Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: America is moving away from Christianity very fast

Re: American is changing very fast

Quote Originally Posted by ProDeo View Post
    Not to forget science and what it breathes, evolution theory in particular. It's a stumbling block for millions.
    The ridiculous thing is that it should not be.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    The ridiculous thing is that it should not be.
    Agree. Today on TV I watched an interview with one of our old prime ministers. All his life he was a Christian but started to doubt when he started to study astronomy and evolution theory.

Agree. Today on TV I watched an interview with one of our old prime ministers. All his life he was a Christian but started to doubt when he started to study astronomy and evolution theory.
    Was there any more to that? Was it a case of seeing the evidence provided but feeling caught in a literalist position - the old false choice?
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teddyv View Post
    Was there any more to that? Was it a case of seeing the evidence provided but feeling caught in a literalist position - the old false choice?
    Regarding evolution, yes, the same old stuff, the relationship with chimpanzees that made him doubt. Regarding astronomy, he is smart enough to realize the Universe without a Creator makes little sense. The worrying part starts with his realization how big the Universe is and that therefore he can't believe any longer why God would sent His Son to that dust particle Earth. Lack of knowledge also on basic Christianity, no understanding why Christ came.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    Okay... Specific examples or references ?

Also, may I ask what you have done to reach your community / world ?
    If you need examples or references, I want to go to your Church!!
    I have been part of a few outreaches. going out with outreach teams to poor communities.(In my experience, even some big churches don't like outreach teams and do not have such activities)

Sometimes Churches are more like 'motivational speakers' than preaching the word.

I don't want to make this thread a church bashing thread, just wanted to give another view on things.

Blog Entries

Well maybe the fakers aren't ashamed anymore and they reverted to their true pagan roots.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

If you need examples or references, I want to go to your Church!!
    No. Because the church I am in has issues just like every other one. Christian people have problems too, hence the need for church.
    I have been part of a few outreaches. going out with outreach teams to poor communities.(In my experience, even some big churches don't like outreach teams and do not have such activities)
    Again, please give specific examples of what "they" aren't doing along with what the ARE doing.

Sometimes Churches are more like 'motivational speakers' than preaching the word.
    Which ones ? Again, specific examples. Though it would most likely be moved to contro, as no church bashing is allowed here.

I don't want to make this thread a church bashing thread, just wanted to give another view on things.
    The very nature of your first post was exactly that. It's easy to be critical of others...Believe me , I know. It's one of my struggles. But until you are actually part of a particular body you really can't say what they are, or are not doing. It's easy from the outside looking in to be critical, and I'm sure there are some churches doing exactly what you're speaking of. But know this is nothing new. It's always been that way, and until Christ comes back will always be. Though the church will be more refined in the end times.

Blog Entries

That's because Christians condemn people who discover their rigid literal interpretations don't fit their empirical observations. The stumbling block can easily be Christians.
    Those who seek God with all their heart will find Him and be given sight. Those who seek their own agenda will remain blind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keck553 View Post
    That's because Christians condemn people who discover their rigid literal interpretations don't fit their empirical observations. The stumbling block can easily be Christians.
    In his case Hosea 4:6 suited better.

Blog Entries

Re: America is moving away from Christianity very fast

Context? .

Blog Entries

Context?
    Hos 4:6 - My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge;

Lack of knowledge of the Scriptures, no real concept of sin, seeing Jesus only as a good and important man.

Well maybe the fakers aren't ashamed anymore and they reverted to their true pagan roots.
    I think it goes beyond that. Back in the day, people were at least God fearers. They may not have trusted Him, but they respected Him. I don't see as much of that today.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries

Hos 4:6 - My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge;

Lack of knowledge of the Scriptures, no real concept of sin, seeing Jesus only as a good and important man.
    Got it. Yes.

What a fool believes he sees, and no reasoned man has the power to change that. Very sad indeed.

Blog Entries

These are trying and confusing times, it's getting hard to resist temptation; fasting, studying scripture and attending meetings with other believers requires more effort than talking to and arguing with vocal fools all day through the comfort of home over the internet. God opens people's minds to His love and truth only to those who search for Him, unfortunately it's easier to find and talk to a fool or nitpick the imperfections of believers than to find God.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbminimum View Post
    No. Because the church I am in has issues just like every other one. Christian people have problems too, hence the need for church.

Again, please give specific examples of what "they" aren't doing along with what the ARE doing.

Which ones ? Again, specific examples. Though it would most likely be moved to contro, as no church bashing is allowed here.

The very nature of your first post was exactly that. It's easy to be critical of others...Believe me , I know. It's one of my struggles. But until you are actually part of a particular body you really can't say what they are, or are not doing. It's easy from the outside looking in to be critical, and I'm sure there are some churches doing exactly what you're speaking of. But know this is nothing new. It's always been that way, and until Christ comes back will always be. Though the church will be more refined in the end times.
    No not all Churches have the same issues, not all are the same.

You don't understand my point in posting that. I don't want this to end up in a discussion. I deliberately generalized. It was on purpose. It is real issues we have to know about. The enemy attacks us from the inside trying to divide us as Christians. The modern world are changing fast and I wonder if we as Christians are always equipped to handle it.

Thread Information