Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek and Hebrew meanings

Greek and Hebrew meanings

Iím trying to dig deeper into the Bible and understand the Greek and Hebrew meanings behind scripture. Iíve looked on line at some free sites and Iím just not getting it. I canít figure out how they are suppose to work. Iím more of a visual learner. If anybody has some advice that would help me Iíd greatly appreciate it.

Re: Greek and Hebrew meanings

Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    I’m trying to dig deeper into the Bible and understand the Greek and Hebrew meanings behind scripture. I’ve looked on line at some free sites and I’m just not getting it. I can’t figure out how they are suppose to work. I’m more of a visual learner. If anybody has some advice that would help me I’d greatly appreciate it.
    I used a free interlinear bible from scripture4all in the past. It's a good way to get started IMO. It is a word for word translation from the Hebrew and Greek into English. It also has a link for strong's definitions for each word that is very useful. It's useful to study a single word or phrase, but if you are trying to read it like you read your current bible the sentence structure will be different than you are used to in your English translation.

Blog Entries

I’m trying to dig deeper into the Bible and understand the Greek and Hebrew meanings behind scripture. I’ve looked on line at some free sites and I’m just not getting it. I can’t figure out how they are suppose to work. I’m more of a visual learner. If anybody has some advice that would help me I’d greatly appreciate it.
    download e-sword.com a bible program, download a lot of the free additions then go to youtube to find ppl who can teach you how to use the Strong's and Thayers concordances. This initial part will take years and keep with it and learn as best you can.
    James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

I use a Macbook so I use WORDSearch 11 with a number of Bibles, the Interlinear Bible, Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Vine's Expository Dictionary for Hebrew and Greek. Of course, from the good old days I have these same works as Books.

Is there a substitute for learning the languages themselves?

A former co worker of mine, who was a devout Evangelical Christian, took the effort to learn Hebrew and Greek, just so he could read the bible in it's original languages.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post

A former co worker of mine, who was a devout Evangelical Christian, took the effort to learn Hebrew and Greek, just so he could read the bible in it's original languages.
    I desperately want to do this... But on a side note, I believe we actually may learn Hebrew or ancient languages once we are sitting at the feet of Jesus in the future, because there are a lot of cool truths locked up even in the simple letters of the original texts given by the Lord in the ancient language... And I think He will be teaching us all things throughout eternity... I also believe there might be subtle differences in the current version of Hebrew and the original one. Not to mention that before Babble, there may have been an even more pure language that we might get to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier_of_Faith View Post
    But on a side note, I believe we actually may learn Hebrew or ancient languages once we are sitting at the feet of Jesus in the future
    Right, but issue at hand is what to do between now and then...
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

I treasure my Chumash set of interlinear's.

Right, but issue at hand is what to do between now and then...
    Exactly. Why wait?
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

No doubt. To be utterly conversant with ancient Hebrew and Koin Greek is the way to go. But how many of us;
    1. have the talent for languages
    2. have the time, beside our jobs, to learn this vastly rich languages

And my experience is that trying to get to every meaning and nuance of these complex languages is, like flying aeroplanes, best left to the "professionals". There is nothing so disastrous as a a "half-baked" student of any language. He is bound, not only to get things wrong, but will lead others into the pit.

Those of us who are not gifted and must work for a living are best served by referring to the accomplished student of these two languages - and their reference works. There is so much peer pressure among these students that most disagreements have been well ironed out by now.

No debate. I just got the idea that the OP was looking for a bit more.

Isaiah 54

Blog Entries

No, there isn't. Even the idioms are important.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

I’m just looking to understand the Bible A little better. I’ve come across some scripture from time to time that I would really like to know exactly what is being said. I have the desire to know the emotions of the speaker as well. Thanks ewq for the idea of searching on YouTube. Would be nice to have a one on one teacher.

Blog Entries

I’m just looking to understand the Bible A little better. I’ve come across some scripture from time to time that I would really like to know exactly what is being said. I have the desire to know the emotions of the speaker as well. Thanks ewq for the idea of searching on YouTube. Would be nice to have a one on one teacher.
    If I said "Wow, that costs an arm and a leg" to someone from Mars, would knowing exactly what I said help in any way to decipher that idiom?

Blog Entries

Gussy, if you can learn the languages that would be awesome. But if you’re looking to understand the Bible better there things you can do that are so often overlooked.

Pick an epistle for example, one of those letters that’s six chapters or less. Read it every day for one month. I can guarantee you’ll know it a lot better. By the time week two is ending you actually are starting to memorize bits of it.

Memorizing is another key to really learning. Memorizing entire chapters and smaller books is very achievable. These things have greatly increase my understanding

James White over the years has often encouraged people learning the original languages. At the same time I’ve heard him say people will ask “what does this verse mean in Greek?” He will answer “the same thing it means in English.”

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

I like and use daily the interlinears on BibleHub dot com. Simple and easy to understand.

Thread Information