Thread: The Sin Nature

Post The Sin Nature

-
    The term "sin nature" found in some versions of the Bible, is actually an interpretation rather than a translation. I suspect somebody coined it as a substitute for the flesh that Paul often spoke of in his letters.

Rom 8:8 . .They that are in the flesh cannot please God.

The koiné Greek word for flesh is sarx (sarx); which basically indicates the meaty parts of either man or beast. The meat of the human body would of course include the 3-pound lump of flabby organic tissue housed within humanity's bony little skulls sufficing for a mind; and it's not all that difficult to tamper with a brain and make its owner quite mindless.

The meaty parts of the human body are the source of a human being's human nature and it isn't all that difficult to define. Webster's says its (1) the ways of thinking, feeling, and acting that are common to most people, and (2) the nature of humans; especially the fundamental dispositions and traits of humans.

Ironically, when God finished assembling the cosmos with its various forms of life, matter, and energy; He pronounced it all not just good; but "very" good (Gen 1:31). In other words, God was satisfied that the human body came out just exactly as He designed it to come out; but it didn't stay that way.

When people do something contrary to their better judgment; it's very common to hear them complain "I don't know what came over me." Well; the thing that came over them was their own body exerting its fundamental dispositions and traits; viz: the human body literally has a mind of its own; it constantly, and perpetually, competes with its host for control of their thoughts, their speech, and their conduct, and more often than not wins.

When I was a growing boy my dad was always telling me that I was my own worst enemy. I think that maybe the apostle Paul would have agreed with my dad because he too was his own worst enemy.

Rom 7:18 . . For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing

Rom 7:24 . .What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

/

Post Re: The Sin Nature

-
    Rom 7:24 . .What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?

The word "rescue" is a good choice because it is impossible for people to free themselves from their own body except by suicide.

Q: Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? (Jer 13:23)

A: No.

Obviously then, people's own human body will never allow them to achieve an acceptable degree of piety, viz: their body is a humanly insurmountable barrier between themselves and heaven.

/

Thread Information