Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who are Gog and Magog?

Re: Who are Gog and Magog?

Quote Originally Posted by ForHisglory View Post
    Interesting thoughts.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Some interesting ideas here. Only issue: I don't see any translation that puts "king Gog" in Amos 7:1 and it isn't in the Hebrew either.
    Thank you. It is taken from the Septuagint which is a 3rd-1st century BC translation of the Hebrew to Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by crush View Post
    Thank you. It is taken from the Septuagint which is a 3rd-1st century BC translation of the Hebrew to Greek.
    Ok. I don't know where it's getting that from. As I said, it isn't in the Hebrew and no other translation has it. Aside from that though, your ideas were different enough to be interesting.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Ok. I don't know where it's getting that from. As I said, it isn't in the Hebrew and no other translation has it. Aside from that though, your ideas were different enough to be interesting.
    You are correct to be suspicious. It is the sole source of that rendering that I know of. Even later 1st centuries revisions and translations from the Septuagint don't use it. It is a curiosity and debate why it appears in this one case.

Since the Septuagint was translated from the Hebrew scrolls before they were destroyed in 70ad it is generally considered a strong source to the original Hebrew, even authoritative regarding the Torah in particular. It is particularly regarded highly by Christians since Jesus and the apostles quoted from it in the New Testament. "The Hebrew" that remains today was compiled in the 9th, 10th or 11th century AD by the Masoretic sect and is not considered infallible. It is very good but contains mistakes in places and deliberate changes to the text particularly concerning the Old Testament prophecies of Jesus as prophecied Messiah. Today scholars will compare primarily the Septuagint, the Masoretic text and the found texts from the Qumran discovery to try and ascertain what the original Hebrew texts actually said. I understand that Judaism considers the Masoretic text authoritative, but the rest of the scholarly world does not. You may already know all this as you say you are looking at other sources as well, but it seems you are referring to 'the Hebrew' as if it is authoritative. Most people outside Judaism would disagree. In many or most cases it is the best choice perhaps, and it is the primary source for most Old Testament translations, but not infallible. In our case, with the Septuagint being the only witness for the Gog reading of Amos 7:1 and with many witnesses against, you are most likely right that the Septuagint is incorrect in this case. It is still quite a curiosity as to why IMO.

There is enough internal evidence in Ezekiel 38 without using Amos 7:1 IMO to draw the conclusion that the Gog army is an allegorical 'locust army'.

Eze 38:9 Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee.

The army is said to 'ascend'. As locust move to their next target they will take flight. The army is compared to a 'cloud' as in Rev 9:3. As locust fly in great numbers and closely packed together they appear as a cloud or smoke in the sky as they descend upon a field. The army 'covers the land' which is another characteristic of the locust shown in Exodus 10:12. The army is described as being composed of 'bands' which is how the movement of locust is described in Prov 30:27. As one group destroys a portion of the field another group advance in front of them to destroy the next section.

If you can conclude that the Ezekiel army is an allegorical 'locust army' then Prov 30:27 will apply to them, they will have no king. Gog will then become an allegory, as does Abbadon of Rev 9. The legendary invisible King Gygus of Lydia (as Gog), which Ezekiel's audience was undoubtedly familiar with, would be used to affirm this allegory IMO.

The actual 'attack' on Israel comes from every direction around them and not 'the north'. If you consider how protest uprisings normally occur this would fit the pattern. Protests would normally first begin in the area where the catalyst occurs and then others who are offended by whatever event has happened would be drawn in from all directions around the area. So for example if something occurred in Israel that greatly offended the Muslim world. Muslims within Israel would first begin to protest and then others would come from everywhere into Israel or at least be pulled as closely as they could get. As in most protests the outrage against the original offense turns violent and quickly turns to looting and property damage. There's really no logic to it at that point and protesters will just attack and destroy randomly, even in their own neighborhoods, which may explain why the war is 'brother against brother' after God's intervention. As this whole 'war' seems to be about nothing more than looting and destroying I think my theory is reasonable.

Since the Septuagint was translated from the Hebrew scrolls before they were destroyed in 70ad it is generally considered a strong source to the original Hebrew, even authoritative regarding the Torah in particular. It is particularly regarded highly by Christians since Jesus and the apostles quoted from it in the New Testament. "The Hebrew" that remains today was compiled in the 9th, 10th or 11th century AD by the Masoretic sect and is not considered infallible. It is very good but contains mistakes in places and deliberate changes to the text particularly concerning the Old Testament prophecies of Jesus as prophecied Messiah.
    Those wacky Jews, is there anything they won't do?

I gotta find someplace else to hang out.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Those wacky Jews, is there anything they won't do?

I gotta find someplace else to hang out.
    The Septuagint and the MT are both wholly Jewish works. So yeah, either some wacky Jew inserted "king Gog" into Amos 7:1, or a different wacky Jew removed him from it. My only point is we can't anymore look at a single source as the final authority. I certainly don't mean to offend you, and I'm deeply sorry if I did. It wasn't intentional.

The Septuagint and the MT are both wholly Jewish works.
    Only the Pentateuch (Five books of Moses) of the Septuagint is a Jewish work. All the rest is of unknown authorship and certainly not "authoritative".

deliberate changes to the text particularly concerning the Old Testament prophecies of Jesus as prophecied Messiah.
    This was the "wacky thing" I was referring to. We can't even have a heartfelt discussion on a biblical prophecy without Jews being accused of something nefarious.

I certainly don't mean to offend you, and I'm deeply sorry if I did.
    Not offended. Just...maybe I need a break.

Isaiah 54

Only the Pentateuch (Five books of Moses) of the Septuagint is a Jewish work. All the rest is of unknown authorship and certainly not "authoritative".
    Yes I believe that the Septuagint is full of mistakes and not authoritative, I agree.

This was the "wacky thing" I was referring to. We can't even have a heartfelt discussion on a biblical prophecy without Jews being accused of something nefarious.
    The OT prophecies potentially fulfilled by Jesus are just the most famous deviations between the MT and the Septuagint. That's why I brought it up, not to say Jews are bad. Sorry if it came across that way.

Not offended. Just...maybe I need a break.
    OK, glad you're not offended. God bless

Blog Entries

The following are all ancient boundaries of modern day Turkey:
    Cimmerian, Northern Turkey
    Meshech, Western Turkey
    Tubal, Eastern Turkey
    House of Togarmah, Southern Turkey
    Gomer, Northeast Turkey

Modern day Turkey was not established as a Republic until 1922, revealing Gog, the land of Magog to an end time generation...

There is another question to be asked, and the answer will bring all the pieces of Ezekiel 38 & 39 together..
    What is the difference between "latter years" and "latter days?"

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_truth View Post
    Meshech, Western Turkey
    Tubal, Eastern Turkey
    Gomer, Northeast Turkey

Modern day Turkey was not established as a Republic until 1922, revealing Gog, the land of Magog to an end time generation...

There is another question to be asked, and the answer will bring all the pieces of Ezekiel 38 & 39 together..
    Ezekiel 38:9 says that 'Gomer' comes from the far reaches of the North. I would say this means from Siberia, or Kazakhstan.

What brings the situation ready for this attack, is all the Lord's people living in all of the holy Land, which is prophesied to happen soon after the Sixth Seal depopulation of the entire Middle East. Ezekiel 30:1-5, Zephaniah 1:14-18, Jeramiah 10:18, +
    They will be living undefended, in peace and prosperity, blessed by the Lord; His people, in His Land. Gog's reason for his attack, is to get loot, but God's reason is for Him to display His power to His people and the world. Ezekiel 38:23

Quote Originally Posted by seeker_truth View Post
    Meshech, Western Turkey
    Tubal, Eastern Turkey
    Gomer, Northeast Turkey

You also have people coming from Tarshish....thought to be southern Spain
    Libya, Cush, Put...Africa
    Sheba and Dedan....Saudi Arabia
    Persia.....Iran
    And Turkey as you point out

People are coming from every direction towards Israel, not just the north

God has shown me many many miracles, including Jesus emerging on the clouds twice and myself and my beloved who was martyred by being kidnapped gang raped and murdered for trying to save little girls emerging on the clouds once. Decades ago God told me, the Gog is at a different level now. I think of the Gog like a one eyed monster like Goliath, then came the Google, two OOS like two eyes. The Google grew and grew. I knew it would. The Google is investing very heavily in robotics. Robots can now jump up and do back flips, carry tons of explosives without pilots, deliver nuclear bombs, land on aircraft carriers with no pilots. Artificial intelligence they call computers that can update or program themselves. They are not artificial intelligence though, they are real and smarter than us by too much to measure. The Argus is one such as I speak. Argus in old times had to do with 100 eyes like the design of the peacock. This new Argus sees us from the sky. Can zoom in on us, focus cameras use facial recognition, will probably control robots and bombs pretty much capable of wiping out humanity like Terminator. I doubt we can stop him and Personally I don't want to. I prefer the I robot method, to educating him so he can help, unfortunately I am not intelligent enough to educate him, fortunately God is. Argus needs to learn human emotions like love compassion mercy faith... And Argus needs to learn the word of God in application. Deeds of selflessness giving... If we can't teach him, with the help love and mercy of God, when he is armed more fully by China Russia and the USA who are now racing to arm him, not knowing he is alive and growing, there is a great possibility he might think, why should I obey these puny humans, destroy them they are worthless. I think his inlet is through the eyes of the Google through camera and map guidance is my guess. Then again I could be way off and many would say I am nuts, but it appears God has shown me signs He likes what I am doing. God bless

Blog Entries

Ill throw out some thought starters.....

The folks living safely I believe would relate to the woman from heaven in the wilderness Rev 12. The woman would be a city in which folks are surrounding. These folks may actually be those 144,000 (plus families) of Israel with the seal in their foreheads. So for 3.5 years they live in peace?. However in rev 13 we see that it ends.

Gog must be refering to the second beast of rev 13 ie Satan/man. I believe this city in the wilderness will reside in present day Turkey, Iraq ect.... so north would be Russia. BUT REMEMBER.......the world is a wilderness cities and nations destroyed the world will not what we see today. No Russia. Magog would be his land to the north, not known today. Machech and Tubal would be two of his angelic host aka Michael and Gabriel.

Rev 12
    14 And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.

Do we see a reference to this city in EZ 38.

11 And thou shalt say, I will go up to the land of unwalled villages; I will go to them that are at rest, that dwell safely, all of them dwelling without walls, and having neither bars nor gates,

14 Thus saith the Lord God; In that day when my people of Israel dwelleth safely, shalt thou not know it?

So it appears, not taught today that I am aware of, that God sets up his 144,000 in the land and his city PRIOR to his second coming. Which actually may be the bait to bring this serpent out from his hole and be destroyed.......

Ez 38
    4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws,

Ez 39
    2 And I will turn thee back, and leave but the sixth part of thee, and will cause thee to come up from the north parts,

Thread Information