Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age of Accountability

Re: Age of Accountability

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    I'm glad you don't mind answering my questions, I have asked many here and think people tire of them. �� I don't want to be a pest. lol

I was curious to know if someone would say there isn't an age, maybe it's one of those Christianese words that people like to use.

I am asking these questions not only for new knowledge but I started worrying that maybe I am being held accountable for things that I don't know I am doing. lol

Predestination, imo, would take the pressure off if one believed that way.

Degrees of punishment in hell makes sense seems how there are different rewards or not in heaven.

Thank you.
    No, your questions should be very welcome. I don't envy the mods, however, since they have to be on the watch for "leading questions" designed by true pests. You don't appear to be one!

Yes, the "Age of Accountability" appears to be a standard response by Arminian-type Christians who fear serious punishment awaits the innocent, simply because they *don't yet know Jesus!* What if a child dies, never having heard the gospel, and ends up in the "burning flames" of Hell?

Well, some Christians just cop out and say all children go to heaven, period. They tend to say there is an Age of Accountability, after which people might actually go to Hell.

As a Predestinarian I take comfort in a God who doesn't strike at us when we're least prepared and least equipped to handle important decisions with eternal consequences. God doesn't wait for me to slip up and backslide for a day in order to pounce on me and send me to Hell! Neither do I think that because I'm saved for all time that I can rest on my laurels, backslide here and there, and always come back to the altar for a refreshing!

What makes most sense to me is that God is a just Judge, and judges people on the Big Picture. If children are innocent He judges them that way. If we make bad decisions with their eyes wide open He judges us on that basis. And it doesn't matter how good we've been throughout our lives, if we ignore God's guiding Spirit on important matters, we will pay stiff consequences--saved or not. For example, if we feel we need to indulge ourselves on an occasion with a loud public outburst, and completely ignore our internal warning, there will be consequences. We will be forgiven, but the process will be hard.

So, whether you're Predestinarian or not, what matters here is that you know God is a just Judge and a loving God. He is very merciful, but neither does He countenance manipulation and rationalization on our part. If we ignore His explicit warning not to throw tantrums we will pay a heavy price. This alone will either stop or change us. Believe me, I know!!

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    No, your questions should be very welcome. I don't envy the mods, however, since they have to be on the watch for "leading questions" designed by true pests. You don't appear to be one!

Yes, the "Age of Accountability" appears to be a standard response by Arminian-type Christians who fear serious punishment awaits the innocent, simply because they *don't yet know Jesus!* What if a child dies, never having heard the gospel, and ends up in the "burning flames" of Hell?

Well, some Christians just cop out and say all children go to heaven, period. They tend to say there is an Age of Accountability, after which people might actually go to Hell.

As a Predestinarian I take comfort in a God who doesn't strike at us when we're least prepared and least equipped to handle important decisions with eternal consequences. God doesn't wait for me to slip up and backslide for a day in order to pounce on me and send me to Hell! Neither do I think that because I'm saved for all time that I can rest on my laurels, backslide here and there, and always come back to the altar for a refreshing!

What makes most sense to me is that God is a just Judge, and judges people on the Big Picture. If children are innocent He judges them that way. If we make bad decisions with their eyes wide open He judges us on that basis. And it doesn't matter how good we've been throughout our lives, if we ignore God's guiding Spirit on important matters, we will pay stiff consequences--saved or not. For example, if we feel we need to indulge ourselves on an occasion with a loud public outburst, and completely ignore our internal warning, there will be consequences. We will be forgiven, but the process will be hard.

So, whether you're Predestinarian or not, what matters here is that you know God is a just Judge and a loving God. He is very merciful, but neither does He countenance manipulation and rationalization on our part. If we ignore His explicit warning not to throw tantrums we will pay a heavy price. This alone will either stop or change us. Believe me, I know!!
    It makes sense that God isn't waiting for us to mess up just so he can punish us. He is for us, not against us.

In my limited experience, God doesn't let me get away with stuff. If there is something hanging over my head, I have to fix it otherwise I can't move forward.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Is there a certain age of accountability? And what exactly does that accountability include? Are there things we would be accountable for at the age of 12 but more at the age of 16, or is a person even accountable at all until they are 18? Is 18 sort of the age man said we are now adults or is this a Biblical age where a person is an adult?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.
    You have a lot of questions on your mind, good ones.

For what it's worth, the age of accountability in the Bible appears to be 20 years old, based on God's curses on the Israelites in the desert. The age of maturity for purpose of leadership is 30 years old, based on the priestly rules of service. (Jesus began his ministry as at 30, I suppose because that age signifies a mature man, such as to be offered the general respect of being a fully grown, fully wise man in both appearance and experience.

Science actually agrees with this. The human brain does not fully develop until 20 years old. Executive functioning is not at full capacity until then. Likewise, the body is not sexually mature in either men or women, until after 20.

21 years is about the right age to be considered fully grown.

So I think it is obviously with knowledge of the human body, brain, and development, that God determined the ages at which we would be considered to be fully responsible for our own decisions. Kids make stupid decisions because they cannot always reason out the consequences of their actions, they take risks that aren't good risks, and react badly as if they are unlucky if things don't turn out right.
    As the "thief" in the night, Christ is going to suddenly appear on the throne of Israel - not the antichrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aijalon View Post
    You have a lot of questions on your mind, good ones.

For what it's worth, the age of accountability in the Bible appears to be 20 years old, based on God's curses on the Israelites in the desert. The age of maturity for purpose of leadership is 30 years old, based on the priestly rules of service. (Jesus began his ministry as at 30, I suppose because that age signifies a mature man, such as to be offered the general respect of being a fully grown, fully wise man in both appearance and experience.

Science actually agrees with this. The human brain does not fully develop until 20 years old. Executive functioning is not at full capacity until then. Likewise, the body is not sexually mature in either men or women, until after 20.

21 years is about the right age to be considered fully grown.

So I think it is obviously with knowledge of the human body, brain, and development, that God determined the ages at which we would be considered to be fully responsible for our own decisions. Kids make stupid decisions because they cannot always reason out the consequences of their actions, they take risks that aren't good risks, and react badly as if they are unlucky if things don't turn out right.
    Thank you for the information. ☺

Adam and Eve were innocent until their eyes were opened by eating from the tree of knowledge good and evil. They weren't accountable for being naked till their eyes were opened.

When Israel refused to go into the land, all under 18 were held guiltless of the sin of unbelief/fear. They were able to go in later even though the rest died.

David seemed convinced that His child went to heaven (at least that is the way I read it).

1 Cor. 7 speaks about the children being sanctified if their parents are saved. But it also says the same thing of the unmarried spouse so that gets a little confusing to me.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Adam and Eve were innocent until their eyes were opened by eating from the tree of knowledge good and evil. They weren't accountable for being naked till their eyes were opened.

When Israel refused to go into the land, all under 18 were held guiltless of the sin of unbelief/fear. They were able to go in later even though the rest died.

David seemed convinced that His child went to heaven (at least that is the way I read it).

1 Cor. 7 speaks about the children being sanctified if their parents are saved. But it also says the same thing of the unmarried spouse so that gets a little confusing to me.
    True about Adam and Eve even though they were held accountable for their actions. I think they had it worse as far as being held accountable too because, I couod be wrong, but I was thinking they were more intelligent than we are today. They had no outside influence, they were pure in all ways, perfect. Due to this purity, tpAdam really had no excuse at all for what he did.

Does that make sense and would you agree?

True about Adam and Eve even though they were held accountable for their actions. I think they had it worse as far as being held accountable too because, I couod be wrong, but I was thinking they were more intelligent than we are today. They had no outside influence, they were pure in all ways, perfect. Due to this purity, tpAdam really had no excuse at all for what he did.

Does that make sense and would you agree?
    Yes, I agree. But keep in mind, they knew about the Tree and not eating it. They didn't know about being naked till after eating it and only then did God deal with their nakedness. They were accountable for what they knew. And that is what we are generally judged on before the Lord.

Can you imagine how they felt in their emotions... to experience God that way then to lose it? Oh the regret! But Eve had faith in what God had promised her.

The age thing is a difficult thing to process through in scriptures. Its not an easy study no matter what our core beliefs are...
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

We have models for this in scripture.. before we were introduced to commentaries and such that's all we had/have to go on.. i found one in the Old Testament and one in the New..

Exodus 12:12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

I Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

According to scripture the parents have the responsibility to see that their children go to heaven.. In this verse from Corinthians we see that children are unclean.. shall any unclean thing stand in Gods presence?

There is only one thing that cleanses man from sin.. the blood of Christ Jesus..

Jude
    II Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Yes, I agree. But keep in mind, they knew about the Tree and not eating it. They didn't know about being naked till after eating it and only then did God deal with their nakedness. They were accountable for what they knew. And that is what we are generally judged on before the Lord.

Can you imagine how they felt in their emotions... to experience God that way then to lose it? Oh the regret! But Eve had faith in what God had promised her.

The age thing is a difficult thing to process through in scriptures. Its not an easy study no matter what our core beliefs are...
    That's true, good point. I wondered about how devastated they must have been. They experienced a heaven like garden, only to lose it all in one bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    We have models for this in scripture.. before we were introduced to commentaries and such that's all we had/have to go on.. i found one in the Old Testament and one in the New..

Exodus 12:12 For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

I Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

According to scripture the parents have the responsibility to see that their children go to heaven.. In this verse from Corinthians we see that children are unclean.. shall any unclean thing stand in Gods presence?

There is only one thing that cleanses man from sin.. the blood of Christ Jesus..

Jude
    Awesome, thanks, Jude.

Is there a certain age of accountability? And what exactly does that accountability include? Are there things we would be accountable for at the age of 12 but more at the age of 16, or is a person even accountable at all until they are 18? Is 18 sort of the age man said we are now adults or is this a Biblical age where a person is an adult?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.
    Actually, I've not replied to scare you, but i can tell you that CHILlDREN GO TO HELL too.

I read a testimony of a girl of whom the Lord took her through hell to see that hell exist and then return to tell us what she had encountered, including her visit to heaven and her God-given revelations of the rapture and great rribulation.
    16. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    18. Wherefore comfort one another with this word. (1Thessalonians4:16-18)

my worst fears in life is missing the Kingdom of God

Quote Originally Posted by Iam_Joshua View Post
    Actually, I've not replied to scare you, but i can tell you that CHILlDREN GO TO HELL too.

I read a testimony of a girl of whom the Lord took her through hell to see that hell exist and then return to tell us what she had encountered, including her visit to heaven and her God-given revelations of the rapture and great rribulation.
    I'm not worried, I have no doubts about my salvation.

i'm glad to know.
    16. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    18. Wherefore comfort one another with this word. (1Thessalonians4:16-18)

my worst fears in life is missing the Kingdom of God

This is the exact point that came to mind when I read the OP. I agree.

Israel's lack of faith after being delivered was held only against those 20 and older. Every adult perished in their unbelief except Joshua and Caleb. The younger generation grew up and they were the ones to enter the promised land.

Further, as I understand it, Zechariah 12-14 is a single narritive about the last days of Israel. This passage is just after they "look upon the one they pierced." Though it is usually recognized as being about Jesus 2000 years ago, I think it has another meaning in the end. This is about the rapture and wrath of the Lamb.

Zechariah 13:7 “Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, Against the Man who is My Companion,”
    Says the Lord of hosts. “Strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered; Then I will turn My hand against the little ones. 8 And it shall come to pass in all the land,” Says the Lord, “That two-thirds in it shall be cut off and die, But one–third shall be left in it: 9 I will bring the one–third through the fire, Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them. I will say, ‘This is My people’; And each one will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”

The leaders of Israel are struck first followed by Jesus turning His hand against the little ones, the children. Jesus is saving the children from the wicked time ahead, not harming them. Point of view makes all the difference here. The age of the "little ones" isn't really explained, but it does show there is some sort of free pass period for children.

Thread Information