Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels

Angels

There is a complex order of celestial beings. Terms such as principalities, powers, and dominions give only a vague notion of this realm.
    Our understanding of spirit beings is limited to what is found in scripture.

Here are a few things we know about angels:

-God made his angels ministering spirits. (Heb 1:7, 14)

-Angels are sometimes called sons of God. (Job 1:6; Job 2:1; Job 38:4-7)

-Angels often have the appearance of men. (Gen 18:2; Gen 19:5)

-Angels neither marry nor are given in marriage. (Matt 22:30)

-There are only 2 times when angels are said to fly: Daniel’s vision in Dan 9:21 and John’s vision in Rev 14:6.

-There is no scripture that states that angels have wings.

-Two angels are named: Michael and Gabriel. Michael is the archangel which stands for Israel. He is called “your prince” (Dan 10:21), “the great prince” (Dan 12:1), and “the archangel” (Jude 1:9)…Gabriel is called “the man Gabriel” in Dan 9:21. Gabriel was sent to Zacharias in Luke 1:19 and to Mary in Luke 1:26.

-God and His holy angels are juxtaposed against Satan and his angels. (Matt 25:31; Rev 12:9)

-We are told not to worship angels. (Col 2:18)

-Angels cannot separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Ro 8:38)

Re: Angels

Quote Originally Posted by verity View Post
    There is a complex order of celestial beings. Terms such as principalities, powers, and dominions give only a vague notion of this realm.

-Angels are sometimes called sons of God. (Job 1:6; Job 2:1; Job 38:4-7)

-Angels often have the appearance of men. (Gen 18:2; Gen 19:5)

-Angels neither marry nor are given in marriage. (Matt 22:30)

-There are only 2 times when angels are said to fly: Daniel’s vision in Dan 9:21 and John’s vision in Rev 14:6.

-Two angels are named: Michael and Gabriel. Michael is the archangel which stands for Israel. He is called “your prince” (Dan 10:21), “the great prince” (Dan 12:1), and “the archangel” (Jude 1:9)…Gabriel is called “the man Gabriel” in Dan 9:21. Gabriel was sent to Zacharias in Luke 1:19 and to Mary in Luke 1:26.

-God and His holy angels are juxtaposed against Satan and his angels. (Matt 25:31; Rev 12:9)

-We are told not to worship angels. (Col 2:18)

-Angels cannot separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Ro 8:38)
    And there's this as well...

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Jude
    “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

― Jim Elliot

Here is a good 9 part study on angels. Link to blog on angels https://agapegeek.com/2010/09/30/und...angels-part-1/

Blog Entries

Angels also have a great part in the end times scenario:

1) They Gather Elect
    2) They physically Seal people
    3) They are with Christ
    4) They War against Satan

Matthew 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

Matthew 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Mark 13:27 And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.

Rev 7:2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, 3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. 4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. 9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Matthew 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

Mark 8:38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Jude and Soldier_of_Faith, Thank you for adding to the study. Another note about angels is that they are not immune to punishment if they sin:

Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains of darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Angels can do battle on our behalf to bring us a message . Daniel chapter 10 .

Not made, makes. They are created beings as man, so much so you may not realize you're in the presence of one. They are not just spirits. He makes these created beings like the wind, is what that passage is saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Noeb View Post
    Not made, makes. They are created beings as man, so much so you may not realize you're in the presence of one. They are not just spirits. He makes these created beings like the wind, is what that passage is saying.
    I stand corrected.

Heb 1:7And of the angels not he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Heb 7:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

What do you mean, "He makes these created beings like the wind?"

I understand that he created the angels. Job 38 tells us that the angels were already created before the LORD laid the foundations of the earth. (Job 38:4-7)

Col 1:12* Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:*
    Col 1:13* Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:*
    Col 1:14* In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:*
    Col 1:15* Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:*
    Col 1:16* For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:*
    Col 1:17* And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hawkman, yes angels are sent as messengers and they also do battle.

Rev 12:7 Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
    Rev 12:8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
    Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

I'll save myself some typing and quote
    Barnes
    "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits - He gives to them an inferior name, and assigns to them a more humble office. They are mere ministers, and have not ascribed to them the name of “Son.” They have a name which implies a more humble rank and office - the name “spirit,” and the appellation of a “flame of fire.” They obey his will as the winds and the lightnings do. The “object” of the apostle in this passage is to show that the angels serve God in a ministerial capacity - as the winds do; while the Son is Lord of all. The one serves him passively, as being wholly under his control; the other acts as a Sovereign, as Lord over all, and is addressed and regarded as the equal with God. This quotation is made from Psa_104:4. The passage “might” be translated, “Who maketh his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire;” that is, “who makes his angels like the winds, or as swift as the winds, and his ministers as rapid, as terrible, and as resistless as the lightning.”"

All one really has to do is look up the OT quote, realizing the NT writer is not making a different point.

Psa 104:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
    Psa 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
    Psa 104:3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind:
    Psa 104:4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:
    Psa 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.
    Psa 104:6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
    Psa 104:7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.

You get the idea.

Blog Entries

I'll save myself some typing and quote
    Barnes

"And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits - He gives to them an inferior name, and assigns to them a more humble office. They are mere ministers, and have not ascribed to them the name of “Son.” They have a name which implies a more humble rank and office - the name “spirit,” and the appellation of a “flame of fire.” They obey his will as the winds and the lightnings do. The “object” of the apostle in this passage is to show that the angels serve God in a ministerial capacity - as the winds do; while the Son is Lord of all. The one serves him passively, as being wholly under his control; the other acts as a Sovereign, as Lord over all, and is addressed and regarded as the equal with God. This quotation is made from Psa_104:4. The passage “might” be translated, “Who maketh his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire;” that is, “who makes his angels like the winds, or as swift as the winds, and his ministers as rapid, as terrible, and as resistless as the lightning.”"

All one really has to do is look up the OT quote, realizing the NT writer is not making a different point.

Psa 104:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
    Psa 104:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
    Psa 104:3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind:
    Psa 104:4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:
    Psa 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.
    Psa 104:6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
    Psa 104:7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.

You get the idea.
    I don't know, but I think I disagree with Barnes on this point... "They obey his will as the winds and the lightnings do." (In the sense that NOT ALL OF THEM DO...) So then they have free will... I also disagree with you if you believe God continues to "make" angels...

1) God created all things in the beginning: Nothing else was created after the 6th day...

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

2) Angels were created in the beginning at the time the "heaven" was created.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

3) Some Angels have disobeyed the Laws of God (for the Angels)

Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

Jude 1:9 Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

So then, knowing that Angels were created in the beginning, and knowing that angels have sinned, we can assume tat Angels get to make a choice if they will obey the Lord or not, similar to us.

Well that's not the point though is it? Does Psalm 104 touch on free will? No. The point is

Barnes - "This quotation is made from Psa_104:4. The passage “might” be translated, “Who maketh his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire;” that is, “who makes his angels like the winds, or as swift as the winds, and his ministers as rapid, as terrible, and as resistless as the lightning.”"

They are not spirits without bodies, just ghosts floating around. They are spiritual beings (there are spiritual and natural beings having a bodies as it pleased Him -1Cor 15) that God uses to accomplish his will. The author of Hebrews 1 is also not touching on free will, and why would he since Psalm 104 is not? Jews were very proud to have angels of God on their side. The author is pointing out the superiority of Jesus over them, not saying angels are ghosts. The author is pointing out the superiority of Jesus over angels just as Psalm 104 is declaring the superiority of God over angels as well as all things, which Hebrews does as well.

Quotes made in the NT are often verified in the OT. They never make a different point. We should always go back and read them in context. 1Co 2:9 is quoting Isa 64:4 (eye not seen, ear not heard), not to say we don't know what "Heaven" will be like, which is silly (why do people think this?) because it then says he has revealed it to apostles, but to compare the gospel of Jesus Christ to how God would do wondrous and miraculous things we wouldn't think of, or think to be what God should do. Oh God do something incredible like you used to....and he did, he sent His Son to die on a cross for us and ascend back to heaven. We didn't see that coming. It's not the wisdom of the world but of God. It's foolishness to them that perish. It's wisdom in a mystery that has been revealed. The foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Isaiah 6 says angels have six wings:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
    the whole earth is full of his glory.”

The Hebrew word for "angel" is the same as the word for "messenger". Can we conclude that angels are God's messengers, carrying out some mission on this earth?
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

I do not get your point, is makes,present continuous?

Blog Entries

Well that's not the point though is it? Does Psalm 104 touch on free will? No. The point is

Barnes - "This quotation is made from Psa_104:4. The passage “might” be translated, “Who maketh his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire;” that is, “who makes his angels like the winds, or as swift as the winds, and his ministers as rapid, as terrible, and as resistless as the lightning.”"

They are not spirits without bodies, just ghosts floating around. They are spiritual beings (there are spiritual and natural beings having a bodies as it pleased Him -1Cor 15) that God uses to accomplish his will. The author of Hebrews 1 is also not touching on free will, and why would he since Psalm 104 is not? Jews were very proud to have angels of God on their side. The author is pointing out the superiority of Jesus over them, not saying angels are ghosts. The author is pointing out the superiority of Jesus over angels just as Psalm 104 is declaring the superiority of God over angels as well as all things, which Hebrews does as well.

Quotes made in the NT are often verified in the OT. They never make a different point. We should always go back and read them in context. 1Co 2:9 is quoting Isa 64:4 (eye not seen, ear not heard), not to say we don't know what "Heaven" will be like, which is silly (why do people think this?) because it then says he has revealed it to apostles, but to compare the gospel of Jesus Christ to how God would do wondrous and miraculous things we wouldn't think of, or think to be what God should do. Oh God do something incredible like you used to....and he did, he sent His Son to die on a cross for us and ascend back to heaven. We didn't see that coming. It's not the wisdom of the world but of God. It's foolishness to them that perish. It's wisdom in a mystery that has been revealed. The foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
    I agree that Angels are not ghosts. Can they be unseen, I suppose so. They seem to appear out of nowhere in scripture. But do they have physical bodies, YES. But Jesus also appeared out of nowhere and had a physical body as well after He rose from the dead... So if you are making the point that Angels are not ghosts, I agree...

So to "make them ministering spirits or flames of fire" to me means that they were made as a spiritual being with physical properties. Fire has physical properties, but no substance... Heat, light, and energy, yet no HARD physical body. Angels have a touchable body, but yet it can phase in and out of our physical realm in some manner or another like a flame flickering in the night...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Isaiah 6 says angels have six wings:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another:

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
    the whole earth is full of his glory.”

The Hebrew word for "angel" is the same as the word for "messenger". Can we conclude that angels are God's messengers, carrying out some mission on this earth?
    Seraphims are only mentioned in Isaiah 6 in the vision given to Isaiah. Seraphims are not called angels. They are not referred to as ministering spirits or messengers. They are named but not really explained to us. What can we learn about them from these verses?

Isa 6:1* In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.*
    Isa 6:2* Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.*
    Isa 6:3* And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.*
    Isa 6:4* And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.*
    Isa 6:5* Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.*
    Isa 6:6* Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:*
    Isa 6:7* And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.*

-The seraphims stood above the throne of the Lord

-Each of the seraphims have six wings. With two wings he covered his face. With two wings he covered his feet. With two wings he did fly.

-One cried to another, "Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."

- The cry caused the posts of the door to move and the temple filled with smoke.

-One of the seraphims had a live coal in his hand (which he had gotten from the altar with tongs) and laid it on Isaiah's mouth.

- This being explained to Isaiah, "Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged."

Thread Information