Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and Christians

Blog Entries

Tattoos and Christians

I would be very interested in others thoughts about tattoos.

Can a Christian have one?

What if you got a Christian themed one?

I would be be a great way to open dialog about Christ. People would always ask “What does that mean”

I have read read a bit about the debate but I am interested in what others think about it.

Thoughts?
    “A” cannot be “A” & not “A” at the same time.

Re: Tattoos and Christians

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky22 View Post

I would be be a great way to open dialog about Christ. People would always ask “What does that mean”

I have read read a bit about the debate but I am interested in what others think about it.

Thoughts?
    Israel of old, God's People, received the Law of Moses to regulate their lives before the heathen. In this Law, tattoos were forbidden (Lev.14.1, 19:27-28, 21:5). Leviticus 19:28 is particularly clear; "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." Now, we Christians, God People, are not under this Law. WE have another Law, the Law of Life in Christ Jesus (Rom.8:2). Christ dwells in our spirits and it is there that we turn for His orders. So Romans 8:14 says; "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." So let no one but our Lord Jesus make a rule for you.

However, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2nd Timothy 3:16), so we know from the Law what the mind of God is. And since your body is the Temple of God, I would be very hesitant to mar it, or make a graven image on it. It is our lives that are our testimony before the heathen, not a graven image.

Pray about it.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walls View Post
    Israel of old, God's People, received the Law of Moses to regulate their lives before the heathen. In this Law, tattoos were forbidden (Lev.14.1, 19:27-28, 21:5). Leviticus 19:28 is particularly clear; "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD." Now, we Christians, God People, are not under this Law. WE have another Law, the Law of Life in Christ Jesus (Rom.8:2). Christ dwells in our spirits and it is there that we turn for His orders. So Romans 8:14 says; "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." So let no one but our Lord Jesus make a rule for you.

However, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2nd Timothy 3:16), so we know from the Law what the mind of God is. And since your body is the Temple of God, I would be very hesitant to mar it, or make a graven image on it. It is our lives that are our testimony before the heathen, not a graven image.

Pray about it.
    Hey Walls, with the same heart... God had Moses place v27 into the Law too.

Now... TO how many males Christians today, are you also pointing out that to shave their face/chin and that getting a haircut that removes hair from the temples... is as wrong?

I mean, if you ARE correcting every male Christian that you see, and informing them that they are NOT following the Law today, your words to them for shaving and getting a hair cut would be (I assume) this (with a slight edit at the end):

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2nd Timothy 3:16), so we know from the Law what the mind of God is. And since your body is the Temple of God, I would be very hesitant to get a shave and haircut. It is our lives that are our testimony before the heathen, not a shave and a haircut.
    Anyway, if you are saying this to all Christians who shave and get their hair cut... HOOAH!

... just saying

We don't want Christians today to "fall" into the same error that the Galatians were falling back into as they turned away from Christ and began to turn back to the Law and Paul was forced to correct them quick-like.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

I do not think it matters much either way ... people shouldn't judge others concerning this and people need to do for themselves what their conscious guides them to do.
    Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
    For You are the God of my salvation;
    On You I wait all the day.

Psalms 25:5

Blog Entries

Very interesting perspectives.

I just see all these anti-Christian tattooes and people are always asking “What does it mean ?” I mean, I could be having dialog like crazy about a Christian tattoo. I have none currently.

I just see all these anti-Christian tattooes and people are always asking “What does it mean ?” I mean, I could be having dialog like crazy about a Christian tattoo. I have none currently.
    Yes it can be a discussion starter ...

Blog Entries

I used to have a big issue with tattoos. But then I realized that the tattoo stays on the flesh and will be destroyed when we are given out new Glorified bodies. Is it wrong to get one? The Lord does regard our body as a temple, so maybe, but we can be forgiven for desecrating our temple... But ultimately, it does not matter, unless you take the mark of the BEAST (a tattoo "MARK" in some sense)...

Blog Entries

Bluesky22... at the end of the day, God is always the root of the reason for dialoging about Christ. "We" as Christians really don't "do" anything except have to BE like Christ. Does a tattoo mean we are "like" Christ? Nope... and I am a tattooed Christian, with Christian related tattoos that God has utilized as testimony in breaking through barriers that people have between themselves and "the church". Especially with people who have been judged and ostracized by Christians and the accusatory words spoken out the lips of these Christians are the very bricks and even the mortar that built the walls inside these hurt people.

So, can God "lead" a Christian to receive tattoos and then use them to break through those walls... sure. Is this the norm... nope. I'll tell you what... the greatest use of tattoos (in my experience) were NOT Christian at all. Vulgar, idolatrous, prison/gang related tattoos on a "converted" person... from the world to being a spirit led Christian, God has used such testimony. So in this, does this mean a Christian should run out and get a tattoo so they can be used by God... nope. God is quite capable in using any Christian, JUST THE WAY they are at this very moment.

There is always a balance, so saying that getting a tattoo is wrong, can be wrong Maybe the TYPE of tattoo, one can say... that is wrong
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Bluesky22... at the end of the day, God is always the root of the reason for dialoging about Christ. "We" as Christians really don't "do" anything except have to BE like Christ. Does a tattoo mean we are "like" Christ? Nope... and I am a tattooed Christian, with Christian related tattoos that God has utilized as testimony in breaking through barriers that people have between themselves and "the church". Especially with people who have been judged and ostracized by Christians and the accusatory words spoken out the lips of these Christians are the very bricks and even the mortar that built the walls inside these hurt people.

So, can God "lead" a Christian to receive tattoos and then use them to break through those walls... sure. Is this the norm... nope. I'll tell you what... the greatest use of tattoos (in my experience) were NOT Christian at all. Vulgar, idolatrous, prison/gang related tattoos on a "converted" person... from the world to being a spirit led Christian, God has used such testimony. So in this, does this mean a Christian should run out and get a tattoo so they can be used by God... nope. God is quite capable in using any Christian, JUST THE WAY they are at this very moment.

There is always a balance, so saying that getting a tattoo is wrong, can be wrong Maybe the TYPE of tattoo, one can say... that is wrong

Wonderful answer and perspective. Thank you brother.

I got some praying & introspection to do.

What does Jesus say about tattoos?

Jude
    The Church right now has more fashion than passion, is more pathetic than prophetic, is more superficial than supernatural.

~ Leonard Ravenhill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Jude
    What did He he say?

I found this.

What does the bible say about tattooes?

https://www.biblestudytools.com/topi...about-tattoos/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post

Jude
    I will honestly answer this... what Jesus would say about tattoos is exactly the same thing He'd say about use of the internet.
    Slug1--out

Most things can be used to glorify God or to glorify satan ... or well can just be thoughtlessly used ...

Blog Entries

Thoughts?
    Taking a tattoo on the premise that it might open discussion on Christ will be a very big mistake. As you walk the streets and watch TV, what do you see? Don't you see people wearing Cross pendants, Tee shirts that say one thing or the other about God or even wearing tattoos about Jesus? Does that make all of them Christians? Do you reckon that any of these have evoked any debate?

Before you make any decision, I would suggest you try talking to a few of people on the street who have either a tattoo of Jesus or are wearing a Cross pendant. Ask them what they think about Jesus. I have no doubt that the majority of answers will give you perspective.

Walls has given you scripture showing that God is against it and that should suffice. It's one thing to have a tattoo ignorantly (irrespective of what it represents) and another, (especially now you've been informed) to knowingly 'mark' your body as a Christian. It simply adds nothing to your spiritual life which we nurture as saints.
    Last edited by Trivalee; Jan 20th 2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Hey Walls, with the same heart... God had Moses place v27 into the Law too.

Now... TO how many males Christians today, are you also pointing out that to shave their face/chin and that getting a haircut that removes hair from the temples... is as wrong?

I mean, if you ARE correcting every male Christian that you see, and informing them that they are NOT following the Law today, your words to them for shaving and getting a hair cut would be (I assume) this (with a slight edit at the end):

Anyway, if you are saying this to all Christians who shave and get their hair cut... HOOAH!

... just saying

We don't want Christians today to "fall" into the same error that the Galatians were falling back into as they turned away from Christ and began to turn back to the Law and Paul was forced to correct them quick-like.
    You conveniently left out the first paragraph, especially the last sentence. But we are still brothers in good standing

Thread Information