I pray for. He never answers and he never fulfills my wishes. It's almost, as if he doesn't exist.

But why would one want to pray anyway? I mean, God has a plan, right? Why would anyone think God would change his plan, just because you ask him to?
    Sadly most people use prayer as if they were making 3 wishes to a genie. God is not a genie. Nor is he Santa Clause.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Thread Information