Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does the bible end?

Why does the bible end?

This is going to be a stupid question but pleas bear with me.

There are many different books that make up the bible and from what I can tell they all relate to God is some way. From what I understand it begins with creation and then ends with a prophecy but everything in between are many different stories. Stories about sin, punishment, forgiveness, how to act, kings, families, ect. What I don't understand is why there were no new stories. Did God stop speaking to people or stopped sending messengers? Are there no more prophets? SO much time had past and the world has changed but nothing had been added.

Re: Why does the bible end?

Quote Originally Posted by reapersweep View Post
    SO much time had past and the world has changed but nothing had been added.
    The Bible could have easily become a library of books had that been God's purpose (John 21:25).

But the whole point of having this revelation from God is so that you will put your faith in Him and in the Lord Jesus Christ, and be saved by His grace (John 20:30,31). And the significance of what is revealed is explained in 2 Timothy 3:16,17.

It ended because it is complete.

There are many different books that make up the bible and from what I can tell they all relate to God is some way. From what I understand it begins with creation and then ends with a prophecy but everything in between are many different stories. Stories about sin, punishment, forgiveness, how to act, kings, families, ect. What I don't understand is why there were no new stories. Did God stop speaking to people or stopped sending messengers? Are there no more prophets? SO much time had past and the world has changed but nothing had been added.
    Actually I think this is an absolutely brilliant question!! It seems that God took snippets out of time and framed them from the perspective of the Abrahamic Covenant, which is a recovery plan for the human race. Part I was the development of the Israei nation. Part II is the temporary failure of Israel, coupled with the expansion of God's plan to include the Gentile nations.

Only the beginning of Christianity is covered in Acts. But the book of Revelation gives us a basic perspective on what God will achieve in the NT age. Since Daniel covered the basic outline of history, and Revelation gives its consummation, I'm not sure anything more needs to be written.

What can be said, however, is that more may not be written to avoid any interest in endless speculation about prophecy! God doesn't want us to be crystal ball readers, trying to anticipate the times and seasons. This is the domain of God. We have all we need. Now we're writing our own stories. If you think about it, more is being written and preserved today than at any time when the canon of Scripture was being formally recognized. We live in great times!

It's an "owners manual" for your life. The stories are to compare others and ourselves too. It's also a future story of things to come and be ready for.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. John 20:29

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Rom 13:2

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life. James 1:12

Blog Entries

\What I don't understand is why there were no new stories. Did God stop speaking to people or stopped sending messengers? Are there no more prophets? SO much time had past and the world has changed but nothing had been added.
    Welcome to Bibleforums reapersweep!

Did God stop sending messengers? We have this from the Book of Hebrews in the New Testament concerning Jesus:

Hebrews 1:1-4 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Jesus' first coming was prophesied in the Old Testament and wasn't fulfilled for thousands of years from the first prophecy. Before Jesus came, as the Scripture above indicates, God chose to speak through the prophets. Jesus, in His incarnation, spoke for Himself. And then we have the words of God spoke through those who were alive and witnesses of Jesus' ministry on Earth.

We now wait for the return of Jesus as He promised. Here is something from the Apostle Peter concerning this:

2 Peter 3:1-4 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance: That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

That was penned ~ two thousand years ago and we have many who really don't consider the return again of Jesus Christ as even a remote possibility. It was kind of like that the first time He came.

Is it the last days yet? Each generation seems to fit the description, but are there any as froward toward God as this?
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Just an added thought, to this thread:

"Now these things happened to them as types and were written for our admonition, to whom the ends [plural] of the ages [plural] are arrived." 1Cor10:11blb

See also, Col1:25 :

"of which I [Paul] became a minister according to the administration of God having been given me toward you, to complete the word of God"

Blog Entries

Personally, I think ACTS is still being written

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

As already raised in this thread, the Bible, or Cannon "is closed" because the sufficiency of scripture is detailed as such:

John 20:30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
    John 21:24 This is the disciple who testifies of these things, and wrote these things; and we know that his testimony is true.

25 And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. Amen.

Now... as was also raised, Acts. Seems this is a continuing saga where the Body continues. Are all the testimonies of many Christians detailed and consolidated as we find throughout the Bible, nope! Yet, that does not mean there is an end to God's work through the Body. Why, on this very forum is a thread dedicated to testimonies: Dying Testimonies of the Saved and Unsaved << Click. Also, a forum dedicated for any testimony: Testimonies <<Click
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Blog Entries

It will continue to be written, not with ink and paper, but in real life.
    Thank God, at a time I discovered an Occult Bookstore and said to myself, I want the Devil's power, to help me live a happy life, that God saved me - 1975.

Septuigent (English Version)
    www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/

1611kingjamesbible.com
    About: King James Bible and Versions

Audio Bible
    (Good Reader)
    Follows KJV text, except archaic word replaced with today's English.
    www.wordproject.org/bibles/audio/01_english/

"Thru the Bible" ,
    with J. Vernon McGee
    Radio Audio Archive
    Five year reading of the Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Your Avatar is straight up killing me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Your Avatar is straight up killing me.
    Inspired by your comment of course! Truth is Kryptonite to false prophets.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by undertheblood View Post
    It will continue to be written, not with ink and paper, but in real life.
    Amen with these.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matt 5:6

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. John 20:29

Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. Rom 13:2

Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life. James 1:12

Why does the bible end?
    for many believers there were scriptures still being written. the Church would always reject such books. its also interesting that the "official" scriptures stopped being written the same time rome merges with Christianity. just a coincidence im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    for many believers there were scriptures still being written. the Church would always reject such books. its also interesting that the "official" scriptures stopped being written the same time rome merges with Christianity. just a coincidence im sure.
    The scriptures stopped being written when the last Apostle went to be with the Lord. Rome has zero to do with it.

Thread Information