Thread: Study Bible

Study Bible

Im sorry if this is a repeat post. I already posted this question but I donít see it anywhere. Could somebody recommend a good study Bible?

Blog Entries

Re: Study Bible

I can recommend a few. It's best to go to a bookstore, grab a few of them and look over them before buying one. Choose some passages of the Bible that you are currently wanting more information on. Sit down with a few of these and see what they have to say.

Just one caveat - don't go searching for one that agrees with something that you are wanting the Bible to say. Some people do that.

• For King James, the Scofield Study Bible is good. I own one, my grandmother's and read it. Also for King James and New King James, Nelson puts out a good study Bible. My dad has one and I've used it before.
    • The Life Application Bible [in NIV or New Living Translation or NASB] has good notes that I have found helpful.
    • I have an NIV study bible that is good - I am currently reading this one. I do find there are good notes, but also too many footnotes and not all footnotes are found in the same place. It's a little busy. But I do like it.
    • The Holman Study Bible has been recommended to me before with lots of good comments about it.
    • And others have recommended the ESV study Bible, but have said that it is very large.

Just park yourself in a bookstore for an hour or two and read through some of them. Don't make a hasty choice.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Thank you Jayne. Sounds like a plan and exactly what I was thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I can recommend a few. It's best to go to a bookstore, grab a few of them and look over them before buying one. Choose some passages of the Bible that you are currently wanting more information on. Sit down with a few of these and see what they have to say.

Just one caveat - don't go searching for one that agrees with something that you are wanting the Bible to say. Some people do that.

• For King James, the Scofield Study Bible is good. I own one, my grandmother's and read it. Also for King James and New King James, Nelson puts out a good study Bible. My dad has one and I've used it before.
    • The Life Application Bible [in NIV or New Living Translation or NASB] has good notes that I have found helpful.
    • I have an NIV study bible that is good - I am currently reading this one. I do find there are good notes, but also too many footnotes and not all footnotes are found in the same place. It's a little busy. But I do like it.
    • The Holman Study Bible has been recommended to me before with lots of good comments about it.
    • And others have recommended the ESV study Bible, but have said that it is very large.

Just park yourself in a bookstore for an hour or two and read through some of them. Don't make a hasty choice.
    you may want to try www.biblegateway.com 55+ English bibles you can search, young's literal translation is also good for study as based off Hebrew

Blog Entries

Gussy,

Another good one, not to be confused with the NIV Study Bible, is the NIV Zondervan Study Bible. Very good study Bible.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

I personally prefer my Bible to only contain the Bible. That way when I read it's just God talking to me without any distractions in the text. There's so many study tools free online and download that I can research any verse, topic, or word externally.

I use Bible study software from BibleSoft. It has more than enough Bible versions so I can easily cross-check them. It offers some excellent scholarly tools also, like a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge crossreference, The Englishman's Concordance, an Interlinear Bible, etc.

But as for a more scholarly study Bible, that would be The Companion Bible which is a 1611 KJV with margin notes by the 19th century British Christian scholar E.W. Bullinger. Just the 198 Appendixes in the back is worth having a copy. It contains much of C.D. Ginsburg's translation of the Old Testament Hebrew Massorah in side margin notes. His margin notes are more scholarly oriented than focusing on denominational traditions, which is a major reason why I prefer Bullinger's study Bible. One can find a study Bible that follows just about every denominational organization's traditions. I'm more like a Berean; I prefer to find out what God's Word says for myself, with asking His help.

Yuma, AZ where chocolate melts in the fridge

You only need five books to study the bible:
    1. A King James bible. Other versions are ok, but all the reference materials are keyed to the KJV.
    2. An English dictionary.
    3. An Interlinear Greek-English Translation Of The New Testament, any brand.
    4. An exhaustive concordance. There are several brands, but everybody seems to use Strong's. I like Young's because it is easier to use.
    5. A Hebrew lexicon, if you study the old testament.

A bible atlas will also be helpful, but you can get along without it. A book that is very good for getting started is "How To Enjoy The Bible" by E. W. Bullinger. It's a free download and you can get a hard copy at any bible book store. www.philologos.org/__eb-htetb/

Here is a sample study. Suppose you are reading and your attention is caught by Colossians 1:17 "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist." The Interlinear New Testament says "consist*ed" which means the word was translated by a different tense or case from the original. You look that word up in the concordance. The root meaning is "place together". It is used twelve times and ten of them are translated "approve" or "commend". Why is this usage translated differently? You check the other verses for context and conclude that this usage should have been translated the same as the others, "commended". Some people object because they use that verse to support the trinity. Well, it does not support it. And that is how you learn to rightly divide the word of truth, as it says in 2 Timothy 2:15.

If you want to see someone else's studies, the Companion Bible is top of the line. You will be amazed by how much knowledge is in this book.
    https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...ompanion+bible

Thread Information