Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

I知 new to this forum. I知 interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about. There is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. Fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

I was once diagnosed with a mental disorder. I was told by my Christian friends at the time that my brain is sick. If Christians believe this ideology, what is the name of the theory that proves mental disorder is a biochemical imbalance of the brain? Why did Jesus deliver people from demons and preach on this? If demons don't interact with people in any way..

Re: Christian beliefs on severe mental disorder

Quote Originally Posted by lightmyway View Post
    I’m new to this forum. I’m interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about. There is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. Fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

I was once diagnosed with a mental disorder. I was told by my Christian friends at the time that my brain is sick. If Christians believe this ideology, what is the name of the theory that proves mental disorder is a biochemical imbalance of the brain? Why did Jesus deliver people from demons and preach on this? If demons don't interact with people in any way..
    I do believe mental disorders can be either natural deformities of the brain or stress-related chemical imbalances within the brain. At the same time it must be admitted, I think, that demons play a role in causing stress in lives!

Let's say a man or woman leaves a gaping hole for Satan (or his demons) to enter in? Let's say there is a betrayal of some kind, and Satanic condemnation ensues. The stress in the brain can then cause a chemical imbalance, because the mind becomes divided against itself, due to the conflict between self-condemnation and self-rationalization.

I think if it is a case of actual possession the demon can be cast out, and the person delivered. If the problem is as in King Nebuchadnezzar a gross betrayal of Deity then deliverance may be over an extended period of time. In the case of King Saul there was a medical solution--the music of King David, playing religious music.

There are no easy answers for mental stress and related disorders. But we should not judge. We should apply God's grace always, looking for healing. We should bear in mind that Christ wore a "crown of thorns." He died for our human stress, experiencing it for himself.

Blog Entries

I'm glad that you join, welcome to the board.

I have a history with Psychology from the patient end, I have been to see Psychiatrist's and I've been in a Behavior Health Hospital for nine days. I have never received any diagnosis though; my brother told me once that I was schizophrenic, but he is not qualified to make a diagnosis.

I have a Chemical Imbalance, but I say that not all mental ailments come under the umbrella of Chemical Imbalance, it doesn't for sure. My Chemical Imbalance makes me more emotional than an occasion may call for. I've gotten real emotional during an animated (cartoon) movie. I have to tell people "This isn't me, it's a false emotion". I really hate my Chemical Imbalance; I can't talk from my heart without being flooded and swept over the dam of emotion's.

Concerning Demons, they are as real as you and me and many that has demons manifested in there lives have been misdiagnosed as having a mental disorder. Having said that, there are real mental sickness and dysfunctional brains.

Thanks for your replies. I just feel confused by the whole thing. Honestly my diagnosis come about when I was researching the paranormal obsessing about dark entities channelling these spirits etc. I thought at the time it was a case of curiosity killed the cat. But it was my ex-wife at the time that pushed I have chemical imbalance, she was a nurse. Psychiatry has a history of getting things wrong so I have to be sure I can trust their claims.
    If they are right. I guess it puts into doubt my personal faith as well. I’m struggling to believe. With something spiritual/religious I need something to experience or feel first.

Blog Entries

Many spiritual problems are being treated with drugs and Psychological analogies, etc, when it is not of the psychi (brain or mins), neither is it physically, but can only be address with with a healthy relationship with Jesus Christ and a deeper knowledge his word - the Bible.

Bless you and lead you to wholeness in Christ Jesus.

Are they mental disorders or works of the flesh? Mans definition or Gods definition?

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Jude
    II Corinthians 4:3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

I’m new to this forum. I’m interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about. There is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. Fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

Thanks for your replies. I just feel confused by the whole thing. Honestly my diagnosis come about when I was researching the paranormal obsessing about dark entities channelling these spirits etc. I thought at the time it was a case of curiosity killed the cat. But it was my ex-wife at the time that pushed I have chemical imbalance, she was a nurse. Psychiatry has a history of getting things wrong so I have to be sure I can trust their claims.
    If they are right. I guess it puts into doubt my personal faith as well. I’m struggling to believe. With something spiritual/religious I need something to experience or feel first.
    lightmyway, welcome to the board! I see many good replies so far so I'm gonna start with a question.

Do you attend church and have a pastor who you can speak with concerning this specific topic?

I ask this because on the internet, and while all the many replies are Holy Spirit led... until you deal with this face to face with church leadership who can deal with this IF they discern it is demonic/demonization in nature... you will never be free or liberated from a supernatural problem. Only with knowledgeable church leadership, will a supernatural related problem as you detail, be solved and ended, followed by needed post counseling as well.

If they counseling (pre) you and determine this is natural and that there is a need for psychiatric or medical involvement, they will help you as well to find the resources that you will need to be treated properly ALONG with continued (post) faith based counseling while you are being medically treated.
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

Blog Entries

We have diseases today that were nonexistent even a couple of hundred years ago so it's no big stretch to figure out that changes - by man and otherwise - to the planet have brought changes to our bodies as well.

I know this, chemical imbalances exist now and can be treated with medication and in some cases behavioral therapy.
    Demon possession as described in the Bible happened exactly the way it was written and God and others exorcised the demons. If we don't believe that, if that isn't true or they got it "wrong" we can't believe any of it can we?

Either all of it was true or all of it is suspect right?

The point is that disease and suffering existed in biblical times just as it exists today and there is no real reason to equate demonic possession with mental illness. If someone were truly possessed today no amount of therapy and medication would help.

If someone merely has an illness an exorcism wouldn't help them.

The best course of action would be to seek out a Christian pastor and a Christian mental health professional ( and some serve in both capacities ) for help and counseling.
    Oh, come, all ye faithful,
    Joyful and triumphant.

O come, let us adore Him Christ the Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by undertheblood View Post
    I'm glad that you join, welcome to the board.

I have a history with Psychology from the patient end, I have been to see Psychiatrist's and I've been in a Behavior Hospital for nine days. I have never received any diagnosis though; my brother told me once that I was schizophrenic, but he is not qualified to make a diagnosis.

I have a Chemical Imbalance, but I say that not all mental ailments come under the umbrella of Chemical Imbalance, it doesn't for sure. My Chemical Imbalance makes me more emotional than an occasion may call for. I've gotten real emotional during an animated (cartoon) movie. I have to tell people "This isn't me, it's a false emotion". I really hate my Chemical Imbalance; I can't talk from my heart without being flooded and swept over the dam of emotion's.

Concerning Demons, they are as real as you and me and many that has demons manifested in there lives have been misdiagnosed as having a mental disorder. Having said that, there are real mental sickness and dysfunctional brains.
    King Saul was afflicted by demons, but was only occasionally overcome by passion/emotions. In other words, his was not a case of possession, but rather, one of oppression. I believe that some illnesses can also be a case of demon-oppression, and not always demon possession.

When I say we should not judge what I mean is that we don't always know why God has put us under a variety of oppressions from Satan. Paul himself identified the source of his illness as an oppression from Satan, a "thorn in the flesh," a "messenger" from Satan.

Sometimes we carry the left over judgment from our ancestors because I think we carry the fallen spiritual nature of Adam, as well as the fallen spiritual nature of our more immediate ancestors. I don't think this is just physical heredity, such as DNA. I think it is also a *spiritual heredity.*

Christ came because he had to completely carry this Adamic heredity of sin, in order to forgive it and to thus find a way past it legally. Even though we may experience the effects of this hereditary sin, just as Christ suffered it, this does not mean we aren't free in a legal sense. If we are Christians and live for him we have been set free legally. We suffer only to forgive, and not for purposes of condemnation.

There are no easy answers. We do not get instant deliverance from our fallen nature when we are saved. But we do receive a new nature that is free of all condemnation, in particular when we are living in it.

Emotions run in a wrong direction when we get errant impulses from our brain. We need to learn to ignore those false emotions and false impulses, focusing instead on the love of God and on our liberation from condemnation.

A really cool movie to watch, in regard to mental illness, is "A Beautiful Mind." It's not a Christian movie, but it's very insightful in the sense that this sick man somehow managed to learn how to ignore his false visions, and completed his life with dignity and honor.

Blog Entries

I知 new to this forum. I知 interested to know what the Christian perspective is on severe mental disorder. What used to be taken as demonic oppression or possession is now believed to be a chemical imbalance of the brain by misfiring neurons. It seems most believe and trust in doctors because they claim they know what they are talking about. There is no blood test or brain scan for schizophrenia for example. The amount of people being diagnosed with mental illness has spiralled out of control over the years. If the medications are working why the rapid increase of disability pensions for mental health. Fact is, there are some psychiatrists and professors claiming there is no scientific model behind mental disorder.

Brother, you have raised a very important topic and you'll be surprised at the diversity of opinions you'll get.

My belief is that Satan and his agents actually attack people with all manner of infirmity, mental disorder is just one of them. Naturally, whatever the ailment, our carnal understanding of the disease enables us (medical science) to give it a name, e.g. mental disorder, etc. But in the spirit realm, there are always demons behind that infirmity. Jesus proved this in scripture by casting out the demons behind the problem and the victim is healed.

One might also ask, what happens when medical science has an answer, as in having an effective cure? This does not any sense negate the presence of demons facilitating the sickness to start with, so when an effective cure (medical or spiritual, as in prayer) is administered, the demons simply leave to cause problems elsewhere. And hallelujah, the person is healed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    We have diseases today that were nonexistent even a couple of hundred years ago so it's no big stretch to figure out that changes - by man and otherwise - to the planet have brought changes to our bodies as well.

I know this, chemical imbalances exist now and can be treated with medication and in some cases behavioral therapy.
    Demon possession as described in the Bible happened exactly the way it was written and God and others exorcised the demons. If we don't believe that, if that isn't true or they got it "wrong" we can't believe any of it can we?

Either all of it was true or all of it is suspect right?

The point is that disease and suffering existed in biblical times just as it exists today and there is no real reason to equate demonic possession with mental illness. If someone were truly possessed today no amount of therapy and medication would help.

If someone merely has an illness an exorcism wouldn't help them.

The best course of action would be to seek out a Christian pastor and a Christian mental health professional ( and some serve in both capacities ) for help and counseling.
    I agree with you.

However, I would add that from a spiritual pov, I believe that demons are behind most diseases we suffer. There is a difference between "demon possession" and demons simply causing one to suffer a disease. The former is more complex and often difficult for science to figure out, but the later responds to medical intervention.

As per your reference to "our planet and the consequent changes to our bodies", the demons behind the diseases suffered by the people in the Bible are still very much alive and around today. Until they are judged at the GWTJ, they are still doing to us today what they did to the bible generation. That is, cause problems to God's creation saved and unsaved. However, the changes in each generation (e.g. food, eating habits, lifestyle and level of immorality) determines the manner of sicknesses that generation suffers. Two hundred years ago, gout was a serious ailment that took the lives of many.

In the same way, future generations may look back to our generation and wonder why some of the health challenges we are grappling with now took so many lives? The way I see it, the fact that future generation may find answers to diseases that defied our efforts does not negate the role of the demons behind them. So as society and generation evolve, the demons (with endless life for now) also adapt to cause problems that the given generation will identify with.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    However, I would add that from a spiritual pov, I believe that demons are behind most diseases we suffer.
    How about from a Biblical point of view. I don't see in scripture where most diseases are attributed to scripture. Can you please provide some scripture for clarification.
    Thank you.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    I agree with you.

However, I would add that from a spiritual pov, I believe that demons are behind most diseases we suffer. There is a difference between "demon possession" and demons simply causing one to suffer a disease. The former is more complex and often difficult for science to figure out, but the later responds to medical intervention.
    I'm not seeing that either. Can you show us the scriptural foundation that helped you come to this conclusion?
    Oh, come, all ye faithful,
    Joyful and triumphant.

O come, let us adore Him Christ the Lord!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    How about from a Biblical point of view. I don't see in scripture where most diseases are attributed to scripture. Can you please provide some scripture for clarification.
    Thank you.
    My opinion is based on the premise that God's plan for us is for good (Jeremiah 29:11). Therefore, infirmities and diseases are caused by Satan and his agents. You might then ask, what about what God said to ancient Israel for example, "that if they do not obey the law, curses and sickness will come upon them (Deut 28:15-25)? Look at it this way, God personally doesn't give anyone sickness and affliction, but as we see in Job's case God withdrew his protection and Satan, ever roaming as a lion seeking whom to devour, quickly attacks. And such attack could be in any shape or form, including any choice of sickness or death, etc.

I am not saying this is holy writ, just my humble unstanding....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I'm not seeing that either. Can you show us the scriptural foundation that helped you come to this conclusion?
    OK. See post #14.

Thread Information