View Poll Results: Who is the ‘little horn’ of Daniel 7

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Future world leader, who rises to power from a revived Roman empire before Jesus returns

3 30.00%
  • The Pope, or papal dynasty, arising out of the old Roman Empire during the dark ages.

0 0%
  • An Islamic Caliphate that existed once in history, and will appear again in the future.

1 10.00%
  • Other person or kingdom – Please explain

6 60.00%
Page 1 of 15 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the Infamous Little Horn?

Blog Entries

Who is the Infamous Little Horn?

"and behold, there came up among them another horn, a little one, before which three of the first horns were plucked up by the roots. And behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of a man, and a mouth speaking great things ... Then I desired to know the truth about the ... horn that had eyes and a mouth that spoke great things, and that seemed greater than its companions. As I looked, this horn made war with the saints and prevailed over them, until the Ancient of Days came, and judgment was given for the saints of the Most High, and the time came when the saints possessed the kingdom."
    (Daniel 7:8, 19-22)
    There are a few diverse interpretations of this prophecy sloshing around the Internet, and I’d like to hear yours. The background is Daniel’s wider vision of 4 beasts representing four empires, which the early Church Fathers (and the Jews?) identified as Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome. Out of Rome would emerge 10 kingdoms, and out of them would emerge this ‘little horn.’

1. The best known idea is that the little horn Daniel sees is ‘Antichrist,’ a world leader who rises to power from a ‘revived Roman Empire’ shortly before Jesus returns.
    2. Another view is that he represents the papal dynasty of the Roman Catholic Church, arising out of the remnants of the old Roman Empire during the dark ages.
    3. A lesser known view is that he represented an Islamic Caliphate that will be revived in the future, and will somehow incorporate elements of the 4 beasts of history.

Do you agree with any of these? Are there any other interpretations? Also, I would be interested to know how commentaries predating the Reformation treated this question.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Blog Entries

Re: Who is the Infamous Little Horn?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    There are a few diverse interpretations of this prophecy sloshing around the Internet, and I’d like to hear yours. The background is Daniel’s wider vision of 4 beasts representing four empires, which the early Church Fathers (and the Jews?) identified as Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece, and Rome. Out of Rome would emerge 10 kingdoms, and out of them would emerge this ‘little horn.’

1. The best known idea is that the little horn Daniel sees is ‘Antichrist,’ a world leader who rises to power from a ‘revived Roman Empire’ shortly before Jesus returns.
    2. Another view is that he represents the papal dynasty of the Roman Catholic Church, arising out of the remnants of the old Roman Empire during the dark ages.
    3. A lesser known view is that he represented an Islamic Caliphate that will be revived in the future, and will somehow incorporate elements of the 4 beasts of history.

Do you agree with any of these? Are there any other interpretations? Also, I would be interested to know how commentaries predating the Reformation treated this question.
    I see the little horn as Antiochus Epiphanies who was the 11th king but had the 3 next in line kings uprooted so he could become the 8th king

Blog Entries

I thought Id covered them all? Is that a common view or is it a Marty Fox special?
    "Your name and renown

Blog Entries

I thought Id covered them all? Is that a common view or is it a Marty Fox special?
    There are a few people who agree apparently quite a Jewish belief which was who I heard it from. If you read Daniel 11 and the books of Maccabees you will see some of it

Blog Entries

Antiochus Epiphanies? I was told the Jews thought it was Titus. Never mind. Christians arn't always in agreement either.
    "Your name and renown

Blog Entries

Antiochus Epiphanies? I was told the Jews thought it was Titus. Never mind. Christians arn't always in agreement either.
    How true

The math works he would of been the 11th king but 3 were removed he also desecrated the temple and killed thousands of Jews until god judged him

Blog Entries

The little horn is a future AC but not from a Roman Empire from the pit of he'll. This LH is the second beast rev 13 which is the mouth for the first beast

Blog Entries

Antiochus is the subject of other prophecy. But I can't see how Antiochus could be the little horn of chapter 7. He belonged to the 3rd empire (Greece) and what we are talking about comes out of the 4th. (Rome) How do you get around this Marty?
    "Your name and renown

There is nothing in Daniel 2 or Daniel 7 to indicate that the 4th empire is revived, it remains in power. Horns often represent territory within an empire, thus one of the territories of Rome will be revived, not Rome itself which continues in an unbroken timeline.

The revived Rome view is often taken from Rev 17 but this final beast of Rev 17 represents this new location of the capital of Rome, a small region of Rome that had ceased to exist when Rev was written even though Rome itself existed at that time. The secret to defining this territory is to look for a small region of the Roman Empire that disappeared by the end of the first century yet has re-arisen to the shock of unbelievers, but expected to re-arise by believers:
    The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come.

Blog Entries

Antiochus is the subject of other prophecy. But I can't see how Antiochus could be the little horn of chapter 7. He belonged to the 3rd empire (Greece) and what we are talking about comes out of the 4th. (Rome) How do you get around this Marty?
    Rome being the 4th beast is just an assumption and is not stated in the bible. I believe the 4th empire was Grease.

First beast is Babylon

Second beast Mends

Third beast Persia

These four empires are the only empires named in the book of Daniel and the first three are who Daniel mentions ruling over him.

What Antiochus does matches what the little horn did and could you imagine being a Jew living under the persecution of Antiochus who would you think the little horn was? What Daniel did was foretell what would happen under Antiochus and also give the Jews hope because they learned that Antiochus would prevail for a season and then be destroyed. Daniels message was for his people living through the persecution not for us

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Rome being the 4th beast is just an assumption and is not stated in the bible. I believe the 4th empire was Grease.
    Wasn't Grease American?

Sorry for being silly.

Greece was divided among 4, but the fourth empire, their would come 10...and then another little one.
    And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jeffweeder View Post
    Wasn't Grease American?

Sorry for being silly.

Greece was divided among 4, but the fourth empire, their would come 10...and then another little one.
    Bad bad joke LOL

The 10 horns are previous kings in the Seleucid dynasty Antiochus was the 11 in line who uprooted the previous 3 kings next in line to seize the throne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox
    Rome being the 4th beast is just an assumption and is not stated in the bible.
    Well, if that's the case, its was assumed by the early church. For example, Cyril of Jerusalem (313–386) said:
    "The fourth beast shall be a fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall surpass all kingdoms. And that this kingdom is that of the Romans, has been the tradition of the Church’s interpreters."
    "Your name and renown

Blog Entries

Well, if that's the case, its was assumed by the early church. For example, Cyril of Jerusalem (313–386) said:
    "The fourth beast shall be a fourth kingdom upon earth, which shall surpass all kingdoms. And that this kingdom is that of the Romans, has been the tradition of the Church’s interpreters."
    Most of the church still believe that today but they are not biblical authority and subject to make mistakes.

History matches what I stated and this vision was given before Antiochus was on the scene. Try looking at this through the eyes of Daniels audience as Daniels messages was for the Jews not us

Did you see post #10?

Quote Originally Posted by marty fox View Post
    Most of the church still believe that today but they are not biblical authority and subject to make mistakes.

History matches what I stated and this vision was given before Antiochus was on the scene. Try looking at this through the eyes of Daniels audience as Daniels messages was for the Jews not us

Did you see post #10?
    Where in Dan 7 does it even mention Jews? It mentions saints though. According to the NT, saints are pretty much meaning the church. The church does consist of Jews though, but not only Jews, Gentiles as well. Therefore, saints in Dan 7 are meaning Jews and Gentiles of the NT church.

Thread Information