Thread: Matthew 10; 37-38 and what it means regarding our Children

Matthew 10; 37-38 and what it means regarding our Children

I received the following scripture while trying to talk to God and filling in my journal;

Matthew 10:37-38 King James Version (KJV)

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
    38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

At first, it gave me a bit of a shock and worry. As I took the meaning as we have to put God above all things including our Children. As someone who is just starting on this journey and recently started to have faith God is out there I found myself thinking this is something I can't nor want to do. My kids are my life.

After thinking on this further thought it dawned on me that maybe I am getting it all wrong as Jesus tried to teach us to love everyone equally and so maybe the scripture means we have to Love him as much as our children and our children as much as hi if that makes sense. Otherwise am I in a position where I can't really be saved?

Although I find it hard to get my head around the fact that we are taught to love and treat others equally and then God would want us to treat him differently.

I suppose if we could learn to love all as much as we do our own children the world would be a much better place.

What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Matthew 10; 37-38 and what it means regarding our Children

It has nothing to do with that. It is about the context. Always context.

Matthew 10:16-18, 21-22, 26, 28, 32-36 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
    But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
    And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
    And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
    And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
    Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.
    And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
    But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
    Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
    And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

I get that and I do try to read around the random scriptures I get but sometimes don't you think the scriptures are given to us out of context as way for God to speak to us through his word if that makes sense?

I mean its not like we will get a booming voice from heaven etc and some of teh scriptures I have gotten really feel like they are speaking to me but if you took them in the context of where it came from it wont always fit your situation.

I'm not sure if that made sense its hard to explain what I mean.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Belief View Post
    What are your thoughts on this?
    It's imperative to look at the context of a singular verse or paragraph. When taking verses 37-38 all by themselves, it is startling. Jesus' train of though begins in verse 32.

He basically said that Christianity is going to divide even households. I know that most everyone knows of some family where the parents are saved, but the adult children are not....or the junior high child and the mother are saved, but he father is not.

My own cousin's wife is "disowned" by her sister because she is a Christian. Her family is Muslim. Her parents spit on her when she announced her Christianity.

At my church we have men, women, and children who come to church without their respective families.

This is what he is talking about. He is saying that you must count the cost. It may cost you your family relations to become a Christian. What if my cousin's wife had said, "Well, my family does not want me to become a Christian, so I won't."

These people's lives are very, very hard. Jesus knew that was coming. He said that even your own immediate family should not keep you from turning your life over to him - even if it means estrangement from them.
    ".....it's your nickel"

I get that and I do try to read around the random scriptures I get but sometimes don't you think the scriptures are given to us out of context as way for God to speak to us through his word if that makes sense?

I mean its not like we will get a booming voice from heaven etc and some of teh scriptures I have gotten really feel like they are speaking to me but if you took them in the context of where it came from it wont always fit your situation.

I'm not sure if that made sense its hard to explain what I mean.
    It makes sense and I get what you're saying but I have found that this method leads to misunderstand and 'God's not really speaking to us'. If it's something God wants to speak to us it will be found elsewhere and mean that very thing in context, and if it is found elsewhere then it's unnecessary to use a passage as it is not intended. Maybe that's something you're looking to learn or need to learn and you can use that passage to go find it elsewhere? In that way God may be speaking to you. IOW, God is not saying it's ok to use this verse this way, but wants you to learn about it elsewhere as intended, and use those verses to learn from. Make sense?

To add : if it's truth it's in there in context.

It does indeed and thank you for your insight.

It puts my mind at ease a bit as well. I really love this website as it really does help with the journey and helped me turn to God.

I feel lucky in this respect as my immediate family are very open-minded and my wife turned to God a few years ago anyway. She starting attending one of our local church's and I may even join her one week but I don't feel ready for that step yet.

I really appreciate your feedback. Its quite a daunting journey sometimes but one I want to walk. I suppose at some point I need to try start to share my experience as well and not be afraid of peoples reactions.

.....but sometimes don't you think the scriptures are given to us out of context as way for God to speak to us through his word if that makes sense?
    No. That's Bibliomancy. God's word is not to be used like divination or consulting a medium. Read God's word as it was written. Each author wrote a book. that's how we should study it, and that's how it will make sense. God gave us His whole word, no one needs to give us God's word sprinkled in little pieces, normally taken out of context.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    No. That's Bibliomancy. God's word is not to be used like divination or consulting a medium. Read God's word as it was written. Each author wrote a book. that's how we should study it, and that's how it will make sense. God gave us His whole word, no one needs to give us God's word sprinkled in little pieces, normally taken out of context.
    In what way would you say God speaks to us then. I want have an experience and connection myself not just someone elses relationship etc.

How do we find our own way so to speak?

In what way would you say God speaks to us then. I want have an experience and connection myself not just someone elses relationship etc.

How do we find our own way so to speak?
    He speaks to us through His word. The Bible. And of course He gives us the Holy Spirit.
    See John Chapter 14. He was telling his Apostles about how He (Jesus) was leaving soon, but He would not leave them as orphans. He was sending them the Holy Spirit to teach them, and to remind them of Jesus' very words.
    Now obviously we don't have access to Jesus' words as the Apostles and the first century believers did, but he gave us two very important things we'd need. His Holy Spirit, and His word, the Bible.

John 14:15-27

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”

23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

Belief,

Quoting random verses with no regard to context can only lead to confusion. To whom is it written? Under what circumstances was it written? What goes before and what follows? Compare the verses with other scriptures where the same subject is being discussed.

Hi Belief,
    So nice to meet you here. I am also fairly new on the journey. I know just what you mean and I had a similar reaction as you when I read that. My life has revolved around my kids. As time has gone on in thinking so much about it I realized that yes, my children are my everything but I would not have them if God had not created them and placed them in my life. So, yes, He is first place in my heart.

That being said, I did mention that I struggled at first with it right? Well after awhile I realized something else. Jane has got it so right here. I now see it as a caution that your family members, the people who matter the most to you, may turn on you if you are truly seeking God! My husband and two kids who are still in the home say they are believers but I am not sure because they have no desire to talk to me about Jesus but instead mock me for the changes that have come over me. This has been downright shocking to me. It really makes it so hard. God has helped me see though that my kids will move on and have their own lives, as it should be, so even if they begin to hate me over it I have to stand firm in my belief and be an example. Hopefully I will show a strong faith and they will wonder enough to be drawn to the Father as well. Thankfully your wife is on the same journey with you.

And you are correct. This is a nice website! You will find many wonderful people here with great insight and who are very willing to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Want2bSaved View Post
    Hi Belief,
    So nice to meet you here. I am also fairly new on the journey. I know just what you mean and I had a similar reaction as you when I read that. My life has revolved around my kids. As time has gone on in thinking so much about it I realized that yes, my children are my everything but I would not have them if God had not created them and placed them in my life. So, yes, He is first place in my heart.

That being said, I did mention that I struggled at first with it right? Well after awhile I realized something else. Jane has got it so right here. I now see it as a caution that your family members, the people who matter the most to you, may turn on you if you are truly seeking God! My husband and two kids who are still in the home say they are believers but I am not sure because they have no desire to talk to me about Jesus but instead mock me for the changes that have come over me. This has been downright shocking to me. It really makes it so hard. God has helped me see though that my kids will move on and have their own lives, as it should be, so even if they begin to hate me over it I have to stand firm in my belief and be an example. Hopefully I will show a strong faith and they will wonder enough to be drawn to the Father as well. Thankfully your wife is on the same journey with you.

And you are correct. This is a nice website! You will find many wonderful people here with great insight and who are very willing to help you.
    I do understand that and I hope it does not drive a wedge between me and my kids when they are older. My wife was on the journey before me after suffering a miscarriage before our two sons came along. I am really sorry to hear that your family is teasing you about God but hopefully he can help with that.

Its seem as many had stated that I may have read it out of context as well but it did not feel that way at the time, it did feel like God was trying to tell me something. I am starting out though so maybe I am wrong.

I do find it odd that we would have to put any one first isnt the whole message about love about everyone feeling that same love for all and having an equality where no one is above another. I don't know I am, most likely, being too idealistic I guess.

Thread Information