Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The day of salvation - when did it start and when will it be finished?

The day of salvation - when did it start and when will it be finished?

"For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." (2Cor6:2)

When did the day of salvation start and when will it be finished?

Re: The day of salvation - when did it start and when will it be finished?

Should I put here what I had put in the other thread, for this?

[quoting that post]

[re: behold, now is the day of salvation."]

Well, it seems to me to be somewhat like John 5:25 (except instead of "day" it uses "hour"):

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear [those having heard (active)] shall live." [note: I don't believe this refers to deceased persons]

I don't see this ^ as limited to the time of Jesus' earthly ministry [first advent], or solely to the Church age, but that this even will pertain to those in the future trib (even though it uses "hour," and perhaps in a similar way to your question/verse [which uses "day"]). Does this seem [biblically] reasonable? Why not?

[end quoting]

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.ph...83#post3417883

Looking forward to reading others' responses and the discussion.

adding this: quoting Isaiah 49:8

nasb:
    "Thus says the LORD, "In a favorable time I have answered You, And in a day of salvation I have helped You; And I will keep You and give You for a covenant of the people, To restore the land, to make them inherit the desolate heritages;"

kjv:
    "Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;"

[the phrase "the people" is often used to refer to "Israel," isn't it?]

[and verse 6 had just said]

"And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto [H5704] the end of the earth."

[see also Luke 2:30-32] [also Acts 3:13,26 says "His Servant Jesus" (referring to His earthly ministry before His death [speak unto Israel first])]

okay, now I believe I should add this:

Hebrews 5:5-10 -
    5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. [Acts 13:33 indicates that this phrase refers to the day of His Resurrection]
    6 As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
    7 Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from [out from - ek] death, and was heard in that he feared;
    8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
    9 And being made perfect [having been perfected], he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
    10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

Quote Originally Posted by bibelleser View Post
    "For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." (2Cor6:2)

Willkommen to the Forum.

There are 5 meanings of a "day" in the Bible. They are;
    1. The period of daylight - sunrise to sunset (e.g. Gen.1:5)
    2. 24 hours - the evening and the morning (e.g. Gen.1:8)
    3. An event like the "Day of the Lord" (e.g. 2nd Pet.3:10)
    4. 1 year - mostly used in prophecy (e.g. Nu.14:34; Ezek.4:6; Dan.9:24-26)
    5. 1,000 years is as a DAY to God (Ps.90:4; 2nd Pet.3:8)

Since the context is the Christians being reconciled to God "the" day must be number 3, an event of the Lord - the day in which a Christian was saved. But I judge that there is more to it. "Day" can also mean the time of spiritual light, as in 1st Thessalonians 5:5. "Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness", and in John 9:4. "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." See also John 11:9-10 and 12:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Willkommen to the Forum.

There are 5 meanings of a "day" in the Bible. They are;
    1. The period of daylight - sunrise to sunset (e.g. Gen.1:5)
    2. 24 hours - the evening and the morning (e.g. Gen.1:8)
    3. An event like the "Day of the Lord" (e.g. 2nd Pet.3:10)
    4. 1 year - mostly used in prophecy (e.g. Nu.14:34; Ezek.4:6; Dan.9:24-26)
    5. 1,000 years is as a DAY to God (Ps.90:4; 2nd Pet.3:8)

Since the context is the Christians being reconciled to God "the" day must be number 3, an event of the Lord - the day in which a Christian was saved. But I judge that there is more to it. "Day" can also mean the time of spiritual light, as in 1st Thessalonians 5:5. "Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness", and in John 9:4. "I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work." See also John 11:9-10 and 12:35.
    Hallo Walls,

vielen Dank für das Willkommen.

I would say there is only one definition of the word "day" in the Bible, namely in Gen 1:5 only. If I consider the Bible to be self-explanatory I can't find any other definition of the word "day" in my Bible. However, according to God's own definition the word "day" has indeed two different meanings:

1. the time of light, the daytime, is called: Day
    2. the time of darkness together with the daytime is also called: Day (here: the first day)

So, the word "day" means either the light day or the full day (including the night) and the context always decides which of both is meant. Therefore, I would say, there are only two meanings of the word "day", not five (e.g. your item no. 5 does not define the word "day" even though I know that there is indeed one day taking 1.000 years, but this is no definition of the word "day").

In the Bible as well as in Judaism the full day always starts with its night as its first section followed by its light day as its second section. However, the full day as well as it's second section - both periods! - are just called day.

This is my understanding of the biblical word "day".

As far as your answer in view of my question is concerned, I don't think the day of salvation (2Cor6:2) is a day in which a Christian was saved. Without any doubt it is absolutely important for all of us to know that we are saved by our Lord Jesus Christ, and it's also very good to remember the day when this took place in our life (even though not all Christians know the exact date). But this view would create many individual days of salvation. However, the Bible speaks about only one day of salvation.

As people know, 2Cor6:2 is a quotation from Isa 49:8 and the context from Isaiah is the Messiah. That's why I think, the day of salvation is focussing Christ, not the people or the Christians (even though they have also big profit from that day).

Therefore, I'm of the opinion that the day of salvation is by no means an event (a day is always "time" not "event") but somehow a period of time in God's plan of salvation and the question now is: Which time is meant? When did the day of salvation start and when will it be finished?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineWatermark View Post
    Should I put here what I had put in the other thread, for this?

[quoting that post]

[re: behold, now is the day of salvation."]

Well, it seems to me to be somewhat like John 5:25 (except instead of "day" it uses "hour"):

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear [those having heard (active)] shall live." [note: I don't believe this refers to deceased persons]

I don't see this ^ as limited to the time of Jesus' earthly ministry [first advent], or solely to the Church age, but that this even will pertain to those in the future trib (even though it uses "hour," and perhaps in a similar way to your question/verse [which uses "day"]). Does this seem [biblically] reasonable? Why not?
    As far as John 5:25 is concerned, I believe Jesus talked about two different hours: the coming hour, still future, (see also verse 28) and the hour now, at that time presence (e.g.: John 11:43). This is not identical with the day of salvation.

As far as John 5:25 is concerned, I believe Jesus talked about two different hours: the coming hour, still future, (see also verse 28) and the hour now, at that time presence (e.g.: John 11:43). This is not identical with the day of salvation.
    Yes, but I'm saying, perhaps used in a similar way... and then the rest of my post [post #2] was to illustrate what I meant.

Accepted. But what is your opinion - when did the day of salvation start? When Paul wrote to the Corinthians - or earlier? What do you think?

Blog Entries

The day of salvation of salvation in the context of 2 Cor 6:2 is the day an unbeliever hears the Gospel and believes. "In the day of salvation have I succoured thee" refers to the quickening of the hitherto alienated spirit of the unbeliever, now alive in Christ.

The day of salvation ends when we go to rest in Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    The day of salvation of salvation in the context of 2 Cor 6:2 is the day an unbeliever hears the Gospel and believes. "In the day of salvation have I succoured thee" refers to the quickening of the hitherto alienated spirit of the unbeliever, now alive in Christ.

The day of salvation ends when we go to rest in Christ.
    Thanks for your answer. There are two issues:

1. "In the day of salvation have I succored thee" is a quotation from Isa 49:8. The context speaks from the Messiah. "I" refers to God, "Thee" refers to the Messiah. How can it refer to the spirit of any other person?

2. "The day of salvation ends when we go to rest in Christ." I don't think so. Would you pls. provide the respective Bible passage?

Real good question--I'm anxious to know how others view this! My own thought is that "salvation" is an eschatological reality, when the issues of sin and redemption are fully dealt with, and complete restoration has been achieved.

Obviously, this has not yet happened, and yet this reality is being applied to "now!" So how can an eschatological reality be viewed as having an effect already, even before it is fully realized? It can only be explained as the salvation Christians presently experience when they accept Christ as their salvation. It is the prelude to the final reality. We already have been given a "down payment" on our inheritance.

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    Real good question--I'm anxious to know how others view this! My own thought is that "salvation" is an eschatological reality, when the issues of sin and redemption are fully dealt with, and complete restoration has been achieved.

Obviously, this has not yet happened, and yet this reality is being applied to "now!" So how can an eschatological reality be viewed as having an effect already, even before it is fully realized? It can only be explained as the salvation Christians presently experience when they accept Christ as their salvation. It is the prelude to the final reality. We already have been given a "down payment" on our inheritance.
    Yes, if you look at our salvation it is now given by faith only but not yet revealed (1Pet1:5). You are right, salvation is an eschatological reality - it will be revealed!

But who will reveal it and how does this view fit to the "day of salvation"? When did this day start and when will it be finished?

"It can only be explained as the salvation Christians presently experience when they accept Christ as their salvation". I don't think so, because this view would terminate the day of salvation already before the salvation will be revealed.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your answer. There are two issues:

1. "In the day of salvation have I succored thee" is a quotation from Isa 49:8. The context speaks from the Messiah. "I" refers to God, "Thee" refers to the Messiah. How can it refer to the spirit of any other person?

2. "The day of salvation ends when we go to rest in Christ." I don't think so. Would you pls. provide the respective Bible passage?
    1. In 2 Cor 6:2 Paul re-phrased Isaiah 49:8. The Lord in view in Isaiah 49:8 is Jesus throughout. So your assertion that "I" refers to God, is incorrect. The prophet Isaiah prophesied the salvation that will come through faith in Jesus Christ: "in an acceptable time have I heard thee and in a day of salvation have I helped thee...". To understand this, you must ask yourself, how can Jesus hear us without the unrighteous first believing in him?

Arguing this case further to highlight Israel's rejection of Christ, Paul once again quotes Isaiah in:

Rom 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Verse 17 proves my case, faith (belief in Christ) comes by hearing and believing in the Gospel and this is the "day of salvation" for the unbeliever.

2. Our salvation *ends* when we receive our promised reward of eternal life (immortality) on the day of our resurrection/rapture. So the death of the righteous leads to his "rest" (Rom 6:7; Heb 4:9-10) in Christ in anticipation of awakening into immortality. IOW, salvation thereby ends or you could say, the first phase ends. So the "two issues" you claim doesn't really exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Trivalee View Post
    "in an acceptable time have I heard thee and in a day of salvation have I helped thee...". To understand this, you must ask yourself
    1. To understand this you must always ask the word of God, never yourself. He (God) said in Jes. 49:8 that he has helped the Messiah (the question is when and how did he help him?) and - please proceed reading - he (God) will keep him (Jesus) and will give him (Jesus) as a covenant to the people to establish the land (Israel)... and so on ...

Do you think, he will give you as a covenant to the people to establish the land? For sure not. You also can't apportion the desolate heritages. This can only be done by the Messiah. This passage (also verse 7) talks about the Messiah. God has helped him on the day of salvation. What kind of help was it? What did God do with the Messiah after he died and resurrected?

Now, what do you think - when did the day of salvation start?

2. Our salvation will never end. Thanks to God.

By the way: The Hebrew name of the day of salvation is "Jom Jeschua". One could translate it also "day of Jesus" instead of "day of salvation". It points to Jesus, not to us. It's His day. Does that make any sense to you?

Blog Entries

1. To understand this you must always ask the word of God, never yourself. He (God) said in Jes. 49:8 that he has helped the Messiah (the question is when and how did he help him?) and - please proceed reading - he (God) will keep him (Jesus) and will give him (Jesus) as a covenant to the people to establish the land (Israel)... and so on ...

Do you think, he will give you as a covenant to the people to establish the land? For sure not. You also can't apportion the desolate heritages. This can only be done by the Messiah. This passage (also verse 7) talks about the Messiah. God has helped him on the day of salvation. What kind of help was it? What did God do with the Messiah after he died and resurrected?

Now, what do you think - when did the day of salvation start?

2. Our salvation will never end. Thanks to God.

By the way: The Hebrew name of the day of salvation is "Jom Jeschua". One could translate it also "day of Jesus" instead of "day of salvation". It points to Jesus, not to us. It's His day. Does that make any sense to you?
    Your mistake is failing to understand the subtle contextual differences in the use of "day of the Lord" in Isaiah 49:8 and 2 Cor 6:2. You jump all over the place and thereby miss the point - even though you raised the question yourself. For example, even though your query is based on 2 Cor 6:2, you have apparently abandoned Corinthians to debate Isaiah forgetting that Paul quoted only segments of Isaiah 49:8. If your OP is on Isaiah 49:8 as a whole, my response would have been different.

As it stands, my views are specific to 2 Cor 6:2 and I stand by it.

Blog Entries

Yes, if you look at our salvation it is now given by faith only but not yet revealed (1Pet1:5). You are right, salvation is an eschatological reality - it will be revealed!

But who will reveal it and how does this view fit to the "day of salvation"? When did this day start and when will it be finished?

"It can only be explained as the salvation Christians presently experience when they accept Christ as their salvation". I don't think so, because this view would terminate the day of salvation already before the salvation will be revealed.
    If salvation is a secret (something unknown) to be revealed sometime in the future, then according to Paul, we are all miserable! The problem here is semantics; salvation is an assured and guaranteed promise which the believer in Christ have RIGHT NOW. This promise is redeemed, fulfilled at the eschaton with eternal life/immortality. In the end, what I said is not different from what Randy believes when he said "my opinion is that salvation is an eschatological reality".

Unfortunately, 1 Peter 1:5 is NOT saying that salvation is a secret to be revealed in the last time as you claim. The key is "reveal" and in context it means *to be fulfilled/redeemed*. That's what Peter was saying. You'd be hard-pressed to find any mature Christian who will agree with you that salvation is some secret to be revealed in the future.

Thread Information