Page 1 of 18 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 265

Thread: Why can't God sin?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,239
    Blog Entries
    2

    Why can't God sin?

    Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

    John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

    Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.


    God created all things. God created all matter and all laws that govern that matter. God created all spirits and all laws that govern those spirits. God created all flesh, and all laws that govern that flesh. And, God Begot His Son in that same flesh.

    Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

    Sin is revealed by those laws which God created.

    If this is indeed true, God CAN NOT SIN, because God is above all of His creation, including the laws:

    Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

    So then, if Jesus was made flesh (John 1:14), He was placed INTO the creation of God the Father (and the Word), yet still subject to the Laws given by God. Therefore in the flesh, He indeed had the potential to sin, being in Creation, thus under the law. That is why Jesus said of Himself and of those to follow Him:

    Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

    And so, Jesus set an example to all when He lived a perfect life before men and DID NOT FALL INTO TEMPTATION, even though being tempted, He very well could have chosen to sin, just like we do.

    Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

    Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.


    So then we too should walk Like Jesus Christ without sin.

    1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.

  2. #2

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Why is there a " (4D) " in the title?
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Monrovia Ca
    Posts
    3,355
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier_of_Faith View Post
    Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

    John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

    Nehemiah 8:8 So they read in the book in the law of God distinctly, and gave the sense, and caused them to understand the reading.


    God created all things. God created all matter and all laws that govern that matter. God created all spirits and all laws that govern those spirits. God created all flesh, and all laws that govern that flesh. And, God Begot His Son in that same flesh.

    Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

    Sin is revealed by those laws which God created.

    If this is indeed true, God CAN NOT SIN, because God is above all of His creation, including the laws:

    Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

    So then, if Jesus was made flesh (John 1:14), He was placed INTO the creation of God the Father (and the Word), yet still subject to the Laws given by God. Therefore in the flesh, He indeed had the potential to sin, being in Creation, thus under the law. That is why Jesus said of Himself and of those to follow Him:

    Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

    And so, Jesus set an example to all when He lived a perfect life before men and DID NOT FALL INTO TEMPTATION, even though being tempted, He very well could have chosen to sin, just like we do.

    Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

    Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.


    So then we too should walk Like Jesus Christ without sin.

    1 Corinthians 15:34 Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
    God cannot sin or break His own Law because the Law is a Light and God is Perfect Light. It is not in His nature to sin. This is the way that He is above the Law. Where there is Perfect Love (in God), there is no need for Law. Laws are for imperfect people.

    The more we love, the less we will sin. It is really that simple.

    When we sin, we are choosing not to walk in love, towards either God or man or both. (You cannot love God without loving man)
    1 John 1:7- But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

    2 Corinthians 7:1- Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

    "My heart was once hard and dark. Then God turned on the Light and the Water."

  4. #4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Great breakdown.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,801
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    1Jn_3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

    There is no law controlling the actions of God so God cannot sin. Secondly, a law must be above and created by something higher than those that must follow a law. There is no one above God so no law could even be made that rules over God.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,801
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    Why is there a " (4D) " in the title?
    The Thread starter is adding that in their thread titles as of late. I don't know why so only they can answer why.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  7. #7

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    No, neither God nor Jesus could sin. It would contradict their divine nature. We can sin because we are not God. But Jesus could not sin because he was, in fact, God.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,801
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    No, neither God nor Jesus could sin. It would contradict their divine nature. We can sin because we are not God. But Jesus could not sin because he was, in fact, God.
    Jesus could have sinned because he was human and humans can sin. His Godly nature does not affect that. There were and are laws against sins and Jesus could have broken one of them but God the Father can't sin because no law regulates his behavior.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    172

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    4D = 4 Discussion?

  10. #10

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    Jesus could have sinned because he was human and humans can sin. His Godly nature does not affect that. There were and are laws against sins and Jesus could have broken one of them but God the Father can't sin because no law regulates his behavior.
    Your argument hinges on the definition of "human." You deny that there are different kinds of humans, or that the differences can be different with respect to free will. I disagree because my definition of "human" does not require for all humans that they be able to choose like regular human beings. Regular human beings can choose to sin. But Jesus is not a regular human being. He cannot choose to sin. Therefore, not all human beings are defined as being able to sin.

    That is, your argument is based on circular reasoning. All humans can choose to sin because that's what, you say, all humans can do. But if it is true that Jesus, even though he is a true human, cannot sin, then it is *not* true that all humans can choose to sin.

    The formula you use is common and runs like this. Jesus was full God and full human. The God part could not sin, but the human part could. But that is a contradiction. If he was fully God then he could *not* have sinned--not even as a full human. There is no means of separating the natures and giving each nature a contradictory capacity. If God cannot sin, then neither could Jesus sin because he was fully God.

    I might add that a lot of the confusion comes with the discussion of the two natures of Christ, one divine and one human. The divine characteristics of Christ are truly divine, but they are also subsumed under his human identity.

    Jesus' divine characteristics, therefore, do not include characteristics that make the Father distinct as a person, or the Spirit distinct as a person. Jesus is not, that is, the Father, nor is Jesus the Spirit.

    Jesus is, technically, deity in the flesh. His omnipotence, omnipresence, and otherwise infinite characteristics, are associated with him by his perfect union with both the Father and the Spirit. He does not contain these characteristics in his flesh as a man, because in that case his deity is being revealed in only a single location.

    So I would say that Jesus' human nature is nonetheless divine, and cannot be associated with the choice to sin. Deity *cannot* by definition sin!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    16,813

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    No, neither God nor Jesus could sin. It would contradict their divine nature. We can sin because we are not God. But Jesus could not sin because he was, in fact, God.
    The same has to be true per the following as well then. Let me borrow some of your words though, if you don't mind.

    neither God nor Jesus could DIE. It would contradict their divine nature. We can DIE because we are not God. But Jesus could not DIE because he was, in fact, God.

    Do you not see the problem here with your reasoning on this?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,831

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by ewq1938 View Post
    There is no law controlling the actions of God so God cannot sin. Secondly, a law must be above and created by something higher than those that must follow a law. There is no one above God so no law could even be made that rules over God.
    We sin when we act contrary to our nature, which is His Image so, everything you said hear is false, except "There is no law controlling the actions of God" but there's no law controlling the actions of man either because love (God) doesn't control.

  13. #13

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    The same has to be true per the following as well then. Let me borrow some of your words though, if you don't mind.

    neither God nor Jesus could DIE. It would contradict their divine nature. We can DIE because we are not God. But Jesus could not DIE because he was, in fact, God.

    Do you not see the problem here with your reasoning on this?
    You have to line things up properly if you want to argue differences between God the Father and God the Son. God the Son by definition is God revealed in human form. It is not a revelation of the full spectrum of divine characteristics. Rather, the full spectrum of divine characteristics are subsumed under this strictly *human revelation* of Deity.

    So when you talk about the death of Jesus, the man, you're talking not about the death of Deity in all of his divine characteristics, but only about the death of God in human form. This is not the cessation of Divine existence!

    So no, God the Father could not die in the revelation of His Person as Father, because that Person is defined exclusive of all temporal characteristics. But yes, God the Son could die without sacrificing Deity in the full spectrum of His characteristics. He could put off his temporal flesh and continue to exist as God in human form through his continuance as a human spirit. He continued to exist as a human spirit even while his body was temporarily put off.

    But the matter of sin is very different, and has nothing to do with temporal characteristics. It doesn't involve any difference between God the Father and God the Son with respect to the divine nature. Neither Person of the Trinity could sin, because God cannot, in any form, sin. He cannot sin as Father, and He cannot sin as Son. God cannot sin period, because it is intrinsic to who He is. It is His essential character in whatever form He chooses to appear. Appearing as a man He is no less God appearing, and to be consistent His nature dictates that He *cannot* sin even in the form of man.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,801
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Your argument hinges on the definition of "human." You deny that there are different kinds of humans, or that the differences can be different with respect to free will. I disagree because my definition of "human" does not require for all humans that they be able to choose like regular human beings. Regular human beings can choose to sin. But Jesus is not a regular human being. He cannot choose to sin. Therefore, not all human beings are defined as being able to sin.
    Well that's simply wrong. All humans can sin because all have free will. Jesus' will was to obey his father, only asking politely that the father change his will a few times but asking is allowed. What was miraculous about Jesus, which your view complete erases and ignores, if that he could have sinned yet his willpower was so strong that he was morally capable or not sinning. Your view makes it impossible for him to sin so living a sinless life was meaningless. Your version of Jesus is unimpressive and is a non-valid sacrifice for sins. Mine is highly qualified having avoided sin his whole life which no other human could have done. Sure, being God and the Son of the Father helped but he was not immune to sin as you claim. Far from it.

    That is, your argument is based on circular reasoning. All humans can choose to sin because that's what, you say, all humans can do. But if it is true that Jesus, even though he is a true human, cannot sin, then it is *not* true that all humans can choose to sin.
    Jesus was a true human! He had to be to be the symbolic lamb! Anything else would disqualify him.



    The formula you use is common and runs like this. Jesus was full God and full human. The God part could not sin, but the human part could. But that is a contradiction.
    No it's not. Do you think he couldn't die because he was God? Obviously he did die, the human part of him...the same part of him that could have sinned. The contradicts exist solely in your flawed view.


    If he was fully God then he could *not* have sinned--not even as a full human. There is no means of separating the natures and giving each nature a contradictory capacity. If God cannot sin, then neither could Jesus sin because he was fully God.
    Same flawed logic that God cannot die too.


    Jesus is not, that is, the Father, nor is Jesus the Spirit.
    That's remarkably accurate but it's the only thing that is in your post.

    He does not contain these characteristics in his flesh as a man, because in that case his deity is being revealed in only a single location.
    Exactly why he could have sinned and could die despite being God. It was taking on humanity in a personal way that made sin and death possible.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    11,801
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: (4D) Why can't God sin?

    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    The same has to be true per the following as well then. Let me borrow some of your words though, if you don't mind.

    neither God nor Jesus could DIE. It would contradict their divine nature. We can DIE because we are not God. But Jesus could not DIE because he was, in fact, God.

    Do you not see the problem here with your reasoning on this?
    haha, yup .

    Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    We sin when we act contrary to our nature
    Not according to scripture which precisely defines what sin is. You are inventing your own definition for what sin is.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 1 guests)

  1. randyk,
  2. Noeb,
  3. BrianW

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •