Thread: Revelation 1:10

Revelation 1:10

Rev 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lordís day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day - In the Spirit is an interesting phrase. To find it's meaning here we must look elsewhere. Rom 8:5-9 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. To be in the Spirit is to be spiritually minded. Ps 1:1-2 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. In the Spirit describes someone whose mind is consumed with the LORD's truth. Being in the Spirit must be closely related to or the same as being filled with the Spirit, the result of which is found in Eph 5:18-20 ...be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. I can think of no better way to be on the LORD's Day. The Lord's day is the day of the week on which Jesus rose from the dead. Though John may have been physically alone he is telling us he was filled with God's truth, having thankfulness in his heart and probably a song on his lips.

a great voice, as of a trumpet - A trumpet, in Bible times, was an instrument used to get people's attention. A trumpet was heard as Israel gathered at the foot of Mt. Sinai after their deliverance from Egypt. Ex 19:16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. A trumpet will be heard when Jesus returns. 1 Thess 4:16-18 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words. For many the sound of a trumpet brought fear, for God's people it should bring peace. Here in The Revelation the great voice, as the sound of a trumpet, calls us to pay attention.

Re: Revelation 1:10

Interesting post. The "Lord's Day" is also an interesting phrase. Sabbatarians maintain that the "Lord's day" is the Sabbath. They maintain that Jesus said he was Lord of the Sabbath. However, in all 5 books that John wrote, he always referred to the Sabbath as "the Sabbath." If Revelation 1:10 was the Sabbath, would not John have said, "I was in the Spirit on the Sabbath?" This proves to me that the Lord's Day was not the Sabbath, but the first day of the week -- Sunday.
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Thread Information