Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Things For The Knowing

Post Re: Things For The Knowing

-
    Big Daddy

The Phylogenetic Tree Of Life is an interesting scientific diagram that traces all forms of life back to a singular genetic heritage regardless of species. In other words; if you started with a raccoon, and followed it's branch down the tree far enough, you'd eventually intersect with another branch that you could then trace to mushrooms. The tree is sort of the equivalent of a Big Bang of living things.

The branch on that tree that interests me the most is the one that traces human life. According to the diagram; any two people you might select-- no matter what their age, race, or gender --if traced back far enough, can eventually be linked to a common ancestor; which of course is no surprise to Bible students.

Gen 2:21-23 . .Yhvh God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh at that place. And the God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. And the man said: This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The Hebrew for "rib" in that passage is tsela' (tsay-law') and Gen 2:21-23 contains the only two places in the entire Old Testament where it's translated with an English word representing a skeletal bone. In the other twenty-nine places, it's translated "side"

In other words: Eve wasn't constructed directly from the dust of the earth as was Adam. She was constructed from a human tissue sample amputated from Adam's body; ergo: Eve's flesh and bone were derived from Adam's flesh and bone; consequently any and all human life produced by Eve's flesh and bone is biologically traceable to Adam's flesh and bone.

Gen 3:20 . . Adam named his wife Eve, because she would be the mother of all people everywhere.

Acts 17:26 . . He made from one man every variety of mankind to live on all the face of the earth

So then, it was the creator's deliberate design that all human life be biologically related to a sole source of human life-- the one and only human life that God created directly from the earth's dust; viz: Adam. (Gen 2:7)

/

Blog Entries

Re: Things For The Knowing

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    There are 24 hours in a day. Unless you mean daylight hours, which can then mean anywhere from 24 hours of daylight to zero hours depending on where and when you are on the globe.

My understanding is that culture allotted 12 hours for light and 12 hours for dark, no matter how long the day was or how short the night was (or vice versa). Furthermore, time in that culture didn't have a "one hour" resolution, as we read references to "the third hour," "the sixth hour," etc. It sort of worked out at their latitude, but depending on the season, "day" could last more than 12 hours or less than 12 hours, and "night" would reciprocate of course.

If Israel was in Alaska during a certain time of the year, a 12 hour day could literally last months.

So the "12" hours in the context of Jesus' spoke was relative to sunrise and sunset not an exact 12 hours as Jude alluded to.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    My understanding is that culture allotted 12 hours for light and 12 hours for dark, no matter how long the day was or how short the night was (or vice versa). Furthermore, time in that culture didn't have a "one hour" resolution, as we read references to "the third hour," "the sixth hour," etc. It sort of worked out at their latitude, but depending on the season, "day" could last more than 12 hours or less than 12 hours, and "night" would reciprocate of course.

If Israel was in Alaska during a certain time of the year, a 12 hour day could literally last months.

So the "12" hours in the context of Jesus' spoke was relative to sunrise and sunset not an exact 12 hours as Jude alluded to.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Had not considered it before, so I guess I learn something new as well. Thanks.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

-
    Why Adam Didn't Drop Dead

Gen 2:15-17 . .The Lord God took the man and placed him in the garden of Eden, to till it and tend it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying: Of every tree of the garden you are free to eat; but as for the tree of knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat of it; for in the day you eat of it, you shall die.

Adam didn't drop dead the instant he tasted the forbidden fruit. In point of fact, he continued to live outside the garden of Eden for another 800 years after the birth of his son Seth. (Gen 5:4)

So; is there a reasonable explanation for this apparent discrepancy?

Well; first off let me point out that in order for the consequence to resonate in Adam's thinking; it had to be related to death as Adam understood it. In other words: Adam wasn't threatened to die spiritually. No, he was threatened to die normally; i.e. physically; like as in pass away.

How can I be so sure that God meant normal death? Because according to Gen 3:19 that's how it worked out; and to make sure Adam would die, God blocked his access to the tree of life. (Gen 3:22-24)

Anyway; the trick is: Adam wasn't told he would die the instant he tasted the fruit. God's exact words were "in the day"

Well; according to Gen 2:4, the Hebrew word for "day" is a bit ambiguous. It can easily indicate a period of time much, much longer than 24 hours; i.e. the day of Adam's death began the moment he ate the fruit.

That was a milestone in human history. Up till Adam tasted the fruit, the only significant day on record was the creation era. Adam inaugurated a new day by tasting the fruit-- the day of death.

Rom 5:12 . . Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men.

Well; like Jack Palance's character Curly in the movie City Slickers said: "The day ain't over yet"

Ecc 7:2 . . It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of gaiety, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this seriously.

Q: If Adam is responsible for bringing death into the world, then how did he know what it meant to die if nothing had done so up to that point?

A: In order for death to resonate in Adam's thinking, he had to see it for himself; which I've no doubt he did simply by watching fruits and vegetables go bad, but that's not all.

God created only one pair of humans. He created all other forms of conscious life in swarms, flocks, and herds. I'm pretty He created them that way in order to keep their numbers up because they weren't created in the image and likeness of God, i.e. they're not supposed to live forever; they're meant to die whereas h.sapiens wasn't meant to die, rather, he was meant to be immortal. In other words: the tree of life was exclusive; viz: it was meant for human consumption; and I rather suspect that if any other kind of creature had eaten the fruit, it wouldn't have worked for them like it works for people.

/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sa:ji:sdo:de View Post
    -
    Big Daddy

The Phylogenetic Tree Of Life is an interesting scientific diagram that traces all forms of life back to a singular genetic heritage regardless of species. In other words; if you started with a raccoon, and followed it's branch down the tree far enough, you'd eventually intersect with another branch that you could then trace to mushrooms. The tree is sort of the equivalent of a Big Bang of living things.

The branch on that tree that interests me the most is the one that traces human life. According to the diagram; any two people you might select-- no matter what their age, race, or gender --if traced back far enough, can eventually be linked to a common ancestor; which of course is no surprise to Bible students.

Gen 2:21-23 . .Yhvh God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh at that place. And the God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man. And the man said: This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The Hebrew for "rib" in that passage is tsela' (tsay-law') and Gen 2:21-23 contains the only two places in the entire Old Testament where it's translated with an English word representing a skeletal bone. In the other twenty-nine places, it's translated "side"

In other words: Eve wasn't constructed directly from the dust of the earth as was Adam. She was constructed from a human tissue sample amputated from Adam's body; ergo: Eve's flesh and bone were derived from Adam's flesh and bone; consequently any and all human life produced by Eve's flesh and bone is biologically traceable to Adam's flesh and bone.

Gen 3:20 . . Adam named his wife Eve, because she would be the mother of all people everywhere.

Acts 17:26 . . He made from one man every variety of mankind to live on all the face of the earth

So then, it was the creator's deliberate design that all human life be biologically related to a sole source of human life-- the one and only human life that God created directly from the earth's dust; viz: Adam. (Gen 2:7)

/
    The "Phylogenetic Tree Of Life", some would argue, is a tree of life that introduces Evolution of species. Are you promoting Evolution? What does the Word of God teach about the evolution of species?

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier_of_Faith View Post
    The "Phylogenetic Tree Of Life", some would argue, is a tree of life that introduces Evolution of species. Are you promoting Evolution? What does the Word of God teach about the evolution of species?
    it was the creator's deliberate design that all human life be biologically related to a sole source of human life-- the one and only human life that God created directly from the earth's dust; viz: Adam. (Gen 2:7)
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Blog Entries

AMEN. However I was speaking of the animals, (knowing that Humans are separated out). For example, did birds come from dinosaurs, did horses come from dinosaurs? ect... Isn't that what the Phylogenetic Tree Of Life shows? Or do I read it wrong?

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier_of_Faith View Post
    did birds come from dinosaurs, did horses come from dinosaurs? ect...
    I have no interest in discussing either dinosaurs or evolution on this thread.

/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense. Had not considered it before, so I guess I learn something new as well. Thanks.
    Here are some excepts from the Gospel of Mark that describes time keeping in that culture:

14:17 When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. 18 While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me—one who is eating with me.”

This is the hour of sunset, that culture would have known it as the end of the end of the "24" hour day. Sunset in Jewish culture marks the beginning of a new day.

15:15 Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, made their plans.

This would be on the same day as 14:17 shortly after sunrise.

15:25 And it was the third hour, when they crucified him.

This would mark the second quarter of the day after sunrise (usually translated as 9:00 AM)

15:33 And when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

High noon and 3PM

15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, “E′lo-i, E′lo-i, la′ma sabach-tha′ni?”

3PM

15:42 And when evening had come, since it was the day of Preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath, 43 Joseph of Arimathe′a, a respected member of the council, who was also himself looking for the kingdom of God, took courage and went to Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus.

Sunset, or the next day.

Keep in mind any of these time periods only have a resolution of 3 hours (except for sunrise and sunset which is precise), so stating "exactly 9AM," etc. is a misnomer.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

-
    Jesus Christ's Human Origin

I was taught in catechism that seeing as how Jesus Christ's mother was a virgin when he was conceived, then he didn't have a human father. Well; that all depends on how we go about defining "father".

Gen 2:21a-22a . . So the Lord God cast a deep sleep upon the man; and, while he slept, He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that spot. And the Lord God fashioned the rib that He had taken from the man into a woman;

The Hebrew word for "rib" is tsela' (tsay-law') and Gen 2:21-22 contains the only two places in the entire Old Testament where it's translated with an English word representing a skeletal bone. In the other twenty-nine places, it's translated "side" which is really how it should be translated because according to Gen 2:23, the material taken from Adam's body included a portion of his flesh, which is notable; here's why.

God constructed Adam's body from the Earth's dust, and then breathed into it the breath of life. He did neither of those two things with Eve. Her body was constructed from Adam's body, and she got her breath of life from his breath of life. In other words: human life is a transferrable kind of life that can be, and is, passed on to succeeding generations.

The result is: none of us are discreet creations; everybody that biologically descends from Adam is just simply more Adam; viz: reproductions, i.e. our body is his body, and our breath of life is his breath of life. This is very important in regards to Jesus Christ's human origin.

There are people, even a number of Christians, who desperately want to biologically disconnect Jesus Christ from Adam; their case relies heavily upon Jesus' virgin conception, which is a losing case seeing as how the flesh and bone of Mary's parents biologically descended from Eve's flesh and bone; and from thence Adam's flesh and bone; ergo: Mary's flesh and bone were Adam's.

Opponents have even attempted to biologically disconnect Christ from Adam by insisting that his conception was an implant, i.e. Mary was Jesus' surrogate mother rather than his biological mother. But that idea is not only a theory concocted right out of thin air and a fertile imagination, but it's also spurious and unbiblical.

Acts 13:22-23 . . "I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will." Of this man's seed hath God, according to His promise, raised unto Israel a savior, Jesus.

Rom 1:1-3 . . Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh

The koiné Greek word for "seed" in those two passages is sperma (sper' mah) which in males typically refers to their reproductive stuff and/or their genetic material; especially when the seed is according to the flesh, i.e. biological seed rather than spiritual seed.

Now, in order for Christ to descend from David's seed according to the flesh sans Mary sleeping with a man, she had to be one of David's biological granddaughters or else her child would not have been David's actual progeny, and the angel's announcement would've been untrue.

Luke 1:31 . .You will conceive in your womb and bear a son; the Lord God will give him the throne of his father David.

I can think of no sensible argument that would successfully break Christ's biological lineage to David, nor of one that would successfully break David's biological lineage to Eve.

So then; unless somebody can prove-- clearly, conclusively, and without ambiguity; air tight and iron clad-- that Jesus Christ's mother wasn't biologically related to Eve; then it's a foregone conclusion that Adam was the first in Jesus Christ's long line of biological male ancestors; the final one of course being Mary's biological father.

NOTE: It's commonly objected that women cannot provide the Y chromosome necessary for producing a male child. And that's right; they usually can't. However, seeing as how God constructed an entire woman from a sample of male flesh and bone; then I do not see how it would be any more difficult for God to construct a dinky little Y chromosome from a woman's flesh and bone.

And seeing as how every woman's flesh and bone descends from Adam's flesh and bone, then any Y chromosome that God might construct from a woman's flesh and bone would essentially be Adam's Y chromosome seeing as how Eve's flesh and bone were Adam's to begin with.

Q: But doesn't 1Cor 15:45-47 say that Christ is a second Adam rather than a reproduction of the first?

A: I'm going to deliberately misquote a portion of that passage so's to bring out a point.

** And so it is written; "The first man Adam was made a living soul"; the last Adam was made a life-giving man. **

According to the actual language, the last Adam isn't only a human being, he's also a spirit being. Also, the first Adam was a creature brought to life; whereas the last Adam isn't only a creature brought to life; he's also a creator who brings creatures to life. When 1Cor 15:45-47 is considered along with John 1:1-4, it becomes readily apparent that the last Adam is not only human, but also divine.

/

-
    Why Adam Didn't Drop Dead

Gen 2:15-17 . .The Lord God took the man and placed him in the garden of Eden, to till it and tend it. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying: Of every tree of the garden you are free to eat; but as for the tree of knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat of it; for in the day you eat of it, you shall die.

Adam didn't drop dead the instant he tasted the forbidden fruit. In point of fact, he continued to live outside the garden of Eden for another 800 years after the birth of his son Seth. (Gen 5:4)

So; is there a reasonable explanation for this apparent discrepancy?

Well; first off let me point out that in order for the consequence to resonate in Adam's thinking; it had to be related to death as Adam understood it. In other words: Adam wasn't threatened to die spiritually. No, he was threatened to die normally; i.e. physically; like as in pass away.

How can I be so sure that God meant normal death? Because according to Gen 3:19 that's how it worked out; and to make sure Adam would die, God blocked his access to the tree of life. (Gen 3:22-24)

Anyway; the trick is: Adam wasn't told he would die the instant he tasted the fruit. God's exact words were "in the day"

Well; according to Gen 2:4, the Hebrew word for "day" is a bit ambiguous. It can easily indicate a period of time much, much longer than 24 hours; i.e. the day of Adam's death began the moment he ate the fruit.

That was a milestone in human history. Up till Adam tasted the fruit, the only significant day on record was the creation era. Adam inaugurated a new day by tasting the fruit-- the day of death.

Rom 5:12 . . Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men.

Well; like Jack Palance's character Curly in the movie City Slickers said: "The day ain't over yet"

Ecc 7:2 . . It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of gaiety, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this seriously.

Q: If Adam is responsible for bringing death into the world, then how did he know what it meant to die if nothing had done so up to that point?

A: In order for death to resonate in Adam's thinking, he had to see it for himself; which I've no doubt he did simply by watching fruits and vegetables go bad, but that's not all.

God created only one pair of humans. He created all other forms of conscious life in swarms, flocks, and herds. I'm pretty He created them that way in order to keep their numbers up because they weren't created in the image and likeness of God, i.e. they're not supposed to live forever; they're meant to die whereas h.sapiens wasn't meant to die, rather, he was meant to be immortal. In other words: the tree of life was exclusive; viz: it was meant for human consumption; and I rather suspect that if any other kind of creature had eaten the fruit, it wouldn't have worked for them like it works for people.

/
    i believe all of creation came under the death sentence when Adam fell..

Jude
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

-
    According to the actual language, the last Adam isn't only a human being, he's also a spirit being.
    I thought it might be important to mention that there's a non traditional Christian religion out and about whose teachings insist that it's impossible for someone to exist simultaneously as a human being and a spirit being.

I'm not at liberty to disclose the name of that particular non traditional religion, but seeing as how traditional Christianity is built upon a man who we sincerely believe to be both human and divine, then I suggest that we really ought to regard the other as something to avoid.

/

Blog Entries

Some are not aware that in Judaism, the Seed of the Woman is through whom the Jewish tribe and faith continues. So then, Jesus, not having a Father was indeed a Jew, being born of a Mother who was the daughter of the Tribe of Judah, and a direct descendant of David. Not having a human dad does not mess up any part of the Jewish heritage of Jesus.

About the conception of Jesus I have seen this:

The Holy Spirit hovered over Marry and she conceived. This is very interesting, because today we actually know a lot about the conceiving process, the sperm, the egg, mitosis, and continued development of the cells moving from 2 cells, to one, to two, to four, ect... Scientists have a pretty good grasp on the sequence of events that happen after fertilization, and have actually played around with the events that happen every time to see what happens if you remove chromosomes and other scary things. The found something very interesting. A fertilized egg MUST have both Male Chromosomes and Female ones. If it does not have both, it will not form a Zygote. (The cell will not divide.) Then the scientists decided they would FORCE the cell to divide with JUST female Chromosomes (because that is what comes in an Egg.) By stimulating with electricity they found that they indeed could make the Egg divide with just Y Chromosomes. BUT IT NEVER DEVELOPED INTO A FETUS! Just a blob of cells. So then the perfect design of God is that a Male and a Female MUST work together to create life.

So then this creates a question as to HOW the Word became flesh in Marry. I wonder sometimes if God placed the Word into Marry's egg as the Perfect XX Chromosomes, thus fertilizing it and allowing it to divide beginning the baby creation process. Or I wonder if Jesus was created as a Zygote already. We know that Mary did apparently go through the entire full term of pregnancy, so 9 months at least were probably involved, suggesting Jesus was conceived at or near the very beginning process of conception.

To me this is very interesting, as we realize that the Holy Spirit was actually IN Jesus from Conception, not just Birth, and not just at His baptism. So when Jesus was born of Water, He was also born OF THE SPIRIT. As the XX Chromosome was actually implanted in the Spirit. We are only born of the Spirit when we, having Believed in the Lord are baptized in the spirit. Thus we have to be born 2 times. I don't Believe Jesus had to be born twice to receive the Spirit. He already had Him within Himself from conception.

Interestingly, if you then look at ADAM and Jesus side by side you see something interesting as well:

Adam was make of FLESH and then the SPIRIT was breathed into Him. Jesus was "breathed into" by the Holy Spirit (possibly adding the Male Chromosomes), while the other half of Himself was Flesh (egg). They were both Dust and Spirit.

Just my thoughts on the subject...

-
    Jonah

Matt 12:39-40 . . As Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The Lord paralleled his own afterlife journey with Jonah's. Well, seeing as how Christ was dead for most of the time that he was in the tomb, then I think it's valid to conclude that Jonah was dead for most of the time that he was in the fish.

According to Jonah's second chapter, there were moments during his nautical adventure when he was in two places at once: the fish's belly and the bottoms of the mountains.

Seeing as how the Lord paralleled his own journey with Jonah's, then I believe it is valid to conclude that there were moments in Christ's adventure when he was in two places at once too: the tomb's belly and also the bottoms of the mountains; i.e. the heart of the earth.

(It doesn't take much education to know that the bottoms of the mountains are situated in neither a fish's tummy, nor a tomb.)

Jesus appropriated the story of Jonah to predict his resurrection. Unfortunately people are typically distracted by the time element; consequently totally missing the parallel's purpose. The average rank and file pew warmer is convinced that Jonah was alive the whole time he was in the fish. Well, had he been, then Jesus would had to been alive the whole time he was in the tomb; otherwise the parallel fails.

Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites and also a sign to Jesus' generation (Matt 13:39-40, Luke 11:29-30). The word "sign" is translated from a koiné Greek word that's sometimes used in the gospels to indicate miracles. Now, had Jonah merely survived the fish's tummy, that would not be the kind of sign that Jesus had in mind. He needed a miraculous event that would adequately depict his own; the reason being that Jesus was not on track to be resuscitated, no, Jesus was on track to be resurrected because he would be quite dead from crucifixion. (John 19:33)

According to Jonah 2:6, the prophet was spared putrefaction. Well; according to Ps 16:8-10 and Acts 2:25-31, Jesus too was spared putrefaction. Thus it all came to pass just as the Lord said: As Jonah, so the Son of Man.

Q: Why make a fuss over whether Jonah was dead or alive?

A: Because Jonah's adventure gives us a clearer concept of the scope of hades; the location to which Christ retired during the three days and nights that his corpse reposed in the tomb (Acts 2:25-31). No doubt hades refers to the grave, but that's not all. According to Jonah, hades also refers to the netherworld.

NOTE: Commentators smarter and better educated than I posit that Jonah 2:3-7 recounts Jonah's demise via drowning. In other words: Jonah was dead before he was laid to rest in the fish's tummy just as Christ was dead before he was laid to rest in the tomb.

/

[font=verdana]-
    Jonah

Matt 12:39-40 . . As Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

The Lord paralleled his own afterlife journey with Jonah's. Well, seeing as how Christ was dead for most of the time that he was in the tomb, then I think it's valid to conclude that Jonah was dead for most of the time that he was in the fish.

NOTE: Commentators smarter and better educated than I posit that Jonah 2:3-7 recounts Jonah's demise via drowning. In other words: Jonah was dead before he was laid to rest in the fish's tummy just as Christ was dead before he was laid to rest in the tomb.

/
    There might be a simple solution to this dilemma. It is true that Jonah speaks of being in the grave (sheol - Heb. - Jhn.2:2), and yet he was in a fish's belly. He still prays which a dead man cannot do (Eccl.9:5-10; Isa.38:18). So although the scene seems to indicate Jonah's death, he is still alive. The truth revealed here is that the SOUL of man does not die at his physical death. When our Lord Jesus fulfills the sigh of Jonah from Matthew 12:40, he is talking about His SOUL in Hades. From various scriptures like Luke 16 and Revelation 6:9 it is clear that the SOULS of men in Hades are awake and animated. It is their BODIES that cease function in death. Jonah is a picture of Christ's death, NOT in the Sepulchre, but in Hades. Thus, He was both dead (bodily) and alive (soulishly).

Thread Information