Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 elders origin in OT priestly divisions

24 elders origin in OT priestly divisions

I may have mentioned this before. I was discussing with my brother the throne room scene in Rev 4-5 and the 24 elders, and he suggested they may have originated from the divisions of priests established under King David.

My question is: have you ever heard of this? Sure enough, in looking over the divisions among the Aaronic priests and the divisions among the Levites there seems to have been 24 heads allotted to each.

In 1 Chron 23-24 David established 24 priestly divisions and 24 Levitical divisions. 1 Chron 24 details Aaron's descendants, as head priests, numbering 24, from the surviving two sons of Aaron, Eleazar and Ithamar. There were 16 heads of families for Eleazar, and 8 heads of familites for Ithamar, totaling 24 head priests. In 1 Chron 24 is also listed 24 Levitical heads.

What we found very interesting is that these priestly and Levitical heads play a big role in a number of important activities among the kings of Israel, in particular in the temple worship. It leads me to believe that these dual 24 priestly divisions were designed after perhaps an angelic order of worship in heaven, as indicated in Rev 4-5.

The priests had an actual function within the temple, whereas the Levites were, I believe, musicians. They each stood on each side of the temple, one blowing trumpets and the other playing music. And the Psalms and the records of the Kings of Israel sometimes make mention of these, including Heman, Asaph, and Jeduthan, who were apparently both musicians and prophets.

Do you find this interesting, and can you draw any conclusion with respect to the interpretation of Rev 4-5?

Re: 24 elders origin in OT priestly divisions

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I may have mentioned this before. I was discussing with my brother the throne room scene in Rev 4-5 and the 24 elders, and he suggested they may have originated from the divisions of priests established under King David.

My question is: have you ever heard of this? Sure enough, in looking over the divisions among the Aaronic priests and the divisions among the Levites there seems to have been 24 heads allotted to each.

In 1 Chron 23-24 David established 24 priestly divisions and 24 Levitical divisions. 1 Chron 24 details Aaron's descendants, as head priests, numbering 24, from the surviving two sons of Aaron, Eleazar and Ithamar. There were 16 heads of families for Eleazar, and 8 heads of familites for Ithamar, totaling 24 head priests. In 1 Chron 24 is also listed 24 Levitical heads.

What we found very interesting is that these priestly and Levitical heads play a big role in a number of important activities among the kings of Israel, in particular in the temple worship. It leads me to believe that these dual 24 priestly divisions were designed after perhaps an angelic order of worship in heaven, as indicated in Rev 4-5.

The priests had an actual function within the temple, whereas the Levites were, I believe, musicians. They each stood on each side of the temple, one blowing trumpets and the other playing music. And the Psalms and the records of the Kings of Israel sometimes make mention of these, including Heman, Asaph, and Jeduthan, who were apparently both musicians and prophets.

Do you find this interesting, and can you draw any conclusion with respect to the interpretation of Rev 4-5?
    When Moses was commanded to build the Tabernacle he was shown a "Pattern" on the Mount (Ex.25:40; Heb.8:5). And Hebrews 8:5 goes on to tell us that the Tabernacle was a "shadow" of what really is in heaven. That is, there really is a real Tabernacle in heaven to protect God's holiness, even from His angels (for He must humble Himself to even look at the creation - Ps.113:6). Now, Solomon, for all his wisdom and fame, was not a good servant of God. He multiplied horses and wives to himself against the Law of Moses and led Israel astray by marrying heathen women (700 wives and 300 concubines). So, although it was Solomon who got to build the Temple, it was the obedient servant David who was always in touch with his God, and, who thus got the "Pattern" from God and gave it to Solomon(1st Chronicles Chapter 28). No doubt God also instructed David concerning the Service to the Temple which would have "copied" that in heaven. The 24 Elders of Revelation are the REAL thing, and the 24 "courses" that David commanded Solomon to institute, were a "copy" for earth.

Note also that in the previous Chapter, 1st Chronicles 27, the service to the king was similar. 12 course of 24 thousand per annum.

Note also that the New Jerusalem on the New Earth will have the number 24 in it as well. 12 Tribes of Israel - as Gates, and 12 foundations of Apostles - the Church. 12+12=24. The Walls keep unclean things out, and the Gates let only the clean in (Rev.21:25-27). The Service of men on the New Earth to the Tabernacle of God, New Jerusalem, will be the same then - 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    When Moses was commanded to build the Tabernacle he was shown a "Pattern" on the Mount (Ex.25:40; Heb.8:5). And Hebrews 8:5 goes on to tell us that the Tabernacle was a "shadow" of what really is in heaven. That is, there really is a real Tabernacle in heaven to protect God's holiness, even from His angels (for He must humble Himself to even look at the creation - Ps.113:6). Now, Solomon, for all his wisdom and fame, was not a good servant of God. He multiplied horses and wives to himself against the Law of Moses and led Israel astray by marrying heathen women (700 wives and 300 concubines). So, although it was Solomon who got to build the Temple, it was the obedient servant David who was always in touch with his God, and, who thus got the "Pattern" from God and gave it to Solomon(1st Chronicles Chapter 28). No doubt God also instructed David concerning the Service to the Temple which would have "copied" that in heaven. The 24 Elders of Revelation are the REAL thing, and the 24 "courses" that David commanded Solomon to institute, were a "copy" for earth.

Note also that in the previous Chapter, 1st Chronicles 27, the service to the king was similar. 12 course of 24 thousand per annum.

Note also that the New Jerusalem on the New Earth will have the number 24 in it as well. 12 Tribes of Israel - as Gates, and 12 foundations of Apostles - the Church. 12+12=24. The Walls keep unclean things out, and the Gates let only the clean in (Rev.21:25-27). The Service of men on the New Earth to the Tabernacle of God, New Jerusalem, will be the same then - 24.
    Yes, thank you. It is interesting what you say about the New Jerusalem, and the purpose of the 24 in the walls and at the gates! It appears to be very similar to the purpose of the cherubim, or angels, in the Garden of Eden after the fall of man. These angels were given to keep sinful man out of the Garden and away from the Tree of Life. It appears that the purposes of angels and men seem to coincide in the New Jerusalem in the sense that the purpose of both is to keep sin out of God's place of residence.

Blog Entries

12 apostles + 12 heads of the tribes of Israel =24

As I understand it, there were 24 large family heads which became the 24 divisions. I count 12 smaller families that also cast lots to be joined with their brothers within the 24. I don't see where you are getting and additional 24 Levitical heads? Two separate groups? Maybe I misunderstood. Levites and priests are one and the same as I understand it. All sons of Levi.

The connection to heaven would not surprise me at all. Outside of the 30 minutes in the 7th seal, the angels singing never stops, ever. Temple activities on earth also include near non stop action. (We require sleep, whereas sleep is not needed in heaven.) Further, we read this in Rev 7:

Revelation 7:14 ... “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15 Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple.

What exactly we are going to do in God's temple, I do not know. But, I would not be surprised if it was very much like what was done in the earthly temple. In the end, I do not think the 24 orders of priests and the 24 elders in Rev is an accident. The good news to me is the rotation. It means most of the time we will get to enjoy the rest of the kingdom, friends, etc. Doing the same service every day and night forever doesn't sound very appealing, so the rotation is just right, imo.

Another observation is this. The four creatures AND 24 elders are on Mount Zion with Jesus and the 144k in Rev 14. If indeed you are correct about them being angels and not men, perhaps this is a connection:

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory.

John 1:51 And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.”

This may be a stretch as the thought just occurred to me. Why do the angels need to ascend and descend? Why not just remain in one place of the other? Perhaps it is because of the 24 divisions of angelic priests rotating up and down to serve Christ in their orders. Sounds pretty awesome. I don't know if this is right, but I'll be excited to find!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    As I understand it, there were 24 large family heads which became the 24 divisions. I count 12 smaller families that also cast lots to be joined with their brothers within the 24. I don't see where you are getting and additional 24 Levitical heads? Two separate groups? Maybe I misunderstood. Levites and priests are one and the same as I understand it. All sons of Levi.
    David separated out leading sons from among Aaron's sons, Eleazar and Ithamar. Aaron's other two sons, Nadab and Abihu had died, leaving no sons. So these were just the sons of Eleazar and Ithamar. David used one son of Eleazar, Zadok, and one son of Ithamar, Ahimelek, to produce divisions from all of the sons of Eleazar and Ithamar. They cast lots to designate 16 leaders from Eleazar and 8 leaders from Ithamar, 24 total leaders from among the sons of Aaron designated leading priests.

Aaron's descendants were the priests, who served in the temple, whereas the Levites were tasked with aiding the priests in various ways. 24 chosen leaders among Aaron's sons are listed in vss. 7-18.

Then in vss. 20-30 24 more leaders were chosen from the Levites. In vss. 30-31 it is explained that the leaders from the Levites were chosen in the same way that the leaders of Aaron's descendants were.

You can clearly see the distinction between the priests, the sons of Aaron, and the Levites, in various passages. 1 Chron 15, the carrying up of the ark, 1 Chron 23, a description of the Levitical service, 2 Chron 5-8, a bringing up of the ark under Solomon and the dedication of the temple, and there are a number of other places you can read of the priests and Levites under King Jehoshaphat (2 Chron 19), King Hezekiah (2 Chron 31), and King Josiah (2 Chron 35).

It is very clear that there is an estabished distinction between these 24 heads from among the priests, Aaron's sons, and the 24 heads from among the Levites. Frequently the Scriptures refer to these groups as "priests and Levites."

I will try to comment more later, when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    12 apostles + 12 heads of the tribes of Israel =24
    This is my interpretation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Durantony View Post
    This is my interpretation as well.
    12 + 12 equals 24, no doubt. It's a reasonable guess that that's where the 24 elders came from. But there are problems with it, and that's why I've looked elsewhere, together with my brother. We do have the 12 apostles and the 12 tribes in the book of Revelation and in the New Jerusalem. On the other hand I can't see a fill in apostle and some of the carnal-minded heads of the 12 tribes standing before the throne of God, representing everybody else!

That's why I prefer to see the 12 apostles and the 12 tribes as being patterned after a heavenly reality, just as the tabernacle itself was patterned after a heavenly reality. These 24 elders, though they sound like human "elders," may actually be angelic "elders." They may be leading angels, or archangels.

The worship around the throne of God in heaven must certainly have been similar to what David set up around the temple, with 24 priests descended from Aaron, and 24 priests representing Levitical heads. And the worship in heaven is centered in the throne room of God, just like the priests and Levites were arranged to worship around the ark of God in the temple of God. This was God's "throne room" on earth.

David separated out leading sons from among Aaron's sons, Eleazar and Ithamar. Aaron's other two sons, Nadab and Abihu had died, leaving no sons. So these were just the sons of Eleazar and Ithamar. David used one son of Eleazar, Zadok, and one son of Ithamar, Ahimelek, to produce divisions from all of the sons of Eleazar and Ithamar. They cast lots to designate 16 leaders from Eleazar and 8 leaders from Ithamar, 24 total leaders from among the sons of Aaron designated leading priests.

Aaron's descendants were the priests, who served in the temple, whereas the Levites were tasked with aiding the priests in various ways. 24 chosen leaders among Aaron's sons are listed in vss. 7-18.

Then in vss. 20-30 24 more leaders were chosen from the Levites. In vss. 30-31 it is explained that the leaders from the Levites were chosen in the same way that the leaders of Aaron's descendants were.

You can clearly see the distinction between the priests, the sons of Aaron, and the Levites, in various passages. 1 Chron 15, the carrying up of the ark, 1 Chron 23, a description of the Levitical service, 2 Chron 5-8, a bringing up of the ark under Solomon and the dedication of the temple, and there are a number of other places you can read of the priests and Levites under King Jehoshaphat (2 Chron 19), King Hezekiah (2 Chron 31), and King Josiah (2 Chron 35).

It is very clear that there is an estabished distinction between these 24 heads from among the priests, Aaron's sons, and the 24 heads from among the Levites. Frequently the Scriptures refer to these groups as "priests and Levites."

I will try to comment more later, when I have time.
    I get it now, thanks. I do see what you are talking about. Aaron was the fourth generations after Levi. The priests came from Aaron alone while others within Levi were the Levites. It is simple and I am surprised I didn't understand that before.

As to the Levites, I only count 7. How do you get 24?

1 Chron 24:20 And the rest of the sons of Levi: of the sons of Amram, Shubael; of the sons of Shubael, Jehdeiah. 21 Concerning Rehabiah, of the sons of Rehabiah, the first was Isshiah. 22 Of the Izharites, Shelomoth; of the sons of Shelomoth, Jahath. 23 Of the sons of Hebron, Jeriah was the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third, and Jekameam the fourth. 24 Of the sons of Uzziel, Michah; of the sons of Michah, Shamir. 25 The brother of Michah, Isshiah; of the sons of Isshiah, Zechariah. 26 The sons of Merari were Mahli and Mushi; the son of Jaaziah, Beno. 27 The sons of Merari by Jaaziah were Beno, Shoham, Zaccur, and Ibri. 28 Of Mahli: Eleazar, who had no sons. 29 Of Kish: the son of Kish, Jerahmeel.

30 Also the sons of Mushi were Mahli, Eder, and Jerimoth. These were the sons of the Levites according to their fathers’ houses.

Levi had three sons. This group did cast lots also and may have been separated into 24 orders in some way. I'm not sure. Anyway, what do you make of this additional group of Levites as it relates to the 24 elders in Rev?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    I get it now, thanks. I do see what you are talking about. Aaron was the fourth generations after Levi. The priests came from Aaron alone while others within Levi were the Levites. It is simple and I am surprised I didn't understand that before.
    I was very late in life getting that too. Embarrassed to say, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P
    As to the Levites, I only count 7. How do you get 24?
    I'll give you the benefit of my version:

20 As for the rest of the descendants of Levi:

from the sons of Amram: Shubael;

from the sons of Shubael: Jehdeiah.

21 As for Rehabiah, from his sons:

Ishiah was the first.

22 From the Izharites: Shelomoth;

from the sons of Shelomoth: Jahath.

23 The sons of Hebron: Jeriah the first, Amariah the second, Jahaziel the third and Jekameam the fourth.

24 The son of Uzziel: Micah;

from the sons of Micah: Shamir.

25 The brother of Micah: Ishiah;

from the sons of Ishiah: Zechariah.

26 The sons of Merari: Mahli and Mushi.

The son of Jaaziah: Beno.

27 The sons of Merari:

from Jaaziah: Beno, Shoham, Zakkur and Ibri.

28 From Mahli: Eleazar, who had no sons.

29 From Kish: the son of Kish:

Jerahmeel.

30 And the sons of Mushi: Mahli, Eder and Jerimoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P
    Levi had three sons. This group did cast lots also and may have been separated into 24 orders in some way. I'm not sure. Anyway, what do you make of this additional group of Levites as it relates to the 24 elders in Rev?
    I think--and it's pure speculation--that somehow the two sets of 24 priests and elders are somehow combined into a single set of 24 in heaven. That is, in heaven, the dual ministry of priest and Levite are joined into one, a single leading angel representing both priestly and Levitical duties. After all, it is a different kind of priesthood entirely, completely excluding things like animal sacrifices, carrying tents, etc. The priesthood in heaven consists of praise in the presence of God, again ensuring that God is fully buffered against rebellion.

It should be noted that a major duty of the Levites was to be both musical and prophetic. Similarly, these 24 elders oversee some amazing praise in heaven.

Rev 4.9 Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10 the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:

11 “You are worthy, our Lord and God,
    to receive glory and honor and power,
    for you created all things,
    and by your will they were created
    and have their being.”

Rev 5.7 He went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. 8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

“You are worthy to take the scroll
    and to open its seals,
    because you were slain,
    and with your blood you purchased for God
    persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.
    10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
    and they will reign on the earth.”
    11 Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12 In a loud voice they were saying:

“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
    to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
    and honor and glory and praise!”
    13 Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying:

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
    be praise and honor and glory and power,
    for ever and ever!”
    14 The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.

I might add this, and I certainly owe my brother credit on this as well. These 24 elders may be viewed as "elders" because like the 24 leaders among the priests and among the Levites "elders" can be viewed as leaders. And you will notice that they "cast their crowns before the throne." That may indicate leadership as well, the fact that they had "crowns." And so, it seems they rule in the presence of divine authority.

You will notice that these 24 elders acknowledge the priesthood of man upon the earth in the new Kingdom of God. As such, it appears to me that these "priests of heaven" have in a sense conferred authority upon their counterparts on earth, the earthly priesthood of Christian leadership. See Rev 5.10.

Heb 7:1-3 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

There are 24 orders, 1 order or group under each elder. As opposed to the Levites, who were only priests, each of these are both kings and priests. I believe we will serve in one of the orders in heaven under one of the 24 elders of which only Melchisedec is named.

Rev. 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by 6paths View Post
    Heb 7:1-3 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

There are 24 orders, 1 order or group under each elder. As opposed to the Levites, who were only priests, each of these are both kings and priests. I believe we will serve in one of the orders in heaven under one of the 24 elders of which only Melchisedec is named.

Rev. 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
    I appreciate the fact there are dual roles for the Church in the future Kingdom--kings and priests. In the past Israel had kings, and Christian nations had kings. But the kings in the future may be in the Millennial Age--I don't know. And our "priesthood" will certainly be different from the priests and Levites of the Law. The Levites, by the way, can be distinguished from the Aaronic priests.

I don't see Melchizedek as anybody other than the great historic King of Salem, who Abraham deferred to in the matter of paying tithes though him to God. He had a unique priesthood, and was both a king and a priest. As such he was a prototype of Christ, who also is both King and Priest.

I'm aware that the "priesthood of all believers" is commonly taught in Protestant circles. I was taught that too. However, it may simply be that the Church will, in the future, appoint from their own kings and priests, albeit under a New Testament code. We will, I think, have Christian nations in the Millennium. And there will have to be kings over those nations. In a very real sense, then, we will rule through our own Christian leadership as a collective entity, the Body of Christ.

I appreciate the fact there are dual roles for the Church in the future Kingdom--kings and priests. In the past Israel had kings, and Christian nations had kings. But the kings in the future may be in the Millennial Age--I don't know. And our "priesthood" will certainly be different from the priests and Levites of the Law. The Levites, by the way, can be distinguished from the Aaronic priests.
    The priesthood of Melchizedek was certainly different than the priesthood of the Levites because Levites could not be kings, and kings could not be priests. There is not a lot of evidence on any side of this topic, but it seems Melchizedek had eternal life, not limited to the time of Abraham.

Quote Originally Posted by 6paths View Post
    The priesthood of Melchizedek was certainly different than the priesthood of the Levites because Levites could not be kings, and kings could not be priests. There is not a lot of evidence on any side of this topic, but it seems Melchizedek had eternal life, not limited to the time of Abraham.
    That was, I believe, the language of rhetoric. The author of Hebrews was arguing the case for Melchizedek being a prototype of a different kind of priesthood, ie what we now know as Christ's priesthood. Christ's priesthood is utterly unlike the Aaronic priesthood and the Levitical priesthood, which paid tithes through Abraham to Melchizedek. In other words, Melchizedek's priesthood was greater than Aaron's priesthood!

There is nothing in here about a supernatural Melchizedek. This is just a language barrier--something I've heard for years. Most scholars, I should think, would dismiss any notion of a transcendent Melchizedek. He was an historical figure, and an earthly ruler. His geneology was unnecessary for his priesthood--unlike the Aaronic and Levitical priesthoods. Thus, he appeared to have been a priesthood without beginning, ie without a geneological beginning.

Thanks for your insight.

Thread Information