Page 1 of 17 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jesus life love your enemies

The Jesus life love your enemies

Jesus taught love your enemies but how easy is that to do in today's world
    To me it seems very hard maybe that's why he instructed us to do it not because it is easy but because it's hard
    But my question is this do you find it hard to follow that example?

Blog Entries

Re: The Jesus life love your enemies

As Jude records Michael speaking to Satan, "The Lord rebuke or chastise you." A much harsher condemnation than anything I could think up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AfterThought View Post
    To me it seems very hard maybe that's why he instructed us to do it not because it is easy but because it's hard
    I must confess it is not easy. But I get consolation in doing so from this passage.

Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Rom 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

This is always a tough topic because "enemies" has to be distinguished. For example... am I being persecuted as in, my "Christian" faith is being slammed and I am even beat up because I was preaching on a street corner? Do I love that person and let them beat me practically to death and after 2 weeks in the hospital, I return to that corner to find the person who I now am to love and let them beat me down again? This is an extreme of pacifism that is not what the scriptures are teaching.

I say that because lets say after I get out of the hospital and I know that the persecutor is prepared to harm me should I stand on the corner and try to preach the Gospel. Am I not loving that person by calling the police and inform them that I will be traveling to that corner and I know that there is a person planning on stopping me by physically beating me up should I preach... is that loving or NOT loving the person?
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Blog Entries

It is important to know who the "real" enemy is?
    Peace to you!

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
    (Matthew 5:5)

There's a 'renewing of the mind' mentioned in Romans 12:2 and I think of this verse after reading your post.

It's so difficult to start out as a new follower, a real person trying. Nothing seems to work quite correctly, everything seems kind of puzzling. But I promise as a Sister in Christ, that every word of God will make perfect and complete sense the closer you are to Him.

Love your enemies.. seems difficult, almost impossible. And, we have a very strong Foe working very hard to make sure we do not forgive and love.

If we don't love, we hate. Hate is often rooted in being afraid (search yourself and pray if this could be). We are only to be afraid of our lord the father God, if we hate or show fear, then we are directing an emotion on a mortal person that only belongs to God. How must He feel to see us afraid of another Man so much. "For the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom"

Questions are always good, keep asking them to your siblings in Christ, and keep reading the Word and Praying every day.

In Matthew 5 and Luke 6, where this command is set forth we should first see the context. Note WHO is addressed in Matthew 5:1-2.

1 "And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
    2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,"

The disciples were the receivers of the teaching. So also in Luke 6:20.

20 "And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is the kingdom of God."

Unlike the gospel of John, which teaches HOW to be born again and possess Eternal Life, the Book of Matthew ASSUMES that the disciples are already born again. It is "YOUR Father", "OUR Father" and "MY Father", showing that the rebirth by God as Father had already taken place (Jn.1:12). And once a man or woman is born again they, as your title says, POSSESS the DIVINE LIFE AND NATURE. In 2 Peter 1:3-4 says;

3 "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
    4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

The command is addressed to men and women who ALREADY possess the LIFE that is Christ. The Greek word used for Eternal Life in the Bible is always "zoe", and this is the Greek word in 2nd Peter1:3 above. It is the LIFE that is IN Christ Jesus, and it has been imparted to us. That is, the whole of Christ's LIFE, His divine vitality, mingled with His perfect humanity, is in our possession in our spirits. So when Paul shows in Romans Chapter 7 that the man who addresses the flesh CANNOT keep God's commands, even if he wants to, he starts in Chapter 8 by showing us the, "Law of LIFE ('zoe') IN Christ Jesus" (v.2). The only way a man can keep the commandments of God (and Christ, as we now discuss) is to TURN to the SOURCE of victory and life - the LIFE of Christ in our spirits. Then we can understand Philippians 2:12-13.

12 "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
    13 For it is God which worketh IN YOU both to will and to do of his good pleasure."

In these verses the "salvation" spoken of is not to avoid the Lake of Fire. That is a work solely by Jesus. The salvation in Philippians 2 is the "salvation of the soul" which results when a PROCESS takes place in a man's soul to sanctify it - to make it holy. In 1st peter 1:3-9, in the context of our resurrection and inheritance (of the world), we see this process of US ADDING virtues to our faith. It ends with, "Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls" (v.9). And how do we achieve the IMPOSSIBLE? We do what Romans 8:2 and Philippians 2:13 says. We tap into what is already in us from the rebirth - the LIFE in Christ in our spirits! To love your enemy is IMPOSSIBLE for men. But any man who taps the LIFE of Christ CAN DO IT since it has been achieved already by the Jesus that lives in you.

But a word of warning. This is not learned from today to tomorrow. It is a process whereby the Christian constantly PRACTICES turning away from his/her own energy and power, and turning to Christ in humble submission for His LIFE. Just as the process in 1st Peter 1:3-9 takes a long time, to learn to love your enemies will take quite some practice at turning to Christ and His Life for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    This is always a tough topic because "enemies" has to be distinguished. For example... am I being persecuted as in, my "Christian" faith is being slammed and I am even beat up because I was preaching on a street corner? Do I love that person and let them beat me practically to death and after 2 weeks in the hospital, I return to that corner to find the person who I now am to love and let them beat me down again? This is an extreme of pacifism that is not what the scriptures are teaching.

I say that because lets say after I get out of the hospital and I know that the persecutor is prepared to harm me should I stand on the corner and try to preach the Gospel. Am I not loving that person by calling the police and inform them that I will be traveling to that corner and I know that there is a person planning on stopping me by physically beating me up should I preach... is that loving or NOT loving the person?
    I think Jesus knew Society very well when he said love your enemies when I think of that the first thing that comes to mind is the saying what goes around comes around
    Then if you love your enemies your enemies might love you instead but there's a difference between loving and being bullied
    If you do something do someone's behind there back most of the time for the average person will probably recognize it and will do the same to you like I said Jesus understood us very well
    that what comes to my mind when I think of that saying

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post

I agree with you. Our mistake is defining the "enemy" in general terms.

When some of the returning exiles led by Nehemiah started to rebuild the house of the Lord, their enemies tried to stop them. The Bible records that thereafter they did the work of the Lord with one hand and with the other, they held their swords (Nehemiah 4:16-17).

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    I agree with you. Our mistake is defining the "enemy" in general terms.

When some of the returning exiles led by Nehemiah started to rebuild the house of the Lord, their enemies tried to stop them. The Bible records that thereafter they did the work of the Lord with one hand and with the other, they held their swords (Nehemiah 4:16-17).
    Nehemiah did not rebuild the house of the Lord, he rebuilt the wall.

Neh. 4:16-17 NASB

16 From that day on, half of my servants carried on the work while half of them
    held the spears, the shields, the bows and the breastplates; and the captains were behind the whole house of Judah. 17 Those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby_Snacks View Post
    It is important to know who the "real" enemy is?
    Does Jesus have enemies in Revelation? What happens to them?
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Jesus slaughters them all... duh!
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Blog Entries

I think Jesus knew Society very well when he said love your enemies when I think of that the first thing that comes to mind is the saying what goes around comes around
    Then if you love your enemies your enemies might love you instead but there's a difference between loving and being bullied
    If you do something do someone's behind there back most of the time for the average person will probably recognize it and will do the same to you like I said Jesus understood us very well
    that what comes to my mind when I think of that saying
    Karma is a pagan concept.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Here's something that came to mind. The antichrist is obviously going to be an enemy. Many take this antichrist to be an actual human being. Assuming that turns out to be the case, are we to love him as well? My point is, can there then be exceptions to loving ones' enemies?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I tried some to search, but I will say this-- Taking vengeance is the opposite of what is meant by loving ones enemies IMO- Praying for people does not mean we determine the outcome but rely on His.

While we walk on earth there are (how many opportunities can any of us count on our fingers or hands where we could give pay back to "wrongs" suffered?) Some more than others I bet.

I believe what Jesus is meaning to convey in Matthew 5:43-48 has more to do with our own souls and well being-- than others. It has to do with less bitterness, and more seeing the spirit that is behind anyone's actions. (even our own)
    We never know if a benefit (such as witness for Salvation for the one who is apparently doing wrong, or a prayer for someone who is lost, will be the reason to listen..even ten years later to the good news?)

I believe mercy saved me.

Are His instructions always for us to become who he wants us to be?
    Peace to you!

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."
    (Matthew 5:5)

Thread Information