Thread: Study Bible

Study Bible

Im sorry if this is a repeat post. I already posted this question but I donít see it anywhere. Could somebody recommend a good study Bible?

Blog Entries

Re: Study Bible

I can recommend a few. It's best to go to a bookstore, grab a few of them and look over them before buying one. Choose some passages of the Bible that you are currently wanting more information on. Sit down with a few of these and see what they have to say.

Just one caveat - don't go searching for one that agrees with something that you are wanting the Bible to say. Some people do that.

• For King James, the Scofield Study Bible is good. I own one, my grandmother's and read it. Also for King James and New King James, Nelson puts out a good study Bible. My dad has one and I've used it before.
    • The Life Application Bible [in NIV or New Living Translation or NASB] has good notes that I have found helpful.
    • I have an NIV study bible that is good - I am currently reading this one. I do find there are good notes, but also too many footnotes and not all footnotes are found in the same place. It's a little busy. But I do like it.
    • The Holman Study Bible has been recommended to me before with lots of good comments about it.
    • And others have recommended the ESV study Bible, but have said that it is very large.

Just park yourself in a bookstore for an hour or two and read through some of them. Don't make a hasty choice.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Thank you Jayne. Sounds like a plan and exactly what I was thinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    I can recommend a few. It's best to go to a bookstore, grab a few of them and look over them before buying one. Choose some passages of the Bible that you are currently wanting more information on. Sit down with a few of these and see what they have to say.

Just one caveat - don't go searching for one that agrees with something that you are wanting the Bible to say. Some people do that.

• For King James, the Scofield Study Bible is good. I own one, my grandmother's and read it. Also for King James and New King James, Nelson puts out a good study Bible. My dad has one and I've used it before.
    • The Life Application Bible [in NIV or New Living Translation or NASB] has good notes that I have found helpful.
    • I have an NIV study bible that is good - I am currently reading this one. I do find there are good notes, but also too many footnotes and not all footnotes are found in the same place. It's a little busy. But I do like it.
    • The Holman Study Bible has been recommended to me before with lots of good comments about it.
    • And others have recommended the ESV study Bible, but have said that it is very large.

Just park yourself in a bookstore for an hour or two and read through some of them. Don't make a hasty choice.
    you may want to try www.biblegateway.com 55+ English bibles you can search, young's literal translation is also good for study as based off Hebrew

Blog Entries

Gussy,

Another good one, not to be confused with the NIV Study Bible, is the NIV Zondervan Study Bible. Very good study Bible.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Thread Information