Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Coin Semedi Headdress

Silver Coin Semedi Headdress

In Luke 15, the Bible tells a story about a woman who loses a silver coin or drachma. Some biblical scholars presume that this is part of a jewish headdress known as a semedi. What I was wondering if there is actual evidence that this was common in 1st century palestine.

The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges, Volume 39

Blog Entries

Re: Silver Coin Semedi Headdress

Quote Originally Posted by archon64 View Post
    In Luke 15, the Bible tells a story about a woman who loses a silver coin or drachma. Some biblical scholars presume that this is part of a jewish headdress known as a semedi. What I was wondering if there is actual evidence that this was common in 1st century palestine.

Luke 15:8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? 9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost. 10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

As I do not have that book, how do they get the idea that the piece of silver comes from that headdress in those few verses? Did They know for sure there were ten coins on that headdress?

And also, what would a headdress have to do with the repentance of a sinning Believer?

Because this parable is a warning for the Believer. As a Believer, one can be lost through the lusts of the world and continuous sin. Yet, the Holy Spirit will work hard to bring them back to Jesus through Repentance before their death, or before the judgement of the Believer through their works (as manifested through the fruit of the heart) at the appearing of Christ on the clouds of Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by archon64 View Post

It's irrelevant and not the point of the story.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

I typed "semedi" into Google Image and it came up with only Eastern Indian mysticism images.

Blog Entries

They claim that these small coins were worn as a sort of ceremonial fringe around the forehead of women and we can only assume that they use the Talmud as their source.
    Not being versed in Hebrew I've no idea if semedi is a name for the headdress or a certain part of the forehead but it's immaterial isn't it? The point of the parable is a reaffirmation that if one of Christs sheep is lost He will work diligently to return them to the flock.
    Oh, come, all ye faithful,
    Joyful and triumphant.

O come, let us adore Him Christ the Lord!

Blog Entries

What was it 8 or 10 coins? It was a sign of a maidens virginity, if the tribal leaders or priest would take a coin then she would most probably not be able to marry, so swept the house until she finds it, which young Israeli girl of the time wouldn't.

Blog Entries

Where are you getting that from? There's nothing in Scriptures or other things I've read that even hinted that this was some kind of virginity symbol. I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just saying I've never heard or read that before.
    Joyful and triumphant.

Blog Entries

In Deut 22:13-21, there is a mention of a spurned young wife's "tokens of her virginity", that her own father or mother can "take and bring out".

Not the best evidence, I have a book on the customs and times of Israel which I will search later.

Quote Originally Posted by undertheblood View Post
    In Deut 22:13-21, there is a mention of a spurned young wife's "tokens of her virginity", that her own father or mother can "take and bring out".

Not the best evidence, I have a book on the customs and times of Israel which I will search later.
    Deuteronomy 22:13-21 NIV

13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

The token it speaks of here regarding proof of virginity had nothing to do with coins. It had to do with the cloth. The bloody cloth would signify that she was a virgin. A clean cloth signified she wasn't.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Blog Entries

Now I understand where you're coming from.

That has nothing to do with what was described in the parable. The cloth you are speaking of would be laid on the wedding bed like a sheet- not worn on the head with coins. It's two completely separate things.
    Joyful and triumphant.

Blog Entries

Good research, is it impossible to sew metal object into the cloth.

Ronnie, out.

Blog Entries

I am putting a certain numbers of coins to be "tokens of virginity" on a shelf, not throwing the idea out.

I now think that there is also be validity in it being a bed sheet of the virgin slept on while a maiden in her father's house. If she was a virgin there would be no blood on the sheet, if she had layed with a man the hymen would have broken and thus blood. Unsubstantiated idea, maybe there were specially minted coins that the priest or elders could take one, just sayin.

Blog Entries

No...the point is that the OP asked about the parable and "headdress" mentioned in the Cambridge book.

What you're bringing up is completely out of context and part of a completely different thing. No one wore the bridal sheet on their heads. The thing spoken of in the parable was more likely a much - very much- smaller piece of cloth folded into a tri-corner and held in place by a chain with coins attached.

Edit to add: Actually, the headdress isn't even mentioned in the parable just the lost coin. If it had anything to do with a headdress or any other kind of cloth is just speculation.

I get what you're asking and you're right in your last post about the sheet. I've still no idea where you're thinking of coins though.
    Joyful and triumphant.

Blog Entries

My bad! Boy, I have never gotten off topic like that before.

Blog Entries

It's no big deal! I've done the same thing before myself in different ways and so has most everyone else that's ever posted on a forum.

I assume you saw a correlation and now realize there wasn't one. It never hurts to ask questions or bring up something you feel is important.
    Joyful and triumphant.

Thread Information