Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    107

    Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    Parasha: Ekev (as a result)


    DEUT: 7:12-11:25…………………ISA 49:14-51:3…………JOHN 7:1-8:59


    …..Moshe starts out reminding and giving “Am Israel” assurance that “because ye harken unto these ordinances and keep them, and do them…YHVH shall keep with thee the covenant…..He starts out on a positive note, however, we know that history reveals that Israel did NOT keep the covenant, but broke the covenant, and went after strange gods, idolatry, etc. Perhaps this was an incentive to obey, and they would reap the blessings of obedience…IF…they would obey.
    …..This can remind us of a father who promises his son that if the son would obey the rules of the house, do his homework on time, help take out the garbage, clean the bathroom, help mom with the dishes…THEN…the father would take the son camping during the summer. It is all about “rewards” for “obedience”
    …..Is this any different for us? I would say not. Rewards for obedience has nothing to do with our salvation experience. Our salvation is based on FAITH and FAITH ONLY, and not on our obedience to mitzvoth, yet obedience to the Torah comes as a result of our relationship with Yeshua HaMashiach. Even he said; “If you love me, obey my commandments. Yes, he gave some new ones unlike those written down by Moshe, who received them from G-d on Mt. Sinai. Yet even back then, Yeshua was with the Father during the giving of the Ten Commandments, and later, the rest of the 603 that were given during the 40 day period of being with God on Har Sinai. So, did Yeshua give us ALL the mitzvoth? I would have to say YES.
    …..An interesting verse is 8:1 “All the COMMANDMENT which I command thee this day shall yet observe to do, the ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land…..” in the Hebrew it is “Kol ha Mitzvah” it is written in the singular and not in the plural! But shouldn’t it be “mitzvoth” (commandments)? One would think so, but it IS in the SINGULAR, but why? The sages comment that all the commandments can be summed up into ONE commandment; “Love YHVH thy God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might, and strength” and when we do love Adonai in this way, we will follow all the rest of the commandments, including loving our neighbor as ourselves.
    …..Chap 9:4….Moshe reminds the people that it isn’t because they are a “righteous” nation that God is allowing Am Israel to move into the land Canaan, conquer the pagan inhabitants and take possession, rather it is because of those nations’ “unrighteousness” and “wickedness” that is the reason. Just like the time of the flood, the wicked world was destroyed and Noach and his family were saved, yet Noach had his problems too, his righteousness had flaws too, just like ALL of us. Our holiness is full of “holes”, and our salvation is because our God is a merciful God and he just chose to love us, just because HE is a LOVING and MERCIFUL GOD, and not that we deserve salvation. We can also state that the land of Canaan was being given to the Israelites because of the promise that YHVH made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob too. YHVH never breaks his promises.
    …..Chap 11, Moshe gives an order; “Therefore, thou shall love YHVH thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his ordinances and his commandments ALWAYS! Moshe cannot say this enough, like a father tells his children, “obey the rules, obey the rules, obey the rules” it is for their own good. Unfortunately, the admonition of obedience for many people goes in one ear and out the other.
    …..Let us go forth with a renewed heart, and show our love to God, by learning and obeying his Torah, of course we cannot be Torah observant 100% , but through the power of the Ruach HaKodesh, we can be obedient sons and daughters of Adonai El Elyon, and live a lifestyle that honors HIM.

    ISAIAH 49:14-51:3

    ….Israel cries out “The LORD hath forsaken me and forgotten me” but the prophet through the Holy Spirit assures the people, NO, the LORD has NOT forsaken you. There is a big difference between, “abandonment, forgetfulness, and chastisement”. The fact that YHVH has punished his people does not mean that He has abandoned Israel. When a father chastises his son or daughter, does that mean he no longer loves him or her? Does he cast them out of the house? Or say, “you are no longer my son, or daughter?” No, of course not, Scripture tells us that a father who loves his children, will discipline them. We can say the same with YHVH and “Am Israel” He loves his people, and so, HE will discipline them. Yes, he cast them out of the land, but in goyim lands, they continued to live and spread the teaching of the ONE GOD (Echad) who is Adonai-Elohim-Yeshuah. We are loved by our heavenly father, even when it hurts

    JOHN 7:1-8:59

    …..Some are a bit confused when Yeshua says to his brothers, “You guys go up to Yerushalayim to Sukkot, I will not YET go up. He did NOT LIE, (as some critics try to say). He was planning to go up, but not at that time. Remember that the celebration of Sukkot (Tabernacles) is a 7 day celebration, culminating on the 8th day, “Hoshannah Raba” it is possible that his brothers and his talmidim went during the beginning of the festivities, and Yeshua waited until the end, the 8th day.
    …..It was on the 8th day that the priests brought up water from the pool of Siloam, and Yeshua took this opportunity to say to the people; “If anyone is thirsty, let him keep coming to me and drink, whoever puts his trust in me, as the scripture says, rivers of living water will flow from his inmost being”
    …..We can remember the time when “B’nei Israel” (the children of Israel) were in the desert, and they got water from a ROCK. The ROCK symbolizes Yeshua, who is the ROCK of ages and the LIVING water. Water flowed from the rock so that the Israelites and the cattle could drink as much as they wanted.
    …..The water that Yeshua talks about is our inner life through a renewed spirit, Remember that He also told the woman of Samaria the same thing. It was to her that he revealed himself as Mashiach openly. So, when we read the WORD of God, listen to music that praises HIM, we are receiving “living water”


    Shabbat Shalom……..Rabbi Ben Avraham

  2. #2

    Re: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    Quote Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
    Parasha: Ekev (as a result)


    DEUT: 7:12-11:25…………………ISA 49:14-51:3…………JOHN 7:1-8:59


    …..Moshe starts out reminding and giving “Am Israel” assurance that “because ye harken unto these ordinances and keep them, and do them…YHVH shall keep with thee the covenant…..He starts out on a positive note, however, we know that history reveals that Israel did NOT keep the covenant, but broke the covenant, and went after strange gods, idolatry, etc. Perhaps this was an incentive to obey, and they would reap the blessings of obedience…IF…they would obey.
    …..This can remind us of a father who promises his son that if the son would obey the rules of the house, do his homework on time, help take out the garbage, clean the bathroom, help mom with the dishes…THEN…the father would take the son camping during the summer. It is all about “rewards” for “obedience”
    …..Is this any different for us? I would say not. Rewards for obedience has nothing to do with our salvation experience. Our salvation is based on FAITH and FAITH ONLY, and not on our obedience to mitzvoth, yet obedience to the Torah comes as a result of our relationship with Yeshua HaMashiach. Even he said; “If you love me, obey my commandments. Yes, he gave some new ones unlike those written down by Moshe, who received them from G-d on Mt. Sinai. Yet even back then, Yeshua was with the Father during the giving of the Ten Commandments, and later, the rest of the 603 that were given during the 40 day period of being with God on Har Sinai. So, did Yeshua give us ALL the mitzvoth? I would have to say YES.
    …..An interesting verse is 8:1 “All the COMMANDMENT which I command thee this day shall yet observe to do, the ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land…..” in the Hebrew it is “Kol ha Mitzvah” it is written in the singular and not in the plural! But shouldn’t it be “mitzvoth” (commandments)? One would think so, but it IS in the SINGULAR, but why? The sages comment that all the commandments can be summed up into ONE commandment; “Love YHVH thy God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your might, and strength” and when we do love Adonai in this way, we will follow all the rest of the commandments, including loving our neighbor as ourselves.
    …..Chap 9:4….Moshe reminds the people that it isn’t because they are a “righteous” nation that God is allowing Am Israel to move into the land Canaan, conquer the pagan inhabitants and take possession, rather it is because of those nations’ “unrighteousness” and “wickedness” that is the reason. Just like the time of the flood, the wicked world was destroyed and Noach and his family were saved, yet Noach had his problems too, his righteousness had flaws too, just like ALL of us. Our holiness is full of “holes”, and our salvation is because our God is a merciful God and he just chose to love us, just because HE is a LOVING and MERCIFUL GOD, and not that we deserve salvation. We can also state that the land of Canaan was being given to the Israelites because of the promise that YHVH made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob too. YHVH never breaks his promises.
    …..Chap 11, Moshe gives an order; “Therefore, thou shall love YHVH thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his ordinances and his commandments ALWAYS! Moshe cannot say this enough, like a father tells his children, “obey the rules, obey the rules, obey the rules” it is for their own good. Unfortunately, the admonition of obedience for many people goes in one ear and out the other.
    …..Let us go forth with a renewed heart, and show our love to God, by learning and obeying his Torah, of course we cannot be Torah observant 100% , but through the power of the Ruach HaKodesh, we can be obedient sons and daughters of Adonai El Elyon, and live a lifestyle that honors HIM.

    ISAIAH 49:14-51:3

    ….Israel cries out “The LORD hath forsaken me and forgotten me” but the prophet through the Holy Spirit assures the people, NO, the LORD has NOT forsaken you. There is a big difference between, “abandonment, forgetfulness, and chastisement”. The fact that YHVH has punished his people does not mean that He has abandoned Israel. When a father chastises his son or daughter, does that mean he no longer loves him or her? Does he cast them out of the house? Or say, “you are no longer my son, or daughter?” No, of course not, Scripture tells us that a father who loves his children, will discipline them. We can say the same with YHVH and “Am Israel” He loves his people, and so, HE will discipline them. Yes, he cast them out of the land, but in goyim lands, they continued to live and spread the teaching of the ONE GOD (Echad) who is Adonai-Elohim-Yeshuah. We are loved by our heavenly father, even when it hurts

    JOHN 7:1-8:59

    …..Some are a bit confused when Yeshua says to his brothers, “You guys go up to Yerushalayim to Sukkot, I will not YET go up. He did NOT LIE, (as some critics try to say). He was planning to go up, but not at that time. Remember that the celebration of Sukkot (Tabernacles) is a 7 day celebration, culminating on the 8th day, “Hoshannah Raba” it is possible that his brothers and his talmidim went during the beginning of the festivities, and Yeshua waited until the end, the 8th day.
    …..It was on the 8th day that the priests brought up water from the pool of Siloam, and Yeshua took this opportunity to say to the people; “If anyone is thirsty, let him keep coming to me and drink, whoever puts his trust in me, as the scripture says, rivers of living water will flow from his inmost being”
    …..We can remember the time when “B’nei Israel” (the children of Israel) were in the desert, and they got water from a ROCK. The ROCK symbolizes Yeshua, who is the ROCK of ages and the LIVING water. Water flowed from the rock so that the Israelites and the cattle could drink as much as they wanted.
    …..The water that Yeshua talks about is our inner life through a renewed spirit, Remember that He also told the woman of Samaria the same thing. It was to her that he revealed himself as Mashiach openly. So, when we read the WORD of God, listen to music that praises HIM, we are receiving “living water”


    Shabbat Shalom……..Rabbi Ben Avraham
    Well, your commentary really blessed me. The only concern I had was that you didn't distinguish between the OT Law and the NT commandments of Jesus. You do mention that the 613 commandments can be summed up in a single commandment, which Jesus later recited. However, you also talk about our obedience to the Torah.

    Surely you know the problem here? Please explain!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    107

    Re: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Well, your commentary really blessed me. The only concern I had was that you didn't distinguish between the OT Law and the NT commandments of Jesus. You do mention that the 613 commandments can be summed up in a single commandment, which Jesus later recited. However, you also talk about our obedience to the Torah.

    Surely you know the problem here? Please explain!
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

    Shalom and thank you for the comment, of course I will explain, Yes, Yeshua sums up the 613 commandments in one, yet he does NOT abolish the OT law, Yes came to FULFILL, our obedience to the commandments that were given by God through Moshe, stem from our love of God, BECAUSE we are HIS children through the NEW BIRTH, through Yeshua HaMashiach. BECAUSE we are saved, we (should) want to follow him and obey his WORD. of course, not all 613 commandments are for believers today, the sacrificial laws are not for today, there are commandments that can only be done being in Israel, yet there are many that ARE for today, and that is the reason of Bible (Torah) study. The meaning of the word TORAH is "instruction" and not "law" this word has been misinterpreted so much today

  4. #4

    Re: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    Quote Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

    Shalom and thank you for the comment, of course I will explain, Yes, Yeshua sums up the 613 commandments in one, yet he does NOT abolish the OT law, Yes came to FULFILL, our obedience to the commandments that were given by God through Moshe, stem from our love of God, BECAUSE we are HIS children through the NEW BIRTH, through Yeshua HaMashiach. BECAUSE we are saved, we (should) want to follow him and obey his WORD. of course, not all 613 commandments are for believers today, the sacrificial laws are not for today, there are commandments that can only be done being in Israel, yet there are many that ARE for today, and that is the reason of Bible (Torah) study. The meaning of the word TORAH is "instruction" and not "law" this word has been misinterpreted so much today
    I would argue that just as the 613 commandments can be summed up in a single command, so can the entire Torah be summed up in a single covenant, the Covenant of Law. And that Law has been positively abolished by Yeshua.

    It isn't as if Jesus said the Law was bad, or that it should not be followed during the time of his earthly ministry. Clearly, Jesus said not a single jot nor tittle could be neglected in obeying the Law of God!

    However, the whole argument comes down, I believe, to what Jesus meant by the "fulfillment" of the Law. I believe the Cross is what fulfilled the Law. All obedience is now directed to Jesus, and not to a Law that merely pointed to a greater righteousness from heaven--a righteousness that only Jesus could complete.

    Even though only Jesus could complete the righteousness of heaven we can participate in his righteousness by embracing his spirit and word. We can obey his summary of the Law, to love God supremely and to love one another as a corollary.

    I don't have a problem with the Jewish People following the cultural vestiges of the Law. And you are quite right that the sacrifices, temple, and priesthood are no longer part of the Law. As such the Law *cannot* be obeyed. If you want to obey food regulations, sabbaths, and festivals I have no problem with that, if it is purely a cultural thing.

    But to require it of all Christians, or even of all Jewish believers, is absolutely condemned by the Apostle Paul. Paul certainly wasn't playing favorites with his Jewish brothers here! But the point is that we are to focus purely on Jesus, and not on our own self-righteousness. We can't complete the Law. Only Jesus did that. We can only be righteous by receiving our righteousness spiritually from Jesus. And thus, our obedience consists purely of trying to imitate him, without all of the ceremony that only Jesus was able to fulfil.

    Respectfully....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27,151
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    I was never under the Law of Moses to begin with.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

  6. #6

    Re: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I was never under the Law of Moses to begin with.
    Nor should you have been, unless you "sojourned" through the land of Israel in the OT era. I can't say, though, that other religions had the answers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    27,151
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Covenant Blessings: Deut 7:12-11:25

    Galatians 4. .
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb 26th 2017, 09:46 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 3rd 2016, 11:50 PM
  3. Please Help Deut 30:6
    By Ta-An in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Jul 28th 2015, 04:43 PM
  4. Question regarding Deut 28
    By ProDeo in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jun 29th 2014, 02:27 PM
  5. I have set the land before you - Deut. 1
    By vinsight4u8 in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 25th 2008, 07:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •