Page 1 of 17 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The cycles of the 24th chapter of Matthew

The cycles of the 24th chapter of Matthew

Bible prophecy is often segmented. If the end of each segment is not identified, the timing of different prophetic events becomes skewed. Matthew 24 is an example.

Matt. 24:4-13 was true in the days of the apostles who asked the questions, yet these signs continue today.

Matt. 24:14 is the sign of Jesus' coming, the specific answer to the second question of verse 3. This sign also appears in Rev. 14:6-7.
    6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
    7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Verse 14 concludes: "and then shall the end come." This is the end of this cycle. Matt. 24:4-14 is one segment. Verse 15 picks up with another sign, but out of order.

Matt. 24:15-26 is another prophetic segment. This part of the story begins with the period called the great tribulation.
    The period of great tribulation is followed by verses 27 which speaks about the return of Jesus; and verse 28 which is a picture of what happens to the people who gather at Armageddon. The slaughter at Armageddon and the return of Jesus occur during the last vial of the period of God's wrath. This ends another cycle.

As a side note on verse 22, I believe the miracle which ends the period of great tribulation is found in Rev. 11:11-13, the resurrection of the 2 witnesses.

Matt. 24:29-31 describe another cycle which begins immediately after the period of great tribulation.

I urge us all to look for the end of each prophetic cycle. Finding it or not finding it, is the main reason we have different points of view.

Blog Entries

Re: The cycles of the 24th chapter of Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by 6paths View Post
    Bible prophecy is often segmented. If the end of each segment is not identified, the timing of different prophetic events becomes skewed. Matthew 24 is an example.

Matt. 24:4-13 was true in the days of the apostles who asked the questions, yet these signs continue today.

Matt. 24:14 is the sign of Jesus' coming, the specific answer to the second question of verse 3. This sign also appears in Rev. 14:6-7.
    6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
    7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Verse 14 concludes: "and then shall the end come." This is the end of this cycle. Matt. 24:4-14 is one segment. Verse 15 picks up with another sign, but out of order.

Matt. 24:15-26 is another prophetic segment. This part of the story begins with the period called the great tribulation.
    The period of great tribulation is followed by verses 27 which speaks about the return of Jesus; and verse 28 which is a picture of what happens to the people who gather at Armageddon. The slaughter at Armageddon and the return of Jesus occur during the last vial of the period of God's wrath. This ends another cycle.

As a side note on verse 22, I believe the miracle which ends the period of great tribulation is found in Rev. 11:11-13, the resurrection of the 2 witnesses.

Matt. 24:29-31 describe another cycle which begins immediately after the period of great tribulation.

I urge us all to look for the end of each prophetic cycle. Finding it or not finding it, is the main reason we have different points of view.
    I just did a write-up on this subject at the blogs here (because I use dates to show relationships between puzzle pieces, I didn't even bother posting it in the forum) http://bibleforums.org/entry.php/446...sign-in-heaven

Using Daniel 9, I have shown that the date for the mortal head wounding of the antichrist is dusk Aug 12, 2017 through dusk Aug 15, 2017. http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...-Revelation-12

It is my hypothesis that this event is actually the opening of the 7 Seals, ie the death & resurrection of a false Christ is the 1st Seal. This particular tribulation of the 7 Seals would be 1 month in duration (as per Zech 11:4-17 with the worthless shepherd of verse 17 being this 1st Seal false Christ who is mortally head wounded.

With this in mind: let's look at Matt 24

4 And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. 5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.

9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations for my name's sake. 10 And then many will fall away[a] and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

15 “So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let the one who is on the housetop not go down to take what is in his house, 18 and let the one who is in the field not turn back to take his cloak. 19 And alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days!

20 Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, and never will be. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no human being would be saved. But for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. 24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform great signs and wonders, so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect. 25 See, I have told you beforehand. 26 So, if they say to you, ‘Look, he is in the wilderness,’ do not go out. If they say, ‘Look, he is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. 27 For as the lightning comes from the east and shines as far as the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.

29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

The green section is the Seals, lasting for 1 month.

The blue section starts the trumpets, the 1290 days of the abomination of desolation of Daniel 12:11 (which breaks down to 5 lunar months of the 5th Trumpet + 1150 days of the inner sanctuary going from unclean to clean (aka the 2300 evenings & mornings/ 1150 days) = 1290 days of the abomination + 7 days to cleanse the temple (both adding to 1297 days)

We start the 5 months of the 5th Trumpet at the blue section.

at verses 20-22 in tan, Jesus is moving forward 5 months in time to the winter sabbath, the 'great tribulation'. 5 months after the start of the 1290 days is the 6th Trumpet. this is the start of the 1st half of the 7 year covenant. The great tribulation is the 1st half of the 7 year covenant.

When it says that it is shortened for the elect, I think that this is referring to the fact that for the elect, aka the 'inner sanctuary' is cleansed in 1150 days, but the outer court (which is not necessarily a physical temple) is trampled for 42 months.

At verse 29, Jesus backtracks to the start of the Trumpets/ end of the Seals. The 'tribulation of those days' refers to the 1 month 7 Seals tribulation. The sun, moon darkened, stars fall refers to the 6th Seal but also Trumpets 1-4: the stars fall = the burning mountain & Wormwood of the 2nd & 3rd Trumpets, the powers of the heavens are shaken refers to the 4th Trumpet & hail & fire of the 1st Trumpet.

Mid August is the 1st Seal, then 1 month to mid Sept, then verse 30's 30 Then will appear in heaven the sign of the Son of Man, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

which is this Sept 23, 2017 Rev 12 star sign.

People are physically gathered by the messengers which correlates to the 144,000 sealed & the 'great multitude' of Revelation 7 which is occuring in tandem with the end of the Seals & the 1-4 Trumpets which are the 'sun, moon darkened, stars fall, powers of heaven shaken' like a fig tree.

I think what is going on in the 5th Trumpet is that what is at first a local 1/3 of the "trees" etc burned in the Trumpets 1-4 (say the Middle East, or Israel) turns into a global 1/3 of people killed at the 6th Trumpet. So, it is a great tribulation for a specific area at 1st at the beginning of the Trumpets, then a global great tribulation at the 6th Trumpet.

Blog Entries

The sidenote for Matthew 24:22, the 2 witnesses end the tribulation? I made the mistake of interpreting Rev. 12 as 1260 days are the first half of the 7 year trib. and the 3.5 years are the 2nd half and the 3.5 years is the same as 42 months. Is this how you interpret? Rev. 11 mentions the 42 months and the 1260 days as the same. I now interpret the 3.5 years = 42 months = 1260 days as the last half of Daniel's 70th week in Daniel 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch987 View Post
    The sidenote for Matthew 24:22, the 2 witnesses end the tribulation? I made the mistake of interpreting Rev. 12 as 1260 days are the first half of the 7 year trib. and the 3.5 years are the 2nd half and the 3.5 years is the same as 42 months. Is this how you interpret? Rev. 11 mentions the 42 months and the 1260 days as the same. I now interpret the 3.5 years = 42 months = 1260 days as the last half of Daniel's 70th week in Daniel 9.
    I interpret the 3.5 years = 42 months = 1260 days as the last half of Daniel's 70th week in Daniel 9.

Where I differ from most is that I believe Daniel's 70th week does not end with the return of Jesus. Daniel's 70th week ends the period of great tribulation with the resurrection of the 2 witnesses. The period of great tribulation is then followed by the period of God's wrath as specifically listed in the 7 vials. Both God the Father and God the Son come to earth during the time of the 7th vial. I completely separate the time of great tribulation from the time of God's wrath.

Blur1,

Are you stating that the signs in Matthew 24 concern only the first half of Daniel's 70th week?

If so, what happens during the second half and why aren't those signs mentioned in Matthew 24?

Your position is new to me, so it may take a while to figure it out.

I don't want to bore anybody to tears with my relentless repetition of my beliefs on this subject. So I wish to abbreviate it, because I honestly wish to give you, free of charge, the benefit of many years of prayer and consideration on this subject, as well as unashamed borrowing of the materials of others.

I'm just not sure what format to put this in, for easy reference. So I'll make a quick effort here...

1) Mat 24, Mark 13, and Luk 17,21 all are describing a single discourse--the Olivet Discourse of Jesus. And they all depict the Roman Army in 66-70 AD as the "Abomination of Desolation" approaching and eventually destroying Jerusalem and the temple.

2) The Great Tribulation begins with 70 AD and is a continuation of the Jewish Diaspora from the time of the Assyrian and Babylonian captivities. It is the end of Jewish temple worship and national existence in their land.

Some confusion can result from trying to fit this prophecy in with the prophecies of the book of Revelation. However, the book of Revelation focuses primarily on the 3.5 year reign of Antichrist at the end of the Church Age. The Olivet Discourses focuses primarily on the Jewish destruction in 70 AD and on the resulting Great Tribulation of the Jews in the NT era.

There is also confusion resulting from the comparison of the 3.5 years of Antichrist's Reign with the 70 Weeks of Daniel 9. Dan 9 speaks of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans, whereas the book of Revelation speaks of the Antichrist. Not the same thing.

There are two major questions in the Olivet Discourse that must be, as you suggest, "segmented." There is the question of *when* the temple will be destroyed? And there is also, separately, the question of *when* the end of the age will come?

Jesus answered these questions within the same discourse, but there is an inferred distinction between them. Jesus is answering both questions together, because there is a relationship between them. The destruction of the temple in 70 AD has to be explained in order to justify an extension of time for the end of the age!

For brevity let me suggest the following. The "when" question regarding when the temple would be destroyed is answered by Jesus: *in this generation.* The "when" question regarding when the age will end is answered by Jesus: *when the Jewish Tribulation comes to an end.* And that Tribulation is determined by the preaching of the gospel to the Gentile world.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I don't want to bore anybody to tears with my relentless repetition of my beliefs on this subject.
    Ditto for me.

But here's my view of when the "Seals"/"Beginning of birth PANGS [plural; Matt24:4-8]" START (with many more to follow), if anyone cares to read it, here:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...49#post3387749

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    Ditto for me.

But here's my view of when the "Seals"/"Beginning of birth PANGS [plural; Matt24:4-8]" START (with many more to follow), if anyone cares to read it, here:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...49#post3387749
    I have some of my posts available on another site. But perhaps I will do that here, since I've obviously been here for a little while now. People can be referred here from anywhere right? Do you find it best to post in a blog format or just using posts? I haven't even considered using a blog yet?

I have not a clue about blogs [other than having read some], I never have posted a blog or on a blog (nor do I have any desire to do so). Can't really help you there.

I read this thread with interest. People here have obviously studied this subject well.
    But you all seem to not take sufficient note of the fact of nearly 2000 years since Jesus expounded His Olivet Discourse. During the past 2 Millennia, the Jews have been persecuted, this is the fulfilment of Jeremiah 2:1-37, Ezekiel 16:35-62, Matthew 21:38-43, +
    Now, they are back in a part of the holy Land and they still refuse to believe in Jesus, so they face their third Judgement; Ezekiel 21:14-17...the third swing of the Sword 1/ Babylon, 2/ Rome and the next to come by the Lord. Ezekiel 20:46-48 and Ezekiel 21:1-7, Jeremiah 21:11-14, Luke 19:27

The Sword the Lord will use is described to us over 100 times by the Bible prophets, as His sending fire upon them...and the world. Amos 2:4-5, Isaiah 4:4, Isaiah 22:1-14, +
    The Great Tribulation plainly refers to the 7 Trumpets and 7 Bowls, that will be unleashed during the last 3 1/2 years before Jesus Returns.

The people that Jesus is talking to in Matthew 24, are His followers; Christians, be they Jew or as it happens: 99% Gentiles. All the Lord's faithful people, who are now the inheritors of God's promises: His salvation and the occupancy of all the holy Land. Jeremiah 32:14, Romans 9:24-26.....in the very place, My people will be called the sons of the Living God.

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    I read this thread with interest. People here have obviously studied this subject well.
    But you all seem to not take sufficient note of the fact of nearly 2000 years since Jesus expounded His Olivet Discourse. During the past 2 Millennia, the Jews have been persecuted

[...]

The people that Jesus is talking to in Matthew 24, are His followers; Christians, be they Jew or as it happens: 99% Gentiles. All the Lord's faithful people, who are now the inheritors of God's promises: His salvation and the occupancy of all the holy Land. Jeremiah 32:14, Romans 9:24-26.....in the very place, My people will be called the sons of the Living God.
    Romans 9:26 is referring to Jews/Israel [in contradistinction to v.25 about Gentiles (Hosea 2:23b)], where v.26 says,

"And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God." Romans 9:26 (see also Hosea 1:10-11).

It "was said unto them" (Israel/Jews).

Quote Originally Posted by 6paths View Post

You skip over one segment at least. Matthew 1-6 is between Jesus' death (even life) unto AD 70. It mentions false Christs.

Matthew 24:7-13 or 14 is another segment, its the 2000 some odd year period between AD 70 and the Rapture. The reason the Preaching must come before the END is I think Jesus is saying that Jacobs Troubles are the END TIMES a 7 year period of Repentance and Judgment. There are false prophets (fake preachers/Rabbis) mentioned here.

Matthew 24:15-28 is the Tribulation, the AoD happens, Israel flees, a times of troubles, THE False Prophet and Anti-Christ working MIRACLES and WONDERS show up here. So this is the final 7 year period. The Jesus lets them know, do not be tricked into coming out of your safe zone Israel, for they will tell you Christ/Messiah is in the desert or in the secret chambers, but I will come back in the Eastern Skies, and the Carcass (Armageddon Deaths) will be where the eagles (Church coming back with Christ) gather.

Then of course you have you Second Coming in verses 29-31 and you parable of the Fig Tree in verses 32-35, which basically tells us ALL OF THESE SIGNS must come to pass before Jesus returns not one, not two, not some but ALL.....So the Sun must be darkened and the moon must turn to blood, the heavens must shake, that's the last signs, Israel will see those, the Church will be in Heaven by that time.

We are currently between verse 7-13.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    Romans 9:26 is referring to Jews/Israel [in contradistinction to v.25 about Gentiles (Hosea 2:23b)], where v.26 says,

"And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God." Romans 9:26 (see also Hosea 1:10-11).

It "was said unto them" (Israel/Jews).
    I know rapture believers must interpret Romans 9:26 as all about Israel, specifically; the Jews. But this wrong interpretation is refuted in the very next verse, Romans 9:27, where Paul says: But about Israel, [the Jews] only a remnant will be saved....
    The Advent of Jesus was to extend salvation to all who would accept it. John 3:16 So the children of the Living God, are every Christian, the Christian Jewish remnant and all the faithful Christians from every race, nation and language. 1 Peter 2:9-10, Revelation 5:9-10, Isaiah 66:18b-21 A vast multitude, Revelation 7:9
    THEY are the inheritors of God's promises, of eternal life thru Jesus and of their living in all of the holy Land, being His witnesses, Isaiah 43:10, and the Light to the nations. Isaiah 49:8

[Romans 9-11 "nations" (Israel [singular nation]; Gentiles [nations plural])]

Romans 11 speaks of Israel's "future":

25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them [Israel], when I shall take away their sins.

28 As concerning the gospel, they [Israel] are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they [Israel] are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance [irrevocable].

[see also v.15... which correlates with Ezek37:12-14,20-23; Dan12:1-3,10,6-7; Isa26:16-21; John6:39 [distinct from v.40]; Hos5:15-6:3.... and then Matt24:29-31 correlates with Isa27:12-13 ['one BY one' (end of trib)]; also, the "you/ye" of Matt24 is a consistent "proleptic 'you'"... the believing remnant of Israel of (and who come to faith WITHIN) the future "birth PANGS" time-period, which correlates with the first Seal at the commencement of the 70th-Week/7-yrs leading UP TO Christ's 2nd Coming to the earth, as my earlier link/post shows]

All Israel shall be saved?.
    Romans 11:26-27, And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
    The quotation Paul uses is from Isaiah 59:20 And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob
    When the Bible says that ALL ISRAEL shall be saved in Romans 11:26-27, it refers to only a remnant of the Jewish people and all true Christians, now the Israel of God.

The message to the individual is that he or she must “turn from transgression” to the Lord. There will be a remnant that will turn to him. All of them will be saved. He speaks of the saved remnant as the nation Israel.
    Are the Jews still God's people? Yes, but only those who are both ethnic and spiritual Jews. Saved Gentiles have also been grafted into the tree and are now co-heirs of the promises of God to Israel. Galatians 3:26-29 The apostle Paul was a remnant Jew...
    Romans 11:1, I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. Paul was an ethnic Israelite. Paul says that it's all by God's grace... Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
    In other words, by grace through faith, plus or minus nothing, in the Lord Jesus Christ. Only through faith in Jesus can anyone be a child of God. Confirmed by:
    Galatians 3:26-29, For you are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then are you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
    Clearly, Galatians 3:26-29 states that unsaved Jews cannot be Abraham's spiritual seed, nor are they heirs of the promises of God made to Israel in the Bible. The Bible is very plain on this subject that only born-again Christian believers of any ethnicity are heirs of the promises of God. True, righteous Christians from every race, nation and language are God's people; the Israelites of God.

There is neither Jew nor Gentile in Christ. So we can divide all humanity into one or other of these two groups:
    1/ Every godless unbeliever including the non-Christian Jews and
    2/ All Christian believers, Jews and Gentiles.; people from every race, nation and language. Isaiah 66:18b, Revelation 5:9-10
    God never blesses wicked evildoers. When the Jews rejected Jesus, God gave them into the hands of their enemies, as in 70 AD. Then, for continuing in their disbelief; the many pogroms and the Holocaust. Now they face the third swing of the Sword, Ezekiel 21:1-16

Romans 11:1-2 and 19-23, I say then, Has God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not cast away his people which he foreknew…..You may say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in. Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and we Christians stand by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward you, blessing, so keep your faith: otherwise you also shalt be cut off. And they also, if they change their ways, shall be grafted back in: for God is able to graft them in again.
    This Scripture plainly teaches that ONLY Jews who believe the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ will be grafted back into the tree as God's people.
    God cut off Judah in 586 BC for their continuous and stiffnecked rebellion against His Word, even killing the prophets. God still loves His people, His true people who obey Him, and any Jew can be grafted back into the tree, but all Christ-rejecting Jews are NOT GOD'S PEOPLE. The Parable of the Vineyard shows how the ethnic Jewish people have lost their status. Matthew 21:33-46

Less than 2% of the Jews living in Israel today profess to be a Christian. Only a fool thinks that God loves the apostate, atheistic, gay pride, Christ rejecting Jews. These are NOT God's people.
    So only saved Jews are part of God's people, but most are saved Gentiles. Only believers in Jesus Christ can claim to be heirs of the promises of God to Israel.
    Galatians 3:29 proclaims this truth...And if you be Christ's, then are you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Thread Information