Thread: I Worry About my Mother's Salvation

I Worry About my Mother's Salvation

This is a long story. But, I will try to make it as short as possible. My mother was saved & baptized at age 35. She is now 74. She still claims she is a Christian. But, her actions and words show otherwise. She loves to gossip about people, she is very materialistic, and she judges others based on limited information without knowing the entire story. She will then turn around and spread stories about this person without knowing all the facts. She is always on the phone gossiping. It really worries me. She will even call me and say things like "Did you know that 'Dave' is having an affair?!" I have told her numerous times that I don't want to know things like that and it isn't any of my business. She gets defensive. I have tried telling her in a loving way that we as Christians shouldn't be spreading stories about others - even if they are true. It is not Godly. She gets upset. It is almost like talking to a child. I love my mother. But, it is hard to be around her at times. My father (who is 79) is the opposite. He is so humble. He is also a Christian. It really bothers him when my mother does the things she does. The latest thing she did was she came to my house a few days ago wearing a t-shirt with the picture of a famous Country music singer on it. It also had his name on the t-shirt. I have no problem with that. But, this is what bothered me - She asked me if I could go online and try to find her a brown scarf to go with a certain dress she bought for church. I told her I would try to find one. She said, "I saw one in the Christian bookstore that would match. But, I didn't want to buy it because it said, "Jesus" on it." I said, "What is wrong with that?" She said, "I don't like wearing Jesus' name on my shirt. I think it looks tacky." I said to her, "Well you are wearing a country music singer's name on yourself! You will wear this man's name but won't wear Jesus' name?" I probably shouldn't have said that to her. But, it just popped out of my mouth before I could stop it. Anyway, I really worry about my mother. Please pray for her.

Re: I Worry About my Mother's Salvation

If she only knew and felt the damage that gossip does.
    Praying that God convicts her and that she have the desire to lift up others rather than knock them down. And that God would soften her heart so she will listen to you.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

This is common. King Solomon said in Ecclesiastes, there's nothing new under the sun. I heard the very best thing we can do to help our family & make change is praise the Lord & pray. Maybe suggesting your mom pray for the people that she knows are having issues ... or maybe the both of you can pray together if you're comfortable. If not, working at praying together would change the course of your lives. Prayer for the people she hears about would give your mom power to do something about it, and that might make her feel like she's making a difference rather than judging, if that's what she's actually doing. We also don't want to judge the judgers ... we'd be better off trying to persuade them in practical ways without insulting. Believe me, I know ... I've had to learn things the hard way. We have to be careful with our words. We still need to honor our parents even while we see them doing wrong. We need to pray for them & ask for help from the Holy Spirit, to gently persuade our loved ones (without insult). That pleases God. That's what I have learned. I wish I would have learned sooner in my life. It makes life more positive & peaceful & pleasing to God. Also the Lord tells us to cover other's sins. As ours have been covered by the blood. You will feel better if you help your mom by praying for her & trying to gently persuade her. Or just praying for her. You will be very happy that you do.

Well ! You can make up a story ? Make believe you know some one and you want to save her, maybe your Mom can help ?

Its one way of getting into a conversation ? I think ?
    Eph. 2:8
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Lifting your mother up in prayer to the Lord.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mom_of_four View Post
    This is a long story. But, I will try to make it as short as possible. My mother was saved & baptized at age 35. She is now 74. She still claims she is a Christian. But, her actions and words show otherwise. She loves to gossip about people, she is very materialistic, and she judges others based on limited information without knowing the entire story. She will then turn around and spread stories about this person without knowing all the facts. She is always on the phone gossiping. It really worries me. She will even call me and say things like "Did you know that 'Dave' is having an affair?!" I have told her numerous times that I don't want to know things like that and it isn't any of my business. She gets defensive. I have tried telling her in a loving way that we as Christians shouldn't be spreading stories about others - even if they are true. It is not Godly. She gets upset. It is almost like talking to a child. I love my mother. But, it is hard to be around her at times. My father (who is 79) is the opposite. He is so humble. He is also a Christian. It really bothers him when my mother does the things she does. The latest thing she did was she came to my house a few days ago wearing a t-shirt with the picture of a famous Country music singer on it. It also had his name on the t-shirt. I have no problem with that. But, this is what bothered me - She asked me if I could go online and try to find her a brown scarf to go with a certain dress she bought for church. I told her I would try to find one. She said, "I saw one in the Christian bookstore that would match. But, I didn't want to buy it because it said, "Jesus" on it." I said, "What is wrong with that?" She said, "I don't like wearing Jesus' name on my shirt. I think it looks tacky." I said to her, "Well you are wearing a country music singer's name on yourself! You will wear this man's name but won't wear Jesus' name?" I probably shouldn't have said that to her. But, it just popped out of my mouth before I could stop it. Anyway, I really worry about my mother. Please pray for her.
    How about you and mom pass out tracts the next time you go out together.. it will be uplifting for both of you..

Jude
    Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Did you ask mom about the tracts?

Jude
    Exodus 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Thread Information