Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    28,570
    Blog Entries
    92

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    How about from a Biblical point of view. I don't see in scripture where most diseases are attributed to scripture. Can you please provide some scripture for clarification.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm not seeing that either. Can you show us the scriptural foundation that helped you come to this conclusion?
    While not all disease/physical problems have a supernatural cause, we find in the Bible multiple physical problems healed when the demon was IDed and removed.

    Jesus Himself dealt with four distinct cases of a person with a physical problem, attributed to a demonic cause.

    A mute man (Mt 9), a deaf mute (Mt 15), a mute child (Mk 9) and a bent over woman (Lk 13). All four cases are physical problems caused by demons and the mute child borders mental issues as well due to what appears to be suicidal actions and the convulsions. When we read these, I'm sure we can easily attest all the problems to various NATURAL problems/mental issues. Which, some who suffer muteness, deafness, convulsions, suicidal thoughts and actions, muscle deformity... are physical in natural.

    OH... I think it was mentioned, King Saul (OT)... depression. Yes, his mental illness was caused by the demonic.

    But not all.

    Several times over the last 10 years I've either witnessed for myself or listened to testimonies of people who have a physical problem and no doctor can help and not ONE healing prayer/laying on of hands for healing was answered. In the cases I personally witnessed, a demon was discerned as the reason for the physical problem and when the demon was removed, JUST AS it is in the scriptures when the demon was removed, the physical problem ENDED... they were healed. Not by the praying for healing (which never worked)... but by delivering the person of the demon that had the assignment/authority to cause the physical problem in the person.

    And YES... in all the cases I witnessed or listened to testimony, the person was a Christian and faithful to God.

    So, as a member of the Body, when physical/mental problems are dealt with, if we are to be Christ-like, we cannot ignore that demons CAN (not always) be the reason for the physical problem and NO amount of medication or doctors involvement, nor healing prayers... will help the person.

    The demon needs to go (deliverance), for the healing to happen.
    Slug1--out

    ~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~


    ~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

    ~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~



  2. #17

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Thanks for your question Slug1. At the time which is going back 8 years ago. My ex wife and her family tried to block me from attending any church or Christian help as they claimed it would feed my so called delusions that I was being spiritually attacked. It wasn’t until after the separation I went to a church and seen a pastor who helped me. Things did abruptly stop. I’ve had nothing happen since then and have even tapered off medications. Absolutely nothing. But every time I meet doctors they are unhappy with my non-compliance and have noted this in my records. I am seeing an alternative psychiatrist who is trying to remove the label however the mainstream doctors are hellbent on maintaining the status quo to make me take medications for life.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Not of this earth
    Posts
    12,428
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post

    But not all.
    Which was the point of my first post in this thread. Oppression and possession can at times and under certain circumstances be demonic and at other times with different people and situations have purely physical or mental roots.
    I always recommend that someone seek counseling from a Christian pastor and a Christian mental health professional and hopefully one guy who can serve in both capacities.

    If you can't find one guy who can serve in both capacities most pastors/preachers should be able to recommend you to a good Christian psychiatrist if need be. But I wouldn't trust someone who completely discounts demonic activity before you even see him just the same as I wouldn't trust someone who sees Satan as the blame for everything from stubbing your toe to bipolar disorder.

    I read your whole post and agree with it by the way. It still happens. But not every illness, physical or mental, is the result of demonic activity.
    God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able,
    but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Norway, on a farm right outside of Oslo.
    Posts
    12

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Which was the point of my first post in this thread. Oppression and possession can at times and under certain circumstances be demonic and at other times with different people and situations have purely physical or mental roots.
    I always recommend that someone seek counseling from a Christian pastor and a Christian mental health professional and hopefully one guy who can serve in both capacities.

    If you can't find one guy who can serve in both capacities most pastors/preachers should be able to recommend you to a good Christian psychiatrist if need be. But I wouldn't trust someone who completely discounts demonic activity before you even see him just the same as I wouldn't trust someone who sees Satan as the blame for everything from stubbing your toe to bipolar disorder.

    I read your whole post and agree with it by the way. It still happens. But not every illness, physical or mental, is the result of demonic activity.
    i second that.

    however i got well from "mood disorder" after i became a christian, but at that moment, the demons popped out. Its like i got rid of them from inside my head where they caused a mess to manifesting outside my head. I recognize the same pattern from demonic activity as i did with my mental issues, attack - retreat, attack - retreat ... i had ups and downs, ups and downs, except now its like theyre manifesting in other people, like im in something similar to "the truman show", the demons work "trough others" in things they say, situations im in etc.

    so... i do think mental health issues to a large part is demonic oppression, and i do think faith can cure you.

  5. #20

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by marius77 View Post
    i second that.

    however i got well from "mood disorder" after i became a christian, but at that moment, the demons popped out. Its like i got rid of them from inside my head where they caused a mess to manifesting outside my head. I recognize the same pattern from demonic activity as i did with my mental issues, attack - retreat, attack - retreat ... i had ups and downs, ups and downs, except now its like theyre manifesting in other people, like im in something similar to "the truman show", the demons work "trough others" in things they say, situations im in etc.

    so... i do think mental health issues to a large part is demonic oppression, and i do think faith can cure you.
    I agree. However, demon oppression is virtually everywhere for the believer, because "the whole world is in the power of the evil one. Christians are not under the evil one, and therefore locked in conflict with this oppression.

    Where it gets into our brain is when we have not fully developed a walking relationship with Christ, learning how to keep our minds tuned in to the word of God and into the Spirit of Christ. If we do not know how to walk in the truth of Christ we can be defeated by forces we are not prepared to face. And it can cause us to walk outside of God's will, leading to serious changes in our state of mind.

    I believe this can lead to mental illness, short-term or long-term. It can affect our children. We really need to learn about spiritual conflict when we become Christians. We need to understand spiritual warfare, and recognize God's word in a world of darkness and oppression. We must learn to trust in God's love, avoiding false condemnation, resisting evil spirits that assault us, all the while keeping our love for God on fire. This can keep us from serious mental problems.

  6. #21

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    I hope you still visit this forum. I have suffered from severe mental illness most of my life to the point of suicide. I have all ways believed in God and his son Jesus, but I seemed to suffer mentally and have on many occasions turned to the medical profession for help to no avail. I all ways thought that I was a good man and followed the commandments. But it seems I was mistaken. I can tell you with an honest heart that mental illness is a symptom of Sin! But if you go to a priest or vicar or pastor and ask them what are the symtems of sin they will either just say the path of sin is death or they won't know. The reason why I know this to be the truth is that I no longer suffer as I once did. Admittedly I am still looking for more knowledge and understanding but every day brings hope of once again feeling normal. But how have I come to this understanding, well that was God's work. Once you understand that it is sin that you are suffering, it's then a case of finding out what it is you are doing wrong, my mind was so depraved and disgusting but I didn't know it was. But after finding this out I acted on it and tried to stop not only doing what was wrong but to stop THINKING about it. Everyday I would tell myself stop each time these thoughts entered my mind, and everyday it seemed like a brain cell or some synaptic path was being repaired. It has taken me a long time to get where I am today. But once I understood the truth my embarrassment and guilt and shame about all my past sins were rendered and I fell and begged God to forgive me, Repented I assume it would be called. Not like saying God please forgive my sins, I mean really understand that it was you who in ignorance sinned before the eyes of God himself, all your sins and thoughts were laid bare before him. It is a shock to think that your suffering was due to this, but it is because of our ignorance. I will all ways bear the strips of my punishment, but I deserved everyone one, he was only trying to correct me.
    It is the mind where this battle takes place, with knowledge and understanding what Jesus tells us that we can become free from sin, not just by saying a prayer but to truly understand. If you wish to speak more please do so

  7. #22

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Depression and anxiety seem like a normal reaction to all the horrible evil events that are taking place every single second on this planet. Those whom do not experience depression are people who are able to tune out that reality and not dwell on the sufferings of others. That is not demon possession. That is my opinion.

  8. #23

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin633 View Post
    I hope you still visit this forum. I have suffered from severe mental illness most of my life to the point of suicide. I have all ways believed in God and his son Jesus, but I seemed to suffer mentally and have on many occasions turned to the medical profession for help to no avail. I all ways thought that I was a good man and followed the commandments. But it seems I was mistaken. I can tell you with an honest heart that mental illness is a symptom of Sin! But if you go to a priest or vicar or pastor and ask them what are the symtems of sin they will either just say the path of sin is death or they won't know. The reason why I know this to be the truth is that I no longer suffer as I once did. Admittedly I am still looking for more knowledge and understanding but every day brings hope of once again feeling normal. But how have I come to this understanding, well that was God's work. Once you understand that it is sin that you are suffering, it's then a case of finding out what it is you are doing wrong, my mind was so depraved and disgusting but I didn't know it was. But after finding this out I acted on it and tried to stop not only doing what was wrong but to stop THINKING about it. Everyday I would tell myself stop each time these thoughts entered my mind, and everyday it seemed like a brain cell or some synaptic path was being repaired. It has taken me a long time to get where I am today. But once I understood the truth my embarrassment and guilt and shame about all my past sins were rendered and I fell and begged God to forgive me, Repented I assume it would be called. Not like saying God please forgive my sins, I mean really understand that it was you who in ignorance sinned before the eyes of God himself, all your sins and thoughts were laid bare before him. It is a shock to think that your suffering was due to this, but it is because of our ignorance. I will all ways bear the strips of my punishment, but I deserved everyone one, he was only trying to correct me.
    It is the mind where this battle takes place, with knowledge and understanding what Jesus tells us that we can become free from sin, not just by saying a prayer but to truly understand. If you wish to speak more please do so
    Let me give you my thoughts on this. Mental problems can certainly be connected to sins we have committed, but not always. For example, your parents or before them may have sinned, leading them into mental problems, or at least a predisposition to them. Then, you can inherit these weaknesses and either fall into the same traps/sins, or simply direct your life poorly due to the predispositions you inherited.

    The point is, you don't need to locate blame beyond correcting your own immediate sins. Correcting those things may not bring immediate healing because what we've inherited, or what we've developed on our own, are entrenched patterns not easily broken. Just repenting may not remedy the problem.

    What you do need to do is get rid of any guilt associated with immediate sins. If you are not doing them you are not guilty just because you still have mental problems. If you are a Christian you can rest assured your sins are forgiven! You may not feel forgiven when you still go through issues, but you are nonetheless!

    So what you have to do is determine for the long haul to hold onto your faith, and continue to live in the love of God. You won't be perfect. You shouldn't expect to be perfect. What you need to do is keep God's love alive in your life, trying to love others in the many ways Christians do. Then you will reduce the amount of condemnation you feel. And at times you will feel exhilarated when at those times you feel faith, acceptance, and spiritual authority. This will confirm for you that everything is going to turn out alright in the end. Never give up! Your courage is recognized from on High, I believe.

  9. #24

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Let me give you my thoughts on this. Mental problems can certainly be connected to sins we have committed, but not always. For example, your parents or before them may have sinned, leading them into mental problems, or at least a predisposition to them. Then, you can inherit these weaknesses and either fall into the same traps/sins, or simply direct your life poorly due to the predispositions you inherited.

    The point is, you don't need to locate blame beyond correcting your own immediate sins. Correcting those things may not bring immediate healing because what we've inherited, or what we've developed on our own, are entrenched patterns not easily broken. Just repenting may not remedy the problem.

    What you do need to do is get rid of any guilt associated with immediate sins. If you are not doing them you are not guilty just because you still have mental problems. If you are a Christian you can rest assured your sins are forgiven! You may not feel forgiven when you still go through issues, but you are nonetheless!

    So what you have to do is determine for the long haul to hold onto your faith, and continue to live in the love of God. You won't be perfect. You shouldn't expect to be perfect. What you need to do is keep God's love alive in your life, trying to love others in the many ways Christians do. Then you will reduce the amount of condemnation you feel. And at times you will feel exhilarated when at those times you feel faith, acceptance, and spiritual authority. This will confirm for you that everything is going to turn out alright in the end. Never give up! Your courage is recognized from on High, I believe.
    Thank you for your kind words of understanding and knowledge .
    I agree that the sins from parents can cause serious issues as I suffered over 12 years of mental and physical abuse from them.
    I never really understood the damage to the mind and what something like that can do to you until recently.
    And thank you for not quoting scripture to me to try and make me understand what I should be thinking.
    When I tell so called Christians of my past they all ways quote Job, and how he suffered. But to me they are just like those who judged him and condemned him for doing something wrong.
    If they understood the book of Job they would know that when God allowed Satan to touch him he suffered mental illness , like many who suffer this terrible afliction they begged God to end there lives.
    I would like to talk to you about how I have come to understand what the bible says to me so you may have some understanding of who I am.
    And tell me where I might be going wrong.
    Priests and vicars and pasters don't seem to have time to talk to a sinner and try and help, they are more interested in making money.
    I look forward to talking with you if you have the time.
    Mark

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,131

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    While not all disease/physical problems have a supernatural cause, we find in the Bible multiple physical problems healed when the demon was IDed and removed.

    Jesus Himself dealt with four distinct cases of a person with a physical problem, attributed to a demonic cause.

    A mute man (Mt 9), a deaf mute (Mt 15), a mute child (Mk 9) and a bent over woman (Lk 13). All four cases are physical problems caused by demons and the mute child borders mental issues as well due to what appears to be suicidal actions and the convulsions. When we read these, I'm sure we can easily attest all the problems to various NATURAL problems/mental issues. Which, some who suffer muteness, deafness, convulsions, suicidal thoughts and actions, muscle deformity... are physical in natural.

    OH... I think it was mentioned, King Saul (OT)... depression. Yes, his mental illness was caused by the demonic.

    But not all.

    Several times over the last 10 years I've either witnessed for myself or listened to testimonies of people who have a physical problem and no doctor can help and not ONE healing prayer/laying on of hands for healing was answered. In the cases I personally witnessed, a demon was discerned as the reason for the physical problem and when the demon was removed, JUST AS it is in the scriptures when the demon was removed, the physical problem ENDED... they were healed. Not by the praying for healing (which never worked)... but by delivering the person of the demon that had the assignment/authority to cause the physical problem in the person.

    And YES... in all the cases I witnessed or listened to testimony, the person was a Christian and faithful to God.

    So, as a member of the Body, when physical/mental problems are dealt with, if we are to be Christ-like, we cannot ignore that demons CAN (not always) be the reason for the physical problem and NO amount of medication or doctors involvement, nor healing prayers... will help the person.

    The demon needs to go (deliverance), for the healing to happen.
    Upfront, I agree with you that demons can cause physical problems. Jesus makes that plain. If I have understood you correctly, you say "not all" physical problems are demon related. What makes you think that? You may be right of course. I've heard it many times, but I haven't really seen evidence that physical problems can be related to anything other than demons. Is it our lack of faith to assume some physical problems are natural and some are demonic? I point to the following:

    Genesis 1:31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.

    God saw EVERYTHING that He made, including man, and it was good. Thinking like humans, we assume this only applied at the time of creation. However, God isn't confined to time. Things He says have great meaning for all time. So, I have a hard time believing God created a world with all sorts of diseases and deformities. That doesn't sound all that "good" to me. I realize the earth was cursed when Adam sinned. But, does that curse come from God directly, or does God allow satan more control. I think it means satan was given more control, which is indeed a curse.

    So, I do not have any evidence that suggests physical problems are just "natural." Perhaps, every one of them is the works of satan. I don't know for sure, but I have prayed many times for healing, to no avail. Same for countless others. Is it because we aren't asking the right questions? Such as, "Lord please deliver this person from the unclean spirit/s causing the arthritis." Since we know for sure that satan is to blame for at least some physical problems, isn't it possible that he is responsible for all of them?

  11. #26

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin633 View Post
    Thank you for your kind words of understanding and knowledge .
    I agree that the sins from parents can cause serious issues as I suffered over 12 years of mental and physical abuse from them.
    I never really understood the damage to the mind and what something like that can do to you until recently.
    And thank you for not quoting scripture to me to try and make me understand what I should be thinking.
    When I tell so called Christians of my past they all ways quote Job, and how he suffered. But to me they are just like those who judged him and condemned him for doing something wrong.
    If they understood the book of Job they would know that when God allowed Satan to touch him he suffered mental illness , like many who suffer this terrible afliction they begged God to end there lives.
    I would like to talk to you about how I have come to understand what the bible says to me so you may have some understanding of who I am.
    And tell me where I might be going wrong.
    Priests and vicars and pasters don't seem to have time to talk to a sinner and try and help, they are more interested in making money.
    I look forward to talking with you if you have the time.
    Mark
    Brother, I always have the time for you. I'm more experienced in this than you know. I understand the judgmentalism, and you are right to dismiss it. Sometimes you have to protect yourself from Christians, even though they are your brothers.

    In my own sufferings of various kinds I was exposed to some in Faith Teaching who heaped condemnation on me simply for suffering various ailments in my life--ailments that I had no control over. I have tried to not despise these "friends of Job" who judge others without knowing what they're talking about. And I hope others don't drive you to despair and bitterness.

    Talk to me anytime, please! Remember that Christ wore a crown of thorns for a reason. He understood our mental anguish. He identified with it, and thus had no condemnation for those who experience it.

    All God ever requires of us is that we remain faithful to live in the spirit of His Son. He loves His Son above all, and anyone who loves His Son. The rest is just dirt beneath our feet that provides a path that leads us to Him.

  12. #27

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Brother, I always have the time for you. I'm more experienced in this than you know. I understand the judgmentalism, and you are right to dismiss it. Sometimes you have to protect yourself from Christians, even though they are your brothers.

    In my own sufferings of various kinds I was exposed to some in Faith Teaching who heaped condemnation on me simply for suffering various ailments in my life--ailments that I had no control over. I have tried to not despise these "friends of Job" who judge others without knowing what they're talking about. And I hope others don't drive you to despair and bitterness.

    Talk to me anytime, please! Remember that Christ wore a crown of thorns for a reason. He understood our mental anguish. He identified with it, and thus had no condemnation for those who experience it.

    All God ever requires of us is that we remain faithful to live in the spirit of His Son. He loves His Son above all, and anyone who loves His Son. The rest is just dirt beneath our feet that provide a path that leads us to Him.
    Thank you once again.
    I will be as brief as possible, I am a meek kind of man, some would say a coward.
    But went through acts of theft and lying as a child but soon grew out of this habit.
    As I grew up the world beckoned me with open arms with understandings of wealth and female partnerships, ie fornication etc, which I didn't start until I was 18 years old. Slow starter I would say.
    Anyway it all reached a head about 20 years ago, I had been receiving counciling to no avail etc.
    I could take it no more and had turned to the bible for help, but with my mind the way it was I could not grasp any concept except the ten commandments and a few other facts, but I had nowhere left to turn and decided that it was either suicide or go up on a hill and shout to God. I have never trusted the church due to a few understandings that aren't worth going inton right now.
    Anyway I had decided to plead my case with God, I stood in the middle of this field with many people around and threw all my keys and money I had on me and with the loudest shout said God why have you forsaken me and fell to my knees and so bed openly.
    I waited for a sign as you do but nothing happened, so after some time decided to walk away from my wife and children and follow jesus and started walking, not on roads but through fields. Crying all the way, I walked for hours so set on this course of action.
    Eventually I reached a valley and stood looking into it feeling thirsty, when I noticed the clouds where drifting down into it and how beautiful it was, when a voice said GO BACK!?
    I new it wasn't my voice or even my thoughts that said this, I stood and thought I don't want to go back I wanted to follow Christ. But it seemed so real, I know I didn't say it but I didn't think it was God either. Why would God want me to go back if I was so willing to follow Jesus.
    Anyway I returned to where I threw all my stuff and of course it was gone.After 10 hours this was understandable and as I put my thumb up to maybe get a lift down the hill closer to home.
    So many cars just drove past, which was understandable when one stopped and asked if I had lost my keys which I replied yes and she told me they where on a picnic bench.
    So I go home and my wife is very worried but I just went to bed, disheartened about my ordeal, there was no saving me.
    The next morning I woke up and my mind was completely healed, no pain, no, anguish, no worries, no fear just a sense of peace and love that I had never felt before in my entire life.
    My wife was sceptical and said it could be bipolar. But someone or something had fixed my mind in an instant.
    I read the bible again knowing that God had helped me, and I understood a lot more. Then the jahovas came knocking and I took bible study skills with them, but they said ifor you don't become a jahovas witness you could not be saved and there attitude towards others were not in the keeping of the bible so I left them.
    The feeling of love didn't last very long, about 2 or 3 years, and slowly without realising it I was once again becoming I'll.
    I forgot about God and just carried on with my life as all others do till I was back at my worst point again, and once again going for therapy and tablets.
    I really do mean that I could not remember what I had done before even when I reached for my bible. I thought that it might be that I smoked or that I drank too much but after 6 months of stopping these nothing had made a difference to my mental state so I started drinking and smoking again.
    My mind was now so messed up I could not tell if reality was real or not and if I ended it it would not matter.
    Then one night I had a dream, not a normal dream but very vivid.
    I won't go into all the details but I was playing in a round room with a very large gentleman standing in front of a door and after a while of playing and exploring decided to go through the door but the man said I could not enter, where I replied I'm allowed I have a certificate and went searching but could not find it. So went up to the man to say I had lost it but I was being honest and I did have one but once again he said you are not going in.
    At this I wanted to see his face, I looked at him he was a man with authority and as I looked his face changed into a grotesque and depraved, disgusting man, at which time I awoke.
    I soon came to realise that the face that I had seen was a true reflection of myself.
    It didn't take me long to discover where it was I was going wrong and tried with all my strength to defeat the demon that I was feeding, basically cutting off his food.
    I would say it was like a heroine addict going cold turkey, it took the teachings of Jesus to try and defeat this monster, no devine intervention this time, I could have gone back up the hill and beg for forgiveness but I would have ended up in the same situation that I got myself in before so I had to try and learn the truth, I mean it has to be in there.
    And it is and it takes time for the mind to adjust to the truth.
    In the mean time I had to make my mind up about the church and after coming to understand that the jahovas whiteness had taken away and added text to the bible I was very vexed, and so went to a church for the first time in my life, still not fixed in understanding but to see the vicar for help.
    And after he finished his sermon which consisted of too verses from Mathew and then talking about golf and missing the mark, I could only say that some thing came out of me on 2 the feeling was like anew electric shock, I felt quite ill but managed not to fall.
    He eventually came and sat with me while I told him a little bit of my plight. And asked what I thought of his sermon where he mentioned the wailing and Nashing of teeth, but he didn't use it in the right context, where I informed him it is when we come to understand the truth we would truly be wailing.
    He asked me some strange questions and kept looking into my eyes, his eyes were very dark. He asked which church I was with and I told him this was the first time I had ever been to church, then after a few more questions got up and hide amongst some of his congregation.
    I said sorry for taking up the vicars time but they looked at him and said are you not going to give him a brochure, flustered he did so and pointed out how to contact him but I said sorry I can't read that, he nervously said can't you read where I replied yes I have just forgotten my glasses, and shot back into his small group of followers.
    It just seems so strange to me his persona was not right, it seemed like I scared him.
    Anyway, I came to understand when Jesus says that when our house has been swept clean we will walk about not knowing what to do and when we return we will take seven more demon's far worse than the ones that he had got rid of, the house is the mind the place we live..
    It is only by renewing the mind we can come to understand.
    As Jesus says unless we become as little children we will not entre the kingdom of God, or is it Heaven.
    So we must have a mind set of that of a child, and unless this is achieved where do we stand.
    This is a quick summary, I have had many strange things happen,
    Thanks for reading
    Mark

  13. #28

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin633 View Post
    Thank you once again.
    I will be as brief as possible, I am a meek kind of man, some would say a coward.
    But went through acts of theft and lying as a child but soon grew out of this habit.
    As I grew up the world beckoned me with open arms with understandings of wealth and female partnerships, ie fornication etc, which I didn't start until I was 18 years old. Slow starter I would say.
    Anyway it all reached a head about 20 years ago, I had been receiving counciling to no avail etc.
    I could take it no more and had turned to the bible for help, but with my mind the way it was I could not grasp any concept except the ten commandments and a few other facts, but I had nowhere left to turn and decided that it was either suicide or go up on a hill and shout to God. I have never trusted the church due to a few understandings that aren't worth going inton right now.
    Anyway I had decided to plead my case with God, I stood in the middle of this field with many people around and threw all my keys and money I had on me and with the loudest shout said God why have you forsaken me and fell to my knees and so bed openly.
    I waited for a sign as you do but nothing happened, so after some time decided to walk away from my wife and children and follow jesus and started walking, not on roads but through fields. Crying all the way, I walked for hours so set on this course of action.
    Eventually I reached a valley and stood looking into it feeling thirsty, when I noticed the clouds where drifting down into it and how beautiful it was, when a voice said GO BACK!?
    I new it wasn't my voice or even my thoughts that said this, I stood and thought I don't want to go back I wanted to follow Christ. But it seemed so real, I know I didn't say it but I didn't think it was God either. Why would God want me to go back if I was so willing to follow Jesus.
    Anyway I returned to where I threw all my stuff and of course it was gone.After 10 hours this was understandable and as I put my thumb up to maybe get a lift down the hill closer to home.
    So many cars just drove past, which was understandable when one stopped and asked if I had lost my keys which I replied yes and she told me they where on a picnic bench.
    So I go home and my wife is very worried but I just went to bed, disheartened about my ordeal, there was no saving me.
    The next morning I woke up and my mind was completely healed, no pain, no, anguish, no worries, no fear just a sense of peace and love that I had never felt before in my entire life.
    My wife was sceptical and said it could be bipolar. But someone or something had fixed my mind in an instant.
    I read the bible again knowing that God had helped me, and I understood a lot more. Then the jahovas came knocking and I took bible study skills with them, but they said ifor you don't become a jahovas witness you could not be saved and there attitude towards others were not in the keeping of the bible so I left them.
    The feeling of love didn't last very long, about 2 or 3 years, and slowly without realising it I was once again becoming I'll.
    I forgot about God and just carried on with my life as all others do till I was back at my worst point again, and once again going for therapy and tablets.
    I really do mean that I could not remember what I had done before even when I reached for my bible. I thought that it might be that I smoked or that I drank too much but after 6 months of stopping these nothing had made a difference to my mental state so I started drinking and smoking again.
    My mind was now so messed up I could not tell if reality was real or not and if I ended it it would not matter.
    Then one night I had a dream, not a normal dream but very vivid.
    I won't go into all the details but I was playing in a round room with a very large gentleman standing in front of a door and after a while of playing and exploring decided to go through the door but the man said I could not enter, where I replied I'm allowed I have a certificate and went searching but could not find it. So went up to the man to say I had lost it but I was being honest and I did have one but once again he said you are not going in.
    At this I wanted to see his face, I looked at him he was a man with authority and as I looked his face changed into a grotesque and depraved, disgusting man, at which time I awoke.
    I soon came to realise that the face that I had seen was a true reflection of myself.
    It didn't take me long to discover where it was I was going wrong and tried with all my strength to defeat the demon that I was feeding, basically cutting off his food.
    I would say it was like a heroine addict going cold turkey, it took the teachings of Jesus to try and defeat this monster, no devine intervention this time, I could have gone back up the hill and beg for forgiveness but I would have ended up in the same situation that I got myself in before so I had to try and learn the truth, I mean it has to be in there.
    And it is and it takes time for the mind to adjust to the truth.
    In the mean time I had to make my mind up about the church and after coming to understand that the jahovas whiteness had taken away and added text to the bible I was very vexed, and so went to a church for the first time in my life, still not fixed in understanding but to see the vicar for help.
    And after he finished his sermon which consisted of too verses from Mathew and then talking about golf and missing the mark, I could only say that some thing came out of me on 2 the feeling was like anew electric shock, I felt quite ill but managed not to fall.
    He eventually came and sat with me while I told him a little bit of my plight. And asked what I thought of his sermon where he mentioned the wailing and Nashing of teeth, but he didn't use it in the right context, where I informed him it is when we come to understand the truth we would truly be wailing.
    He asked me some strange questions and kept looking into my eyes, his eyes were very dark. He asked which church I was with and I told him this was the first time I had ever been to church, then after a few more questions got up and hide amongst some of his congregation.
    I said sorry for taking up the vicars time but they looked at him and said are you not going to give him a brochure, flustered he did so and pointed out how to contact him but I said sorry I can't read that, he nervously said can't you read where I replied yes I have just forgotten my glasses, and shot back into his small group of followers.
    It just seems so strange to me his persona was not right, it seemed like I scared him.
    Anyway, I came to understand when Jesus says that when our house has been swept clean we will walk about not knowing what to do and when we return we will take seven more demon's far worse than the ones that he had got rid of, the house is the mind the place we live..
    It is only by renewing the mind we can come to understand.
    As Jesus says unless we become as little children we will not entre the kingdom of God, or is it Heaven.
    So we must have a mind set of that of a child, and unless this is achieved where do we stand.
    This is a quick summary, I have had many strange things happen,
    Thanks for reading
    Mark
    I found that very interesting. My first thought is that you have a natural interest in Christ, but have had little foundation for it created in your life. Trouble is, being born brand new as a Christian, or starting out on a Christian journey, in a world hostile to Christianity, is a recipe for disaster unless you have support and are armed with a strong defense. How can you be expected to deal with cults like the JWs if you haven't first examined how they misuse biblical language? I myself got into a Christian cult for a short time for precisely that reason! I had no previous training in spotting cultic methods!

    Though these kinds of negative experiences, both with cults and with Christian churches, can affect the mind, these kinds of things are also typical elements of normal spiritual warfare for all Christians, mature or not, trained or not. Spiritual attacks can certainly make you feel confused and disillusioned--even crazy!

    Apply the principles of God's word the best you know how. Check with reliable, studied, mature Christians to see if you are interpreting the Bible correctly, and follow the principles of godly conduct the best you know how. This is armor against spiritual attack. The enemy loves to accuse you, to destroy your confidence, to disrupt your effectiveness in displaying the attributes and virtues of Christ. Hopefully, we'll talk some more...

  14. #29

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    I found that very interesting. My first thought is that you have a natural interest in Christ, but have had little foundation for it created in your life. Trouble is, being born brand new as a Christian, or starting out on a Christian journey, in a world hostile to Christianity, is a recipe for disaster unless you have support and are armed with a strong defense. How can you be expected to deal with cults like the JWs if you haven't first examined how they misuse biblical language? I myself got into a Christian cult for a short time for precisely that reason! I had no previous training in spotting cultic methods!

    Though these kinds of negative experiences, both with cults and with Christian churches, can affect the mind, these kinds of things are also typical elements of normal spiritual warfare for all Christians, mature or not, trained or not. Spiritual attacks can certainly make you feel confused and disillusioned--even crazy!

    Apply the principles of God's word the best you know how. Check with reliable, studied, mature Christians to see if you are interpreting the Bible correctly, and follow the principles of godly conduct the best you know how. This is armor against spiritual attack. The enemy loves to accuse you, to destroy your confidence, to disrupt your effectiveness in displaying the attributes and virtues of Christ. Hopefully, we'll talk some more...
    Thank you, it is a bit weird I admit but true. And to be honest That is all I have been trying to do is meet someone with a better understanding of the bible than me.
    My journey from the pit of hell was a struggle over 2 mind sets, one saying that what I was thinking was false (that the bible was not right and too much of a struggle to understand and what fun is there in the bible ) the other saying that sex is a natural thing that we do and is fun and if you turn to God you will not enjoy anything.
    So due to my vision I had to belive that it was this that maybe causing my mental illness but didn't understand.
    So every thought that came in, every desire to waste my seed so to speak I forbid myself to think or do.
    It was one of the hardest things to understand or do but over a few weeks my mind began to settle.
    Reading the bible once again I decided that what I was doing was right but there had to be more and it all stems from Jesus. Jesus said that nobody can get to heaven but through him. So how do we do that, I know it's not by asking him to come into your life by a prayer, for what good is it if we still live in sin and carry on living in the same way.
    I mean I didn't know I was suffering from Lust after the flesh I just enjoyed it.
    To truly turn to God we must do the will of God.
    There are some things that Jesus tells us but it is not really preached.
    Do not worry. I did always worry about my work, could I stop that.
    And when you come to understand that there is nothing to worry about you start to understand there literally is nothing to worry about.
    Do not fear. Once again we all live in fear in some shape or form, but what is there to fear really, we should have a healthy fear of God.
    And have a great fear of the one that can not only kill the body but can also destroy the soul.
    Do not worry about your life. So many struggle to get somewhere.
    Do not think about tomorrow. This one Has helped me the most, I know longer think ahead of time about my next job but leave it till I'm there then think.
    This has freed my mind up to be able to be calm, relaxed, at peace, and hopefully love may once more reside.
    Also Stop thinking of anything.
    I now know why he says we should not judge, it's because we were once as they where, and if we do judge we might as well judge ourselves.
    All these things are either feelings or thoughts nothing else, these are the things that we must get to grips with and keep them under control, it's how Satan attacks promising the world, the fun, the wealth, but they are all lies.
    Jesus shows us this when he was tempted, he was strong enough to withstand the pressure of Satan, this is why it's in the bible to show you it can be done.
    There is so much more when the mind becomes free, but to try and explain this to a fellow sinner what it is that is causing there illness they will not accept it.
    This is one of my bug bears that what good is all this information if nobody will listen or understand.
    Just to let you know the bible is the only book until late recently I have read.
    But have searched as it was for hidden treasure in other christian books such as Enoch, very good book.
    Thomas
    Solomon, and any other old writtings that were omitted from the bible by who knows who.
    We know the church is corrupted as it was in the days of Jesus, they have used doctrine and teaching to further there wealth and control, just like Constantine.Every one who has tried to speak out the church will destroy just as they did Jesus.
    Times have not changed and all I see is world filled with abomination.
    I understand why God has to do what he has to do, there is no chance for us to turn, at least till its to late.
    There will be wailing and Nashing of teeth.
    Thank you for taking the time to hear my words, and my search for someone with a better understanding of the bible will continue.
    Mark, God bless you

  15. #30

    Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin633 View Post
    Thank you, it is a bit weird I admit but true. And to be honest That is all I have been trying to do is meet someone with a better understanding of the bible than me.
    My journey from the pit of hell was a struggle over 2 mind sets, one saying that what I was thinking was false (that the bible was not right and too much of a struggle to understand and what fun is there in the bible ) the other saying that sex is a natural thing that we do and is fun and if you turn to God you will not enjoy anything.
    So due to my vision I had to belive that it was this that maybe causing my mental illness but didn't understand.
    I should think it could become a mental illness. However, this is the kind of thing we all face. Since man is born in sin, God sort of hides Himself. He watches to see what we will do, and gives us revelations of the truth to see if we can be trusted to follow it.

    He is the same one who said, "Don't throw your pearls before swine." We shouldn't try to prop up sinners, who will simply use their successes and wealth to inflict their sins upon others. So God doesn't entrust the wealth of His knowledge too quickly--not even to His own people. They have to gradually prove themselves in the small things, before they can move on to the bigger things.

    The world looks empty of God, as if it doesn't matter whether we do one thing or another. But then when we do things that feel wrong, we recognize that God does exist and that what we do matters. And so life is sort of like a test, to see if we will rationalize away our conscience or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    So every thought that came in, every desire to waste my seed so to speak I forbid myself to think or do.
    It was one of the hardest things to understand or do but over a few weeks my mind began to settle.
    Reading the bible once again I decided that what I was doing was right but there had to be more and it all stems from Jesus. Jesus said that nobody can get to heaven but through him. So how do we do that, I know it's not by asking him to come into your life by a prayer, for what good is it if we still live in sin and carry on living in the same way.
    I mean I didn't know I was suffering from Lust after the flesh I just enjoyed it.
    To truly turn to God we must do the will of God.
    There are some things that Jesus tells us but it is not really preached.
    Do not worry. I did always worry about my work, could I stop that.
    And when you come to understand that there is nothing to worry about you start to understand there literally is nothing to worry about.
    Do not fear. Once again we all live in fear in some shape or form, but what is there to fear really, we should have a healthy fear of God.
    And have a great fear of the one that can not only kill the body but can also destroy the soul.
    Do not worry about your life. So many struggle to get somewhere.
    Do not think about tomorrow. This one Has helped me the most, I know longer think ahead of time about my next job but leave it till I'm there then think.
    This has freed my mind up to be able to be calm, relaxed, at peace, and hopefully love may once more reside.
    Also Stop thinking of anything.
    I can see what happened to you. You were going by your feelings. You enjoyed Lust, and so you saw nothing wrong with those feelings and with those pleasures. However, when you began to follow your conscience, and saw the wrong in it, you acquired knowledge from God, or revelation, and began to obey it. Suddenly truths from God became more powerful than your feelings and the desire to satisfy your flesh. Good choice!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    I now know why he says we should not judge, it's because we were once as they where, and if we do judge we might as well judge ourselves.
    Critical truth here, in my estimation. When Christians repent and convert from following their flesh to following the Lord they sometimes want to look back, like Lot's wife. They begin to resent the loss of things the world gets to do. And they become bitter, attacking any imperfection in other Christians, to prop themselves up as superior. They sometimes become legalistic. But in becoming judgmental they lose their love, and only show that they are unhappy following the Lord. They have become double-minded, even as they follow Christ. They are like the church at Ephesus in the book of Revelation, and do everything right--yet without love.

    If we're ever to reach the lost we have to learn to not be overly judgmental. We only have to appeal to their own conscience. If they don't want to hear it, then they have made their choice. We shouldn't become bitter about that. We should only be glad we and a few others have made the right choice. The world will turn around us--not around them. They will fall off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    All these things are either feelings or thoughts nothing else, these are the things that we must get to grips with and keep them under control, it's how Satan attacks promising the world, the fun, the wealth, but they are all lies.
    Jesus shows us this when he was tempted, he was strong enough to withstand the pressure of Satan, this is why it's in the bible to show you it can be done.
    There is so much more when the mind becomes free, but to try and explain this to a fellow sinner what it is that is causing there illness they will not accept it.
    This is one of my bug bears that what good is all this information if nobody will listen or understand.
    Just to let you know the bible is the only book until late recently I have read.
    But have searched as it was for hidden treasure in other christian books such as Enoch, very good book.
    Thomas
    Solomon, and any other old writtings that were omitted from the bible by who knows who.
    We know the church is corrupted as it was in the days of Jesus, they have used doctrine and teaching to further there wealth and control, just like Constantine.Every one who has tried to speak out the church will destroy just as they did Jesus.
    Times have not changed and all I see is world filled with abomination.
    I understand why God has to do what he has to do, there is no chance for us to turn, at least till its to late.
    There will be wailing and Nashing of teeth.
    Thank you for taking the time to hear my words, and my search for someone with a better understanding of the bible will continue.
    Mark, God bless you
    I would warn you, Mark, not to follow other Christians in their bitterness displayed towards other Christians, who continually criticize the Church and church leaders, or even fellow Christians. We need to uphold true standards, but as you yourself said, we need to not become judgmental. No Christian and no Christian leader out there is perfect. And so much of what you will read about the historic Church will be tainted by hostile authors, or by judgmental authors who would prop themselves up in place of the historic Church. Or they would prop up their own church denomination or cult in place of the historic Church.

    Here's what I do. I try to be as lenient as possible with those who show a heart interested in following good paths as they present themselves. We're all on a journey and in different places on that journey. All God is looking for, in my opinion, are people willing to learn and people willing to accept the truth when presented with it.

    There are many who will not be corrected, and who just want to argue without learning. I wouldn't lose any sleep over bad choices that people make. We don't have to die for them--somebody has already done that.

    Nice talking with you, Mark. Take care.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question about different types of Christian beliefs
    By schlot in forum Apologetics and Evangelism
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 23rd 2012, 01:44 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Mar 12th 2011, 03:11 PM
  3. L O S T: One big allegory for Christian beliefs?
    By Lordistruth in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 30th 2010, 01:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •