cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: HE LED CAPTIVITY CAPTIVE ?

  1. #1
    mel35215 Guest

    HE LED CAPTIVITY CAPTIVE ?

    What exactly does the apostle Paul mean in the phrase, "when He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive...." (Eph.4:8) whom did our Lord lead captive?
    Last edited by qbee; Oct 22nd 2005 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Removed link

  2. #2
    journey360 Guest
    What exactly does the apostle Paul mean in the phrase, "when He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive...." (Eph.4:8) whom did our Lord lead captive?
    mel35215, Paul an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God is referring to our ascended Messiah, who is triumphant over Satan and his host of demons. The Lord led Satan captive. (Speaking those things that are not, as though they are...in a matter of time) Jesus is distributing gifts to "His" people. It is the faithful stewardship of our gifts on earth that will determine our position of service in Christ's reign.

    If you take a look at Pslams 68:18 David says the same thing. However, he is referring to when God delivered "His" people from Egypt and brought them out with treasures from the Egyptians. The gifts were used by the people of Israel to build the tabernacle where God might dwell. They were good stewards with the gifts God gave to them. They did not bury them, nor were they selfish with them. Of the gifts God gave to them, they consecrated them and gave back to God. Of the gifts God gave them, they gave back to God in the form of the tabernacle. Thereby giving of the fat thereof just like Abel did. Basically, they gave more back.

    Question is, are we going to be good stewards with the gifts that God has given to us as the people of Israel were? Do we really want good positions of service in Christ's reign? Choices.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado - Denver area
    Posts
    51
    Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

    uses psalm

    Psa 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, [for] the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell [among them].

    To answer your question directly, we are prisoners of sin and death until we accept Christ. That's what I understand to be taken captive by Christ's death and ressurection. The gifts given to man is the Holy Spirit and life and righteousness.

    Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
    Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    Rom 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
    Rom 6:20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
    Rom 6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things [is] death.
    Rom 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    yours in, of and by Christ, Christopher
    _____________________________________________
    The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
    and the leopard shall lie down with the kid;
    and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
    and a little child shall lead them. Isaiah 11:6

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mel35215 View Post
    What exactly does the apostle Paul mean in the phrase, "when He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive...." (Eph.4:8) whom did our Lord lead captive?
    Captivity. E.g., Satan, death, sin, etc. All that makes man captive, Christ overcame with his death and resurrection.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by journey360 View Post
    mel35215, Paul an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God is referring to our ascended Messiah, who is triumphant over Satan and his host of demons. The Lord led Satan captive. (Speaking those things that are not, as though they are...in a matter of time) Jesus is distributing gifts to "His" people. It is the faithful stewardship of our gifts on earth that will determine our position of service in Christ's reign.

    If you take a look at Pslams 68:18 David says the same thing. However, he is referring to when God delivered "His" people from Egypt and brought them out with treasures from the Egyptians. The gifts were used by the people of Israel to build the tabernacle where God might dwell. They were good stewards with the gifts God gave to them. They did not bury them, nor were they selfish with them. Of the gifts God gave to them, they consecrated them and gave back to God. Of the gifts God gave them, they gave back to God in the form of the tabernacle. Thereby giving of the fat thereof just like Abel did. Basically, they gave more back.

    Question is, are we going to be good stewards with the gifts that God has given to us as the people of Israel were? Do we really want good positions of service in Christ's reign? Choices.

    Good points, especially about the gifts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cajun country USA
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by mel35215 View Post
    What exactly does the apostle Paul mean in the phrase, "when He ascended up on high, He led captivity captive...." (Eph.4:8) whom did our Lord lead captive?
    Hbr 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage(subject to captivity).

    Resurrection He ascended and 'gave gifts' by sending the Holy Spirit.

    Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Teke View Post
    Hbr 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage(subject to captivity).

    Resurrection He ascended and 'gave gifts' by sending the Holy Spirit.

    Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    Thanks Teke, this is a good point. Does the Holy Spirit ever die? If the Holy Spirit does not die, where does He go, or what does He do when believers whom He has been sent to indwell do physically die? Does He leave believers upon physical death? Or does He continue to dwell with them in spiritual aionian zoe [life]? Does Christ withdraw, or rescind the gifts of the Holy Spirit when believers bodily die in Him?

    Blessings,
    RW

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cajun country USA
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    Thanks Teke, this is a good point. Does the Holy Spirit ever die? If the Holy Spirit does not die, where does He go, or what does He do when believers whom He has been sent to indwell do physically die? Does He leave believers upon physical death? Or does He continue to dwell with them in spiritual aionian zoe [life]? Does Christ withdraw, or rescind the gifts of the Holy Spirit when believers bodily die in Him?

    Blessings,
    RW
    Well we know the spirit doesn't die as it belongs to God who can never die because He is Life.

    Jesus described this,

    Luk 20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.


    And we are told,


    Isa 64:4 For since the beginning of the world [men] have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, [what] he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him.



    1Cr 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

    1Cr 2:10 But God hath revealed [them] unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

    1Cr 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

    1Cr 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

    We can only imagine.

  9. #9
    Out of interest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley
    4:8 Wherefore he saith - That is, in reference to which God saith by David, Having ascended on high, he led captivity captive - He triumphed over all his enemies, Satan, sin, and death, which had before enslaved all the world: alluding to the custom of ancient conquerors, who led those they had conquered in chains after them. And, as they also used to give donatives to the people, at their return from victory, so he gave gifts to men - Both the ordinary and extraordinary gifts of the Spirit. Psa 68:18.
    And
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Henry
    4:7-16 Unto every believer is given some gift of grace, for their mutual help. All is given as seems best to Christ to bestow upon every one. He received for them, that he might give to them, a large measure of gifts and graces; particularly the gift of the Holy Ghost. Not a mere head knowledge, or bare acknowledging Christ to be the Son of God, but such as brings trust and obedience. There is a fulness in Christ, and a measure of that fulness given in the counsel of God to every believer; but we never come to the perfect measure till we come to heaven. God's children are growing, as long as they are in this world; and the Christian's growth tends to the glory of Christ. The more a man finds himself drawn out to improve in his station, and according to his measure, all that he has received, to the spiritual good of others, he may the more certainly believe that he has the grace of sincere love and charity rooted in his heart.
    Good to find neither Wesley nor Henry giving any credence to the idea that it refers to Jesus "taking souls up to heaven" while he was "harrowing hell" for three days.

  10. #10
    Good to find neither Wesley nor Henry giving any credence to the idea that it refers to Jesus "taking souls up to heaven" while he was "harrowing hell" for three days.
    That was the opinion I was expecting to find, the harrowing of hell one.

  11. #11

    Smile Led Captivity Captive

    Why don't you think that Jesus led the souls that died in faith(waiting in a place for departed souls) out of captivity (just like the children of Isreal from Pharoh?
    That is what I believe "led captivity captive" means. He certainly didn't put Satan into captivity, that won't happen until the Millinium when Satan is chained for a thousand years. Paul even says, I am a prisoner of Christ. Those like Moses, Abraham, etc. they were all waiting for Jesus to come and He did and He "descended", led all those who were God's children out of the bondage of death. We are only free in Jesus! The type of the children of Isreal out of Egypt is the same thing. Moses did not lead Pharoh out of Eygpt. He led the children of Isreal out.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere big like Texas
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by arliewebb View Post
    Jesus led the souls that died in faith out of captivity just like the children of Isreal from Pharoh?
    That is what I believe "led captivity captive" means.
    I believe it does mean that! Just as Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of Man be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth. Matt. 12:40
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

    My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

    Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Somewhere big like Texas
    Posts
    2,273
    And I just saw what an old thread this is that has been resurrected! i didn't do it!
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

    My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

    Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

  14. #14

    Old Thread

    Yes, I don't know how this happened. This was my first time with Bible Chat. That thread came up. I like your name, by the way! My Hearts Desire! I assume it is Jesus!
    Glad to hear you believe the same way about "led captivity captive.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    upper midwest
    Posts
    1,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven3 View Post
    Out of interest:
    And[font=Arial]

    Good to find neither Wesley nor Henry giving any credence to the idea that it refers to Jesus "taking souls up to heaven" while he was "harrowing hell" for three days.
    -------------------------------------------------------

    Can you give some clarity as to your position on this ? "Where are" those righteous souls that were carried into Abrahams' bosom prior to Christ's coming and resurrection today?
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    ------------------------------------------------
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •