Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64

Thread: America is moving away from Christianity very fast

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    14,860

    America is moving away from Christianity very fast

    Check out this article. I am not so much concerned about the race part of the article. But the Christian part, is very concerning to me.

    https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...stian-america/

    Check out these charts from the article:


    and

    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    14,860

    Re: American is changing very fast

    We Christians are losing our youth (regardless of race). There was a time when people got saved at a very young age. Now people are just leaving the church. Some that are staying, don't even buy into basic Christian doctrine. Something is afoot!
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  3. #3

    Re: American is changing very fast

    I think, based on my personal experience, is that a lot of Christians, or probably better stated, church attendees, have taken a dislike to the political nature of many churches. Where as Jesus called us to make disciples, many churches are teaching people how or who to vote for.
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    True north strong and free
    Posts
    6,334

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Unsurprising. And I agree with the above.
    .......
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Wherever the Lord places me
    Posts
    41,391

    Re: American is changing very fast

    I think it's part of a larger culture war. The rejection of traditional values, the rejection of God as the source of morality...it's very troubling because we don't know where all this ends up.
    "For a small moment have I forsaken you, and with great mercy will I gather you.With a little wrath did I hide My countenance for a moment from you, and with everlasting kindness will I have compassion on you," said your Redeemer, the Lord."..."For the mountains shall depart and the hills totter, but My kindness shall not depart from you, neither shall the covenant of My peace totter," says the Lord, Who has compassion on you.

    Isaiah 54

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    14,860

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    I think, based on my personal experience, is that a lot of Christians, or probably better stated, church attendees, have taken a dislike to the political nature of many churches. Where as Jesus called us to make disciples, many churches are teaching people how or who to vote for.
    Churches were far more political in the 80s, before a lot of these folks were born. The progressive churches lost masses of people prior to the turn of the century. Now the conservative churches are losing them.

    I think it has more to do with 2 things... 1) lack of power in the churches 2) rejection of God and His morality. People aren't just rejecting churches, they are rejecting the whole moral framework of God Himself. The last time that happened, was in the 60s but a revival broke out (the Jesus movement) and it changed everything. It brought the country back from the brink.

    We need another revival for this generation.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    14,860

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    I think it's part of a larger culture war. The rejection of traditional values, the rejection of God as the source of morality...it's very troubling because we don't know where all this ends up.
    Sure seems that way... and its happening incredibly fast. I've not seen anything like it before. In the 60s, there was a movement that tried to do the same thing. But then a revival broke out. It was called the Jesus movement and that changed everything. The country was broke back from the edge. Now it appears to be going backwards again.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  8. #8

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    I think it has more to do with 2 things... 1) lack of power in the churches
    Wow. Now I'm really curious. What kind of power are you referring to?
    9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith. - Galatians 6:9-10 NASB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    True north strong and free
    Posts
    6,334

    Re: American is changing very fast

    What do we mean by traditional values? For example, I routinely hear accusations leveled against the RCC for it's adherence to traditions, yet now some are calling for a return to tradition with no indication of what that tradition is - is it just some nebulous concept or is it only reminiscing of a supposedly better time? I've got a hint of what you are getting at, but I think in such a presentation as this, I would really like to know what specifically is implied in such a loaded word as 'tradition'.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    14,860

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusinmylife View Post
    Wow. Now I'm really curious. What kind of power are you referring to?
    This kind:

    Matt 7:28 The result was that when Jesus had finished these words, the multitudes were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.
    NASB

    There's teaching that the scribes do, but it has little authority. Then there's inspired teaching that has much authority! The Holy Spirit brings conviction and men repent and are saved. Holy Hubert preached at Berkley college in the 60s and, IMO, started the Jesus movement. That man preached with authority/power and it had an impact.

    Teaching that comes after a man has been tested in the desert for many years and come to the end of himself. Jesus spent 40 days in the wildnerness before His ministry and he came out of the wilderness in the power of the Spirit for His ministry. Moses had no power before being in the desert for 40 years. David spent years living in caves before he became king. Paul was 13 years in Arabia learning from God.

    The teaching with authority and power that comes having experienced God in one's own life so that it is not just teaching facts and data and history. So that the church is convicted through the Holy Spirit and members are set free from strongholds as they repent from sin.

    I had a young man tell me a few weeks ago that he had never experienced a miracle in church. I was astounded! The miracle God has done inside of me is greater than any I could imagine being done elsewhere. I hated who I thought God was and yet, He loved me anyway. He broke through all that and radically changed my heart.

    The kind of teaching where we come to know the authority, and power of God that delivers one from any stronghold in a heart. That changes the bitter to the forgiving, the angry to the joyful, the lustful to the loving, the selfish into givers, and so on. The kind of teaching where we come to know that God is not a theology, but a Person.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    29,497
    Blog Entries
    94

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Seems this shows us a glimpse of what the "apostasy" will entail as Christians leave faith and turn away from God.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Posts
    29,497
    Blog Entries
    94

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    This kind:

    Matt 7:28 The result was that when Jesus had finished these words, the multitudes were amazed at His teaching; 29 for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.
    NASB

    There's teaching that the scribes do, but it has little authority. Then there's inspired teaching that has much authority! The Holy Spirit brings conviction and men repent and are saved. Holy Hubert preached at Berkley college in the 60s and, IMO, started the Jesus movement. That man preached with authority/power and it had an impact.

    Teaching that comes after a man has been tested in the desert for many years and come to the end of himself. Jesus spent 40 days in the wildnerness before His ministry and he came out of the wilderness in the power of the Spirit for His ministry. Moses had no power before being in the desert for 40 years. David spent years living in caves before he became king. Paul was 13 years in Arabia learning from God.

    The teaching with authority and power that comes having experienced God in one's own life so that it is not just teaching facts and data and history. So that the church is convicted through the Holy Spirit and members are set free from strongholds as they repent from sin.

    I had a young man tell me a few weeks ago that he had never experienced a miracle in church. I was astounded! The miracle God has done inside of me is greater than any I could imagine being done elsewhere. I hated who I thought God was and yet, He loved me anyway. He broke through all that and radically changed my heart.

    The kind of teaching where we come to know the authority, and power of God that delivers one from any stronghold in a heart. That changes the bitter to the forgiving, the angry to the joyful, the lustful to the loving, the selfish into givers, and so on. The kind of teaching where we come to know that God is not a theology, but a Person.
    Academics concerning maturity in the Word and one's personal relationship with God MUST be balanced with the power of God as well. I agree, NO power... then all the academic knowledge is useless against the power of the prince of this world and thus, the church can't "stand" against him and his world. Thus why there is a smaller and smaller "Body" of Christ in the world. Those who DO operate supernaturally in the power of God. Who do experience signs/wonders/miracles as they bring the Gospel to lost and also edify/profit the Body as well.
    Slug1--out

    ~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

    ~Honestly, the pain of persecution lets you KNOW you are still alive... IN Christ!~

    ~Colossians 1:28 Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.~


    ~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~


  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    True north strong and free
    Posts
    6,334

    Re: American is changing very fast

    There is probably a larger Body of Christ in the world today than at anytime in history just based on population trends.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    14,860

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    There is probably a larger Body of Christ in the world today than at anytime in history just based on population trends.
    Perhaps. But in the US, the trends are going the other way, as a percentage of population. And its happeing fast. Not sure what is happening in the rest of the world has to do with the trends in the US. From what I can gather, there are major revivals breaking out in Africa. The 10-40 window is more evangelized today than ever before. And so on. But in the US, the trend is going in the wrong direction.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    True north strong and free
    Posts
    6,334

    Re: American is changing very fast

    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Perhaps. But in the US, the trends are going the other way, as a percentage of population. And its happeing fast. Not sure what is happening in the rest of the world has to do with the trends in the US. From what I can gather, there are major revivals breaking out in Africa. The 10-40 window is more evangelized today than ever before. And so on. But in the US, the trend is going in the wrong direction.
    Slug referred to the world, not the US, in his post. So I addressed it that way.

    The trend is going the wrong way, but we should be careful about extrapolating too far into the future. Trends change, and as you have already mentioned, there are periods of revival.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. changing perspectives
    By randyk in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: May 6th 2017, 05:18 AM
  2. The changing of Job
    By Wall in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: Apr 7th 2015, 06:32 AM
  3. God is changing me
    By chad in forum Poetry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun 29th 2012, 11:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •