Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Things For The Knowing

Re: Things For The Knowing

Quote Originally Posted by borntobewild View Post
    Very good response, "a serious academic sources for the spreading rates of the separation of the tectonic plates from Pangaea".

I love it.

I will ask you the same.

What is the spreading rate of the tectonic plates given by the most prestigious academics?

How did they measure such past spreading rates?

What evidence do they have to prove without doubt the veracity of their measurements?

My evidence is the bible.

Genesis 10:25

25 Two sons were born to Eber:

One was named Peleg, because in his time the earth was divided
    I asked first.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

Post Re: Things For The Knowing

-
    Leaven

Gen 19:3 . . Lot prepared a feast for them and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.

The Hebrew word for "unleavened" is matstsah (mats-tsaw') which essentially refers to an unfermented cake or loaf; in other words; i.e. bread made with sweet dough rather than sour dough.

In this day and age of cultured yeast it's not easy to explain what the Bible means by leavened and unleavened. Well; the primary difference between the two terms isn't ingredients; rather, the primary difference is age; for example:

"Let us therefore celebrate the feast, not with old leaven" (1Cor 5:8)

If there is an old leaven, then there must be a new leaven; just as there is an old wine and a new wine. For example:

Matt 13:33 . .The kingdom of heaven is like leaven, which a woman took, and mixed in three measures of flour, until it was all leavened.

The woman's batch was a blend of fresh dough and spoiled dough; i.e. the spoiled dough made her fresh dough into a batch of new leaven.

Old leaven then refers to dough that's gone bad, i.e. fermented; which, given time, pure dough will do on its own because all flour, no matter how carefully it's milled and packaged, contains a percentage of naturally-occurring fungi.

Ex 12:34 . . So the people took their dough before it was leavened, with their kneading bowls bound up in the clothes on their shoulders.

That gives an idea of how quickly God moved the people out of Egypt after slaying all the firstborn. They had made bread with fresh dough for that night's dinner in accord with the law of the Passover instituted in the 12th chapter of Exodus and it had not yet spoiled; which fresh dough will do in short order if it isn't refrigerated.

Anyway, point being; Lot served his guests fresh bread made with fresh dough rather than with bread made with dough that's been sitting around for a while. Bread made with sour dough is reasonably safe to eat, we know that, so serving his guests bread made with aged dough wouldn't have been a health issue. I like to think that Lot served his honored guests unleavened bread as an act of courtesy rather than necessity. Giving people your best, rather than your less than best, shows that you think highly of them.

/

Thread Information