Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christ's Law

Post Christ's Law

-
    John 14:21 . .Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me.

John 15:14 . . You are my friends, if you do what I command you.

The commandments as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are covenanted commandments, i.e. contractual. Christ's followers are not contracted with God to comply with that particular law; which is very fortunate because Lev 26:3-38, Deut 27:15-26, and Deut 28:1-69 catalogue a pretty extensive number of curses for non compliance; but in my mind's eye, the one below is the scariest.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out.

Note the grammatical tense of that curse; it's present tense rather than future, indicating that the very moment a covenanted person breaks one of the covenant's commandments he racks up a curse upon himself-- no delay and no waiting period; and those curses can snowball right quick if covenanted people aren't careful; for example:

Lev 19:11 . . You shall not deal falsely, nor lie to one another.

Every time a covenanted person is dishonest, they accrue a curse; for each offense.

Lets say a covenanted person is dishonest ten times in a week. Well according to the covenant, those ten counts of dishonesty accrue ten curses; and those curses are contractual, i.e. God is obligated by the covenant to fulfil them lest He himself fall into breach of contract because God took part in the covenant under oath (Deut 29:9-15). Obviously then, serial dishonesty is pretty serious for people contracted with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

/

Re: Christ's Law

Question: "What is the law of Christ?"

Answer: Galatians 6:2 states, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (emphasis added). What exactly is the law of Christ, and how is it fulfilled by carrying each other’s burdens? While the law of Christ is also mentioned in 1 Corinthians 9:21, the Bible nowhere specifically defines what precisely is the law of Christ. However, most Bible teachers understand the law of Christ to be what Christ stated were the greatest commandments in Mark 12:28–31, “‘Which commandment is the most important of all?’ Jesus answered, ‘The most important is, “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” The second is this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” There is no other commandment greater than these.’”

The law of Christ, then, is to love God with all of our being and to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. In Mark 12:32–33, the scribe who asked Jesus the question responds with, “To love Him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” In this, Jesus and the scribe agreed that those two commands are the core of the entire Old Testament Law. All of the Old Testament Law can be placed in the categories of “loving God” or “loving your neighbor.”

Various New Testament scriptures state that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament Law, bringing it to completion and conclusion (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). In place of the Old Testament Law, Christians are to obey the law of Christ. Rather than trying to remember the over 600 individual commandments in the Old Testament Law, Christians are simply to focus on loving God and loving others. If Christians would truly and wholeheartedly obey those two commands, we would be fulfilling everything that God requires of us.

Christ freed us from the bondage of the hundreds of commands in the Old Testament Law and instead calls on us to love. First John 4:7–8 declares, “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” First John 5:3 continues, “This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome.”

Some use the fact that we are not under the Old Testament Law as an excuse to sin. The apostle Paul addresses this very issue in Romans. “What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!” (Romans 6:15). For the follower of Christ, the avoidance of sin is to be accomplished out of love for God and love for others. Love is to be our motivation. When we recognize the value of Jesus’ sacrifice on our behalf, our response is to be love, gratitude, and obedience. When we understand the sacrifice Jesus made for us and others, our response is to be to follow His example in expressing love to others. Our motivation for overcoming sin should be love, not a desire to legalistically obey a series of commandments. We are to obey the law of Christ because we love Him, not so that we can check off a list of commands that we successfully obeyed. - https://www.gotquestions.org/law-of-Christ.html
    Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Post Re: Christ's Law

-
    A pretty large amount of Christ's law is located in the epistles of Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John.

1Cor 14:37 . . If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of The Lord.

1Thess 4:1-2 . .We beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by The Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more. For ye know what commandments we gave you by The Lord Jesus.

Acts is a good jumping off point to the epistles; for example:

Acts 15:20a . . Abstain from food tainted by idols,

Here's the text of a common Christian prayer.

"Bless us, Oh Lord, and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ, Our Lord. Amen."

That prayer credits the providence of God and His son for the nourishment on the table. Well; in the old Roman world, they sometimes credited the providence of a pagan god for their nourishment. According to 1Cor 10:25-31; this is one of those don't ask situations.

Acts 15:20b . . Abstain from promiscuity

Promiscuity typically refers to things like adultery, incest, shacking up, one night stands, sleeping around, etc.

Acts 15:20c . . Abstain from the meat of strangled animals.

The meat of a strangled animal is different than that of a butchered animal. Though a strangled animal may be brain dead, it's flesh will be viable for a bit because the blood in its veins still has usable oxygen in it. This is why the new rules for CPR recommend concentrating on chest compressions first while delaying blowing air into somebody's lungs till a little later.

In essence what we're talking about here is eating living flesh versus ordinary raw flesh. The way I see it; Christians may eat all the raw, uncooked meat they want just so long as they are absolutely certain the meat is dead beyond recovery.

Acts 15:20d . . Abstain from blood

There are cultures that poke holes in cows' necks in order to drink blood straight out of the animal utilizing its own blood pressure like a tap to fill their cups. Other cultures cut open the thorax of animals freshly taken in hunting in order to take blood-soaked bites of the animal's heart. Those examples are probably about as close to vampirism as one can get without actually joining Edward Cullen's family and undergoing the conversion process.

/

Quote Originally Posted by mailmandan View Post
    Question: "What is the law of Christ?"

Answer: Galatians 6:2 states, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (emphasis added). What exactly is the law of Christ, and how is it fulfilled by carrying each other’s burdens? While the law of Christ is also mentioned in 1 Corinthians 9:21, the Bible nowhere specifically defines what precisely is the law of Christ. However, most Bible teachers understand the law of Christ to be what Christ stated were the greatest commandments in Mark 12:28–31, “‘Which commandment is the most important of all?’ Jesus answered, ‘The most important is, “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” The second is this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” There is no other commandment greater than these.’”

The law of Christ, then, is to love God with all of our being and to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. In Mark 12:32–33, the scribe who asked Jesus the question responds with, “To love Him with all the heart and with all the understanding and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is much more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” In this, Jesus and the scribe agreed that those two commands are the core of the entire Old Testament Law. All of the Old Testament Law can be placed in the categories of “loving God” or “loving your neighbor.”

Various New Testament scriptures state that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament Law, bringing it to completion and conclusion (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). In place of the Old Testament Law, Christians are to obey the law of Christ. Rather than trying to remember the over 600 individual commandments in the Old Testament Law, Christians are simply to focus on loving God and loving others. If Christians would truly and wholeheartedly obey those two commands, we would be fulfilling everything that God requires of us.

Christ freed us from the bondage of the hundreds of commands in the Old Testament Law and instead calls on us to love. First John 4:7–8 declares, “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” First John 5:3 continues, “This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome.”

Some use the fact that we are not under the Old Testament Law as an excuse to sin. The apostle Paul addresses this very issue in Romans. “What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!” (Romans 6:15). For the follower of Christ, the avoidance of sin is to be accomplished out of love for God and love for others. Love is to be our motivation. When we recognize the value of Jesus’ sacrifice on our behalf, our response is to be love, gratitude, and obedience. When we understand the sacrifice Jesus made for us and others, our response is to be to follow His example in expressing love to others. Our motivation for overcoming sin should be love, not a desire to legalistically obey a series of commandments. We are to obey the law of Christ because we love Him, not so that we can check off a list of commands that we successfully obeyed. - https://www.gotquestions.org/law-of-Christ.html
    I agree with you, it seems that if we know and love God, He will let us know what to do or not do, right from wrong. In turn, because we want to devote ourselves to God and to know Him more, we will love Him and in loving Him, we will avoid sinning against Him.

Thankfully we are free in Christ.

Simply stated, we find it in Matthew 22:34-40. The very words of Jesus.

34 But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. 35 One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

Pay special attention to verse 40.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

-
    Rom 6:11 . . Count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

"dead to sin" in this case doesn't mean Christ's sheep don't sin (cf. 1John 1:8-10). It means that sin no longer has the power to create an impassible barrier between them and God like it did before. No; those days are over.

Heb 13:5 . . God has said: Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.

God promised Jacob pretty much the very same thing.

Gen 28:15 . . I am with you, and will watch over you, wherever you go; and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.

Rom 6:12-13 . . Do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness.

Cain was given similar instructions.

Gen 4:7 . . If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.

Rom 12:1 . . Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Sacrifices are basically things dedicated to God; i.e. set aside for God's purposes and/or utilized in such a way as to make God proud instead of disgusted and/or disappointed.

/

-
    Was this a question for discussion, or are you just posting scripture? Not sure what direction this is going.

/
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

-
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    Was this a question for discussion, or are you just posting scripture? Not sure what direction this is going.
    Either way is fine by me. If you have a perspective of your own you'd like to throw in, please feel welcome to do so.

/

-
    Rom 12:2 . . Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

I heard a story about some students in a seminary who prayed about an upcoming exam instead of cracking the books and burning the midnight oil. Apparently they were somehow under the impression that the information they needed for the exam would somehow drift up out of the duck feathers where God had it stored in their pillows and be miraculously absorbed by the gray cells in their brains-- and this while they were fast asleep. Long story short; they all got an F on their exams; not because the professor despised their laziness; no, because they simply didn't know the answers.

Moral of the story is: in order to "renew your mind" and to "prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" one must take the initiative to crack the books, so to speak; viz: study the Bible via either reading, sermons, Sunday school classes, seminars, lectures, and/or radio programs like Thru The Bible and Back To The Bible, et al. This injunction isn't optional, no; it's one of Christ's many commandments; and I'm pretty sure he expects it to be obeyed by people loyal to his regime.

/

-
    Rom 12:3 . . Be honest in your estimate of yourselves, measuring your value by how much faith God has given you.

Christians of little faith have little value; while Christians of great faith have great value; but should be careful not to let their great value go to their heads; if you know what I mean.

Rom 12:6 . . If God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out when you have faith that God is speaking through you.

The koiné Greek word for "prophesy" in that verse is from propheteia (prof ay-ti'-ah) which encompasses predictions. Predictors were common in the early church; for example Agabus' predictions at Acts 11:27-28 and Acts 21:10-11. Hunches don't count as God speaking through you. You have to really know it. Don't ask me how to really know it because I don't have the gift.

Rom 12:7a . . If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well.

"serving well" implies serving conscientiously and whole-heartedly rather than half-baked and/or hit and miss.

One of my brothers has been a construction foreman for decades and one of his perpetual complaints is that he never knows from one day to the next whether some of the men he hires on jobs will show up. In other words: they aren't reliable— he can't count on them. What I'm saying is: if you're thinking about becoming helpful in some way, don't do it unless you're willing to commit to the long haul because people need to know that they can depend on you to stay the course.

/

-
    Rom 12:7b . . If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching.

I had a Sunday school teacher once who worked as a maintenance man in a public swimming facility. One Saturday he had to work very late repairing some equipment at the pool and had no time to prepare his lesson plan for Sunday morning so he just threw something together. It stunk; and my wife and I got nothing out of it.

In contrast, I once knew a pastor who took all week long to prepare his Sunday morning sermons; rather than just Saturday night. Now there was a guy who knew what it means to "do a good job of teaching".

NOTE: Internet forums have given many of us a convenient venue for sharing our beliefs with a worldwide audience. For that reason, I highly recommend composing tidy, neatly arranged posts. Grossly large paragraphs, overuse of bolding, caps, and colors, coupled with too many misspelled words, makes for slob posts and forum graffiti that leave a bad impression. And for God's sake don't quarrel with people; the world is watching.

Rom 12:8a . . If your gift is to encourage others, then do so.

You know who really benefits from encouragement in a big way? Little kids. Thoughtless grown-ups can break a growing child's fragile spirit by criticizing them all the time and never once giving them an "atta boy" or a single vote of confidence. A fitting word spoken at just the right moment can really beef up somebody's resolve to meet life head on. If you're good at that sort of thing, then watch for opportunities among your fellow Christians to do so.

NOTE: The kind of encouragement about which that passage speaks is just as much, and just as valuable, as any of the other spiritual gifts, e.g. speaking in tongues, translating tongues, miracles, teaching, healing, faith, evangelism, and prophecy etc. If encouragement is a gift, then it must be needed or the Spirit wouldn't bother to distribute it as per 1Cor 12:1-11.

/
    Last edited by Sa:ji:sdo:de; Dec 28th 2017 at 02:45 PM.

-
    Rom 12:8b . . If you have money, share it generously.

There are some people barely making ends meet who nevertheless make an effort to include charities in their budgets, while others loaded with dough are misers in that they only give what they have to and nothing more. The "extra mile" is foreign to their concept of what it means to be generous.

Rom 12:8c . . If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously.

A natural aptitude for church management doesn't count. It has to be God-given; i.e. a legitimate Spirit-endowed ability. (cf. Rom 12:3-8, 1Cor 12:4-11, 1Cor 12:27-30). There are far too many people sitting on church boards merely because they're a success in business. Well; if your church is run like a business instead of a sheepfold; then maybe you should think about finding another one.

/

-
    Rom 12:8d . . If you have a gift for showing kindness to others, do it gladly.

That would probably correspond to incidents like the one depicted in the parable of the man attacked by road agents in Luke 10:30-36. In that instance, a passerby had the skills and the wherewithal to provide care for a total stranger in need.

Personally, I'm not much at first aid and/or emergency medical services. But what we're getting at here is that should you find yourself in circumstances where you can be of genuine, effective assistance; don't lend a hand grudging. It ought to make Christians happy to be of assistance instead of getting irritated and grumpy about an unexpected inconvenience.

A solo Pacific Crest Trail hiker named Cheryl Strayed, in her book WILD, recounts an evening wherein she was very low on funds and having no luck locating a suitable place in the woods to set up her tent before it got really dark.

Cheryl found her way into a fee campground and set up at the extreme end of the facility where she thought no one would mind; but later that night the caretakers came by and, in a not-so-friendly tone, insisted that she either pay the $12 fee or break camp and leave. The Christian thing to do would have been to pay the fee for her instead of forcing a woman to wander out into the pitch black forest all alone at night.

NOTE: Knowing Cheryl from her book, I've no doubt she would have gladly given the caretakers an I.O.U. and paid them back.

/

-
    Rom 12:9a . . Don't just pretend that you love others.

Webster's defines "pretense" as fiction, make-believe, and/or simulation. Ironically, pretense is foundational to ordinary civility and common courtesy. But when it comes to love; Christians should never put on a front. In other words: don't lead someone on to believe you care for them when in reality you don't. That's not only dishonest; it's cruel.

Rom 12:9b . . Hate what is evil.

Hating evil is second nature to God-fearing people; or at least it should be.

Ps 97:10 . .You who love Yhvh: hate evil.

Job 1:1 . . In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil.

Prv 8:13 . .The fear of The Lord is to hate evil. Pride and arrogance and the evil way, and the perverted mouth, I hate.

/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sa:ji:sdo:de View Post
    -

Either way is fine by me. If you have a perspective of your own you'd like to throw in, please feel welcome to do so.

/
    Please be mindful that this forum is a "no debate" forum. It is for encouragement and edification and serves as a haven for those who want to escape the strife that often comes in our other forums. I am not sure if you were aware of that so I am just giving a gentle reminder. I enjoy your posts brother and I even believe that one in particular spoke to a particular situation in my life. It was the one on total honesty and the difficulty I have in that working in corporate America.

However, I do encourage you to interact more with those who respond to your threads

There are others who are well aware of this rule and have been warned several times about debating here. I have had to move numerous threads to BC because they have been turned into debates. Please be aware that if this happens in this safe haven then posts will disappear. Let us try to fellowship and encourage one another here by finding common ground. There are several other sub-forums where you can debate to your heart's desire. This sub-forum has a different purpose.

Blessings to all
    2 Ti 2:14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

Thread Information