Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Accountability

Age of Accountability

Is there a certain age of accountability? And what exactly does that accountability include? Are there things we would be accountable for at the age of 12 but more at the age of 16, or is a person even accountable at all until they are 18? Is 18 sort of the age man said we are now adults or is this a Biblical age where a person is an adult?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Re: Age of Accountability

I think its different for every person and every set of circumstances, & only God knows for sure where this supposed "line" is...

With that said, it should not stop us from teaching truth at every turn, ( especially the young ) no matter what age or circumstances.

I can't imagine an actual "age"..that covers all...
    True Truth Exists & Can Be Found.

A gentle answer turns away wrath; but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    Proverbs 15:1

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Is there a certain age of accountability? And what exactly does that accountability include? Are there things we would be accountable for at the age of 12 but more at the age of 16, or is a person even accountable at all until they are 18? Is 18 sort of the age man said we are now adults or is this a Biblical age where a person is an adult?

Thanks.
    I don't think you should apologize for asking questions. Guys like me love trying to answer them! Somebody has to ask them! And we've all had them, and still do. It's a skill to be able to ask them.

This is one of those troublesome answers that ignite different views on controversial subjects like Predestination. I am, in fact, a Predestinarian, and my answer is colored by that.

I believe the full and exact number of God's elect were determined before the creation of the world. God did not, I think, predetermine man to fall, nor to be lost. However, God certainly was not taken by surprise when men fell, and He certainly had in place a system to remedy this process. Unfortunately, part of this remedy involves lost children as well. They were never planned by God. They are the product of compromised parents or ancestors, who began a process or sequence that led to their birth.

That being said, God is not unjust. He doesn't punish people for things they don't do. So if children die in infancy they will not have much to be punished for. We tend to place things in two categories--a medieval Hell or a blissful Heaven. But in reality, I think Hell contains both severe and mild punishments. And Heaven probably has a very broad range of eternal rewards for God's children, depending on choices they make in this life.

I think children, therefore, must meet an eternal fate, no matter what their age. As far as I know unborn children may have an eternal fate as well? However, the older a child gets the more responsible they become for the decisions they make. For example, a child may be somewhat rebellious by nature, but cannot be held very responsible for rebellious choices made at a very early age.

However, as the child ages, that rebellious temperament could cause the child to make terrible decisions that merit severe punishments in the life to come. That's why the Scriptures say that for some it would've been better had they not been born, or had they died as infants.

Generally the age of accountability doesn't exist. We all know that small children cannot be held responsible for many things, and that teenagers can be accountable for making more "adult" decisions. However, full maturity generates the capacity for making decisions with our "eyes wide open." That is, we become fully responsible, and thus fully accountable. Even then there are causes that can make a person less responsible at any age, due to things like interferences, duress, and disability.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I don't think you should apologize for asking questions. Guys like me love trying to answer them! Somebody has to ask them! And we've all had them, and still do. It's a skill to be able to ask them.

This is one of those troublesome answers that ignite different views on controversial subjects like Predestination. I am, in fact, a Predestinarian, and my answer is colored by that.

I believe the full and exact number of God's elect were determined before the creation of the world. God did not, I think, predetermine man to fall, nor to be lost. However, God certainly was not taken by surprise when men fell, and He certainly had in place a system to remedy this process. Unfortunately, part of this remedy involves lost children as well. They were never planned by God. They are the product of compromised parents or ancestors, who began a process or sequence that led to their birth.

That being said, God is not unjust. He doesn't punish people for things they don't do. So if children die in infancy they will not have much to be punished for. We tend to place things in two categories--a medieval Hell or a blissful Heaven. But in reality, I think Hell contains both severe and mild punishments. And Heaven probably has a very broad range of eternal rewards for God's children, depending on choices they make in this life.

I think children, therefore, must meet an eternal fate, no matter what their age. As far as I know unborn children may have an eternal fate as well? However, the older a child gets the more responsible they become for the decisions they make. For example, a child may be somewhat rebellious by nature, but cannot be held very responsible for rebellious choices made at a very early age.

However, as the child ages, that rebellious temperament could cause the child to make terrible decisions that merit severe punishments in the life to come. That's why the Scriptures say that for some it would've been better had they not been born, or had they died as infants.

Generally the age of accountability doesn't exist. We all know that small children cannot be held responsible for many things, and that teenagers can be accountable for making more "adult" decisions. However, full mature generates the capacity for making decisions with our "eyes wide open." That is, we become fully responsible, and thus fully accountable. Even then there are causes that can make a person less responsible at any age, due to things like interferences, duress, and disability.

I like this answer RandyK

As a Father, I have seen the rebellious nature of my kids from even a very early age, which gives weight to our fallen nature at birth. God is Just, it will be what it should be.

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    I think its different for every person and every set of circumstances, & only God knows for sure where this supposed "line" is...

With that said, it should not stop us from teaching truth at every turn, ( especially the young ) no matter what age or circumstances.

I can't imagine an actual "age"..that covers all...
    That's a good way to put it - an age that covers all.

If a younger person knows not to do something, if they did it, they are accountable, but what if the same young person did something they didn't know was wrong, would they still be accountable? That is what I started thinking about today.

So as far as you know there isn't a set age.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post

Generally the age of accountability doesn't exist. We all know that small children cannot be held responsible for many things, and that teenagers can be accountable for making more "adult" decisions. However, full mature generates the capacity for making decisions with our "eyes wide open." That is, we become fully responsible, and thus fully accountable. Even then there are causes that can make a person less responsible at any age, due to things like interferences, duress, and disability.
    I'm glad you don't mind answering my questions, I have asked many here and think people tire of them. �� I don't want to be a pest. lol

I was curious to know if someone would say there isn't an age, maybe it's one of those Christianese words that people like to use.

I am asking these questions not only for new knowledge but I started worrying that maybe I am being held accountable for things that I don't know I am doing. lol

Predestination, imo, would take the pressure off if one believed that way.

Degrees of punishment in hell makes sense seems how there are different rewards or not in heaven.

Thank you.

I would not call it an age of accountability, but a time of accountability. It's different with each person.

Blog Entries

That's a good way to put it - an age that covers all.

If a younger person knows not to do something, if they did it, they are accountable, but what if the same young person did something they didn't know was wrong, would they still be accountable? That is what I started thinking about today.

So as far as you know there isn't a set age.

Thank you.
    Well, we must keep in mind that we are all guilty before God, regardless if we know it or not. We all fall short of the mark, from Gods perspective. ( Romans 3:23 )

Who God chooses to give Grace to depending on an 'age issue' is a mystery. My gut tells me do not rely on this as an excuse ( not that you are ) and we should treat each soul as something to intensely help to see the Gospel. Even children can see the Gospel.

As Randy stated, we love your open heart and seeking questions!

Faith-Hope-LOVE

~Praying for BDH~

Quote Originally Posted by ChangedByHim View Post
    I would not call it an age of accountability, but a time of accountability. It's different with each person.
    Thank you.
    This might be pushing it, but do those times vary depending on maturity and knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post
    Well, we must keep in mind that we are all guilty before God, regardless if we know it or not. We all fall short of the mark, from Gods perspective. ( Romans 3:23 )

Who God chooses to give Grace to depending on an 'age issue' is a mystery. My gut tells me do not rely on this as an excuse ( not that you are ) and we should treat each soul as something to intensely help to see the Gospel. Even children can see the Gospel.

As Randy stated, we love your open heart and seeking questions!
    It's a very good point about God giving his grace as a mystery. He also shows mercy to those he chooses to show mercy, so does this mean God gives a break to some and not to others?

Another verse that comes to mind is "for those given much, much is required", if a young person has a lot of knowledge then, according to this passage, they would be held more accountable or does this verse refer to something else?

Is there a certain age of accountability?
    Sure. When a child is no longer a "little child", which could be anywhere from 5 to 15.

Thank you.
    This might be pushing it, but do those times vary depending on maturity and knowledge?
    I'm sure that those, and several other variables, come into play.

Thanks.
    If you go by scripture, the Lord uses the age twenty and upward, for offerings and going to war.

Exodus 30:14 Every one that passeth among them that are numbered, from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering unto the LORD.

Numbers 1:3 From twenty years old and upward, all that are able to go forth to war in Israel: thou and Aaron shall number them by their armies.

Quote Originally Posted by kyCyd View Post
    If you go by scripture, the Lord uses the age twenty and upward, for offerings and going to war.

Exodus 30:14 Every one that passeth among them that are numbered, from twenty years old and above, shall give an offering unto the LORD.

Numbers 1:3 From twenty years old and upward, all that are able to go forth to war in Israel: thou and Aaron shall number them by their armies.
    I have read that, I questioned that age because even by then we should know right from wrong.
    Thsnks.

Blog Entries

What is the age of accountability of a Down's Syndrome child?

God knows. We don't.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Thread Information