Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    How about from a Biblical point of view. I don't see in scripture where most diseases are attributed to scripture. Can you please provide some scripture for clarification.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm not seeing that either. Can you show us the scriptural foundation that helped you come to this conclusion?
    While not all disease/physical problems have a supernatural cause, we find in the Bible multiple physical problems healed when the demon was IDed and removed.

Jesus Himself dealt with four distinct cases of a person with a physical problem, attributed to a demonic cause.

A mute man (Mt 9), a deaf mute (Mt 15), a mute child (Mk 9) and a bent over woman (Lk 13). All four cases are physical problems caused by demons and the mute child borders mental issues as well due to what appears to be suicidal actions and the convulsions. When we read these, I'm sure we can easily attest all the problems to various NATURAL problems/mental issues. Which, some who suffer muteness, deafness, convulsions, suicidal thoughts and actions, muscle deformity... are physical in natural.

OH... I think it was mentioned, King Saul (OT)... depression. Yes, his mental illness was caused by the demonic.

But not all.

Several times over the last 10 years I've either witnessed for myself or listened to testimonies of people who have a physical problem and no doctor can help and not ONE healing prayer/laying on of hands for healing was answered. In the cases I personally witnessed, a demon was discerned as the reason for the physical problem and when the demon was removed, JUST AS it is in the scriptures when the demon was removed, the physical problem ENDED... they were healed. Not by the praying for healing (which never worked)... but by delivering the person of the demon that had the assignment/authority to cause the physical problem in the person.

And YES... in all the cases I witnessed or listened to testimony, the person was a Christian and faithful to God.

So, as a member of the Body, when physical/mental problems are dealt with, if we are to be Christ-like, we cannot ignore that demons CAN (not always) be the reason for the physical problem and NO amount of medication or doctors involvement, nor healing prayers... will help the person.

The demon needs to go (deliverance), for the healing to happen.
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Thanks for your question Slug1. At the time which is going back 8 years ago. My ex wife and her family tried to block me from attending any church or Christian help as they claimed it would feed my so called delusions that I was being spiritually attacked. It wasn’t until after the separation I went to a church and seen a pastor who helped me. Things did abruptly stop. I’ve had nothing happen since then and have even tapered off medications. Absolutely nothing. But every time I meet doctors they are unhappy with my non-compliance and have noted this in my records. I am seeing an alternative psychiatrist who is trying to remove the label however the mainstream doctors are hellbent on maintaining the status quo to make me take medications for life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post

But not all.
    Which was the point of my first post in this thread. Oppression and possession can at times and under certain circumstances be demonic and at other times with different people and situations have purely physical or mental roots.
    I always recommend that someone seek counseling from a Christian pastor and a Christian mental health professional and hopefully one guy who can serve in both capacities.

If you can't find one guy who can serve in both capacities most pastors/preachers should be able to recommend you to a good Christian psychiatrist if need be. But I wouldn't trust someone who completely discounts demonic activity before you even see him just the same as I wouldn't trust someone who sees Satan as the blame for everything from stubbing your toe to bipolar disorder.

I read your whole post and agree with it by the way. It still happens. But not every illness, physical or mental, is the result of demonic activity.
    Day by day,
    Dear Lord, of thee three things I pray:
    To see thee more clearly,
    Love thee more dearly,
    Follow thee more nearly,
    Day by day.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Which was the point of my first post in this thread. Oppression and possession can at times and under certain circumstances be demonic and at other times with different people and situations have purely physical or mental roots.
    I always recommend that someone seek counseling from a Christian pastor and a Christian mental health professional and hopefully one guy who can serve in both capacities.

If you can't find one guy who can serve in both capacities most pastors/preachers should be able to recommend you to a good Christian psychiatrist if need be. But I wouldn't trust someone who completely discounts demonic activity before you even see him just the same as I wouldn't trust someone who sees Satan as the blame for everything from stubbing your toe to bipolar disorder.

I read your whole post and agree with it by the way. It still happens. But not every illness, physical or mental, is the result of demonic activity.
    i second that.

however i got well from "mood disorder" after i became a christian, but at that moment, the demons popped out. Its like i got rid of them from inside my head where they caused a mess to manifesting outside my head. I recognize the same pattern from demonic activity as i did with my mental issues, attack - retreat, attack - retreat ... i had ups and downs, ups and downs, except now its like theyre manifesting in other people, like im in something similar to "the truman show", the demons work "trough others" in things they say, situations im in etc.

so... i do think mental health issues to a large part is demonic oppression, and i do think faith can cure you.

Quote Originally Posted by marius77 View Post
    i second that.

however i got well from "mood disorder" after i became a christian, but at that moment, the demons popped out. Its like i got rid of them from inside my head where they caused a mess to manifesting outside my head. I recognize the same pattern from demonic activity as i did with my mental issues, attack - retreat, attack - retreat ... i had ups and downs, ups and downs, except now its like theyre manifesting in other people, like im in something similar to "the truman show", the demons work "trough others" in things they say, situations im in etc.

so... i do think mental health issues to a large part is demonic oppression, and i do think faith can cure you.
    I agree. However, demon oppression is virtually everywhere for the believer, because "the whole world is in the power of the evil one. Christians are not under the evil one, and therefore locked in conflict with this oppression.

Where it gets into our brain is when we have not fully developed a walking relationship with Christ, learning how to keep our minds tuned in to the word of God and into the Spirit of Christ. If we do not know how to walk in the truth of Christ we can be defeated by forces we are not prepared to face. And it can cause us to walk outside of God's will, leading to serious changes in our state of mind.

I believe this can lead to mental illness, short-term or long-term. It can affect our children. We really need to learn about spiritual conflict when we become Christians. We need to understand spiritual warfare, and recognize God's word in a world of darkness and oppression. We must learn to trust in God's love, avoiding false condemnation, resisting evil spirits that assault us, all the while keeping our love for God on fire. This can keep us from serious mental problems.

Thread Information