Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who are Gog and Magog?

Who are Gog and Magog?

Ezekiel 38 and 39

And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying: 'Son of man, set thy face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him, and say: Thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; and I will turn thee about, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed most gorgeously, a great company with buckler and shield, all of them handling swords: Persia, Cush, and Put with them, all of them with shield and helmet; Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah in the uttermost parts of the north, and all his bands; even many peoples with thee. Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou guarded of them. After many days thou shalt be mustered for service, in the latter years thou shalt come against the land that is brought back from the sword, that is gathered out of many peoples, against the mountains of Israel, which have been a continual waste; but it is brought forth out of the peoples, and they dwell safely all of them. And thou shalt ascend, thou shalt come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many peoples with thee.

Thus saith the Lord GOD: It shall come to pass in that day, that things shall come into thy mind, and thou shalt devise an evil device; and thou shalt say: I will go up against the land of unwalled villages; I will come upon them that are at quiet, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates; to take the spoil and to take the prey; to turn thy hand against the waste places that are now inhabited, and against the people that are gathered out of the nations, that have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the middle of the earth. Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the magnates thereof, shall say unto thee: Comest thou to take the spoil? hast thou assembled thy company to take the prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take great spoil?

Therefore, son of man, prophesy, and say unto Gog: Thus saith the Lord GOD: In that day when My people Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it? And thou shalt come from thy place out of the uttermost parts of the north, thou, and many peoples with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company and a mighty army; and thou shalt come up against My people Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the end of days, and I will bring thee against My land, that the nations may know Me, when I shall be sanctified through thee, O Gog, before their eyes.

Thus saith the Lord GOD: Art thou he of whom I spoke in old time by My servants the prophets of Israel, that prophesied in those days for many years, that I would bring thee against them?

And it shall come to pass in that day, when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that My fury shall arise up in My nostrils. For in My jealousy and in the fire of My wrath have I spoken: Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; so that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field and all creeping things that creep upon the ground, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at My presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground. And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD; every man's sword shall be against his brother. And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will cause to rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many peoples that are with him, an overflowing shower, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone. Thus will I magnify Myself, and sanctify Myself, and I will make Myself known in the eyes of many nations; and they shall know that I am the LORD.

And thou, son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say: Thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; and I will turn thee about and lead thee on, and will cause thee to come up from the uttermost parts of the north; and I will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel; and I will smite thy bow out of thy left hand, and will cause thine arrows to fall out of thy right hand. Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the peoples that are with thee; I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort and to the beasts of the field, to be devoured. Thou shalt fall upon the open field; for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD. And I will send a fire on Magog, and on them that dwell safely in the isles; and they shall know that I am the LORD. And My holy name will I make known in the midst of My people Israel; neither will I suffer My holy name to be profaned any more; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel. Behold, it cometh, and it shall be done, saith the Lord GOD; This is the day whereof I have spoken. And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall make fires of the weapons and use them as fuel, both the shields and the bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the hand-staves, and the spears, and they shall make fires of them seven years; so that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut down any out of the forests, for they shall make fires of the weapons; and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord GOD.

And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will give unto Gog a place fit for burial in Israel, the valley of them that pass through on the east of the sea; and it shall stop them that pass through; and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude; and they shall call it the valley of Hamon-gog. And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying them, that they may cleanse the land. Yea, all the people of the land shall bury them, and it shall be to them a renown; in the day that I shall be glorified, saith the Lord GOD. And they shall set apart men of continual employment, that shall pass through the land to bury with them that pass through those that remain upon the face of the land, to cleanse it; after the end of seven months shall they search. And when they that pass through shall pass through the land, and any seeth a man's bone, then shall he set up a sign by it, till the buriers have buried it in the valley of Hamon-gog. And Hamonah shall also be the name of a city. Thus shall they cleanse the land.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Re: Who are Gog and Magog?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Ezekiel 38 and 39

And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying: 'Son of man, set thy face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him, and say: Thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; and I will turn thee about, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed most gorgeously, a great company with buckler and shield, all of them handling swords: Persia, Cush, and Put with them, all of them with shield and helmet; Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah in the uttermost parts of the north, and all his bands; even many peoples with thee. Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou guarded of them. After many days thou shalt be mustered for service, in the latter years thou shalt come against the land that is brought back from the sword, that is gathered out of many peoples, against the mountains of Israel, which have been a continual waste; but it is brought forth out of the peoples, and they dwell safely all of them. And thou shalt ascend, thou shalt come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many peoples with thee.

Thus saith the Lord GOD: It shall come to pass in that day, that things shall come into thy mind, and thou shalt devise an evil device; and thou shalt say: I will go up against the land of unwalled villages; I will come upon them that are at quiet, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates; to take the spoil and to take the prey; to turn thy hand against the waste places that are now inhabited, and against the people that are gathered out of the nations, that have gotten cattle and goods, that dwell in the middle of the earth. Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the magnates thereof, shall say unto thee: Comest thou to take the spoil? hast thou assembled thy company to take the prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take great spoil?

Therefore, son of man, prophesy, and say unto Gog: Thus saith the Lord GOD: In that day when My people Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it? And thou shalt come from thy place out of the uttermost parts of the north, thou, and many peoples with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company and a mighty army; and thou shalt come up against My people Israel, as a cloud to cover the land; it shall be in the end of days, and I will bring thee against My land, that the nations may know Me, when I shall be sanctified through thee, O Gog, before their eyes.

Thus saith the Lord GOD: Art thou he of whom I spoke in old time by My servants the prophets of Israel, that prophesied in those days for many years, that I would bring thee against them?

And it shall come to pass in that day, when Gog shall come against the land of Israel, saith the Lord GOD, that My fury shall arise up in My nostrils. For in My jealousy and in the fire of My wrath have I spoken: Surely in that day there shall be a great shaking in the land of Israel; so that the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the heaven, and the beasts of the field and all creeping things that creep upon the ground, and all the men that are upon the face of the earth, shall shake at My presence, and the mountains shall be thrown down, and the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground. And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD; every man's sword shall be against his brother. And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will cause to rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many peoples that are with him, an overflowing shower, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone. Thus will I magnify Myself, and sanctify Myself, and I will make Myself known in the eyes of many nations; and they shall know that I am the LORD.

And thou, son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say: Thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal; and I will turn thee about and lead thee on, and will cause thee to come up from the uttermost parts of the north; and I will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel; and I will smite thy bow out of thy left hand, and will cause thine arrows to fall out of thy right hand. Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the peoples that are with thee; I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort and to the beasts of the field, to be devoured. Thou shalt fall upon the open field; for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD. And I will send a fire on Magog, and on them that dwell safely in the isles; and they shall know that I am the LORD. And My holy name will I make known in the midst of My people Israel; neither will I suffer My holy name to be profaned any more; and the nations shall know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel. Behold, it cometh, and it shall be done, saith the Lord GOD; This is the day whereof I have spoken. And they that dwell in the cities of Israel shall go forth, and shall make fires of the weapons and use them as fuel, both the shields and the bucklers, the bows and the arrows, and the hand-staves, and the spears, and they shall make fires of them seven years; so that they shall take no wood out of the field, neither cut down any out of the forests, for they shall make fires of the weapons; and they shall spoil those that spoiled them, and rob those that robbed them, saith the Lord GOD.

And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will give unto Gog a place fit for burial in Israel, the valley of them that pass through on the east of the sea; and it shall stop them that pass through; and there shall they bury Gog and all his multitude; and they shall call it the valley of Hamon-gog. And seven months shall the house of Israel be burying them, that they may cleanse the land. Yea, all the people of the land shall bury them, and it shall be to them a renown; in the day that I shall be glorified, saith the Lord GOD. And they shall set apart men of continual employment, that shall pass through the land to bury with them that pass through those that remain upon the face of the land, to cleanse it; after the end of seven months shall they search. And when they that pass through shall pass through the land, and any seeth a man's bone, then shall he set up a sign by it, till the buriers have buried it in the valley of Hamon-gog. And Hamonah shall also be the name of a city. Thus shall they cleanse the land.
    Actually though, I would be more interested into hearing who you think these are meaning. IOW I would love to get a Jewish perspective on this one. Do you, like I, feel these prophecies are yet to be fulfilled? There are apparently some Christians who conclude these prophecies have already been fulfilled, yet they never come up with any proof of that though. They basically conclude it's been fulfilled because of the imagery of ancient weaponry, for one. I don't find that a real compelling reason to conclude that myself.

The imagery of ancient weapons is meaningless since our modern weapons would be unrecognizable to people in that time. Including the prophets.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

The imagery of ancient weapons is meaningless since our modern weapons would be unrecognizable to people in that time. Including the prophets.
    Exactly. That sums up my thoughts as well.

Blog Entries

Seems Gog is from the Land of Magog.
    Gog is stated as being chief prince of the people of Meshech and Tubal, which implies those people live in Magog.
    So if we know who those people are and then where they live we may have an idea.

Blog Entries

Hey Fenris,

It seems to me that Gog is a military ruler from the land of Magog that persecutes the nation of Israel just prior to the inauguration of the Messianic Kingdom on the earth, the resurrection of the dead saints and the fulfillment of the Abrahamic land covenant promised to the Patriarchs and the Seed.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    Hey Fenris,

It seems to me that Gog is a military ruler from the land of Magog that persecutes the nation of Israel just prior to the inauguration of the Messianic Kingdom on the earth, the resurrection of the dead saints and the fulfillment of the Abrahamic land covenant promised to the Patriarchs and the Seed.

Thoughts?
    Sounds good. Now who is it?

Isaiah 54

Sounds good. Now who is it?

Probably Russia, with Turkey and Iran in tow. Russia and Iran have military bases on the boarder of Israel and Syria right now, and the Trump Embassy thing has Turkey infuriated just as they are signing pacts with Russia and Iran.

Recent events involving all of these in Syria have made for an epic set up this year unlike anything ever seen.

Of course, those may not be the characters and we could be wrong about that, and I'm sure several people could post long explanations about why its this or that country instead. I myself and not very dogmatic in this area and just enjoy hearing different views and speculations.

I don't think any of us have enough info to be that dogmatic about it yet, even with the dramatic events of the last year. There will be no mystery at all when Gog and his armies make their move.

Here's an interesting article I just found. Can't say I might agree with it, but it does seem to make a cpl of good points, nonetheless. Since it's not a real lengthy article, I pasted it in it's entirety since some folks might not care to check out links one has submitted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Almost every end-time teaching today has Gog/Magog invading Israel before the coming of Messiah. All the Biblical nations mentioned in this invasion have been matched up with today’s countries and are being carefully monitored. With Russia’s sudden reentry into the Middle East allied with Syria and Iran many are asking nervously, “is this Gog’s Axis of Evil?”

But could all our concern about Gog’s army be completely misplaced? The Bible only mentions Gog and Magog in two places: Ezekiel 38:1- 39:16 and Revelation 20:7-11. Ezekiel’s prophecy doesn’t give us a precise timing for Gog’s attack other than he will be summoned “in the latter years.” But John’s revelation is very specific. He places Gog’s invasion at the end of the 1000-year reign of Messiah.

So why are so many biblical prognosticators certain Gog will attack before Yeshua even gets here? Especially when the conditions needed to provoke his attack in Ezekiel’s prophecy depict the supernatural peace of the Messianic Age? Ezekiel’s prophecy describes an Israel – “restored from the sword, whose inhabitants are …all living securely, all of them…and without walls and having no bars or gates.” But how can that type of peace and security exist prior toYeshua coming and destroying Antichrist and the evil world system? (Rev. 19:11-21)

I know many believe Antichrist will trick Israel into accepting a false peace plan. But in today’s world, does anyone seriously think Israel would dismantle its nuclear deterrent, Iron Dome defense and world-class army and air force, and just kick back and raise sheep? I don’t care how beguiling Antichrist’s peace plan might be, Israel has learned its lesson about trusting any Gentile power with its security. Their slogan is, “Never again!”

I believe it’s time to reconsider some things. When we look at the preceding chapters in Ezekiel we see a succession of prophecies that must be fulfilled for this unprecedented peace and security to be present in Israel before the Gog/Magog invasion.

Starting in chapter 28: 24,25 we read the security starts after scattered Israel comes into the land, and all her enemies “who scorned them round about” are no more. God’s holiness will then be manifested in them “in the sight of all the nations.” Neither is the case today.

In chapter 34, we learn the scattered ‘sheep’ of BOTH Israel’s two kingdoms must be regathered, not just the descendants of Judah, and all living under one shepherd, Messiah. “And I will make a covenant of peace with them…and they will live securely and no one will make them afraid” (v. 25). Even harmful animals will be eliminated so the people “…may sleep in the woods.”

In chapter 37 we have the famous two-stick prophecy that graphically symbolizes the reunion of Judah and Israel under “My servant David.” And it states, “I will make a covenant of peace with them” – which results in Israel entering her Millennium rest with “…My sanctuary in their midst forever.”

That brings us to chapter 38 where we find this amazing peace now in place and Gog being summoned “after many days” to attack “the land restored from the sword” and those “who are at rest.” Surely this describes the millennial reign of Messiah when “the wolf will live with the lamb” (Isa. 11:6). And “nation will not lift up sword against nation, and never again learn war” (Isaiah 2:4) – that is, until Satan is let loose one more time!

If so, whatever Russia’s presence might mean today, we know Gog won’t show up for at least another thousand years!

Maybe we should be focusing on what’s needed to bring about this awesome end-time peace and security – namely, the reunion of Judah and Israel. And if this growing fellowship of Zionist Christians and Jews today isn’t the start of that reunion, I don’t know what is.
    http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsIte...9/Default.aspx

Ezekiel 39:21-29 is the reason many see this invasion as 2 fold; in the tribulation and then at the end of the 1000 years.

Some other details in Ezekiel 36-39 and a few other prophets suggest this also, but Ez 39:21-29 would be the most obvious evidence. Its really hard to place that passage in the Millennium.

Quote Originally Posted by Johosophat View Post
    Probably Russia, with Turkey and Iran in tow. Russia and Iran have military bases on the boarder of Israel and Syria right now., and the Trump Embassy thing has Turkey infuriated just as they are signing pacts with Russia and Iran.

Recent events involving all of these in Syria have made for an epic set up this year unlike anything ever seen.
    This is...actually very reasonable.

Isaiah 54

Quote Originally Posted by Johosophat View Post
    Ezekiel 39:21-29 is the reason many see this invasion as 2 fold; in the tribulation and then at the end of the 1000 years.

Some other details in Ezekiel 36-39 and a few other prophets suggest this also, but Ez 39:21-29 would be the most obvious evidence. Its really hard to place that passage in the Millennium.
    IMO, though I submitted that article, I don't see anything in Ez 38 or 39 that could possibly fit in the millennium if the millennium is after Christ returns. But if the millennium is meaning before Christ returns, such as Amils believe, maybe then it could be in the millennium, actually after though, since it would be after the millennium that this attack occurs.

This is...actually very reasonable.
    So how does one explain the following part which has to be the case before the attack occurs?

Ezekiel 38:8 After many days thou shalt be visited: in the latter years thou shalt come into the land that is brought back from the sword, and is gathered out of many people, against the mountains of Israel, which have been always waste: but it is brought forth out of the nations, and they shall dwell safely all of them.

Blog Entries

Very true, nevertheless, it doesn't make it completely unrecognisable to the discerning scholar. For example, wherever we see "sword" in scripture, one should understand that it means "gun" in our modern age. However, there are many inventions (missiles, bombs, planes etc) that didn't exist in their time, so they didn't have names for them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Beginner View Post
    Hey Fenris,

Thoughts?
    So you believe a land literally called Magog will come into existence in the future?

Thread Information