Thread: Is the Promise of Regeneration Enunciated in the Old Testament?

Blog Entries

Is the Promise of Regeneration Enunciated in the Old Testament?

Regeneration of the human spirit is a cornerstone doctrine of the New Testament, taught in Jesus’ famous ‘born again’ discourse with Nicodemus. (John 3) Likewise, St. Paul explains our restoration in scriptures such as Colossians 3:9-10.
    “You have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.”
    Given that New Testament revelation finds its fountainhead in the Old Testament, was this experience explicitly promised by the prophets? And where in the Old Testament is the source of the doctrine of Regeneration?
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Re: Is the Promise of Regeneration Enunciated in the Old Testament?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberseeker View Post
    And where in the Old Testament is the source of the doctrine of Regeneration?
    Since the New Covenant is already stated in the Old Testament, regeneration is already mentioned there.

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
    26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
    27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (Ezek 36:25-27)

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. (Jer 31: 31-33)

There are also other related Scriptures.

Also, the individual (soul) is regenerated, not the spirit (from God - not human). The scripture reference (old self) is the individual (soul). The old self is body+spirit=soul, the new self is body+spirit-Spirit=soul. The old is gone and no longer exists.

Regeneration of the human spirit is a cornerstone doctrine of the New Testament, taught in Jesus’ famous ‘born again’ discourse with Nicodemus. (John 3) Likewise, St. Paul explains our restoration in scriptures such as Colossians 3:9-10.

Given that New Testament revelation finds its fountainhead in the Old Testament, was this experience explicitly promised by the prophets? And where in the Old Testament is the source of the doctrine of Regeneration?
    What a great question! Yes, I think Jesus indicated, in his conversation with Nicodemus, that teachers in Israel should've known about regeneration. I think the whole interest in the Prophets was in discerning the difference between outward observance of the Law and an inner spiritual relationship with God. This inner "marriage" to God was to result in genuine spiritual fruit, such as love and compassion. It was the spring out of which God's own love became mercy towards us. In a nutshell, I see regeneration as a character change, a "falling in love," so to speak. This is, however, a different kind of romance. It is a complete transformation in which we exchange our carnal selves for God's virtues. It is the abandonment of autonomous living in favor of dependence upon the spiritual life of God, a new chance at the tree of life.

Adam, perfect in his construction and habits until the fall, was placed in front of the Tree of Life and commanded to eat. When a man eats anything the system which God has put in place causes that food to be assimilated by the man. It becomes organically one with the man and permeates his being. So Adam, although perfect in his humanity, needed another "birth" in which the divine life would be infused into him. This was necessary because to be a "help meet" for our Lord Jesus he needed to have the same nature - the divine nature.

The New, and additional, and heavenly, and necessary birth is found in Genesis 2.

And by the way, contrary to some peoples' belief, the new birth only applies to the SPIRIT of man (Jn.3:6). From there, it works its way into the SOUL of man, not by REBIRTH, but by TRANSFORMATION (Rom.8:29; 2nd Cor.3:18; Col.3:10). Later, the body, by this same Holy Spirit, will be resurrected (or changed if the saint is alive at Christ's coming) in the image of Christ's body to complete the full salvation of man. 1st Corinthians 15:49; "And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also (in resurrection) bear the image of the heavenly."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel567

25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
    26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
    27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. (Ezek 36:25-27)
    This is indeed an impressive promise. But if we apply it to regeneration of the believer at conversion, we get a conflict with another widely held teaching. Im referring to the Christian possessing two natures - his new nature in Christ, and the adamic nature he was born with. What Ezekiel seems to be saying here, is that the 'old nature' is extracted from us at the same time as the 'new nature' is put in us. Is that what Ezekiel is saying?
    "Your name and renown

I don't see a conflict, and the teaching of two natures is false. The nature of a thing is the essence of a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Adam, perfect in his construction and habits until the fall, was placed in front of the Tree of Life and commanded to eat.
    Never read that. Where might that be?

And by the way, contrary to some peoples' belief, the new birth only applies to the SPIRIT of man (Jn.3:6).
    Neither that verse or that passage say that.

What Ezekiel seems to be saying here, is that the 'old nature' is extracted from us at the same time as the 'new nature' is put in us. Is that what Ezekiel is saying?
    What the Lord was saying through Ezekiel was primarily about regeneration -- a new heart and a new spirit. What Titus calls "the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Ghost". A supernatural work of God to convert a vile sinner into a saint.

So the issue of the old Adamic sin nature is not addressed here. Ideally every Christian should be "filled with the Spirit" which means continuously walking in the Spirit and producing the fruit of the Spirit.

But since the old Adamic sin is not immediately eradicated, we are told over and over again to crucify or mortify the flesh. So if the Christian would reject the lusts of the flesh constantly, the new heart, the new spirit, and the new creature in Christ would always be overcomers and have the victory. But that is the ideal, and not always the case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel567
    So the issue of the old Adamic sin nature is not addressed here.
    Can you suggest what the prophet may have had in mind by his statement, "... and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh"
    "Your name and renown

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    Never read that. Where might that be?

Neither that verse or that passage say that.
    I'm surprised that you you not know that what God makes is perfect especially man. After restoring the earth in six days, God found all that He did "good". But when He made man we read in Genesis 1:31; "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

Isaiah 45:18 assures us that God does not make anything imperfect. "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else." This is confirmed in 1st Corinthians 14:33; "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." Even Satan was made perfect; "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee" (Ezekiel 28:15). The word "till" indicates a addition that came well AFTER he was created.

And John 3:6 says that the rebirth is ONLY for the human spirit. The grammar is clear, especially in context with what Nicodemus held.

Can you suggest what the prophet may have had in mind by his statement, "... and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh"
    A stony heart is a hard heart, and a hard hard resists the voice of the Holy Spirit (Heb 3:7-10; Acts 7:51-53).

Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
    8Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
    9When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
    10Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.

51Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
    52Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
    53Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

God had already deemed Israel (in general) as being resistant to the Holy Spirit. But when Israel is converted at the second coming of Christ, that resistance will be taken away and Israel will mourn and repent and be converted. They will finally submit to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Regeneration is ONLY by faith (Jn.1:12; 1st Jn.5:1). Regeneration in scripture means a new birth and, in regard to man, it imparts the divine nature (Jn.3:15-16, 36, 5:24). The promise to Israel of a new spirit, and new heart and the replacement of the stony heart for one of softer flesh (Ezekiel 11:19, 18:31 and 36:26) is NOT regeneration. That which is promised to Israel to enable them to keep the New Covenant of Law is a FRESH, or REPLACED spirit and heart. Israel, addressed in the Old Testament, NEVER believe until they "see", in which case faith is ended, for Hebrews 11:1 says that faith is the substance of things UNSEEN.

I'm surprised that you you not know that what God makes is perfect especially man. After restoring the earth in six days, God found all that He did "good". But when He made man we read in Genesis 1:31; "And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day."

Isaiah 45:18 assures us that God does not make anything imperfect. "For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else." This is confirmed in 1st Corinthians 14:33; "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints." Even Satan was made perfect; "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee" (Ezekiel 28:15). The word "till" indicates a addition that came well AFTER he was created.

And John 3:6 says that the rebirth is ONLY for the human spirit. The grammar is clear, especially in context with what Nicodemus held.
    So where did you address that Adam "was placed in front of the Tree of Life and commanded to eat."?

John 3:6 says what is born of flesh is fleshly, what is born of spirit is spiritual. Like Paul saying we are not in the flesh but in the spirit. Has nothing to do with one singular aspect of our nature. John is very clear the man is born, not just a part. Was only the flesh born of flesh? Of course not.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    So where did you address that Adam "was placed in front of the Tree of Life and commanded to eat."?

John 3:6 says what is born of flesh is fleshly, what is born of spirit is spiritual. Like Paul saying we are not in the flesh but in the spirit. Has nothing to do with one singular aspect of our nature. John is very clear the man is born, not just a part. Was only the flesh born of flesh? Of course not.
    Genesis 2:9-16;
    9 "And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
    16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:"

Young's Literal gives it more precisely: "And Jehovah God layeth a charge on the man, saying, `Of every tree of the garden eating thou dost eat;"

John 3:6 does NOT say; "... and that which is born of the Spirit is SPIRITUAL." It reads, "... and that which is born of the Spirit is SPIRIT." The context was the WOMB (as supposed by Nicodemus), and in opposition, a birth IN THE SPIRIT. The spirit is place where the rebirth takes place. So also in the next Chapter of John. Not Mount Gerizim, Not Mount Moriah, but IN the human spirit must man worship God (4:20-24).

Thread Information