cure-real
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Where does the Bible Say We Have to go to Church?

Where does the Bible Say We Have to go to Church?

I am a Christian, and I have a Christian friend who will not discuss this civilly with me. She just tells me that "that's what God wants" and other simple arguments that she never supports. She'll send me an email from her pastor that dances around the topic, and states that it's good for the church if we go. I like the people at my church. It's a friendly environment. However, I feel like we waste so much time on our own concerns, that God is pushed to the back burner. I've been to several churches, and I find the same thing everywhere.

I am sick of pastors using God to justify their political beliefs. Two weeks ago, our pastor gave a lecture on how Islam cannot defend itself from attacks, because vengence is the Lord's. Then he goes on to say how we are obligated to God to retaliate when we are attacked... Huh? Ok, I don't want to get into political debates here - PLEASE! My point is that these sermons have nothing to do with the worship of God, but justification of our own seflish desires.

Next - Too many sermons are focused on debatable doctrine. Why do we have so many denominations and conflicting beliefs? Because there are very well-educated, God-loving Christians on all sides of any given issue. So then, why do we focus our church time on proving our own covictions to be accurate, and all others wrong? Because of our selfish desire to have God on our side, rather than a desire to change our views so that we are on God's side.

Why do we waste so much time in church NOT worshipping God?

I'd rather stay at home and listen to Alexander Scourby's reading of the KJV. I feel closer to God doing that and praying, then I ever have at church.

I'm not satisfied with someone telling me "that's what it says in the Bible," or, "that's what God wants," or, "God told me so-and-so..." Where does it say in the Bible that God wants us to go to church every Sunday, and that it's ok to judge and shout down those who don't?

Please give me a clear, specific verse, or chapter.... or a bunch of them, but please don't send me on a wild goose chase, I'd like an answer.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    Why do we have so many denominations and conflicting beliefs? Because there are very well-educated, God-loving Christians on all sides of any given issue. So then, why do we focus our church time on proving our own covictions to be accurate, and all others wrong? Because of our selfish desire to have God on our side, rather than a desire to change our views so that we are on God's side.

I'd rather stay at home and listen to Alexander Scourby's reading of the KJV. I feel closer to God doing that and praying, then I ever have at church.
    So, in order to solve the problem of disunity, you propose that everyone should just stay at home and worship God by themselves?
    a sojourner...
    Diognetus 5.1 Christians are not distinguished from the rest of humanity by country, language, or custom. 2 Nowhere do they live in cities of their own, nor do they speak some unusual dialect... 4 While they live in both Greek and barbarian cities, as each one’s lot was cast... they demonstrate the remarkable and unusual character of their own citizenship. 5 They live in their own countries, but only as aliens; they participate in everything as citizens, and endure everything as foreigners. Every foreign country is their fatherland, and every fatherland is foreign.whatisatuma?

It sounds to me like you need to go looking for a church. God does NOT command us to retaliate. The first thing I would do is pray hard about it. The second thing I would do is start checking the churches in your area. Ask the Pastor what the doctrine of the church is. Ask people on this forum questions (like you just did). Do your research. If any Pastor tells you that his is the only denomination that teaches the truth, RUN!!!

God will lead you where he wants you, but it will require effort on your part. As for where it says in the Bible thaty we have to go to church. We shouldn't go because we have to. We should go because we love God. We also need to go to encourage one another.

Hebrews 10:25.
    Heb 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another —and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
    This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. (Psalm 34:6)

Why do you waste time at church not worshiping God? When I go to church I worship God. I don't care what the guy sitting next to me does. I worship God. You get out what you put in.
    This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles. (Psalm 34:6)

redseeker Guest
    God never said that we had to go to church every sunday and its not okay to judge. Some verses that came to mind were:
    - Matt. 7 1-2 "Do not judge or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
    - Hebrews 10:19-25
    - and i just found this one.... Matt 18: 20 For where two or three come together in my name, there I am with them.

First off we shouldn't be judging people just because they don't go to church. People can carry on a relationship with God, w/o going to church. However it is better to have christian fellowship so as it says in Hebrews so that we may continue to encouarge one another. And church SHOULD be about worshiping God. If a church doesn't do that, either don't attend there, or get a group of people together and make it happen. But it shouldn't stop you from attending any church.

And the church is not just a building its the people.

Hope you found this helpful!
    REDSEEKER

I am a Christian, and I have a Christian friend who will not discuss this civilly with me. She just tells me that "that's what God wants" and other simple arguments that she never supports. She'll send me an email from her pastor that dances around the topic, and states that it's good for the church if we go. I like the people at my church. It's a friendly environment. However, I feel like we waste so much time on our own concerns, that God is pushed to the back burner. I've been to several churches, and I find the same thing everywhere.

I am sick of pastors using God to justify their political beliefs. Two weeks ago, our pastor gave a lecture on how Islam cannot defend itself from attacks, because vengence is the Lord's. Then he goes on to say how we are obligated to God to retaliate when we are attacked... Huh? Ok, I don't want to get into political debates here - PLEASE! My point is that these sermons have nothing to do with the worship of God, but justification of our own seflish desires.

Next - Too many sermons are focused on debatable doctrine. Why do we have so many denominations and conflicting beliefs? Because there are very well-educated, God-loving Christians on all sides of any given issue. So then, why do we focus our church time on proving our own covictions to be accurate, and all others wrong? Because of our selfish desire to have God on our side, rather than a desire to change our views so that we are on God's side.

I'm not satisfied with someone telling me "that's what it says in the Bible," or, "that's what God wants," or, "God told me so-and-so..." Where does it say in the Bible that God wants us to go to church every Sunday, and that it's ok to judge and shout down those who don't?

Please give me a clear, specific verse, or chapter.... or a bunch of them, but please don't send me on a wild goose chase, I'd like an answer.
    Thank you.
    Dear digger,

My friend in Christ. You and no one else will ever find anywhere in the Bible where it tells you that you must go to Church to Worship Our Lord. I can take you to scripture that tells us how the Church is suppose to be, and how it is suppose to be run, and how the disciples made the assembly of the Church, but I or no one else will be able to give you scripture that tells you that you should go to Church. Now don't get me wrong, people can make scripture to sound or mean anything that they want. But my friend, what you must keep in mind always is what God say's in his Word, that is how a Church should be. Now I am not in no way telling you that you should not go to Church. All I am doing is answering your question. I personally do not go to Church myself, but I have my own reasons for that. I believe that having Faith in our Lord is about a Relationship not Religion. I am in no way putting down the Church or anyone who goes to Church, this is just my opinion. So please do not judge me. Jesus did one of his most famous teachings out side of the Church, which was called the Sermon on the Mount. Most of the teachings Our Lord did were not in a Church (synagogues). When Christians tell me that I should go to Church I tell them how Jesus warns us about not going to Church in Matthew 10:17 when he say's, "But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge (whip) you in their synagogues. But I want to warn you my friend, taking a stand for Our Lord like you are is very hard to do in this day and age. Christians will tell you that you are not a Christian if you do not go to Church. Do not be surprised if your friend tells you that you are not a Christian because you do not go to Church. My friend do not believe them because this is not true. God does not care where you Worship him or give Praises to him, as long as you do it. God don't care if you do it in a field, in a car, or in a barn, just so you are doing it from your heart and you mean it with all of your heart. You just keep searching Gods Word and the Truth of it, and don't worry so much about what man has to say about where you need to Worship God at. God Loves you no matter where you are giving Him Worship at, and where ever you are giving God that Worship and Praise from, God is there.

Keep on, Keeping on,
    In Christ Love

BCF

2 Peter 1:20-21:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

Search and believe the Scripture, before you believe anything man tells you.

Thank you all for your answers.

You get out what you put in - simply not true. Not true at all. I never talk politics at church, I'm there to worship God. If I can't do that there, becasue I'm listening to some sanctimonious rant, I'll stay home. I think your logic has more to do with joining the team, regardless of what that team represents. And if this is the case, I have serious doubts about God wanting us all to mindlessly join that team.

Don't worry about what they guy next to you is doing - I'm not, just the guy at the front of the room.

He says he has the only truth, RUN! - That's what I've been doing. I'm so sick of church shopping. Think I'll try some non-denominational.

Where 2 or 3 are gathered - thinking about starting a private study group, or finding one. Maybe in a situation where people are seeking God rather than social acceptance, or a platform for their views that have nothing to do with God, I'll feel closer.

I'm so disillusioned with organized religion... I'm losing all faith in the church. If God is to be worshipped in truth and spirit, should I not avoid activities that impede that? Homophobia, misogyny, politics, economics, war... I really don't care what people think of these subjects... at least not when I'm at church.

"I stand outside the door and knock.." Maybe churches need doorbells.

Why is the church no better than the world? I thought the church was a refuge.

EDIT: Sorry I'm so frustrated. I want to find fellowship. I'm venting something that's built up for a long time.

BCF - saw your post after I posted. Thank you. I guess I'm just like most others in that I'm happy to hear someone agreeing with my beliefs... So I'm certainly not unbiased. It's encouraging to know that other Christians out there can support me a little on this... I don't know what to think, but thank you for your words.

I do not know od scripture that tells you ..that you must attend "church" as in a building but I can find many scriptures that tell us to that fellowship with other believers is for our good...and yes there aree bad things that happen when we fellowship with others..but you can only make a difference if you are there...leaving or not attending church does not make a differeence in how a particular church is ....

below is information I looked up...

FELLOWSHIP—sharing things in common with others. In the New Testament, fellowship has a distinctly spiritual meaning. Fellowship can be either positive or negative.
    Positively, believers have fellowship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (John 17:21-26; Phil. 2:1; 1 John 1:3), as well as with other believers (Acts 2:42, 1 John 1:3, 7). We have been welcomed warmly to fellowship with God, in the sense of sharing things in common with Him, for He has raised our status through the death and resurrection of Christ (Eph. 2:4-7). Believers are invited to share in common with God (1) a relationship as sons and daughters (John 1:12-13); His own holy character (1 Pet. 1:15), and the privileges of partnership with all things in Christ (Rom. 8:16; Eph. 2:6).
    All who have fellowship with Christ also need to nurture fellowship with other believers (Heb. 10:25), a fellowship that illustrates the very nature of God Himself (John 13:35; Eph. 5:1-2; 1 John 1:5-10).
    Conversely, believers are not to have fellowship with unbelievers. This means to not share in the world’s sinful lifestyle (2 Cor. 6:14-18). It does not mean to withdraw from society, for all believers are called to live and share the gospel with a blinded, unbelieving world (2 Cor. 4:1-7; Phil. 2:14-16).
    Hayford, J. W., & Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1995). Hayford's Bible handbook. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

FELLOWSHIP. (Acts 2:42) koinonia (koy-nohn-ee-ah); Strong’s #2842: Sharing, unity, close association, partnership, participation, a society, a communion, a fellowship, contributory help, the brotherhood. (Compare “coin,” “cenobite,” “epicene.”) Koinonia is a unity brought about by the Holy Spirit. In koinonia the individual shares in common an intimate bond of fellowship with the rest of the Christian society. Koinonia cements the believers to the Lord Jesus and to each other.
    Hayford, J. W., & Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1995). Hayford's Bible handbook. Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Fellowship—sharing together
    A. Based upon common:
    Purpose Ps. 133:1–3
    Belief Acts 2:42
    Conviction 1 Pet. 3:8
    Work Neh. 4:1–23
    Hope Heb. 11:39, 40
    Faith 1 Sam. 20:30–42
    Suffering Dan. 3:16–30
    Need 2 Cor. 8:1–15
    B. Persons sharing together:
    Father, the Son, and Christians 1 John 1:3
    Christ and Christians 1 Cor. 1:9
    Holy Spirit and Christians Phil. 2:1
    Apostles Acts 2:42
    Believers 1 John 1:7
    C. Things shared together:
    Material things 2 Cor. 8:4
    Suffering Phil. 3:10
    The gospel ministry Gal. 2:9
    Gospel privileges Phil. 1:5
    Gospel mystery Eph. 3:9
    Lord’s Supper Mark 14:22–25
    1 Cor. 10:16, 17
    The Open Bible : New King James Version. 1998, c1997. Includes indexes. (electronic ed.) (Ge 1:1). Nashville: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

I also found some related articles on Church itself if you are i ntrested in them...sorry I quoted more then I said but I am not near as good as explaining what I read....

I do believe fellowship with other believers is a very important part of our walk with God...
    Those who judge do not matter and those who matter do not judge!

A four-year-old was praying one night, having been listening at church: “And forgive us our trashbaskets as we forgive those who put trash in our baskets.”
    Morgan, R. J. (2000).

Why is the church no better than the world?

In my opinion, it is because the Church has forgotten how to Love, and the reason they had forgotten how to Love is because it has forgotten it's first Love, and the reason it has forgotten it's first Love is because it is all about Religion.

Jesus is not about Religion. Jesus is about Love, and Relationship. The Church of today has nothing to do with either one of these things. They do in the world way of doing them (love and relationship), but not Gods way.

But just my opinion.
    In Christ Love

BCF

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

Digger-

You are almost in a good place. Almost.

You are sort of seeking true religion, but sort of just bitter. I'm not saying this to make fun of you are put you down, I'm trying to give you some advice from someone who has been there and felt what you are feeling.

I'll tell you a secret that I have discovered in my years of seeking a true expression of the Church. If you have an attitude like what you have put accross in your posts, you will never find the Church as hard as you might look.

What I mean is this. Ranting about what a crummy guy your pastor is is worthless and unedifying. Have you ever asked the guy about any of this? Have you ever spoken up to anyone in your church about the way that you feel? If you haven't, you might be suprised if you do.

Allowing your heart to become bitter is not the answer. You are a Christian, so you must love and forgive. Does this mean staying at your church and enduring it? Maybe for you it does, maybe it doesn't. But you must ask the Lord for His will, or you will never know!

You ask good questions. You shouldn't accept the status quo if it doesn't line up with scriptures. But from what I can tell from your posts, you are still young in the scriptures and your knowledge of God. Again, I'm not putting you down, I'm just trying to save you some time and pain. Keep searching the Word, and be dilligent in prayer.

Most of all, remember humility. Humility, humility, HUMILITY! This is the most important thing for you to keep in mind. Ask for humility from the Lord. Strive for it in prayer and study of the Word. Strive for it in your daily life. Let humility be your goal. That is how you will one day find true Christian fellowship. It is the ONLY way you will find it, no matter how hard you look.

I learned this the hard way. I pray that you won't have to!
    a sojourner...
    Diognetus 5.1 Christians are not distinguished from the rest of humanity by country, language, or custom. 2 Nowhere do they live in cities of their own, nor do they speak some unusual dialect... 4 While they live in both Greek and barbarian cities, as each one’s lot was cast... they demonstrate the remarkable and unusual character of their own citizenship. 5 They live in their own countries, but only as aliens; they participate in everything as citizens, and endure everything as foreigners. Every foreign country is their fatherland, and every fatherland is foreign.whatisatuma?

Thank you all.. All of your posts have been helpful, but especially asojourner and BCF. (EDIT: no, they ALL are very helpful) I really liked the post on fellowship, asojourner (EDIT: sorry, mheat). I know my attitude doesn't help. I've become very cynical. I moved, and I'm really new in this church, so I haven't spoken up... I don't think it's my place yet. The pastor is not a crummy guy at all. They are very friendly people who love and worship the Lord. It's a small church, and they are doing their best. Unfortunately, as they speak of how poorly other churches are doing in terms of obedience to God, they seem to follow a lot of the same formulas. I really hope they don't read this and think I hate them. They have been nothing but welcoming to me. I'm just really confused and frustrated about church... not about being a Christian. I just wish the people (one friend really) I care about would listen to what I have to say. I'm no expert on scriptures. I know that. Still, I feel uncomfortable simply buying what whoever happens to be around tries to sell me regarding what the Bible really says or means. There is a lot of brainwashing in the name of religion out there. Not everyone, of course. I'm just trying to find a way to be obedient to God without simply subscribing to the beliefs of those around me - just because they go to church. The truth is hard to find, and very well defended.
    Last edited by digger; Aug 20th 2006 at 04:45 AM. Reason: mistakes

it's Sunday where I am. there's still 2 or 3 of us following this thread.. so...

Thanks for the help, all.

Pardon my frustration, please.

This is really nice.

Thank you all.. All of your posts have been helpful, but especially asojourner and BCF. I really liked the post on fellowship, asojourner. I know my attitude doesn't help. I've become very cynical. I moved, and I'm really new in this church, so I haven't spoken up... I don't think it's my place yet. The pastor is not a crummy guy at all. They are very friendly people who love and worship the Lord. It's a small church, and they are doing their best. Unfortunately, as they speak of how poorly other churches are doing in terms of obedience to God, they seem to follow a lot of the same formulas. I really hope they don't read this and think I hate them. They have been nothing but welcoming to me. I'm just really confused and frustrated about church... not about being a Christian. I just wish the people (one friend really) I care about would listen to what I have to say. I'm no expert on scriptures. I know that. Still, I feel uncomfortable simply buying what whoever happens to be around tries to sell me regarding what the Bible really says or means. There is a lot of brainwashing in the name of religion out there. Not everyone, of course. I'm just trying to find a way to be obedient to God without simply subscribing to the beliefs of those around me - just because they go to church. The truth is hard to find, and very well defended.

That's great. I'm glad that you found a Church that you can attend. Do so and do so faithfully as long as you have peace about going. Always listen to your heart and to what is being taught. Make sure that what is being taught in the pulpit, is being produced in the Church. Continue to read the scripture and grow in the Lord, and feel free to always ask questions. There is never a stupid question when it comes to learning about Our Lord. God wants us to Love Him just as much as He Loves Us. One peice of advice that I will give you though is this. If you are not sure of what you are being told, look it up in the Bible and see what God say's about the issue. God will never ever lead you wrong.

May God bless you Richly with your New Found Church, and in All of Your Understanding.
    In Christ Love

BCF

Thanks BCF. I'll be doing what I can.

Thread Information