Thread: How do you tell if someone, at least nominally, is a Christian?

How do you tell if someone, at least nominally, is a Christian?

I want to start an informal group in college. What I want to do is start some close relationships, but I don't want to cause weaker brothers to stumble and I would prefer the company of unsaved because my purpose is to evangelize, not preach to the choir. I want to put up signs around my campus with my e-mail address for anyone interested in joining. I can only have at most five or six people.

My original plan was to bluntly put "No Christians Allowed" on the sign, but I feel like something more subtle is called for. Since the group requires an e-mail to join, I figured I could ask beforehand some questions. What sort of questions could I ask to obliquely find out if the person, at least in name only, is a Christian? Ask for favorite philosophers (see if I get Kant and Nietzche or Augustine and Lewis) and musicians (see if I get Metallica Swedish House Mafia or TobyMac and Amy Grant)?

Blog Entries

Re: How do you tell if someone, at least nominally, is a Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonathan View Post
    I want to start an informal group in college. What I want to do is start some close relationships, but I don't want to cause weaker brothers to stumble and I would prefer the company of unsaved because my purpose is to evangelize, not preach to the choir. I want to put up signs around my campus with my e-mail address for anyone interested in joining. I can only have at most five or six people.

My original plan was to bluntly put "No Christians Allowed" on the sign, but I feel like something more subtle is called for. Since the group requires an e-mail to join, I figured I could ask beforehand some questions. What sort of questions could I ask to obliquely find out if the person, at least in name only, is a Christian? Ask for favorite philosophers (see if I get Kant and Nietzche or Augustine and Lewis) and musicians (see if I get Metallica Swedish House Mafia or TobyMac and Amy Grant)?
    Since you asked about "nominal" Christians...You could ask for religious preference. That way you could at least find out which are nominally Christians. Although, you will end up weeding out a lot of non-christians, because a lot of non-Christians say they're Christian.
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

"My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

Thread Information