Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: what about "prophets" of today?

Blog Entries

Re: what about "prophets" of today?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Why does sola scriptura exclude prophesying?
    Scripture is revelation from God.
    Prophecy is revelation from God.

If we have two (or more) forms of revelation from God, then we do not have sola.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrustGzus View Post

If we have two (or more) forms of revelation from God, then we do not have sola.
    Joe... take the example of Agabus and Paul. While we "read" about this gifting of prophesy in action in scripture, it's NOT what you are entailing as sola scriptura, which is no more can be written. The "gifting" of prophecy (per 1 Cor 12/14 lesson by Paul and examples of the gift in action in NT scriptures) is not about declaring something of new scripture. It’s only about exhorting all the scriptures, or edifying or comforting and any combination thereof.

Today, as with Agabus and Paul then, a Christian can be making a choice and God, knowing the results of that choice, can/could REVEAL the results to that Christian, through a prophet for the purpose of edifying and comforting. That is an element of the gift of prophecy in action today within the Body. This has nothing to do with any change or adding to sola scriptura.

If anything, the gift of prophecy in action today is showing us the truth OF sola scriptura in what sola scriptura teaches ABOUT the gifts of the Holy Spirit and HOW God empowers His Body. How God empowers His Body, per what sola scriptura reveals about the gifts does not mean the gifts ended because the Canon is closed and thus, God removed those gifts from His Body.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Isn't there a difference in sola scripture for doctrine and sola scripture for all that God is ever going to speak? For instance, how do you know the will of God about a job? Or a decision? Do we not need revelation from the Lord in decision making? Can the Lord not speak to our hearts today and give us direction?

How does a pastor know whether or not to take a certain church? How does a church know whether or not to take a certain pastor? How does a pastor know to start a church? How does he know what city to start it in?

I am not saying such things are prophetic. But I would say that getting direction from the Lord can be a revelation of His will in our lives. Isn't this kind of revelation necessary to walk fully with the Lord?
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Isn't there a difference in sola scripture for doctrine and sola scripture for all that God is ever going to speak? For instance, how do you know the will of God about a job? Or a decision? Do we not need revelation from the Lord in decision making? Can the Lord not speak to our hearts today and give us direction?

How does a pastor know whether or not to take a certain church? How does a church know whether or not to take a certain pastor? How does a pastor know to start a church? How does he know what city to start it in?

I am not saying such things are prophetic. But I would say that getting direction from the Lord can be a revelation of His will in our lives. Isn't this kind of revelation necessary to walk fully with the Lord?
    I am one who had a prophet inform me about work. Sure, I'm looking for a job and everyone knows I "WILL" land work but what the prophet spoke to me was just a little more specific concerning timing and details of the work. One specific detail that when it happened, I instantly knew the prophetic word spoken in the past, was now beginning to come to pass. Other details, specific and not anything ordinary concerning job hunting or job related began to come to pass as well in the exact order revealed in that prophetic word to me.

In the flesh, I continued to hunt for work despite what that prophetic word was all about. Way back then, I was not as experienced as I am now with "the prophetic" elements of my relationship with God. However, all that work I did, all the hunting for work I did... amounted to nothing and no job was on any scope concerning all that I did. However, per the prophetic word, the job found me when I was told it would.

Afterware I was able to "look back" and realized I literally just had to wait for the time and did not have to make any effort in looking for work.

Does this mean take anything prophetic for face value, NOPE... but it was a great beginning to the supernatural elements of my personal relationship with God and His provision into my life.
    Slug1--out

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    Yes, the sun appears to rise every morning. It will appear to rise again tomorrow.

I guess I am a prophet...?
    If you're a Christian, and I'm supposing you are, then you have "prophetic elements" about you. Whether you're an actual "prophet," and tend towards addressing people with the direct word of God I don't know? Some people are oriented that way. Doesn't set them above others, but it is a gift to be taken seriously.

Predicting the weather is not a serious "prophecy." For one thing, it doesn't work where I live!

Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I think many Christians are simply undiscipled concerning their gifting. For example, a Christian is "inspired" to say something to another Christian and this "something" is spot on and in response, they are told that they may have the gift of prophecy, or worse... are told they might be a prophet. This undiscipled Christian has a seed planted in their mind and in many cases, run with it and begin "prophecying" and in time, they are Prophet So-in-so. And because a bunch of other undiscipled Christians are listening, they don't KNOW how to be careful (per Paul's lesson) and allow Prophet So-in-so the freedom to prophecy without any regard (no accountability) concerning all the false prophecy.

And all this by saying one inspired thing years ago and being allowed to continue without any accountability
    Absolutely correct! The NT Scriptures warn about putting young believers in places of authority. We need to take the proverbs seriously when they warn about "flatterers!"

On the other hand, when Christians become "born again," it is because they suddenly become aware of the "prophetic nature" of Christianity. God comes down from heaven and enters into their world, and the word of God becomes real. This is the spirit of prophecy.

As Christians grow, some believers become very adept at discerning the word of God on a "prophetic" basis. In other words, it becomes more than just doctrine--it becomes a "living word." We need God's "living word" all the time, or we will become no better than just a Christian following a set of rules, or a Christian Constitution. Christians who apply rules, and do not discern God's Spirit directly, will not apply those rules properly. This is the very definition of "legalism!"

So Christianity is by nature "prophetic," and in a sense we are all to be "prophetic" as we apply Christian truth. But we certainly need to remain humble, and reserved, not wanting to put ourselves out there as "special." Paul walked before God with "fear and trembling." He was deathly afraid of getting himself too puffed up, knowing that God would severely discipline him if he got too far "out there."

Still, there are prophets in the church--men and women who are pretty well equipped to deliver a word from God. Pastors are virtual "prophets" when they deliver inspired messages, although I wouldn't necessarily say they are in fact "prophets." They are inspired like prophets, and some of them may actually *be* prophets.

So what is the big difference between all of us Christians acting like prophets and being prophets? It is just that we all have our own gifts, some teaching, some pastoring, some prophesying. All the gifts accomplish the same thing, bringing God's word to bear in our lives. Prophets simply bring directional words from God, and do not even have to do this directly. By their very nature, what they say speaks to people, and those people confirm for themselves what they are hearing from God.

I think it's very dangerous for people to set themselves up as "prophets." They should just recognize that they have a "prophetic gift" if they are always directing people with Christian truth. That is just what prophets do--not so much tell people who they are to marry, or what job to get into. But they simply proclaim God's word, often in a very general sense, and the recipient "hears God" often in a very private way. When I get around my more "prophetic" friends, it's amazing what I hear God saying to me, even though these friends have *no clue* what they are saying to me personally!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    When I get around my more "prophetic" friends, it's amazing what I hear God saying to me, even though these friends have *no clue* what they are saying to me personally!
    I read your whole post but this final comment, Hooah! I even counsel others, pray silently. Don't even journal, or speak about what you are praying about/for. So "if" God does speak a specific answer into your specific prayer, through another in the Body... you know it's from God. THEN, journal as a testimony, speak as in testimony of the prophetic experience. Learn from it too so in the future and God moves prophetically in your life and in the lives of others, you know the difference of when a "move or message" is of God or an imitation or false move/message from another spirit.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

I think Paul defines it the best:

1 Cor 14: 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men.

Maybe defining "edification/comfort" is the need. Exhortation is bringing the scriptures to life into ones life in a way that is both contextually accurate yet specific to the need of the listener, no matter how many are listening. This is edifying and comforting also.

However, here are some examples of edification that is not as common but needed by God (thus called "a gift of prophecy"). It IS edifying for a prophet to call out another person's sin (Nathan). It is edifying when a person is silently praying OR waiting on God, and another Christian is given the answer or a task for, the person who is praying/waiting (Ananias). It is edifying to be told beforehand what will happen in the future if you do something (Agabus). It is edifying to be told of "secrets" in your life (Jesus).

These are just some examples of the gifting of prophecy being used for the edifying, exhorting and the comforting of the Body of Christ.
    I'll go with edification.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyk View Post
    If you're a Christian, and I'm supposing you are, then you have "prophetic elements" about you. Whether you're an actual "prophet," and tend towards addressing people with the direct word of God I don't know? Some people are oriented that way. Doesn't set them above others, but it is a gift to be taken seriously.

Predicting the weather is not a serious "prophecy." For one thing, it doesn't work where I live!
    In the context of correctly dividing the Word of God, that's ok. It's edification. When some lunatic comes out and says the next full moon will cause the end of the world, and starts a GoFundMe account (or similar tactic) to satiate his/her greed.....I am not ok with that.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    I'll go with edification.
    Then why do you think some in this thread say God's has stopped edifying in this manner?

Also... calling out the sun rising or setting is NOT edifying, and is thus NOT prophetic.

Being told what the serial number on the $5 bill in your pocket, is not edifying either yet, when a person "proves" themselves to UNdiscipled Christians with this "prophecy" in calling out all the numbers... is called a prophet of God? NOOOOOOO! They are a soothsayer of satan in a suit and can be defined as a wolf even, as well as a "false" prophet. Divination is satans imitation of God's gift of prophecy and undiscipled Christians, CANNOT discern the difference. All they know is the bad fallout of having been deceived by divination and by being deceived in thinking it "WAS" prophecy from God.

This fallout does cause many Christians from EVER trusting in God's gift of prophecy that He's given to His Body to exercise. Even when they are privy and experiencing the real gift of prophecy, from God... they will deny it due to the hurt that is still causing them doubt/mistrust.

But as lang as satan and his demons move such people in the Body and DECEIVE members of the Body and put a bad taste in the mouths of the Body... we will just spin in circles.

God HAS His prophets, active today... please don't lump them into those who are calling out the setting sun times or calling out info that is unedifying, with those who God is actually using for REAL exhortation/edification/comfort.
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Great questions. You asked a big one in the middle.

Do we need revelation from the Lord in decision making?

Do we? Let me as a related question. Is the purpose of prophecy for day to day decision making? We have Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and 12 other writing prophets besides a handful of prophets in the OT & NT with no writing but some recorded events. Was day to day decision making the purpose of their gifts?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Blog Entries

Great questions. You asked a big one in the middle.

Do we need revelation from the Lord in decision making?

Do we? Let me as a related question. Is the purpose of prophecy for day to day decision making? We have Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and 12 other writing prophets besides a handful of prophets in the OT & NT with no writing but some recorded events. Was day to day decision making the purpose of their gifts?
    Your response simply means you aren't gonna answer BrotherMark's question, huh? Hahaha

For myself, no... God does not prophetically answer day to day living decision making needs. However, what BrotherMark raised is not a day to day need. A person seeking God for an answer on whether or not they are to pastor a church is unique compared to daily decision making. God can address such a need in a prophetic means. Does He all the time? No... but this doesn't not mean He can't or won't with the only reasoning for saying He can't/won't, is that the Canon is closed.

I have been in this position silently asking God... am I to pastor a church and He did answer me through another, "prophetically". This person didn't know what I was praying, I never "relayed" anything about this pray request.

Just recently, I have been praying about something and through a member of this board, their questions (which I generally answered with no specifics) and their prayers and what God was telling them through their prayers... was prophetic in nature. I recognized it and when I confirmed to them something that they asked, they were comforted that "they" heard RIGHT when God ministered to them concerning my needs. This is prophetic in nature and this NATURE IS daily in the lives of those in relationship with God. Also, this person on this board was only ONE confirmation of THREE total that I received
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Your response simply means you aren't gonna answer BrotherMark's question, huh? Hahaha

For myself, no... God does not prophetically answer day to day living decision making needs. However, what BrotherMark raised is not a day to day need. A person seeking God for an answer on whether or not they are to pastor a church is unique compared to daily decision making. God can address such a need in a prophetic means. Does He all the time? No... but this doesn't not mean He can't or won't with the only reasoning for saying He can't/won't, is that the Canon is closed.

I have been in this position silently asking God... am I to pastor a church and He did answer me through another, "prophetically". This person didn't know what I was praying, I never "relayed" anything about this pray request.

Just recently, I have been praying about something and through a member of this board, their questions (which I generally answered with no specifics) and their prayers and what God was telling them through their prayers... was prophetic in nature. I recognized it and when I confirmed to them something that they asked, they were comforted that "they" heard RIGHT when God ministered to them concerning my needs. This is prophetic in nature and this NATURE IS daily in the lives of those in relationship with God. Also, this person on this board was only ONE confirmation of THREE total that I received
    Iíll gladly answer all Markís questions. My post isnít one-and-done.

Blog Entries

Iíll gladly answer all Markís questions. My post isnít one-and-done.
    Hooah... you know me, gotta pressure everyone
    Slug1--out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keraz View Post
    I agree.
    The ancient prophets have told us all what God plans for our future. The problems mainly arise when people believe things which are not scriptural and become confused. Isaiah 29:9-12 says what happens when people do that.

However, the only really important thing, is to be born again into Christianity and to never lose your faith in God, whatever happens.
    Very true. I pointed out earlier that a minister saying there will be flood or earthquake (whether it happens or not) has not really prophecied because the scriptures already told that these calamities will occur until Christ returns.

Again, for someone to prophecy that Mr X will be president or Prime Minister and that eventually comes to pass doesn't in my view, amount to a prophecy unless that President/PM somewhat fulfils God's plans. For example, Isaiah prophesied the coming of Cyrus and when he came to the throne, he was instrumental in letting the Jewish captives go. God is not a magician or soothsayer that does stuff or prophecies just to entertain and mesmerize people.

A foretold earthquake or flood today isn't a prophecy. The same way, a prophecied VIP or dignitary who comes to power in this age, but never did anything that is plainly in line with God's laid out plans in the Bible, did not come by God's prophecy.

Thread Information